Thanatos

Rank the Superbowl Contenders

As per title.

Which teams are true contenders as we approach the last quarter of the season? Which teams do you think actually have a shot at winning the whole thing? My top six, and truly the only teams I think have a legitimate shot, (and yes, no Kansas City- these are highly subjective, obviously, feel free to disagree and tell us KC does have a legitimate shot):

1. :Seahawks:

Yeah I know I am really going out on a limb here. But the Hawks have to be NFC favorites at this point- in order for them not to go, someone is going to have to come into Seattle and beat them on their own turf. The Saints proved they'd have a very hard time doing that.

2. :Patriots:

Yes, New England > Denver. Peyton Manning does not do well in cold weather, the defense is below average, and I simply don't see the Broncos winning the AFC. Even if they do, the Superbowl is outside in the cold.

3. :Broncos:

Denver does have the tools to overcome Peyton's shortcomings in cold weather, but it remains to be seen if they can put it all together and beat three quality teams in a row in the cold.

4. :panthers:

Carolina is built to take out some of those teams with elite QBs. Why? Their offense is 1st in the NFL in plays/drive, (8.9), and time per drive. They keep opposing QBs on the bench for a LONG time. Never was this more apparent than during the NE/CAR game where anyone who watched the game saw Brady surgically dissect the Panthers vaunted defense in the second half- but the Patriots still only put up 20 points. The Panthers offense moves the ball methodically and keeps opposing teams from having many opportunities.

5. :49ers:

The Niners, despite being humiliated the last two times they went into Seattle, still know their divisional opponent like few other teams. They still use the run-game in much the same way Carolina does, keeping opposing offenses sitting on the bench. The issue here would be Kaep's struggles as a passer. If he is asked to do what is needed, I'm not sure that he can.

6. :Saints:

I truly believe that the only way New Orleans gets a shot at the Superbowl title is if someone else takes out the Seahawks for them. Nawlins is not built to go into Seattle and beat them. But if someone else does, and they take the #2 seed, they could have a win and you're in the Superbowl game played at the Dome.

• Upvote 1

1. :Patriots: Been there, done that, don't bet against Brady in January, etc.

2. :Seahawks: HFA is more valuable to them than any team in the NFL, but I worry about them in a cold weather Super Bowl.

3. :Broncos: Peyton is a historic playoff choker, but he was, in all fairness, a Rahim Moore fuck-up away from the AFCCG last year.

4. :Saints: They're still on track for the #2 seed, and they seem like the type of team that would love a rematch in Seattle.

5. :Lions: We all know they're hot and cold, but if they're hot, I feel like they could surprise people and win a playoff game in Seattle.

6. :Packers: Even with a .500 (sort of) record, they're not too far away from the playoffs. If Aaron Rodgers comes back at the right time, they can get hot at the best time. They've done it before.

Edited by SteVo

Seattle's defense would destroy Matt Stafford, man. No way in hell are the Lions contenders.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to add a team that I think is dangerous if they make the playoffs.

1. :Seahawks:

2. :Broncos:

3. :Patriots:

4. :Saints:

5. :Cardinals: (if they get in)

6. :panthers:

7. :49ers:

8. :Chiefs:

9. :Ravens:

10. :Bengals:

11. :Bears: (if they somehow get in, I think Marshall and Alshon could go off)

12. :Eagles: (if they get in AND if Foles stays hot)

13. :Cowboys:

14. :Lions:

Seattle's defense would destroy Matt Stafford, man. No way in hell are the Lions contenders.

Bware, king of absolutes.

In reference to your other post, Arizona doesn't scare me one bit. Carson Palmer is inconsistent on a good day and their offensive line still stinks.

And then he lists them as contenders? I'm confused. Bware this isn't just about listing all the teams that could make the playoffs.

I want you to tell me which teams actually have a shot at winning the whole thing. Yes, this is going to require going out on a limb sometimes and saying why "good" teams just aren't good enough.

Which teams do you look at and say, "Yes, those guys actually can win the whole thing."

You notice Stevo doesn't have Carolina or San Fran listed. He's not saying they won't make the playoffs, (I think), simply that he doesn't think they actually win the Super Bowl.

You notice Stevo doesn't have Carolina or San Fran listed. He's not saying they won't make the playoffs, (I think), simply that he doesn't think they actually win the Super Bowl.

I thought very heavily about including both of them, especially Carolina. My gut just tells me they'll make the playoffs this year but won't make much noise; next year, watch out. As for San Fran, I really don't know what to think of them. What happened to Kaepernick?

Also I wanted to think outside the box a little and mention some teams others are brushing off (Lions, Packers).

And then he lists them as contenders? I'm confused. Bware this isn't just about listing all the teams that could make the playoffs.

I want you to tell me which teams actually have a shot at winning the whole thing. Yes, this is going to require going out on a limb sometimes and saying why "good" teams just aren't good enough.

Which teams do you look at and say, "Yes, those guys actually can win the whole thing."

Every team I listed has a shot, under the right circumstances. They've all shown to be very solid teams. Anything can happen.

:Seahawks:

:Broncos:

:Patriots:

:panthers:

:Saints:

:49ers:

:yep:

• Upvote 1

At this point, it's tough but this is how I put them right now. (Pre-Saints/Panthers)

Seattle Seahawks

Denver Broncos

San Francisco 49ers

New Orleans Saints

Carolina Panthers

New England Patriots

Philadelphia Eagles

People can say what they want about the 49ers but they've been playing good football. They're last couple losses have been within like 4 or 5 points total I think. They had 2 real bad losses in the beginning of the season, mainly because they really got away from what has made them such a strong football team - running the football. If they can run the football and Kaepernick can start making plays with his legs again, they've got a great team.

The Eagles just need to play bend but don't break defense. If Foles keeps playing like he is and they actually do make the playoffs, I think you've got to look out for them. LeSean McCoy has been a stud this season

Never bet against Tom Brady

Cam Newton and Company have been getting better and better each week.

Denver is a great football team and their offense is ridiculous now that Moreno is finally performing as he was projected out of his draft, but they need to do a better job on defense if they are going to get anywhere in the playoffs.

Seattle is the hands down favorite.

The Saints are just what they are. The Saints. A high flying offense with a solid defense. I don't think they can dethrone the Seahawks in a 1 and done football game though. They just don't matchup well against them.

The darkhorse has to be the Packers here. If they can get one win without Rodgers, and they will because the Falcons are terrible, they still have a shot. Rodgers is projected to return next week and I don't think he'll take long to re-acclimate. Perfect timing for the Pack.

BUT, if I was to list absolute contenders, I'd say Seahawks, Saints, 9ers, Panthers, Broncos, Pats, Colts (if they get the ship righted.

1. Seahawks

2. Saints

3. Patriots

4. Broncos

5. 49ers

6. Panthers

Like Thanatos said, I don't see the Saints going into Seattle and winning. It's hard to see anyone doing so. But I think both the 49ers and the Panthers have the tools to do so. The reason I have New Orleans over them is just because they have three advantages that I like: Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and homefield advantage.

It's easy to see a Denver vs New England AFC Championship Game. However, I just don't trust Denver (Manning) to take care of business against New England (Brady). All while I don't trust New England against teams like Miami, Cinci, and even Bmore/Pittsburgh. Kansas City would be a contender with home field advantage but I don't trust them to beat a good team on the road.

The darkhorse has to be the Packers here. If they can get one win without Rodgers, and they will because the Falcons are terrible, they still have a shot. Rodgers is projected to return next week and I don't think he'll take long to re-acclimate. Perfect timing for the Pack.

The Vikings are terrible too, and the Packers only managed a tie at home. Division rivalry and coaches putting themselves first plays a role, but I wouldn't write off the Falcons in that game just yet.

Seattle- They can play with anyone. They're extremely versatile. They can play defense and match up against any offense in the league, the can run the football on just about anybody and perhaps most importantly they have a young dual threat QB who has already shown how dangerous he can be in a playoff environment

New England- Patriots finally have a defense and they're starting to get some of their offensive weapons back on the field...oh yeah, and Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are still in town. If the Patriots can stay healthy, this might be a more dangerous team than either of their last two super bowl teams.

New Orleans- Drew Brees has a pretty good defense. Look the fuck out. This man has already put up some God-like playoff numbers in the past and we know he's capable of winning the big one already.

San Francisco- So Kaepernick isn't playing the way he did down the stretch last year. The 49ers have proven they're a dangerous team with mediocre QB play time and time again. Frank Gore still has some juice left and that defense is still pretty awesome.

Green Bay- I can never count out the Packers until they're officially done. Aaron Rodgers is arguably the greatest post season QB ever statistically. Not saying I'd go that far with Joe Montana's 4 Super Bowl rings and 3 Super Bowl MVP's, but they argument could be made. As bad as the Packs defense is, (and it's bad) a healthy Rodgers gives them a shot to beat anyone.

I know I listed Green Bay and they're in 3rd place in their division and would probably have to win out to even think about getting in, but of all the times that have better shots at making the playoffs I just don't any of them being good enough to be serious threats to win it all. Oh and yes, I'm a Peyton hater but the guy has been one and done far too many times. Stevo said he was a Rahim Moore fuck up from being in the AFCCG, but a QB of his caliber should ALWAYS win when they get two special teams TD's. The only excuse would if his team gave up 1 or 2 which they didn't. Peyton lost to an inferior team last year, any way you slice it.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

1. :Browns:

2. :jags:

3. :Texans:

4. :Redskins:

5. Florida State

Make a real list, pussy.

1. Seahawks - Seattle is healthy and rolling (excepting Harvin of course). If they clinch the #1 seed like it appears they will it's hard to see anyone standing between them and the Superbowl.

2. Broncos - Peyton Manning tripped at the finish line last year. This year he's playing even better. Yeah he's banged up and still struggles in the cold, but even so it'll be hard to keep Denver from representing the AFC this year.

3. Saints - Yes the Saints got slapped around in Seattle. They're still a dangerous team and Drew Brees with a legitimate defense is a frightening concept to consider.

4. Patriots - Even as depleted as they've been this year the Patriots are still an AFC powerhouse. They're getting healthier at the right time and Brady is always a post-season juggernaut.

5. Panthers - This is one of the few teams that might be able to stop Seattle at home. Their defense can slow down anyone and their offense is getting better. The question is if they can survive to get to Seattle.

6. 49ers - As much as I hate the Niners they still have everything they need to make it back to the big game. However that's only if Kaepernick can figure out how to play in a hostile, high pressure environment like Seattle without losing his cool and making costly mistakes late in the game.

1. :Browns:

2. :jags:

3. :Texans:

4. :Redskins:

5. Florida State

Make a real list, pussy.

OK. Real list.

EVERYONE IS FRAUDS.

Fuckin' nailed it.

• Upvote 2

Seattle- They can play with anyone. They're extremely versatile. They can play defense and match up against any offense in the league, the can run the football on just about anybody and perhaps most importantly they have a young dual threat QB who has already shown how dangerous he can be in a playoff environment

New England- Patriots finally have a defense and they're starting to get some of their offensive weapons back on the field...oh yeah, and Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are still in town. If the Patriots can stay healthy, this might be a more dangerous team than either of their last two super bowl teams.

New Orleans- Drew Brees has a pretty good defense. Look the fuck out. This man has already put up some God-like playoff numbers in the past and we know he's capable of winning the big one already.

San Francisco- So Kaepernick isn't playing the way he did down the stretch last year. The 49ers have proven they're a dangerous team with mediocre QB play time and time again. Frank Gore still has some juice left and that defense is still pretty awesome.

Green Bay- I can never count out the Packers until they're officially done. Aaron Rodgers is arguably the greatest post season QB ever statistically. Not saying I'd go that far with Joe Montana's 4 Super Bowl rings and 3 Super Bowl MVP's, but they argument could be made. As bad as the Packs defense is, (and it's bad) a healthy Rodgers gives them a shot to beat anyone.

I know I listed Green Bay and they're in 3rd place in their division and would probably have to win out to even think about getting in, but of all the times that have better shots at making the playoffs I just don't any of them being good enough to be serious threats to win it all. Oh and yes, I'm a Peyton hater but the guy has been one and done far too many times. Stevo said he was a Rahim Moore fuck up from being in the AFCCG, but a QB of his caliber should ALWAYS win when they get two special teams TD's. The only excuse would if his team gave up 1 or 2 which they didn't. Peyton lost to an inferior team last year, any way you slice it.

Just curious here, but how an you have San Fran as a legit contender and not Carolina? They're practically mirror images, except Carolina has the better defense.

Just curious here, but how an you have San Fran as a legit contender and not Carolina? They're practically mirror images, except Carolina has the better defense.

Frisco has the experience. They're a battle tested playoff team. This is Carolina's first playoffs in a while. I just don't see them winning it.

To get to the Super Bowl: (considering the Playoff path)

:Seahawks:

:Broncos: :Patriots: :panthers:

Darkhorses:

:Bengals::Eagles:

To win:

Any cold weather team mentioned above.

I believe the location will level the playing field because the Super Bowl will not be held at CenturyLink and the weather will most likely be inclement.

If Dalton gets hot don't sleep on Cincy. If he rolls into wild card weekend with casual Dalton-postseason fashion expect one and done.

The Bengals losing such a special player like Atkins for the year kind of scares me off them. If the Bengals still had him on the dline I'd be a lot higher on them.