Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Expressions that Annoy You: Sports, Music, General Every Day, etc.

Sports:

-When the word "resiliency" is used. I think it's more of a scientific term, whereas straight up "resilience" is more applicable in the sporting world.

-"Trickeration" is not a fucking word. "Trickery" is. Why don't any broadcasters know this?

-So and so has "heart." The heart is a muscle that pumps blood. The fucker plays hard. We get it.

Music:

-Best of "all time." The kinds of music we discuss haven't been around for "all time," so we shouldn't use that expression. It's annoying.

General Every Day:

-Swag, and other unnecessary abbreviations

-whenever someone refers to "fate" when it comes to jobs, relationships, etc. You decide what happens. Fate simply does not exist

-When people say they love something with "all my heart." What? That doesn't even make sense. So you can love someone/something with just one ventricle, or what? Fucking eh, people are stupid.

-I hate people who use the word "love" excessively in respect to what they think "love" can do for people. Shut up.

"You are what you eat". I just ate a burrito and I'm not a burrito.

• Upvote 1

"You are what you eat". I just ate a burrito and I'm not a burrito.

It'd be awesome to be a burrito.

You are literally a "something"

<_>

"Sorry" ending in a high note.

Saying it like that means you ain't sorry. It sounds like a two-syllable "oops!".

It makes me want to shoot the person right in the groin. And then I will reply the same way - sor-EEEEEE!

• Upvote 1

The word "literally" used when something isn't literal. I don't really like it at all, literally.

I literally never would have guessed that you literally do not like the word literally.

Sor-EEE?

• Upvote 1

"Drive it like you stole it". If I stole a car, I would definitely not try and stand out by driving super recklessly.

I hate when someone dies and people talk about them being "in their heart" and put their hands on their chest. Good God, death sucks but the only thing in your chest is a heart straining from clogged arteries.

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah I don't understand the annoyance with saying someone is "in your heart." That actually kind of makes sense...feelings towards people are usually heart felt, ya know?

"They're in a better place," on the other hand...I think I'd rather be alive and living life than buried six feet under. I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

It's slightly off topic, but I hate when Atheists get all bent out of shape over anything that anyone might say about anything that could possibly relate to the existence of a God or an afterlife or any sort of spirituality. I can understand getting irked when people try and force their beliefs on you, but when somebody says something just in passing...everyone has a right to their own beliefs, not just Atheists. I'm not AT ALL a religious person either, but just stfu and stop whining. It's such an unbelievably huge contradiction.

• Upvote 1

Life:

When people tell me "I know for a fact that God is real." I don't care what your beliefs are. You can't prove God is real, thus you can't know for a fact that he exists. The entire institution of religion relies on faith. You demean and diminish your message when you feed me bullshit about how you know "for a fact" that God exists.

I don't really want to send this thread down the rabbit hole that would put it in P&R, but I just want to say that this comes from both sides about as regularly, for every person who claims to "know for a fact" that God is real there's another who "knows for a fact" that God isn't real, bottom line is you can't prove either way, whether you believe in God or not there is a leap of faith to something that can't be proven, and I find both certainties annoying and think they trivialize the belief structure

anyway, on a lighter topic, I always find it obnoxious when sports commentators talk about certain players just wanting to win, because you know, the other 52 guys on the roster are just out there because they're bored, same with the 53 guys on the other side of the field, seriously, do you think any athletes don't want to win? because that's the implication when you single out individuals for their desire to win, to quote Herm Edwards:

• Upvote 1

This might not be a big deal to most of you but it's something that bothers me.

I absolutely hate...when Americans talk about America as 'this country'. I'm not sure why it really bothers me, but all I know is the way I hear it is in a negative light. Listen, I know we don't have everything straight here, but when you start saying 'this country' failed here, there etc...it makes me think you aren't thankful for the innumerable sacrifices that have been made to create our country. It makes you sound like you're ashamed of being an American citizen, and if you have so many problems with 'this country' why don't you go to a different country and enjoy life there?

I understand that America is fucked up in many ways, but I hate when people act like it's a terrible place to live..when there are so many other situations in the world that are far far worse then here. I'm not saying I'm all for America, I'm just saying that the lack of respect Americans give to our own country is sad.

It's a big reason why you don't see me talk about political affairs. I don't vote by choice. Say what you will, but as a non-voter it just gives me less of a reason to speak about the issues of America, which I don't. I'm thankful for what I have here, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I guess what I'm just trying to get at is the ingratitude of Americans, and the constant political talk.

I might be the only person that feels that way...but so be it

I love this country, but it's far more un-American to just accept the things that go on and be thankful for what you have. I understand your point, we have it a lot better than pretty much anywhere else in the world, however in order for our government to function properly people need to have opinions and knowledge about policies and decisions being made by our leaders. Not voting because you don't have enough knowledge to make a decision is pathetic to be honest. I understand not voting because it doesn't matter way more. If people were more politically literate I can guarantee you that we would be in a much better situation than we are now. I think regardless of where you stand politically that you can agree with the above statement.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I absolutely hate...when Americans talk about America as 'this country'. I'm not sure why it really bothers me, but all I know is the way I hear it is in a negative light. Listen, I know we don't have everything straight here, but when you start saying 'this country' failed here, there etc...it makes me think you aren't thankful for the innumerable sacrifices that have been made to create our country. It makes you sound like you're ashamed of being an American citizen, and if you have so many problems with 'this country' why don't you go to a different country and enjoy life there?

I understand that America is fucked up in many ways, but I hate when people act like it's a terrible place to live..when there are so many other situations in the world that are far far worse then here. I'm not saying I'm all for America, I'm just saying that the lack of respect Americans give to our own country is sad.

It's a big reason why you don't see me talk about political affairs. I don't vote by choice. Say what you will, but as a non-voter it just gives me less of a reason to speak about the issues of America, which I don't. I'm thankful for what I have here, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I guess what I'm just trying to get at is the ingratitude of Americans, and the constant political talk.

A similar annoyance: when people say we need to "take our country back." From who, exactly?? Did this phrase exist so commonly in the public sphere prior to Obama taking office?

Life:

When people tell me "I know for a fact that God is real." I don't care what your beliefs are. You can't prove God is real, thus you can't know for a fact that he exists. The entire institution of religion relies on faith. You demean and diminish your message when you feed me bullshit about how you know "for a fact" that God exists.

I don't really want to send this thread down the rabbit hole that would put it in P&R, but I just want to say that this comes from both sides about as regularly, for every person who claims to "know for a fact" that God is real there's another who "knows for a fact" that God isn't real, bottom line is you can't prove either way, whether you believe in God or not there is a leap of faith to something that can't be proven, and I find both certainties annoying and think they trivialize the belief structure

Agreed. I think I've ranted about this on TGP P&R before. Both religion and atheism try to answer a question that has no provable answer: Is God real?

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

Life:

This x10000. There's no point to putting effort into believing something if you can prove it. I have rediscovered my faith, personally, and I feel that my faith would be significantly weaker if I didn't have to put effort into it or if I didn't have to overcome my doubt.

I love this country, but it's far more un-American to just accept the things that go on and be thankful for what you have. I understand your point, we have it a lot better than pretty much anywhere else in the world, however in order for our government to function properly people need to have opinions and knowledge about policies and decisions being made by our leaders. Not voting because you don't have enough knowledge to make a decision is pathetic to be honest. I understand not voting because it doesn't matter way more. If people were more politically literate I can guarantee you that we would be in a much better situation than we are now. I think regardless of where you stand politically that you can agree with the above statement.

I don't vote because I lack the knowledge, that's not what I meant at all. My knowledge is that with 2 dominant political parties that are both in the wrong and really aren't going to make a difference either way...the only option to vote for is independent. Independents are growing, but not enough yet to make a difference in a Presidential election just yet. But in reality, my vote is minimal in the grand scheme of it all.

• Upvote 2

People who get pissy when you don't vote. When the only options are a dick or a turd sandwich, the only correct choice is to not vote. The way I see it, if a person cannot manage to get 40% of the popular vote (including people who do not vote) they should not be running a country.

Fight.

I actually just misunderstood what ATL said. I can understand not voting because the options are shitty and the only real choice right now is between who these two shitty parties elect to be their shitty candidate. It is kind of an exercise in futility tbh. I choose to because change has to start with somebody. I think it would be kind of dumb of me to suggest people vote for somebody else but a republican or democrat if I don't. I think by doing personal things like supporting local business whenever possible and voting and encouraging others to do so that I do my part.

Edited by seanbrock

When people say "I'm bored"...

I think Louis CK sums it up better than I can:

“I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say, ‘I’m bored.”

We have more than many countries, yes, which is why it's so infuriating that we squander the opportunity to be a truly great nation by continually electing morons and self-serving tyrants. You're preaching complacency in the name of patriotism. I agree that the two party system is a detriment to the U.S., but accepting your fate and lying down is the antithesis of patriotic.

We should be irate. Anger with the state of the country is not inherently "un-American". It's because we give a shit about America that we're upset. A quote from one of my favorite Kurt Vonnegut pieces (from 2005, but still relevant):

"I was once asked if I had any ideas for a really scary reality TV show. I have one reality show that would really make your hair stand on end: "C-Students from Yale."

George W. Bush has gathered around him upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka Christians, and plus, most frighteningly, psychopathic personalities, or PPs, the medical term for smart, personable people who have no consciences.

To say somebody is a PP is to make a perfectly respectable diagnosis, like saying he or she has appendicitis or athlete's foot . . .

PPs are presentable, they know full well the suffering their actions may cause others, but they do not care. They cannot care because they are nuts. They have a screw loose! . . .

So many of these heartless PPs now hold big jobs in our federal government, as though they were leaders instead of sick. They have taken charge of communications and the schools, so we might as well be Poland under occupation.

They might have felt that taking our country into an endless war was simply something decisive to do. What has allowed so many PPs to rise so high in corporations, and now in government, is that they are so decisive. They are going to do something every fuckin' day and they are not afraid. Unlike normal people, they are never filled with doubts, for the simple reasons that they don't give a fuck what happens next. Simply can't. Do this! Do that! Mobilize the reserves! Privatize the public schools! Attack Iraq! Cut health care! Tap everybody's telephone! Cut taxes on the rich! Build a trillion-dollar missile shield! Fuck habeas corpus and the Sierra Club and In These Times, and kiss my ass!

There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president. This was true even in high school. Only clearly disturbed people ran for class president.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

Oh, and @Phail: These are the fucks (PPs) that we're supposed to be "taking our country back from", though that phrase annoys me, too. Like people are going to get guns and march on D.C., lmao.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1