Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Ken Whisenhunt: Titans new HC

An ESPN.com report suggested that Winston Moss, the Packers’ assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach, could be among the candidates for defensive coordinator on new Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt’s staff.

Moss, 48, has been with the Packers since 2006. He has been assistant head coach since 2007.

Titans and Vikings improved the most in coaching IMO.

You could argue that Munchak and Frazier had bad QB situations that got them fired, but in either case, you can't argue against the coaching staff that's replacing them.

I have a fever... and the only prescription is MOAR BAROOOOOOOOOOOO!

:smug:

• Upvote 2

Titans hired Chargers TEs coach Jason Michael as offensive coordinator.

Michael has been an assistant with the Chargers since 2011 and worked alongside new coach Ken Whisenhunt in San Diego this past season. Whisenhunt will be calling the plays in Tennessee, but Michael will hold the title of offensive coordinator and handle the day-to-day activities. One of the younger coordinators in the league, Michael figures to spend this season developing on the job before getting a chance to earn a bigger role in 2015.

You could argue that Munchak and Frazier had bad QB situations that got them fired, but in either case, you can't argue against the coaching staff that's replacing them.

eh, I don't think the QB situation is the reason we lost to Jacksonville and Houston, or the reason we have three losses to two win teams over the last three years

I am definitely more excited for this coaching group than when we hired Munchak. At least this time I don't have to get a headache seeing how almost every coach that got hired last time during Munchak's hiring came from the Oilers in some form or fashion.

LOL.

I see us running a hybrid scheme for a season or two on defense like they started in Arizona until we get the pieces situated to convert more to the 4-3. I like what Williams does with his defenses, but the man replacing him (sort of) can do some pretty good things as well.

Really hope that Horton gets a HC'ing shot soon. He has a great body of work.

eh, I don't think the QB situation is the reason we lost to Jacksonville and Houston, or the reason we have three losses to two win teams over the last three years

I dunno man, Locker's been pretty bad against Jacksonville lol. His career stats against them: 36-64 56% 437 yds 1 TD 3 INTs in 3 starts. But mainly his problem has obviously been getting injured. The only time the Titans have beat Jacksonville during the "Locker" era is when Fitzpatrick played.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I am definitely more excited for this coaching group than when we hired Munchak. At least this time I don't have to get a headache seeing how almost every coach that got hired last time during Munchak's hiring came from the Oilers in some form or fashion.

LOL.

at the time I thought it was kinda cool, with the benefit of hindsight I realize that it demonstrates how half-assed the process was when Munchak was hired, I definitely think we've done a better job this time

I dunno man, Locker's been pretty bad against Jacksonville lol. His career stats against them: 36-64 56% 437 yds 1 TD 3 INTs in 3 starts. But mainly his problem has obviously been getting injured. The only time the Titans have beat Jacksonville during the "Locker" era is when Fitzpatrick played.

we also lost to Jacksonville with Fitzpatrick taking most of the snaps, and when you look at Locker's stats against Jacksonville you're really looking at one game because he wasn't asked to do much in the season closer last season (which we won with him under center) thanks to our defense and special teams and the one game in which he played the Jaguars this season saw him get hurt halfway through the second quarter after throwing 9 passes, so it's an incredibly small sample size

Titans hired ex-Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey as tight ends coach.

This has been in the works for about a week now, however it was uncertain whether Mularkey would coach the Titans quarterbacks or tight ends. Mularkey, 52, and coach Ken Whisenhunt worked together with the Steelers from 2001-2003. Mularkey was the offensive coordinator, while Whisenhunt coached tight ends. Whisenhunt replaced Mularkey as OC in 2004.

so I think we've got our coaching staff pretty much set at this point:

Offensive coordinator: Jason Michael
Quarterbacks: John McNulty
Running backs: Sylvester Croom
Tight ends: Mike Mularkey
Wide receivers: Shawn Jefferson
Offensive line: Bob Bostad
Defensive coordinator: Ray Horton
Defensive line: Giff Smith
Linebackers: Lou Spanos
Secondary: Sigismondo “Louie” Cioffi
Assistant secondary: Steve Brown
Special teams: Nate Kaczor
Assistant special teams: Steve Hoffman
I don't know much about most of the assistants, the main question to me is why Whiz kept Kaczor with as bad as our special teams play was for most of last season

New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt compared Delanie Walker to Antonio Gates.

Walker is going to have a chance to be a major part of the scheme. Whisenhunt and offensive coordinator Jason Michael are both former tight ends coaches who have hinted at using a lot of "12" personnel. Walker's career-best 60/571/6 line from last year will be within reach again. "Working with Antonio Gates got me excited about the position, and I think there's a lot of elements to what Delanie does that are similar in that capacity," Whiz said.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he is "excited about" and has liked what he's seen from Jake Locker.

"I am excited about finding out what he can do with our offense and trying to make things that he does well, have success with that," Whisenhunt said. "I know I have liked what I’ve seen from Jake, and I am excited about seeing him advance in this offense." Whisenhunt had previously been noncommittal to Locker but could be warming up to him a bit after watching film. We fully expect the Titans to bring in real quarterback competition for Locker.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt singled out LE Derrick Morgan as a player that impressed him after reviewing tape from last season.

Morgan, the 16th overall pick in 2010 and "offseason star" of camp last summer, registered 34 tackles and six sacks in 14 starts this past season. Pro Football Focus graded him out as a top-six pass rusher among 4-3 ends. The Titans are expected to transition to more of a 3-4 scheme under new DC Ray Horton, though they'll likely be "multiple" with their alignments. Most draft analysts in 2010 didn't like Morgan's potential fit in a 3-4. Some thought he possessed enough pass-rush skills for it. Morgan is 6-foot-3, 278.

Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt gave Jake Locker an underwhelming endorsement on NFL Network at the Combine.

Whisenhunt started "Jake is ...," then appeared to rein himself in and stutter, before saying "We're excited about Jake. He's our guy going forward." Whiz's body language couldn't have been less confident, but it does appear the Titans have internally deemed Locker their best option for 2014. They're not positioned to draft a top-end rookie passer, and free agency lacks viable starting quarterbacks. Whiz's first year in Nashville could be a rough one.

Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt gave Jake Locker an underwhelming endorsement on NFL Network at the Combine.

Whisenhunt started "Jake is ...," then appeared to rein himself in and stutter, before saying "We're excited about Jake. He's our guy going forward." Whiz's body language couldn't have been less confident, but it does appear the Titans have internally deemed Locker their best option for 2014. They're not positioned to draft a top-end rookie passer, and free agency lacks viable starting quarterbacks. Whiz's first year in Nashville could be a rough one.

:rofl:

funny, that's the first time I've seen anything but unequivocal support for Locker from anyone in the Titans organization, and coming the same day that Whisenhunt had this to say:

“Well, from what I’ve seen, Jake exhibits a lot of qualities that you can get excited about,” Whisenhunt said. “I think one of the strengths that we’ve done is trying to tailor what we do to fit the player, and until we get on the field with Jake and see some of the things he can do, we don’t know. You don’t know which direction it’s going to go, but I’m excited about what I’ve seen as far as those qualities that he’s exhibited. I think the arrow is definitely going up, and I’m looking forward to working with him on the field.”

Notebook: Titans GM Says QB Jake Locker is Coach Ken Whisenhunt's 'Kind of Guy'

that link also has an audio of the interview in which Whisenhunt makes the above comment ("Jake is ... ") and it came after a really awkwardly phrased question about the quarterback question, and like with everything this time of year I think people are fishing for storylines and reading too much into every comment from anybody with any authority

Edited by oochymp

Rotoworld hates the Titans, for whatever reason. They do nothing but make snide remarks about the most meaningless shit.

They'd try to turn a Titans player/coach saying he prefers ham and cheese to peanut butter and jelly in to some kind of controversy.