Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Ken Whisenhunt: Titans new HC

Nice hire by Tennessee. What does this mean for Jake Locker now?

Nice hire by Tennessee. What does this mean for Jake Locker now?

Success, if he stays healthy lol

On one hand I didn't really want him so I ain't mad. But on the other its looking like the Lions might hire Caldwell.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I think he's a good coach that got a raw deal with the Cardinals. After Warner retired they made no real attempts at upgrading the QB situation with the exception of the epic Kevin Kolb fail. He only had two losing seasons with a horrible organization and took them to the Super Bowl. It is a good hire for the Titans, but it is surprising he took this job over the Lions' one.

I'd say I'm more confused than anything with this, it's gonna take some time to actually process, I assumed (like everyone else who's following the coaching carousel) that he was going to Detroit, so I haven't really looked at his body of work much, but you gotta like what he's done with Phillip Rivers and he did have success in Arizona when he had a QB, so we'll see

We have a coach that made Arizona respectable when he had a QB and has been to the Super Bowl. I am happy with this hire.

Good hire for the Titans. The Lions again are losers imho.

lolLions. Go get Ray Horton or Mike Zimmer or hell, even Chud, or GTFO.

Chud is mine. None of you guys can have him.

Zimmer just had a 2nd interview with Minnesota. As Dmac said, it really looks like Caldwell is the number one option in Detroit.... Poor Lions, I almost feel bad for them.

yeah, hiring the offensive coordinator of the Ravens just seems like an incredibly stupid move. The Ravens were inept this year in both the passing game AND the rushing game. I understand that the Ravens offensive line is pretty terrible and the Lions have one of the most underrated offensive lines in the game, but what does Caldwell even bring to the table?

• Upvote 1

Chud is mine. None of you guys can have him.

What if I told you that John Harbaugh already has him in line to take over OC duties in Baltimore? :p

yeah, hiring the offensive coordinator of the Ravens just seems like an incredibly stupid move. The Ravens were inept this year in both the passing game AND the rushing game. I understand that the Ravens offensive line is pretty terrible and the Lions have one of the most underrated offensive lines in the game, but what does Caldwell even bring to the table?

he'd probably be better than Munchak, who it sounds like is Detroit's next best option, and really Caldwell taken a talented team to the Super Bowl, not saying anyone is going to mistake Matt Stafford for Peyton Manning anytime soon, but you can't say Caldwell's never had success, it's funny that so many people on here were quick to forgive Whisenhunt's poor seasons in Arizona based on lack of a QB but nobody seems to want to do the same for Caldwell, who had a team built around its QB then had to go through a season without him

Obviously, he brings plenty to the table.

faces-of-jim-caldwell.jpg

Edited by Sarge

https://twitter.com/MarcSesslerNFL/status/422884232097058816

I like the fact that the Titans got Whiz, easily the best HC candidate on the market...and now if they could lure Ray Horton in. I believe they are making signifciant steps to vast improvement. That Titans D is underrated IMO, have to make up for the lack of efficiency on the offensive side of the ball. Some good players on that D, and letting Ray Horton build that D up could be great.

Now the Titans need to figure out the QB and RB situation..but they are moving in the right direction with this hiring of Whiz

I want to keep Gregg Williams. Because fuck a 3-4.

I've seen a fair amoung written about this meaning we're going to a 3-4, but Whisenhunt kept the 4-3 for his first two seasons in Arizona, I've always felt like scheme isn't nearly as important as execution, as long as you have the right people for your scheme and they're executing it well you're gonna be alright, from what I'm seeing in Whisenhunt's track record he may prefer a 3-4 but he's not going to force a square peg into a round hole, we don't have the personnel right now to run a 3-4 so unless we can change that this offseason (highly unlikely) I don't expect us to use a 3-4 next season

Edited by oochymp

For those who might have missed the PC, here's some cliff-notes:

Whiz will call the plays offensively.

Denied switching to a 3-4 strictly, hybrid is possible.

Locker seems to be our guy for 2014, at the very least will have a chance to compete.

We do not appear to be committed to Chris Johnson

Smith is holding true to his word that he will let Ruston run this team

New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt plans to call his own plays.

Whisenhunt called the Chargers' plays this season, and at times during his six-year tenure in Arizona. Speaking at his introductory presser, Whiz said he wanted a 50-50 run/pass balance, and for his offense to resemble the one he oversaw in San Diego. The Bolts featured a balance attack this season, leaning on the run and high-percentage passes. It would be a good system for inaccurate Jake Locker, but there's no guarantee Locker will be the Titans' Week 1 starter.

Tepid is a fun word.

New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt offered tepid praise for Jake Locker at his introductory presser Tuesday, and said the team hasn't ruled out using the No. 11 overall pick on a quarterback.

Whisenhunt said he liked Locker coming out of college, but demurred on his pro game, saying he "really (hasn't) had a chance" to study Locker's tape. For what it's worth, ESPN's Ed Werder reports Whiz has a "favorable impression" of Locker. Either way, Locker is not going to be gifted the Titans' No. 1 job coming off another injury-marred campaign. Locker appeared to be making strides before going down this season, but was limited to 401 snaps. That's a small-sample size for a player who has always struggled with consistency.
Edited by Vin

“@jwyattsports: New #Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt is retaining Shawn Jefferson as his receivers coach. That's big for the team's receivers”

“@jwyattsports: Been told assistant secondary coach Steve Brown will also be retained as part of Ken Whisenhunt's staff with the #Titans”

“@jwyattsports: Jerry Gray, #Titans DC the last 3 yrs, has been informed he won't be retained on Ken Whisenhunt's staff. Contract expired last week”

“@terrymc13: Sounds like, as expected, #Titans will seriously look at Ray Horton to be their defensive coordinator. Worked with Whisenhunt in Arizona.”

“@jwyattsports: I don't expect senior defensive assistant Gregg Williams to be retained on Whisenhunt's staff with the #Titans either”

:megusta:

I would rather have Williams, but Horton is a solid replacement.

Keeping Jefferson and Brown is huge, IMO. Two great position coaches.

keeping Jefferson is huge, he's done great things with Wright and Hunter