Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Update: Browns match Jags offer sheet to Alex Mack

Impending free agent C Alex Mack is expected to test the open market.

Mack, 28, will likely be the Browns' top priority and could be franchise-tagged, but CEO Joe Banner may not believe in doling out that kind of cash to a center. Mack is going to be a hot commodity on the open market and is easily the top center available in free agency -- he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 center in 2013. He'll probably aim for a deal similar to the one Ryan Kalil signed with the Panthers at six years and $49.1 million with $19 million guaranteed. Mack has previously said he'll give the Browns a chance to match any offer, though that was before the coaching staff was fired after one season.
Source: ESPN.com

Edited by ATL

The Jags have a need at center, and the money to spend. Hmm...

The Broncos are cap-strapped, or I'd love to bring in Mack. Manram has been playing really well, but he occasionally has plays that remind you that he's a backup guard playing center. We'll probably draft center early this year regardless.

He would be a good signing for a lot of teams, but the Browns should really find a way to keep him if at all possible.

Why would they let him go?

I agree that I'd much rather franchise Ward than Mack, but we have plenty of cap space to sign both of them back. I dont think that Mack wants to come back though.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes there's a "much better chance" the Browns re-sign free agent C Alex Mack following the firing of GM Mike Lombardi.

Per Rapoport, Mack will still reach the open market, but was as good as gone under Lombardi. RapSheet said earlier Tuesday that he'd be "surprised" if fellow Browns free agent T.J. Ward didn't receive the franchise tag, suggesting Mack isn't a candidate to be tagged. Mack graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 center in 2013, and wouldn't lack for suitors in free agency.

Pckers $30 million under the cap. Gooooooo get Mack! Unless EDS is much cheaper, then he is fine.

Free agent C Alex Mack won't negotiate with the Browns until he returns from a humanitarian trip to Brazil at the end of the month.

The Browns' window to exclusively negotiate with one of the best free agents on the market is shrinking. But Mack doesn't want to talk money until he gets back to Cleveland and wraps his head around just what is going on in the organization. He's lost his position coach of five years in George Warhop and also liked Rob Chudzinski, who was canned after one season by a Joe Banner/Mike Lombardi regime that has since been replaced. The Browns are not expected to use the franchise tag on Mack as it would cost them roughly $11.2 million.

COME TO GREEN BAY ALEX! Let's do what you will never do in Cleveland, win championships! (Although going .500 would be a major accomplishment for him)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's no way this guy re-signs in Cleveland. They can give him as much money as they want. That organization is a total mess.

The Browns are better off putting the tag on TJ Ward. Alex Mack is a great center, but since the Browns can't run the ball anyway, they may as well use that big money elsewhere to help the team.

Man, if Thomas Dimitroff could bring Mack to the Falcons, we could slide Konz to RG where he actually played a little better and it would make our line so much better.

• Upvote 1

The Browns are better off putting the tag on TJ Ward. Alex Mack is a great center, but since the Browns can't run the ball anyway, they may as well use that big money elsewhere to help the team.

Man, if Thomas Dimitroff could bring Mack to the Falcons, we could slide Konz to RG where he actually played a little better and it would make our line so much better.

Baker, Blalock, Mack, Konz, Matthews/Lewan/Robinson

Significant improvement. I like the way you think boy.

tumblr_lwobmpkPmB1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

Edited by ATL

Tough loss. Players like Alex Mack are not easy to replace.

The Alex Mack news cycle continues in 2014.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that the Cleveland Browns view re-signing the veteran center as "priority No. 1," according to a person informed of the team's thinking.

Browns assigned the transition tag to C Alex Mack.

It's a one-year, $10.039 million tender. Aside from the much higher salary, the transition tag essentially functions as the lowest restricted free agent tender, giving the Browns the right of first refusal. They would have five days to match if Mack signs an offer sheet elsewhere, but would receive no compensation if he walks. The transition tag for offensive linemen is roughly $1.5 million cheaper than the franchise tag, but $10 million is still a huge total for a center. Mack will generate interest on the open market, but is now extremely likely to remain in Cleveland. The Browns had made it clear that re-signing Mack was their No. 1 priority.

So what's this do for the whole TJ Ward situation. I want to bring him back, but I'd rather have Byrd I believe.

If Mack signs elsewhere for more than we are willing to match, and we lose TJ Ward and cant sign Jairus Byrd, that would be about the worst possible situation.

So what's this do for the whole TJ Ward situation. I want to bring him back, but I'd rather have Byrd I believe.

Pettine likes his safeties back in coverage, and that's not Ward's game. I imagine he'll push hard for Byrd.

Transition player C Alex Mack fully intends to test the open market.

"I still have an opportunity to meet with coaches and experience free agency," Mack said. "That’s the goal. I like Cleveland; I know it. ... But there are other opportunities out there. You only get to play this game so long. Let’s see what else is out there." Mack appears intent on landing a long-term deal, but there are far worse fates for a center than playing on a $10.039 million, one-year tender. Mack should ultimately remain in Cleveland.
Source: USA Today

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Jaguars met with Browns transition player Alex Mack on Friday.
It's Mack's first known visit since being assigned the Browns' transition tag. The Jags have yet to make a formal offer, but there's "ongoing discussions" between the sides. With Brad Meester retired, Mack would be a massive upgrade on projected starter Mike Brewster. The Browns have to ability to match any contract Mack receives, so Jacksonville would have to get creative to lure him out of Cleveland. The Browns are also flush with salary cap space. Apr 5 - 5:11 PM
A league source told the Florida Times Union the Jaguars would likely have to create an offer sheet worth at least $22 million guaranteed over the first three years to lure transition-tagged C Alex Mack out of Cleveland.
Per OverTheCap.com, the Browns currently have $30.78 million in cap space, the most in the league and over $5 million more than the Jaguars. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted Saturday that there's a "very good possibility" Jacksonville extends Mack an offer sheet, but Cleveland has both the means and right to match. Because Mack was transition tagged and not franchise tagged, the Browns would receive no draft-pick compensation if they declined to match. Apr 5 - 6:09 PM

If we could somehow lure him away from Cleveland, we win the offseason. Won't happen since we don't win at anything, but I can dream.

screw your offseason Vin

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars will sign transition-tagged C Alex Mack to a five-year offer sheet by Friday.

Per Schefter, Mack badly wants to play the five-year contract with the Jaguars and doesn't want to return to Cleveland. Mack's agent and the Jaguars will structure the deal in a way that will make it as difficult as possible for the Browns to match it, even though Cleveland has a boat load of cap space and a desire to retain arguably the game's best center. Once the deal is signed, the Browns will have five days to make a decision. Mack is 28 years old.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Apr 9 - 4:20 PM

ROTOWORLD

Jags have had a pretty good offseason so far. If they take a QB at 3, they would have had an even better offseason

Only if they believe there is a franchise signal caller at #3. Otherwise, no. Don't waste a high pick on a guy you are unsure about, instead, use the round 1 pick to get another solid guy at a position of need, (the Jags still have plenty- how about Sammy Watkins?), and wait till at least round 2 to take a shot on someone you are unsure about.

Which given how well Gus Bradley has been doing, I fully expect him to do just that.

Edited by Thanatos19