Sign in to follow this  
Vin

F4E sad

Packers agreed to terms with DT B.J. Raji on a one-year, $4 million contract.

Last November, Raji now infamously turned down a multi-year deal that reportedly contained $20 million total and $8 million guaranteed. But as his play tailed off dramatically, he realized that rehabbing his value on a one-year pact with Green Bay was his best (and only) option. Raji has zero sacks over his last 39 games (including playoffs), has zero forced fumbles in his five-year career and graded out dead last against the run among 3-4 ends in PFF's 2013 grades. He's expected to move to nose tackle this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not going to lie, this deal for me is alright. Compared to what we were going to give him last season its a put up or shut up deal.

That said how the fuck is this Green Bay making their so called splash in the free agency market? Thats pissed me off the most

Edited by Arz

As I said in the other thread, this isn't the worst that could have happened. NT is still a Top 2 need on this team and finding the guy of the future would be very wise in this draft.

are you serious? zero sacks in last 39 games and he has no forced fumbles ever thats odd. seems like everyone one got on his dick because of the Caleb Haine INT in the NFCCG way back.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

There was once a time in which he actually cared about his play. He figured that his weight would be enough to push a big contract through and he was proven wrong. So glad we didn't give him a multi-year deal averaging 8 a season.

EDIT: Oh, and he better be moving back to NT. Not saying that will help him any, but we at leats have semi-decent players who can fill in at DE. We don't have anybody at NT.

Edited by Favre4Ever

@JosinaAnderson: Source: Julius Peppers has agreed to terms with the Green Bay Packers on a 3-year deal.

I don't exactly understand what Thompson is doing. He lets EDS walk and get a deal for about $3.5mill a season, while giving Neal and Raji $4million and now Peppers, who hasn't played 3-4, a deal up to $30 million over 3 seasons.

If Peppers can play well this will help Raji a lot. I love the peppers pick up, yea hes old but he can still make plays.

Clay and Peppers could be nasty

Yeah, it's like, the more and more free agency progresses, the more salty I get about this whole situation. We're paying both Sam Shields (an above average, but not elite cornerback) $10M per year. We're gonna pay Julius Peppers, an aging DE, $10M per year. But we won't pay an elite Safety that we desperately need $10M per year? We could have had either Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward for either one of those salaries, probably less for Ward but I forgot what he got in Denver. And I would have preferred that. Really hope we find the next Nick Collins in the draft this year otherwise... bleh.

Though, on a more positive note, having Peppers (if he plays decently), Raji (if he plays decently, at NT now), Mike Neal, Nick Perry, and Clay Matthews, we might have a pretty solid pass rush this year. For the first time since the SB. Plus if we can get Jolly back, which should be cheap, we'd have our run stuffer too.

Edit- Though again, it all depends on health. Out of that group, only Raji (idk about Peppers) has had a good history of staying off the scratch list.

Edited by badgers

Burn in hell, Ted Thompson.

Jairus Byrd was 9 million a year. TJ Ward was like 6 a year.... We won't go sign a guy for less money at a MAJOR position of need. Arguably #1 need.... BUt we go sign a 34 year old washed up DE who hasn't played in a 3-4?

I am going to go into convulsions... Holy hell.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm really glad that Dallas didn't spend too much money on Peppers.

LaMarr Woodley could have been had for cheaper and he's only 29.

Peppers has always wanted to play in a 3-4, though. When he was on his way out of Carolina all we heard was how Peppers was interested in playing 3-4 OLB. Should give you a good year or two of above-average, stopgap play.

Peppers has always wanted to play in a 3-4, though. When he was on his way out of Carolina all we heard was how Peppers was interested in playing 3-4 OLB. Should give you a good year or two of above-average, stopgap play.

I hope so. I have to imagine they have a plan for him... At the very least, hepefully he can take some extra pressure off Clay. Still too much money, IMO. Ugh. Lol.

Giving a 34 year old this much money scares the hell out of me. He was hurt a lot last year, and I am hoping that's why he fell off the face of the planet and that he can be healthy this year. About as many what if's as dollars.

Not to mention I have never been his biggest fan. >_> As long as Mike and Dom can find a spot for him and he doesn't make a complete jackass out of himself and the defense (not too much could actually make us worse), I won't have too much issue with it.

Still rubs me the wrong way that the two biggest needs on the team continue to be ignored. I guess that's what the draft is for, am I right?

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm really glad that Dallas didn't spend too much money on Peppers.

I suppose spending Ray Lewis money on Sean Lee has it's advantages.

Dallas could use a good dose of drafted talent this year. The day 3 variety.

I hope so. I have to imagine they have a plan for him... At the very least, hepefully he can take some extra pressure off Clay. Still too much money, IMO. Ugh. Lol.

Giving a 34 year old this much money scares the hell out of me. He was hurt a lot last year, and I am hoping that's why he fell off the face of the planet and that he can be healthy this year. About as many what if's as dollars.

Not to mention I have never been his biggest fan. >_> As long as Mike and Dom can find a spot for him and he doesn't make a complete jackass out of himself and the defense (not too much could actually make us worse), I won't have too much issue with it.

Still rubs me the wrong way that the two biggest needs on the team continue to be ignored. I guess that's what the draft is for, am I right?

On a scale of 1 to ATL how sad are you? :think:

More disappointed. If he can make an impact, I will wear his face in my avatar. lmao

His play declining and even said that in a press conference last offseason. Peppers could flourish in a situational role.

He's getting 7.5 mil guaranteed. Y'all acting like he's guaranteed the $30 mil. It's 2014, we should all know by now years and salary totals mean jack shit in the NFL. It's all about the guaranteed money and structure of the contract. Those years and total salary numbers are basically just fireworks that look pretty (or ugly in this case.)

• Upvote 1

Couldn't be more true.

He's getting 7.5 mil guaranteed. Y'all acting like he's guaranteed the $30 mil. It's 2014, we should all know by now years and salary totals mean jack shit in the NFL. It's all about the guaranteed money and structure of the contract. Those years and total salary numbers are basically just fireworks that look pretty (or ugly in this case.)

Yeah we all get that bro. We're just bitching because we're signing people who MIGHT help the team, without addressing our most pressing needs. We could have signed Jairus Byrd. Or TJ Ward. Both, if we wanted to, but we didn't need that.

Ugh. Our draft better give us a great safety that's all I'm saying.

I don't know how the draft is going to fall, obviously... but there are some middle tier safeties I like... Maybe that is what Ted is thinking? This does make me think we are moving Hyde to safety, which I would hate... But I suppose we all just have to wait and see.

Honestly, I'm not sure if Ted Thompson couldn't have asked his protege John Schneider about how to build via UFA.

Thompson has always been so averse to signing other teams' free agents. Clearly with the spend and in particular who he spent it on, indicates someone who doesn't have a lot of experience at this. At least he's got some ability to cut them in 2015. Although I'm thinking they'll wish they could cut them before 2014 is over.

Schneider is simply outstanding at getting talent at reasonable rates through free agency. And when he does go after guys, they are guys who generally are young. In the 25-27 year range. Guys that you can keep for the duration and let go for comp picks if possible after their 2 year contracts are up. With the reality that teams can cut you before your backloaded deal expires -- it's in the player's interest to sign a shorter deal with a certainty that they will see the end of it. They get an early jump on the UFA signing period when their deal expires which means they get access to the bigger contracts when they are up for their third contract. On a three year deal, they most often times are left out of the early spending spree until their teams release them.

These signings are so very anti Packers in fit. I don't really get what they are thinking. Honestly, I still expect Seattle to have a better UFA signing haul and they haven't really even started their work in the UFA pool.

They should have been able to get so much more with the cap space they had. Missed opportunity for them IMO.

The Seahawks have faltered in FA before and haven't had huge signings. They thrive in drafting and getting undrafted free agents, just as Thompson has done as well. Everything you just said applies to what Thompson has done so far, with the exception of Peppers. If anything, Thompson has avoided giving huge contracts to busts like Schneider did to Sidney Rice.

The cap space that is still available will be needed for extensions that some players deserve, like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Bryan Bulaga.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers are expected to re-sign free agent James Starks to a two-year contract.
Starks visited the Steelers on Monday and reportedly had two other teams interested in him. After rushing for 493 yards and three scores on 89 carries (5.5 YPC), it's a little surprising the 28-year-old couldn't find a team to offer him a chance to compete for a bigger role. In Green Bay, he'll return as the No. 2 behind Eddie Lacy, leaving DuJuan Harris and Johnathan Franklin fighting for scraps.
Related: Steelers
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter