Dutch

Top 10 WRs

Your logic is flawed. Last time I checked, all receivers need the ball to be most effective.

Brandon Marshall is a top 5 WR, without question, and it's not his fault he gets so many targets. He also gets flawed criticism over a high # of drops each year, but when compared to his receptions and targets, his drop % is actually quite low, compared to a lot of great WRs.

Do you look at stats before you post shit? Brandon Marshall drops, on average, around 12% of his catchable passes. His "best" year was 2009 where he "only" dropped 7.34%, good for 44th in the league (eliminating the bottom 25% of players in total targets). In all other years (save for 2009, a still shitty, middle-of-the-pack year) he was comfortably near the bottom of the league.

Year - Drop% - Rank

2013 - 13.04% - 79th/94

2012 - 9.92% - 48/82

2011 - 14.74% - 81/95

2010 - 13.13% - 70/89

2009 - 7.34% - 44/101

2008 - 13.45% - 64/81

2007 - 12.16% - 75/89

I've said before that I am not impressed by Brandon Marshall and I agree with Dmac. His target numbers are ridiculous, matched only by his drops.

I've been about the largest "anti-volume-stat" person on TGP for a long time and Brandon Marshall is a prime example of how volume stats are misleading and how averages are much more indicative of skill/production.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

Marshall had a lot of drops last year, yes, but take a look at these stats.

He was thrown at 158 times and had 100 receptions. That's 63.3% of possible catches being made. That percentage puts him on par with the following names.

Andre Johnson 61.9% (176 targets, 109 catches)

Larry Fitzgerald 63.6% (129 targets, 82 catches)

Eric Decker 64.4% (135 targets, 87 catches)

Alshon Jeffery 63.6 % (140 targets, 89 catches)

Would you take his stats, targets with his catch% over AJ, Jeffery and Decker? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Over Larry, sure, but I don't consider Larry a top 10 receiver right now.

Your logic is flawed. Last time I checked, all receivers need the ball to be most effective.

Brandon Marshall is a top 5 WR, without question, and it's not his fault he gets so many targets. He also gets flawed criticism over a high # of drops each year, but when compared to his receptions and targets, his drop % is actually quite low, compared to a lot of great WRs.

Do you look at stats before you post shit? Brandon Marshall drops, on average, around 12% of his catchable passes. His "best" year was 2009 where he "only" dropped 7.34%, good for 44th in the league (eliminating the bottom 25% of players in total targets). In all other years (save for 2009, a still shitty, middle-of-the-pack year) he was comfortably near the bottom of the league.

Year - Drop% - Rank

2013 - 13.04% - 79th/94

2012 - 9.92% - 48/82

2011 - 14.74% - 81/95

2010 - 13.13% - 70/89

2009 - 7.34% - 44/101

2008 - 13.45% - 64/81

2007 - 12.16% - 75/89

I've said before that I am not impressed by Brandon Marshall and I agree with Dmac. His target numbers are ridiculous, matched only by his drops.

I've been about the largest "anti-volume-stat" person on TGP for a long time and Brandon Marshall is a prime example of how volume stats are misleading and how averages are much more indicative of skill/production.

It'd be maybe a bit different if the catches he did make would amount to bigger plays, but more times then not, it doesn't.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I'm not at all dismissing the notion that Marshall drops far too many passes, and what Zack said about volume statistics is 100% correct, but to say he doesn't belong in this discussion is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

No one is arguing he's not a great wide receiver either, he's simply not one of the top 5. You can make the same argument for guys like Wes Welker and Roddy White that you're trying to make for Marshall, they're extremely consistent year to year and great at producing with bulk volume as well. Fact is though that they aren't the same elite talent level as the rest of the guys.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000359748/article/julio-jones-i-feel-like-i-am-the-best-receiver-in-nfl

Julio Jones: 'I feel like I am the best receiver' in NFL

Going back to the beginning of last offseason, NFL Media's Gil Brandt, vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys dynasty of the 1970s, opined that Julio Jones had a slight edge onCalvin Johnson as the NFL's premier wide receiver.

Needless to say, it was a controversial stance.

To the surprise of no one who understands how high-level professional athletes are wired, Jones agrees with Brandt's assessment.

"I feel like I am the best receiver in the league," Jones recently told Pete Prisco of CBS Sports. "Every receiver should feel that he's the best. It's all about confidence. You should never put another man in front of you and say he's better than you.

"I never compare myself to him (Johnson). When I was coming out of college, they used to talk about me and A.J. (Green). We're two different receivers. He's good at what he does, and I am good at what I do. Like the LeBron (James) and Michael Jordan thing. You can't compare the two."

From a statistical standpoint, Johnson wins in a landslide. If theFalcons' spread-the-wealth aerial attack is factored in, though, Jones narrows the gap. He's unquestionably the engine that makes Atlanta's offense go.

When Roddy White was dealing with a nagging high-ankle sprain early last season, Jones was on pace for a league-leading 131 receptions and 1,850 yards before foot surgeryshut down his run at a historical campaign.

"There's a handful of people on this planet," quarterback Matt Ryan told Prisco, "capable of doing some of the things (Jones) is capable of doing."

Now that future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez has retired, Jones should pick up where he left off early last October.

Although Jones is targeting a Week 1 return from surgery, he said Tuesday, via The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, that he is already "back to the old Julio."

One of the rare receivers capable of producing week in and week out as the focus of the opposing defense's game plan, Jones insists there is "no one, period" who can cover him one-on-one.

The revamped Saints secondary will be the first to test Jones' boast in the season opener.

I hate reporters... The initial headline said, "Julio Jones: I am the best WR in the league." then to click on it and it says "feels" (which is something you're suppose to do). Julio Jones is definitely an elite WR in this league. However with all the receiver talent there is in the league, I think it's hard to even justify him as top 5 at this point. I think he has top 5 potential and was on pace for an extraordinary season last year but he has to put it altogether in a healthy season.

Does anyone vouch for him being a top 5 receiver let along one of the best and if anyone doesn't, does anyone believe he can enter that category next season? And what do you think the top 5 list will look like next season?

Personally, I think he is a top 5 talent and will get into that category statistically next season barring injury. I like him more and think he's better than Demairyus Thomas and who knows how long Andre Johnson will be able to maintain that top elite production. This is what I think next years top 5 will look like:

:Lions: Calvin Johnson

:Bengals: A.J Green

:Falcons: Julio Jones

:Cowboys: Dez Bryant

:Steelers: Antonio Brown

I think Julio will break into that top 5 level next season.

Edited by Dutch

Availability is the best talent a player can have. I love me some Julio (I thought he was having the best 2013 before he got hurt) but...

Edited by RazorStar
numbers are hard

1. Jordan Matthews

2-10. Nobody Cares

Eagles 2014-15 Super Bowl Champs. Deal with it. :makinitrain::cool:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty damn good top ten list for our board, I like the weighted one better because it puts Andre Johnson in the top 3

Julio Jones is going to show everyone the type of stud he is this year.

Every receiver in the league should feel like they are the best at what they do. If they don't feel that way, I don't really think there is a spot for them in the league. If you don't feel like you are the best, then you probably aren't to confident in yourself.

Here's a consensus list for you guys. I even was nice enough to include MHG's three way tie for 10th.

:smug:

5. Demaryius Thomas 73

6t. Dez Bryant 70

5. Demaryius Thomas 730

6. Dez Bryant 653

I think Razor's weighted list is pretty accurate besides that Dez is better than Demariyus :smug:

I think Razor's weighted list is pretty accurate besides that Dez is better than Demariyus :smug:

:nope: More yards, better average, more touchdowns on less targets... and save the Manning argument cus more than 50% of his yards were after the catch. He's also one the best character guys in the league.

• Upvote 1

:nope: More yards, better average, more touchdowns on less targets... and save the Manning argument cus more than 50% of his yards were after the catch. He's also one the best character guys in the league.

Well, throw Thomas out the door. *Waits breaking news of suspension*

1. Calvin Johnson :Lions:

2. Josh Gordon :Browns:

3. A.J. Green :Bengals:

4. Demariyus Thomas :Broncos:

5. Dez Bryant :Cowboys:

6. Andre Johnson :Texans:

7. Brandon Marshall :Bears:

8. Antonio Brown :Steelers:

9. Julio Jones :Falcons:

10. Jordy Nelson :Packers:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remade list

1. Calvin Johnson :Lions:

2. AJ Green :Bengals:

3. Andre Johnson :Texans:

4. Alshon Jeffery :Bears:

5. Brandon Marshall :Bears:

6. Julio Jones :Falcons:

7. Dez Bryant :Cowboys:

8. Demaryius Thomas :Broncos:

9. Larry Fitzgerald :Cardinals:

10. Pierre Garcon :Redskins:

Honorable mention: Josh Gordon (He'd be #2 if he stayed on the fucking field)

Andre Johnson is fading a little. Still great, but not what he once was. In his prime, I'm in a minority that thinks he was better than Megatron.

I can't put Nelson in my top 10. I think Rodgers makes him look much better than he really is. His production dropped off significantly once Rodgers went down last year.

I can't put Nelson in my top 10. I think Rodgers makes him look much better than he really is. His production dropped off significantly once Rodgers went down last year.

It makes total sense that any receiver's numbers would drop significantly when going from Aaron Rodgers to Matt Flynn and Scott Tolzien.

He averaged 4.57 catches for 62 yards (13.5 YPC) while Rodgers was out. That's 73/992 on a full season. Very good numbers considering who was under center.

And when Rodgers was in, his production was elite.

It makes total sense that any receiver's numbers would drop significantly when going from Aaron Rodgers to Matt Flynn and Scott Tolzien.

He averaged 4.57 catches for 62 yards (13.5 YPC) while Rodgers was out. That's 73/992 on a full season. Very good numbers considering who was under center.

And when Rodgers was in, his production was elite.

Vincent Jackson put up 78/1,224 with Mike Glennon and Josh Freeman as his QB's.

Larry Fitz has been putting up great numbers with garbage QB's pretty much his entire career.

Those are two guys off the top of my head who I would no doubt have over Nelson that you don't.

I'm not saying Nelson is a bad receiver, I think he is good, just not top 10.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

Vincent Jackson put up 78/1,224 with Mike Glennon and Josh Freeman as his QB's.

Larry Fitz has been putting up great numbers with garbage QB's pretty much his entire career.

Those are two guys off the top of my head who I would no doubt have over Nelson that you don't.

I'm not saying Nelson is a bad receiver, I think he is good, just not top 10.

It was almost all Mike Glennon, who for my money is way better than Flynn or Tolzien. There's also the issue of competing for targets-- VJ was the only show in town.

Fitz in his prime was way better than Jordy, but he's fading. Two years ago, he's definitely ranked higher.

• Upvote 1

Redid my list. Wanted to throw some of my bias out the window and think in terms of if I had to take a WR for a season, who would I take. Here it is:

1. :Lions: Calvin Johnson

2. :Bengals: A.J Green

3. :Browns: Josh Gordon

4. :Texans: Andre Johnson

5. :Bears: Brandon Marshall

6. :Cowboys: Dez Bryant

7. :Falcons: Julio Jones

8. :Broncos: Demaryius Thomas

9. :Steelers: Antonio Brown

10. :Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald

Edited by Dutch

I really disagree with Demaryius being so low on your list, dutch. I think he is right up there in the top 3 in terms of explosiveness, breaking tackles, breakaway speed, he's really shifty for his size and hard to get a clean tackle on him. Definitely a very good route runner, gets inside position really well especially on those slant routes in the end zone. I'd probably put him 3rd on my list behind Megatron and Josh Gordon.

I don't see how someone can leave Alshon Jeffery off any top 10 list. Rewatching some Bears games from last year and not only is he exceptionally athletic in comparison to Marshall, but he is so tall and big he's becoming a master of the screen game and also catches a lot of Dez-Bryant-esque back shoulder passes he can make just with using his body to get open. What this guy is doing with mediocre quarterbacks has me choosing him over Marshall and Andre at this point. Taking an old Fitzgerald over him is just insulting though.