Vin

Greatest Rock Vocalist of All-Time

So I think it's about time we finish up our "Greatest Rock" series by finishing up with vocalists. We've already done guitarists (Jimi Hendrix), bassists (Chris Squire), and while the drummers topic never really got off the ground, everyone knows Neil Peart was gonna win anyway. So that leaves us with vocalists remaining.

Some questions before we start:

1. Do we even want to do this? I though it might be a fun time-killer, but all of them since the original guitarist thread have gotten less and less action, with the drummer topic not even getting off the ground. Though with the drummer tourney, when you've only got a couple guys that have a legit chance at winning it, that kinda stifles discussion, IMO.

2. How do we want to classify this? Do we just want to do rock/metal? Open it up to every genre? Just do frontmen only? (just so Dave Mustaine and his silly voice can get a nod) What do?

I had more questions, but my memory is apparently awful and I don't remember what they were.

So, yeah.

Thoughts?

• Downvote 1

Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper were great frontmen, not great singers. Just wanted to state that.

Steve Perry. Dude can do stuff vocally that normal men can't do. If not him, I put Freddy Mercury right up there.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley.

You know, the truly talented singers of the big 4 of grunge.

Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley.

You know, the truly talented singers of the big 4 of grunge.

I love Nirvana but I agree. Also laugh my ass of when I see Cobain on guitar lists.

None of these posts answered my questions. :(

1. Yes, we should do it.

2. We should just call it "rock vocalist," since that's what the guitar/bassist tournies were, but that should mean "rock" in a broad sense so as to include metal.

3. The drummer tourney would have come down to a Bonham/Peart final, and since TGP is so intelligent, Bonham would have won.

• Upvote 1

Peart>> bonham but no need for technicalities. but yes we should do this and I agree with stevo on the second point.

I'd vote.

Peart>> bonham but no need for technicalities.

gtfo

Vin, what I think you meant to post was something about officially crowning Chris Cornell TGP's Greatest Rock Vocalist.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

The only wrinkle I see in this: should we extend it to best rock "frontman" to include guys like James Hetfield? Or do guys like Hetfield count anyway since they're lead vocalists for their respective band?

Are we honestly considering Bonham over Peart? I mean, Peart's technical skill is phenomenal, but he's not just skilled. The guy knows how to compose drum arrangements. Haven't we all heard Red Barchetta? Them verse fills. So damn catchy. And that's practically every Rush song, haha.

I also nominate Myles Kennedy in the vocalist department.

The only wrinkle I see in this: should we extend it to best rock "frontman" to include guys like James Hetfield? Or do guys like Hetfield count anyway since they're lead vocalists for their respective band?

Those guys count, for sure. I mean, think about it. Eliminating guys who play(ed) guitar too would get rid of Cornell, Staley, Kennedy, etc.

Also, I think it'd be hilarious to nominate Levon Helm, because he's both a drummer and a vocalist :D

Also, I feel as though we should have a Greatest Songwriter thread, too, because of people like Bob Dylan. I don't particularly like Dylan, but he was a fantastic songwriter. Just couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

For the record, I would firmly believe that Bonham won for the wrong reasons if we were to choose him over Peart. The better drummer is the better drummer.

• Upvote 1

Frontman nominations: (using DDD as a guide)

Mick Jagger

Jim Morrison

Iggy Pop

Jimi Hendrix

David Bowie

Alice Cooper

Steven Tyler

Ozzy

David Lee Roth

Bon Scott

Axl Rose

Bruce Dickinson

Joey Ramone

Paul Stanley

Joe Strummer

Sting

Henry Rollins

Vince Neil

Greatest Singer nominations:

Freddie Mercury

Ian Gillian

Steve Perry

Roger Daltrey

Brad Delp (Boston) Amazing voice

Brian Wilson

Layne Staley

Robin Zander (Cheap Trick)

Edited by Bay

If we're just sticking to rock/metal, then they count already, IMO.

Peart>> bonham but no need for technicalities.

gtfo

Vin, what I think you meant to post was something about officially crowning Chris Cornell TGP's Greatest Rock Vocalist.

:smug:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the only Cornell homer on here, and victory is going to require more than one person. If I had to guess, I'd say Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant is going to win.

Frontman: Rob Zombie.

Vocals: Tom Keifer. (Cinderella)

I saw both of these guys within 2 weeks. Rob Zombie's show was one of the craziest things I've been to. And Tom Keifer really surprised me when he took stage. The way his voice hasn't changed at all in a little over 20 years was amazing. Cinderella was opening up for The Scorpions, and I thought Cinderella out played the Scorpions

Frontman: Rob Zombie.

Vocals: Tom Keifer. (Cinderella)

I saw both of these guys within 2 weeks. Rob Zombie's show was one of the craziest things I've been to. And Tom Keifer really surprised me when he took stage. The way his voice hasn't changed at all in a little over 20 years was amazing. Cinderella was opening up for The Scorpions, and I thought Cinderella out played the Scorpions

His voice hasn't changed because he was probably singing over a backing track. A lot of those 80s artists can't hit the high notes anymore.

Greatest Singer nominations:

Freddie Mercury

This. Anyone who says otherwise, needs to get their ears checked.

Freddie Mercury had a tremendous voice. He may not have been the best frontman , but he was pretty damn good.