oochymp

Favorite Football Movies

SI had an article the other day on this topic and it seemed like it'd be a good way to kill some time in the offseason, I'm not doing any sort of a poll because (1) there's too damn many for me to think I wouldn't leave a bunch out, and (2) why should everyone be limited to one?

Personally, and I know I'm going to get some crap for it, but I'd go with The Replacements, yeah, it's incredibly cheesy, but that's why it's great, and there are so many spectacular moments, I think this is probably my favorite minute and a half of any movie:

I'll list some more later, but just wanted to get this started, anyway what are your favorite football movies?

Varsity Blues, goddammit.

• Upvote 1

I was I think 16 or 17 when I saw The Longest Yard in the theaters and never saw or heard the initial story beforehand. I really actually physically wet myself laughing at it, and fell asleep to it for almost a year on a near nightly basis once I got my hands on a copy.

Still a sucker for Little Giants.

The Longest Yard but the Burt Reynolds one not the terrible Adam Sandler one.

Edited by Barracuda

a lot of people really like Friday Night Lights, I don't remember it being that good, maybe I need to see it again, I do love Remember the Titans, but I like just about anything with Denzel, haven't seen the Burt Reynolds Longest Yard but I do enjoy the new one

here are a couple other good ones:

Rudy: I'm really surprised nobody's mentioned this one yet, absolute classic

Invincible: this might be a lesser known one, it is a Disney movie, but it's really well done and definitely one of my favorites

Any Given Sunday: absolutely shocked this one hasn't been mentioned, another classic:

We Are Marshall: this still stands IMO as McConaughey's best movie, great story and great execution

• Upvote 1

We Are Marshall is up there for me as well. :yep:

Remember the Titans, The Longest Yard, and The Gridiron Gang are my favorite football movies but every other movie mentioned was great. There is also Waterboy, Radio, and The Express that were good movies as well. Wish the The Blindside was a better movie.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

You may not immediately think about it as a football movie, but I really love Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. It is after all based around the Dolphins. Dan Marino was pretty funny in it too!

My favorite football movie of all time is probably Necessary Roughness, but I don't really have a particular reason to recommend it over anything else, I've seen it a million times though. Brian's Song is also an amazing movie, James Caan was a badass. Most people are probably too young too have seen it. Billy Dee Willams as Gale Sayers :smug:

Waterboy, Radio, Any Given Sunday... all great football movies too. Man, there are a lot of good football movies.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

It's not the best movie but I love Invincible.

Big fan of Remember the Titans, although it still weirds me out a little to see Hayden Panetierre that young.

Also love Friday Night Lights and I haven't seen Any Given Sunday, but the "Inches" speech is pretty epic.