Dutch

Top 10 RB

There's no denying that Marshawn Lynch does certain things other backs can't. The way he fights for tough yards, the seeming impossible task of tackling him. He's a completely unique back in today's NFL, and if I need a first down on 3rd and 3 to close out a game, that's who I want running the ball. Not Charles. Not McCoy. Not Forte. They get hit before they can even get the first yard completed and it's likely over. Lynch can still make it happen.

Other backs can have all the talent in the world, but situational football should dictate something, and Lynch wins, in that category.

Takes more to physically run over somebody than it does to make someone miss entirely.

Also, takes more wear on your body than those style of backs that like to make people miss. So I think Lynch deserves some credit in a league where a majority of teams go to a revolving backfield..yet he is still the workhorse back in Seattle and is consistently Seattle's top threat offensive yet still puts up the numbers that he does.

Just how I look at things IMO.

Really don't understand why some people say Lynch is better then Charles. I'd argue they aren't even in the same tier.

Lynch is the better and more accomplished running back,,,,, simples.

No, he really isn't. Jamaal Charles is better at everything except yards after contact. It isn't even close. lol.

He isn't in the same tier as AD. Being more versatile =/ being better. AD is by far and away a better runner, and lets not act like he is a slouch in the passing game, he is pretty good in that area too.

Having Charles over McCoy....is laughable. IMO McCoy is better than Charles at everything aside from power running, which is hardly Charles forte either.

Dude had a good year, statistically. I'll even say I was worried he wouldn't see touches with Reid as a play caller.....OHHHHH but there was no need to worry. The Chiefs made it clear Charles would see plenty of the ball bringing in Captain Checkdown himself. Charles receiving numbers are heavily skewed (not that he didn't earn them) but that he never produced like that before. It's a scheme/QB thing, he had fucking 70 receptions! Put McCoy in that position and he easily breaks 700 receiving. I'm willing to bet AD breaks 500-600 yards with lolAlex Smith. This being said, he is a good receiving back nonetheless.

Charles is better than Lynch at being faster and receiving, once again heavily exaggerated due to Cpt. Checkdown. But that's expected. Lynch is a powerback. Just like Lynch is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Charles in the power run game, but Lynch does have breakaway speed. So it really evens out IMO. But I actually put stock in the fact that Lynch fucking backpacks in the playoffs while Charles has yet to do so. I don't see how it isn't close, but then again I don't have Charles in the same tier as AD or McCoy, which is laughable.

It might when Lynch consistently leads the league or is very close to leading the league in broken tackles year after year.

Why does this matter? Does the amount of arm tackles give him a superiors YAC then then other HBs?

Or are we going to act as though those other running backs are just all benefit of great blocking.

There's no denying that Marshawn Lynch does certain things other backs can't. The way he fights for tough yards, the seeming impossible task of tackling him. He's a completely unique back in today's NFL, and if I need a first down on 3rd and 3 to close out a game, that's who I want running the ball. Not Charles. Not McCoy. Not Forte. They get hit before they can even get the first yard completed and it's likely over. Lynch can still make it happen.

Other backs can have all the talent in the world, but situational football should dictate something, and Lynch wins, in that category.

Lol. Have you seen Charles play? I can't believe people still think this. There is no statistical proof of this. Nor is it actually true in real life.

Really don't understand why some people say Lynch is better then Charles. I'd argue they aren't even in the same tier.

No, he really isn't. Jamaal Charles is better at everything except yards after contact. It isn't even close. lol.

He isn't in the same tier as AD. Being more versatile =/ being better. AD is by far and away a better runner, and lets not act like he is a slouch in the passing game, he is pretty good in that area too.

AP is a minus as a receiver. If he wasn't, why wouldn't the Vikings use him more often? Why wouldn't he get more looks in the passing game?

Over the last two years AP has accounted for for 3,751 total yards. Charles? 3,725.

And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Charles is one the best pass blockers among both fullbacks and HBs.

Having Charles over McCoy....is laughable. IMO McCoy is better than Charles at everything aside from power running, which is hardly Charles forte either.

Charles is a better receiver, better blocker. Care to try again?

Dude had a good year, statistically. I'll even say I was worried he wouldn't see touches with Reid as a play caller.....OHHHHH but there was no need to worry. The Chiefs made it clear Charles would see plenty of the ball bringing in Captain Checkdown himself. Charles receiving numbers are heavily skewed (not that he didn't earn them) but that he never produced like that before. It's a scheme/QB thing, he had fucking 70 receptions! Put McCoy in that position and he easily breaks 700 receiving. I'm willing to bet AD breaks 500-600 yards with lolAlex Smith. This being said, he is a good receiving back nonetheless.

McCoy benefits more from getting the ball on easy routes out of the backfield then Charles does. Charles was fifth among all HBs in yards per route ran, McCoy was 14th.

And lol at thinking AP would get 500 yards the way Charles does. There's a reason why the Vikings don't involve AP in the pass game.

Charles is better than Lynch at being faster and receiving, once again heavily exaggerated due to Cpt. Checkdown. But that's expected. Lynch is a powerback. Just like Lynch is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Charles in the power run game, but Lynch does have breakaway speed. So it really evens out IMO. But I actually put stock in the fact that Lynch fucking backpacks in the playoffs while Charles has yet to do so. I don't see how it isn't close, but then again I don't have Charles in the same tier as AD or McCoy, which is laughable.

In the last two years Lynch has played in 5 playoff games. Charles played in a couple minutes of 1. This tells you absolutely nothing.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2

Well it seems like most elite backs have better blocking than Lynch. Over the past three years, he's been second, fourth, and third in Yards After Contact, with only Adrian Peterson being consistently ahead of him. So there is that going for him. Don't underestimate Beast Mode DMac. He's coming for you.

It might when Lynch consistently leads the league or is very close to leading the league in broken tackles year after year.

Why does this matter? Does the amount of arm tackles give him a superiors YAC then then other HBs?

Or are we going to act as though those other running backs are just all benefit of great blocking.

Lol. Have you seen Charles play? I can't believe people still think this. There is no statistical proof of this. Nor is it actually true in real life.

AP is a minus as a receiver. If he wasn't, why wouldn't the Vikings use him more often? Why wouldn't he get more looks in the passing game?

Over the last three years AP has accounted for for 3,751 total yards. Charles? 3,725.

And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Charles is one the best pass blockers among both fullbacks and HBs.

McCoy benefits more from getting the ball on easy routes out of the backfield then Charles does. Charles was fifth among all HBs in yards per route ran, McCoy was 14th.

And lol at thinking AP would get 500 yards the way Charles does. There's a reason why the Vikings don't involve AP in the pass game.

In the last two years Lynch has played in 5 playoff games. Charles played in a couple minutes of 1. This tells you absolutely nothing.

What is a minus in receiving? AP has solid career stats receiving from my quick look but Charles is the better receiving threat, I concede.

Route running is a scheme thing, doesn't mean McCoy can't do what Charles does. And I still think McCoy is a better receiving threat. Give him 70 receptions and he easily surpasses Charles, who btw had around 400 yards more than his norm receiving...that's Alex Smith for you. IDK about blocking, but you're probably right.

It tells me Lynch is more accomplished and has done it on the biggest stage, has to account for something?

What is a minus in receiving? AP has solid career stats receiving from my quick look but Charles is the better receiving threat, I concede.

Route running is a scheme thing, doesn't mean McCoy can't do what Charles does. And I still think McCoy is a better receiving threat. Give him 70 receptions and he easily surpasses Charles, who btw had around 400 yards more than his norm receiving...that's Alex Smith for you. IDK about blocking, but you're probably right.

It tells me Lynch is more accomplished and has done it on the biggest stage, has to account for something?

AP is simply not good enough of a receiver out of the backfield, to where its all that beneficial to his team. Granted, he doesn't need to be because he's an amazing runner, but Charles is on another level in that department.

And this can't count for much if the people you are comparing him to haven't had the same opportunity to make that kind of an impact.

2. :Eagles: Lesean Mccoy - Mccoy is the most elusive RB in the league and has a feint sliver of Barry Sanders in his game in regards to making people miss.

Stop that dutch. You have to get help. I'm tired of watching drugs destroy your life. Barry Sanders just got offended somewhere in America and has no idea why. I never neg based on ranking opinions, but this got me close. You're a really cordial fella though, so I passed.

You took what I said and blew it out of proportion. Sean pretty much nailed though. I'm in no way comparing Mccoy with Barry. Barry is the best RB of all time in my opinion and my all time favorite football player. Mccoy can't even sniff Barry's jock strap. But, Mccoy's game does have a little hint of Barry in it in regards to elusiveness and lateral agility; making guys miss. Ofcourse no where to the degree or level of Barry, but it's there and it's been said before even by NFL commentators (not that it should carry a lot of weight). It's not a blasphemy to say current NFL players may resemble an all time great but when you put them on a pedestal "against" the all time greats is when you've sinned :yep:.

How can you deem J.C a better receiver because of one good receiving season season? This is only J.C's 2nd season with over 300 yards receiving as to where Mccoy has done it every year he's been in the league. Not to mention that 9 spots between YYPR is not a huge disparity to the point to where it can justify someone being better. Both backs are clearly skilled at being effective receivers and it can go either way. But to act like J.C is the clear cut winner after one good receiving season when Mccoy has put up several seems a little off.

• Upvote 1

Jamaal Charles averages 5.6 ypc for his career. He's not a power back, so Lynch SHOULD have more YPC. McCoy and Charles might not be the best power runners but they're still good in short yardage situations because they do a good job of picking the right holes and knowing how to get underneath those linemen and fall forward for a 3 yard gain. They're also a threat to catch a pass. If anything if I'm not being a homer I'm starting to think Charles might be over McCoy. I think they have to be tied at 2nd at the least. McCoy runs behind the best offensive line in football and he plays with a creative HC.

Charles on the other hand plays behind a below average offensive line with a fucktard HC and a much less dangerous passing game. Plus he didn't have Vick for 4 games to start the year. Say what you will about Vick but he opened up some big holes for LeSean early in the year.

Lynch is still my #2 RB. Until he deteriorates, I ain't moving him. Guy is irreplaceable.

This is based off of what? Marshawn Lynch is probably not even better then Forte.

Cmon brah when you say it like that you act like Forte is on a whole another tier below the guys that are mentioned. Give me the most complete back over one like lynch Give the guy who catch passes out the backfield and be a force in the passing game. Give me the guy who is one of the best passing blocks in the league also still is an excellent runner.

Bwares mentioned how players on 3rd and 3 get shut down for a yard or something like that. Up in till Trestman and Emery came. we always had a terrible line.. Forte constantly has dealt with a terrible line till last year and always made plays. Probably the most surprising thing is, is how shifty and elusive he is for being at 220 ibs.

• Upvote 1

Lynch is still my #2 RB. Until he deteriorates, I ain't moving him. Guy is irreplaceable.

This is based off of what? Marshawn Lynch is probably not even better then Forte.

Cmon brah when you say it like that you act like Forte is on a whole another tier below the guys that are mentioned. Give me the most complete back over one like lynch Give the guy who catch passes out the backfield and be a force in the passing game. Give me the guy who is one of the best passing blocks in the league also still is an excellent runner.

Bwares mentioned how players on 3rd and 3 get shut down for a yard or something like that. Up in till Trestman and Emery came. we always had a terrible line.. Forte constantly has dealt with a terrible line till last year and always made plays. Probably the most surprising thing is, is how shifty and elusive he is for being at 220 ibs.

There hasn't been a bigger Forte supporter then me on TGP in the past, and no way is Lynch a better running back to Forte to me.

But when I said that I was speaking more in context of everyone on this thread who are having Forte lower then Lynch.

How can you deem J.C a better receiver because of one good receiving season season? This is only J.C's 2nd season with over 300 yards receiving as to where Mccoy has done it every year he's been in the league. Not to mention that 9 spots between YYPR is not a huge disparity to the point to where it can justify someone being better. Both backs are clearly skilled at being effective receivers and it can go either way. But to act like J.C is the clear cut winner after one good receiving season when Mccoy has put up several seems a little off.

Because its a matter of usage. McCoy has gotten a bigger bulk of his team's total snaps in comparison to Charles who was a part of a two back system for a good portion of his career. Charles runs a more complete tree and has always been utilized in some situations as a normal receiver would because of his abilities as a receiver.

McCoy has had two seasons (2011, 2009) where he didn't get a single pass target beyond 10 yards. Has had another season where he only got one target beyond 10 yards. Charles has had one season (2012) where that's been the case. 2 if you want to include the 2011 year where he played 1 game and a half.

Additionally, McCoy has been in an Andy Reid system where the HB is an important part of the passing game his whole career. This is Charles first year.

It isn't a big gap by any means, but to me its pretty clear who the better receiver is.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

Jamaal Charles averages 5.6 ypc for his career. He's not a power back, so Lynch SHOULD have more YPC. McCoy and Charles might not be the best power runners but they're still good in short yardage situations because they do a good job of picking the right holes and knowing how to get underneath those linemen and fall forward for a 3 yard gain. They're also a threat to catch a pass. If anything if I'm not being a homer I'm starting to think Charles might be over McCoy. I think they have to be tied at 2nd at the least. McCoy runs behind the best offensive line in football and he plays with a creative HC.

Charles on the other hand plays behind a below average offensive line with a fucktard HC and a much less dangerous passing game. Plus he didn't have Vick for 4 games to start the year. Say what you will about Vick but he opened up some big holes for LeSean early in the year.

Where is it stated that power backs should have more YPC? If anything you would think opposite since guys like Charles are more apt to breaking the big gains.

Where is it stated that power backs should have more YPC? If anything you would think opposite since guys like Charles are more apt to breaking the big gains.

Yeah but Charles is more than just a scat back and I think that's abundantly clear. He's been the Chiefs lead back for a while now and he consistently gets chunks of yardage. He doesn't just rely on the home runs.

Because its a matter of usage. McCoy has gotten a bigger bulk of his team's total snaps in comparison to Charles who was a part of a two back system for a good portion of his career. Charles runs a more complete tree and has always been utilized in some situations as a normal receiver would because of his abilities as a receiver.

McCoy has had two seasons (2011, 2009) where he didn't get a single pass target beyond 10 yards. Has had another season where he only got one target beyond 10 yards. Charles has had one season (2012) where that's been the case. 2 if you want to include the 2011 year where he played 1 game and a half.

Additionally, McCoy has been in an Andy Reid system where the HB is an important part of the passing game his whole career. This is Charles first year.

It isn't a big gap by any means, but to me its pretty clear who the better receiver is.

Valid point about usage. 2012 and 2013 were the only two seasons that J.C was the full time starter in K.C. How is J.C's route tree more extensive than Mccoys? I never saw J.C being used in a manner like a real WR like a Matte Forte has before on the line or a Brian Westbrook. Unless you're referring to wheel routes which isn't considered a complicated receiver route. We can't judge them like real WRs in regards to passes they got beyond 10 yards. It's what they do with the ball that matters and both RBs have staggering averages in the receiving game.

And yes, Mccoy has been in Andy Reid's system to where RBs are an important part of the passing game and was utilized the same way with Chip Kelly. Seeing as though this is J.C's first year in Reid's system, how can it be so clear that J.C is the better receiver when there is only one year (when he carried the load) to go by?

People enjoyed bashing me for using too many numbers to support my arguments on here before, and that's cool. I will try not to do that here, although to totally remove them from the thought process would be fairly difficult.

The List

1. Jamaal Charles -- He's the best all around RB in the league. I don't think it's even that close, to be honest. There are other guys who are EXTREMELY good, no doubt... But nobody does or can do what Jamaal does. Nobody. He might not always get the opportunities to show what he can do, but he's a dynamic weapon that can be used anywhere on the offensive side of the ball. He has the unique combination of size, speed, and agility... And while he isn't known as a power back, his power is very underrated. He isn't a scat back or a pure speed guy. He doesn't fear contact and isn't afraid to take on a defender and plow him over if it means getting a few extra yards.

2. Shady -- The closest possible RB to Jamaal Charles, IMO. You can pretty much copy and paste everything above here. He's always waffled on the edge of greatness, but Chip and Co have really done a great job exposing his raw talent and ability. He very much has the potential to be at the top of this list next year... However, I feel Jamaal does the same things Shady does... but better. And he's been doing it longer and more consistently. That may not all be Shady's fault... But it's how I see it.

3. Adrian Peterson -- I've said before that he's one of the best ever already... And I stand by that. But at times, I think people allow his greatness to cloud their judgement a little when looking at the current landscape of backs. The fact that he isn't even really average (IMO) at catching or blocking makes him slip this far. The Vikings go out of their way to AVOID giving him the ball as a receiver. Can't say I blame them.

4. Matt Forte -- There is a pretty noticeable drop off after the Top 3, in my mind. So... Call Forte #4 if you want, but there is a clear separation (on my list anyway) between 3 and 4. Forte is a very good back who has worked with both great players and... not so great players. I think he makes everyone else on that offense better and pretty easily. He has a similar skill set as Charles / Shady but just less amazing all around.

5. Marshawn Lynch -- Unlike Forte, I think Lynch is better and is allowed to do what he does because of the team he is on -- and not just offensively. When teams are going against the Seahawks, they have to seriously consider their offense may not score enough points to beat Seattle... So I think a lot of teams get overly aggressive (and thus make mistakes) trying to combat the Seattle offense. And they will expose you... He isn't called Beast Mode for nothing, he will eat you alive. Really good player, who falls this far because I believe others elevate him more than the other way around.

6. Franke Gore -- He never gets the props he deserves. He's super consistent.. Super reliable... and you would be crazy not to want him on your team. And in typical fashion I am going to underrated him even further by writing less about him than any other back on the list. Why? Because Frank Gore.

7. Fred Jackson -- IMO, also one of the most under-utilized and unheralded RBs in the league. He's one of those guys who came into the league super late in life (relatively... Rookie @ 25... I think? ) and he's never really been given the full load -- which will be great ammo for anyone to use against me on this pick. He doesn't have the gaudy numbers... He's never been asked to carry the team... He's been on mostly really bad teams and really bad offenses. Again, all ammo against him, I understand. But man, he is good. Even in his limited touches, I feel he is one of the most dynamic and efficient backs in all of football... And that's saying a lot about a 33 year old out of Coe College (literally 10 minutes from me! Represent! :D). It's time we talk more about Fred-Ex.

8. Eddie Lacy -- It's amazing that backs are becoming so widely underrated as far as the NFL Draft is concerned yet (SPOILER), I am going to finish out my list with THREE, count em... THREE players who just finished their rookie seasons. Lacy is the best of the new breed and era of running back. He's a GREAT blocker. Powerful and punishing runner with more finesse than you would expect (have you seen his spin move?). Lacks top end speed which will get him caught from behind on big runs that should be TDs, but I think that's alright. I think he is a much better pass catcher than even Mike and the Packers will give him credit for. We didn't throw him the ball often, but when we did, defenders shat themselves in fear -- probably literally. Also, already one of the best blocking backs in all of football. The way he came in and learned all of the Packers shifts and protections as a rookie and didn't give up a sack in the process is amazing. Even as a rookie, he had to prove he could be the bell cow and carry the team without the best QB in the league to take pressure off him. He did just that....

9. Andre Ellington -- The next young gun on the list and probably the one that will cause the most unrest... As far as being a complete, well rounded, and jack of all trades kind of back... I think Ellington was legit in the top... 5-6backs last year and I fully expect him to replicate that every season and get better and better in the process. Explosive and dynamic do not give Ellington the credit he deserves. He is the cog that makes that Cardinals offense go, IMO. He can play anywhere, do anything, and do it GREAT. One of my favorite players in the league to watch. He didn't have the same number of opportunities as other backs on the list... But he most definitely should get those chances to BLOW UP this year. Watch out for this guy if Bruce Arians even has a single living brain cell in that thick skull of his.

10.. Gio Bernard -- An absolute stunner -- Gio is explosive in his own way. That speed and agility is top notch. Allowing him to get into the open field is not wise because the guy will be GONE. He's given a lot of opportunities in the passing game and excels greatly. Not as great of a pure runner as Lacy and pushing him directly up the middle too often could pose a real challenge to him and his team. I value the overall skill and talents of Lacy as a runner over the edge Gio has in agility and top speed, hence Gio being a slot below. I also feel as an overall playmaker and just dynamicity (yup, made that up) that Ellington has the edge. Getting the chance to watch them play... They both jump out. But watching Ellington do what he does makes me drop my jaw... Hence Gio being a slot under Ellington as well.

The "Sorry, there are too many great RBs, so I had to leave you off the Top 10" List:
(Works as an almost continuation of my list in a way. Almost.)

- Darren Sproles - Great playmaker and opens up the offense completely. he's improved as a runner, but still remains to one-dimensional for me to put him on the list. I don't want to anger him, because he's won me multiple fantasy titles... But gimmicky kind of comes to mind, thinking about Sproles. It works though, so no complaints here.

- Pierre Thomas - Lacks the consistency I would like to see, which honestly probably isn't even his fault being on that stacked Saints team. Great pure runner with the ability to do just about anything that is asked of him. Never gets love or the credit he deserves... Just needs a chance, man!

The "Hey, remember me?" List

(By no means is a continuation of any sorts... guys who suck or aren't as good but may still be overrated)

- Ray Rice - I don't think he's completely done yet but he just looked awful... Like so bad that while he couldn't possibly do much worse that I have to believe it will alter his path, even slightly, until he actually is done.

- Arian Foster - Man, this guy had a great run as arguably the best back in the league...(better all around than AP, IMO) But the guy just fell off the wagon and has so many different little issues that I can't trust him to get back to that level I expect of him. I hope he does and can... Because when he is on, he is FUN to watch... I just don't believe it right now.

The " I don't believe you, prove it" List
( did you not read the title? lol)

- Doug Martin - Great rookie campaign, of course.... But my goodness he looked like hot crap festering on a sidewalk in the limited time we saw him last year. He needs to regain my trust and faith in him as an every down, epic back before I put him in my Top 10.

- Alfred Morris - I generally like Morris as a player, but I need to see it more and it more consistently. A mix between limited opportunities and what is no doubt Mike Shanahan's hatred has Morris stuck in this middling tier... I want and need him to be more involved and just scream at me that he is ready for the big time.

Edited by Favre4Ever

5. Marshawn Lynch -- Unlike Forte, I think Lynch is better and is allowed to do what he does because of the team he is on -- and not just offensively.

lolwut

:Vikings: Adrian Peterson

:Chiefs: Jamaal Charles

:Eagles: LeSean McCoy

:Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch

:Bears: Matt Forte

:Bengals: Giovanni Bernard

:49ers: Frank Gore

:Packers: Eddie Lacy

:Redskins: Alfred Morris

:Bucs: Doug Martin

Honorable mentions

:Cardinals: Andre Ellington

:Giants: Rashad Jennings

:Texans: Arian Foster

:Bills: Fred Jackson

:Rams: Zac Stacy

:Browns: Ben Tate

Bishop Sankey will be in the mix sooner rather than later.

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 4

1. AD

2. Lesean McCoy

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Jamaal Charles

5. Matt Forte

6. Alfred Morris

7. Ryan Matthews

8. Eddie Lacy

9. Reggie Bush

10. CJ Spiller

Eddie Lacy 8th and no Frank Gore at all?

9jhz00.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do 3 rookies make your top 10 F4E...

And then you have 2 backs that you say prove it to who might be in their second years..but Alfred Morris still put up respectable numbers being the only consistent source of production on the Rg3-less Redskins last year?

Forget Doug Martin here..but Morris has put up consistent numbers in his 2 years...but you're putting 3 rookie backs over him? This is kind of a double standard IMO.

Two back system along with Larry Johnson, yes. But Charles was still the main feature in the passing game.

Edited by BJORN

He wasn't actually utilized in the passing game for anything more then a safety valve, and occasional screens.

The only time he's been a key part of the passing game was in 2010, the one year Weis was the OC, he was lined up all over the field.

Even then, he has still never had the amount of snaps, or opportunities McCoy has had on passing downs. Only twice in his career has Charles had more then 300 snaps on passing plays (2013, 2009). Only twice has McCoy in his career had less then 400 (2012, 2009) snaps on passing downs, he's had less then 300 (2009) snaps once.

lolwut

Honorable mentions

lolwut

Honorable mentions

You are seriously over valuing Gio. I honestly don't see how you can justify Gio over Frank Gore.. I can kind of see Lacy, if you enjoy the speedy quick guys over the strong workhorses (even if I would disagree).

Why do 3 rookies make your top 10 F4E...

And then you have 2 backs that you say prove it to who might be in their second years..but Alfred Morris still put up respectable numbers being the only consistent source of production on the Rg3-less Redskins last year?

Forget Doug Martin here..but Morris has put up consistent numbers in his 2 years...but you're putting 3 rookie backs over him? This is kind of a double standard IMO.

I made it less about the numbers and more about the eye test.

Prove it guys had a REALLY GREAT YEAR followed by disappointments. In Morris' case, he still had a good year. I just need to see more from him, IMO. Maybe that isn't fair... I just think he's inconsistent in his efficiency of running the ball.

I expect Morris to be a really solid contributor.. And if he puts up another similar season to last year I would definitely shuffle him up into a heart beat. I love what I see when he runs... at times. Can't say it all the time though and that's why he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on my end.

If ANY of those rookies slip in the slightest, they will be off my list quickly. Be sure on that.

Also Bowe, there is no way to justify any list that doesn't have A.P as the #1 RB lol... A good season by Jamaal Charles can't surpass the epic greatness A.P has put on the turf for the past 7 years. A.P being one dimensional still surpasses RBs that are dual threats in the league. His pure running ability is still better than what any other RB can produce on turf whether it's running or/and receiving.

You can "lol" all you want, but it's not nearly as ridiculous a notion as LeSean I-wish-I-was-Colt McCoy being compared to Barry Sanders :D (Sorry, had to do it.) Seriously though, People on this board call Andrew Luck a bust and Peyton Manning an overrated bum who isn't in the same class as guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and even Big Ben, and they not only do it with a straight face but defend those views with zeal, but Charles being the best back in the league is what you just can't stomach? C'mon son.

It's no slight to AP. He's been the unquestioned best runner in the game for years now, but no one stays at #1 forever. Charles finally—for the first time in his career—got a legit #1 RB's workload, and look what he did with it. The kid straight balled out. He's a monster in the passing game as well as the running game, and while AP might be better at breaking tackles, that's about it.

As a pure runner, there's no one better than Peterson. The trouble is that this isn't all a back is asked to do anymore. He's largely one dimensional, and while he's probably the very best in the game at that dimension, his position he plays has evolved into a multi-dimensional facet of the game. Pass catching and play action and blocking, and everything else are very useful tools in the modern running back's tool belt.

Let's not make it sound like Charles simply can't run between the tackles either. The guy's CAREER AVERAGE PER CARRY is 5.6 yards. Out of all RB's in the game, ever to play the game, and this includes everyone, including Jim Brown and my personal football idol Barry Sanders, as well as the guy you're saying is so much better that it renders my point of view laughable—all of the running backs to ever carry the ball more than 1,000 times—How many do you think have a higher YPC average than that?

Give up? The answer is NONE. Not one. No one ever. You may be thinking, "Well yeah, but the disparity can't be that great from him to everyone else." You would be wrong. The next closest back is Jim Brown at 5.2. AP has a very healthy average of 5 flat, keeping him in rarefied, but 5.6 is head and shoulders above the field. I'm not saying that's my end all reason for putting him at no.1, but it's at the least proof that he can produce no matter what type of running play is called.

When you add to that the well-rounded game that he has and his ability to excel no matter what roll he's asked to play, and I have him just above AP da GOAT. It's not that far fetched, and it's not in the least a laughable notion. He reeks of consistency at a high level.

Just for shits and giggles, let's go back to the Todd Haley/Matt Cassel era. In 2010 Jamaal Charles was given 230 carries as a back-up running back—Thomas Jones was given 245 carries and gained 896 yards on the ground that year—in with those 230 carries produce 1,465 yards: AS A BACKUP. His average that year was 6.4 YPC. His production has remained at a league best level.

• Upvote 2

You can "lol" all you want, but it's not nearly as ridiculous a notion as LeSean I-wish-I-was-Colt McCoy being compared to Barry Sanders :D (Sorry, had to do it.) Seriously though, People on this board call Andrew Luck a bust and Peyton Manning an overrated bum who isn't in the same class as guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and even Big Ben, and they not only do it with a straight face but defend those views with zeal, but Charles being the best back in the league is what you just can't stomach? C'mon son.

It's no slight to AP. He's been the unquestioned best runner in the game for years now, but no one stays at #1 forever. Charles finally—for the first time in his career—got a legit #1 RB's workload, and look what he did with it. The kid straight balled out. He's a monster in the passing game as well as the running game, and while AP might be better at breaking tackles, that's about it.

As a pure runner, there's no one better than Peterson. The trouble is that this isn't all a back is asked to do anymore. He's largely one dimensional, and while he's probably the very best in the game at that dimension, his position he plays has evolved into a multi-dimensional facet of the game. Pass catching and play action and blocking, and everything else are very useful tools in the modern running back's tool belt.

Let's not make it sound like Charles simply can't run between the tackles either. The guy's CAREER AVERAGE PER CARRY is 5.6 yards. Out of all RB's in the game, ever to play the game, and this includes everyone, including Jim Brown and my personal football idol Barry Sanders, as well as the guy you're saying is so much better that it renders my point of view laughable—all of the running backs to ever carry the ball more than 1,000 times—How many do you think have a higher YPC average than that?

Give up? The answer is NONE. Not one. No one ever. You may be thinking, "Well yeah, but the disparity can't be that great from him to everyone else." You would be wrong. The next closest back is Jim Brown at 5.2. AP has a very healthy average of 5 flat, keeping him in rarefied, but 5.6 is head and shoulders above the field. I'm not saying that's my end all reason for putting him at no.1, but it's at the least proof that he can produce no matter what type of running play is called.

When you add to that the well-rounded game that he has and his ability to excel no matter what roll he's asked to play, and I have him just above AP da GOAT. It's not that far fetched, and it's not in the least a laughable notion. He reeks of consistency at a high level.

Just for shits and giggles, let's go back to the Todd Haley/Matt Cassel era. In 2010 Jamaal Charles was given 230 carries as a back-up running back—Thomas Jones was given 245 carries and gained 896 yards on the ground that year—in with those 230 carries produce 1,465 yards: AS A BACKUP. His average that year was 6.4 YPC. His production has remained at a league best level.

Bowe, trust me. I am on the same page as you with the ridiculous statements on this board in regards to peoples opinions on Peyton, Luck and even Brandon Marshall. Definitely some extremist. Don't put me in that category because I agree with you lol. But my comment isn't to slight Charles at all. Just shows my admiration and opinion of A.P.

I'm glad that you acknowledged that A.P has been #1 for years now because that's true. Charles had a great 2010 and 2009 campaign in a running back by committee role sharing the load with Thomas Jones and taking full advantage of his opportunities proving he can start. Jamaal Charles has carried the load for the last 2 seasons and he's been simply amazing. However, what I'd like to know is how does Charles last two great seasons catapult him over A.P when A.P's production has been great to phenomenally epic? I think people can argue that Charles (or Mccoy) has closed the gap to A.P but has done nothing to push ahead of A.P.

As far as A.P's game just being able breaking tackles, the only thing A.P doesn't do that Charles does is be a consistent pass catcher. A.P makes guys miss and please let's not forget that A.P has speed as well. People tend to forget about his speed because he has so many other qualities such as breaking tackles, running people over etc. A.P is still the most "productive" home run threat in the league.

Charles and Mccoy are definitely more complete backs than A.P being more versatile being a threat in the passing game but that doesn't warrant them being better than A.P. The fact that A.P is one dimensional and still produces to the level that he does speaks in volumes. Just because Marshall Faulk was more versatile than Barry Sanders doesn't make him better than Sanders. It's the same thing here.

Jamaal Charles has closed the gap between him and A.P since becoming a full time starter having two great seasons. But two great seasons aren't enough to pull ahead of A.P when he's been great to epic and hasn't been shown any signs of slowing down. Charles is catching up but not there yet.

• Upvote 1