Dutch

Top 10 RB

pretty good top 10 based off everyone's lists. Alfred Morris is a system back. What makes Foster not is his well rounded skill set. I'd bump the bottom 3 and put Matthews at 10.

so my list is

Peterson

McCoy

Charles

Lynch

Forte

Gore

Murray

Lacy

Foster

Matthews

Arian Foster is in a zone block system as well. As far as him having a well rounded skill set, all he has in his arsenal is being a one cut back. After his crease opens up in the zone block scheme, he's pretty average. He has great anticipation and vision to hit the hole but after that, he has that one cut then nothing. He doesn't break any tackles and not really elusive. Alfred Morris on the other hand is a beast. He gains good yards after contact and breaks a lot of tackles making plays after breaking lose from the line. All Foster skill wise has on Morris is that he can catch the ball. Morris is more dangerous with the ball in his hands because he makes plays after contact. Morris appears more impressive on tape than Foster.

Edited by Dutch

photo-560.gif?_r=1400534680

Breathe it in. Embrace it Thanatos. Change your avatar today.

That's right Than. Come on over. There's always room for one more.

It kind of speaks to you, IMO.

That's right Than. Come on over. There's always room for one more.

I... cannot resist the call of the Shaqitty.

I... cannot resist the call of the Shaqitty.

... aaaaaand we've Successfully derailed a good thread lol.

No, he really isn't. Jamaal Charles is better at everything except yards after contact. It isn't even close. lol.

As a CAL fan and biased fan towards Lynch. Who is my favorite RB to play ever at CAL.. I agree with Dmac. Charles is just a monster all around. Lynch is the best power back and nastiest stiff arming muthafucka there is. But after that, Charles does the rest better. Best speed back over, yes Chris Johnson at this point. I wont get into a CJ debate but ima big Charles fan as well.

• Upvote 2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360462/article/vikings-adrian-peterson-age-doesnt-apply-to-me

Link has interview

Vikings' Adrian Peterson: Age 'doesn't apply to me'

Age 30 is usually the death knell for NFL running backs, but then again, Adrian Peterson isn't your average back.

The Minnesota Vikings star turns 30 next March, but he isn't worried about slowing down any time soon. Peterson scoffed Thursday when a reporter asked him if he's entering the twilight.

"They said 'Oh, ACL, you'll never come back from it,' " Peterson said. "So, it is what it is. It doesn't apply to me. I have a totally different mindset, mind frame."

Peterson said with a laugh: "I was talking to (Brett) Favre. 40 sounds good, you know?"

A.P. has shown no signs of decline yet. The generational talent famously rushed for an incredible 2,097 yards just months removed from ACL surgery. Peterson will have to carry the Vikings' offense once again in 2014, and he'll do so while learning Norv Turner's playbook.

"It fits me in all areas as far as running the ball, being diverse, being able to run the ball from the shotgun, being able to touch the ball in perimeter, spread out and run routes as well," Peterson told

NFL Media's Albert Breer. "The all-purpose back, you know, what I've always envisioned myself as, the marshal for offense. So this offense is perfect for that, so that's how it really helps the running back position."

Peterson has never caught 50-plus balls. If Turner splits A.P. out wide to exploit defenses in the passing game, the Vikings' offense will possess a much-needed extra dimension.

Apparently, Adrian Peterson will have a much bigger role in the passing game in Norv Turner's offense. I've seen Adrian Peterson take a short pass and take it to the house for like 60 yards. I don't doubt his ability and it will be interesting to see him in this new role. He's already the best pure runner and most dangerous RB in the league. Adding a consistent passing element to his game... scary stuff.

Edited by Dutch

Looking forward to Peterson falling off the cliff in two years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I could see Peterson falling off in a couple years. I don't know if it'll be as pronounced a fall as Raz is predicting, but there's only so long a guy can be that heavily leaned on before he falls down.

If he's going to be used even more now, it can't help his longevity. We'll see what happens I guess, but I can't see him staying on top of the mountain for much longer. Like I've said before, I think he's already been passed by one mister Jamaal Charles.

A guy like AP doesn't come around often. He's the best. Not sure what else can really be argued. Guys like Charles and McCoy come and go. They stay up top for 2 or 3 years, then they're gone like that and back to being a run of the mill guy. Peterson has already surpassed that option. You just don't see it often. 5 yards per carry for his career on over 2000 attempts.

We're talking about a guy who has had ONE down year his entire career, not sure if you can even call it that. His down year was him playing 12 games because he tore his ACL - yet he still rushed for 970 yards AND 12 TDs. If he played a complete season that year and stayed on pace, you're still talking 1600 yards and about 16 touchdowns. I mean, come on guys. Let's be real here.

LeSean McCoy has had 2 exceptional years from what I consider. 2013 and then 2011 where he went in the endzone 17 times. He's a great talent, no way is he better than AP.

Jamaal Charles has been real consistent outside of his injury in 2011. But.... He's still only had one year that you sit back and say wow. The rest have been top running back numbers each year but nothing that knocks your socks off and says wow. Last year was really the first one that was exceptional for him. 12 Rushing TD and then like 6 or 7 receiving TDs.

I'm just not looking at either of these two guys being better than Peterson at this point. They've each had maybe 2 stand out seasons while Peterson stands out every single season of his career if you put his stats in their career logs. It just doesn't make sense.

I feel like where smoking some high quality stuff here to say that these guys are better than AP at this point. Let's revisit in a couple seasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Like I've said before, I think he's already been passed by one mister Jamaal Charles.

LV3q4C3.gif

We're talking about a guy who has had ONE down year his entire career, not sure if you can even call it that. His down year was him playing 12 games because he tore his ACL - yet he still rushed for 970 yards AND 12 TDs. If he played a complete season that year and stayed on pace, you're still talking 1600 yards and about 16 touchdowns. I mean, come on guys. Let's be real here.

not sure of your math on this one, 970 yards in 12 games would project to about 1300 yards in 16, still a good season, but not 1600 yards

• Upvote 1

not sure of your math on this one, 970 yards in 12 games would project to about 1300 yards in 16, still a good season, but not 1600 yards

No math was done. It was 430am and I was on my way out the door. Simply just to make the point that he was going to have a good season. I mean, I think 1450 could have been in reach if he popped off a couple 150's! 1300, 1600, whatever. My point remains the same! Lol.

A guy like AP doesn't come around often. He's the best. Not sure what else can really be argued. Guys like Charles and McCoy come and go. They stay up top for 2 or 3 years, then they're gone like that and back to being a run of the mill guy. Peterson has already surpassed that option. You just don't see it often. 5 yards per carry for his career on over 2000 attempts.

LeSean McCoy has had 2 exceptional years from what I consider. 2013 and then 2011 where he went in the endzone 17 times. He's a great talent, no way is he better than AP.

Jamaal Charles has been real consistent outside of his injury in 2011. But.... He's still only had one year that you sit back and say wow. The rest have been top running back numbers each year but nothing that knocks your socks off and says wow. Last year was really the first one that was exceptional for him. 12 Rushing TD and then like 6 or 7 receiving TDs.

I'm just not looking at either of these two guys being better than Peterson at this point. They've each had maybe 2 stand out seasons while Peterson stands out every single season of his career if you put his stats in their career logs. It just doesn't make sense.

I feel like where smoking some high quality stuff here to say that these guys are better than AP at this point. Let's revisit in a couple seasons.

Adrian Peterson was the best at one point.

If you don't sit back and say "wow" at Jamaal Charles, you are looking at the stat sheet and not what he has done on the field. Period.

If you don't sit back and say "wow" at Jamaal Charles, you are looking at the stat sheet and not what he has done on the field. Period.

I still say "wow" at Jamaal Charles. The stat sheet and game film. Still not better than A.P though. A.P is one season removed from a 2000 yard campaign. Jamaal Charles can't topple A.P in one season. I'll be more inclined to this idea after the end of next season. It's impractical at this point imo.

Edited by Dutch

Oh, so am I. And I am not even taking into account that I disagree with the his premise that AP is still the best.. >We could talk about that as well. But regardless of who you think is better, if you aren't "wow'd" by what Jamaal Charles does on the field, you simply aren't watching.

Haha what stat sheet are you looking at? Charles has ridiculous numbers, that YPC should draw a "wow" from almost everyone. :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Haha yeah. Jamaal Charles stat sheet alone speaks for itself. You can argue he's a top back in the league just from piggy backing off of his stats alone. Watching him takes that "wow" to another level.

Edited by Dutch

Amazing, absolutely. Exciting to watch, no freaking doubt! You guys are acting like I'm taking away from what Jamaal Charles has done to this point and is. I'm not. He's all about his speed and his ability to elude the tacklers. Once he loses that first step speed, he's going to be just another run of the mill back. Obviously, that's just my opinion and I'm not some analyst but that's how I view it.

I just put more stock in Peterson because he's got speed, and he's got the ability to outfight and put his head down. I'll await the comments about how Charles does indeed do that, but not on a consistent basis. He's a flash guy.

Charles is right up there with AP, but he's not better than him.

Kind of off topic but I just think we see so many guys like Charles in the league right now, definitely not on the same level, but absolutely the same type of game. I think it's going to take a couple more seasons to even consider Charles with AP, but I'm not a believer that Charles will continue to be as productive that long. I really think he's got 2 more seasons in him before he starts losing that flash that makes him so great of a runner. He's going to have to change his game soon. A whole different discussion though.

• Upvote 1

AP is a HoF workhorse that represents oldschool ground-pound running football. In today's NFL, AP is a dying breed. RB committees and scatbacks are the trend. Jamaal is the now. AP is the past, present, and future. Jamaal Charles will be remembered as a scatback prototype. AP will be remembered as one of the greatest to ever be in the backfield. It's that simple.

• Upvote 2

way underestimating Charles ability to run between the tackles and put his head down. You just dont have that type of career YPC by pure speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPSzmhJjRc8

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

The only two seasons where Charles hasn't put up great or elite numbers were his rookie season and the season he tore his ACL. Lets stop acting like he's just another running back. Or some stereotypical scatback.

• Upvote 2

I'm not on board with saying Charles is just another RB. He's a great RB who is having an amazing and historic career. The only stance I have is that he is not better than A.P.

Haha what stat sheet are you looking at? Charles has ridiculous numbers, that YPC should draw a "wow" from almost everyone. :coffee:

What? I am arguably his biggest supporter... Have been since before he was even starting. I watch the Chiefs more than any other team besides Green Bay because my best friend is a fanatic... I remember watching him as a back up to that mega douche, Larry Johnson, and telling my buddy to watch out for that guy. He didn't believe me, didn't think he would do much of anything. Kolby Smith was the future if you asked him.. lmao.

Then Boom. I have been impressed with mostly everything he has done... From working his ass off in camp in 08 to coming back from that brutal knee injury where people had doubts he would ever be the same again.

And I have said this A LOT before, but Terry just brought it up.. NOBODY gives credit to Charles for his ability to gain the "tough" yards. The guy can absolutely be physical and he will plow people over... He is fearless.

Too many people try to stick him into a predefined box of agile / speedy one-trick pony guy and that simply isn't the case (not suggesting you think he is, just speaking in general).

• Upvote 1