Sign in to follow this  
Seahawksfan44

When will Tom Brady be done?

He's 36 right now, but he will turn 37 within the next three months which means that he will likely retire soon (along with Peyton Manning whose 38, and it wouldn't surprise if this was his last year) and while the lack of weapons might be partially responsible for it, his statistics have been rapidly regressing (last years went from 2012's statistics, but not by much). I highly doubt that Tom Brady will win another Superbowl since I don't see the streak of them being above .500 (or above 9-7 even) keeping up for much longer. I bet that he has 2 years left in him and no more.

He will play out his current contract and retire.

Soon, hopefully. The best thing that could happen to this current NFL is for Brady and Manning to retire. I want to hear ESPN talk about someone else. I want to see someone else in the goddamn playoffs.

He looks and plays like he's 29, it wouldn't surprise me to see him play till his contract is up - I think he's under fully-guaranteed contract till 39. Pats have been beat up and fucked over the last couple seasons, it's easy to put that all on Tom, but the Pats refuse to get receivers and the weapons they do have are hurt 3/4 of the year or execution-style murdering people. Tom Terrific is fine and will be for a while yet I think. Plus, they just drafted Jimmy G so he has to at least play long enough for them to find another quarterback.

Also, I've seen no indication that Manning has anything less than two years left.

I believe he said he wants to play in his 40s. With the way he's been it looks like he could.

I hate him, least favorite player in the league. So tomorrow would be fine. I think his current contract thoughand after that he is d-u-n, dun

I hate him, least favorite player in the league. So tomorrow would be fine. I think his current contract thoughand after that he is d-u-n, dun

If I told you Tom Brady was my fav QB in the NFL how would you feel? :think:

Whenever Peyton retires + one year.

• Upvote 1

I think he probably wants 5 rings tbh. He'll play until he either is not longer elite or has 5 rings.

Until the Uggs are just too comfortable to take off for cleats, again.

• Upvote 1

If he plays like we are used to, he could go forever... But if he stalls yet again and declines for the 2nd straight year... I'd say he would not want to hold the Pats back and call it a career.

If I told you Tom Brady was my fav QB in the NFL how would you feel? :think:

It would just confirm what I already knew about you, we would have to take it to the NHB though.

he declined last year? lol

lol this.

Nothing was wrong with Brady last year. He just had absolute shit receivers to work with last season. He lost Welker, Hernandez, Woodhead, and Gronk barely played. Of fucking course his stats are gonna decline significantly. Yet he still led the Pats to plenty of comeback wins and the AFC Championship. I'd say it was actually one of his best seasons.

Pretty good piece by Skip Bayless from mid-December.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10167799/skip-bayless-clutch-play-tom-brady

Stopped reading there.

That's a pretty great declining year if you take your team to the Afc championship.

Brady hasn't declined at all. He just had no one to throw it to.

Here were his best receiving weapons in order for the AFC Championship game.

#1. Edelman - pretty much the only good pass catcher on the team, but he's a slot receiver

#2. Austin Collie

#3. Shane Vereen

#4. Michael Hoomanawanui

#5. An injured Aaron Dobson

#6. Matthew Mulligan

#7. Matthew Slater

3078-004-9B8860F2.jpg

#8. Danny Amendola

Not exactly the weapons Peyton or Kaepernick or even Russell Wilson got to work with. It was an utter joke what he was left with by the afc championship.

He can probably play at a really high level for 5 or 6 more years. The only real thing that he'll need to maintain is his footwork in the pocket. Not like he's ever been a scrambling QB, so he will probably continue to age well.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 1

I understand he had fewer weapons, and all that jazz... Lots of drops, etc. But he didn't play at the level he was used to and got the point of being a pretty middling tier QB.

He put up numbers last year, lower TDs and more turnovers, than he has since his first few years as a starter. And not only that but defenses were finally getting to him for like the first time in his career ever. Granted, that isn't his fault necessarily...

But if he doesn't think he is capable of putting up those good numbers anymore and continues to get sacked at this same rate, I am not sure why he would want to stick around.

He doesn't seem like the type of guy who is okay getting carried by the rest of his team.,... But maybe he is, I dunno.

If you sit there and tell me Tom Brady was the same QB last year as he was hte previous 4-5 years, I think you are crazy.

Again, not saying he was bad... Worth moving on from, etc... But it wasn't the same guy we have been used to.. And that's natural. I mean he's nearing 40. lol. It's not a slight, but more of an observation.

I understand he had fewer weapons, and all that jazz... Lots of drops, etc. But he didn't play at the level he was used to and got the point of being a pretty middling tier QB.

He put up numbers last year, lower TDs and more turnovers, than he has since his first few years as a starter. And not only that but defenses were finally getting to him for like the first time in his career ever. Granted, that isn't his fault necessarily...

But if he doesn't think he is capable of putting up those good numbers anymore and continues to get sacked at this same rate, I am not sure why he would want to stick around.

He doesn't seem like the type of guy who is okay getting carried by the rest of his team.,... But maybe he is, I dunno.

If you sit there and tell me Tom Brady was the same QB last year as he was hte previous 4-5 years, I think you are crazy.

Again, not saying he was bad... Worth moving on from, etc... But it wasn't the same guy we have been used to.. And that's natural. I mean he's nearing 40. lol. It's not a slight, but more of an observation.

Stats are a great tool in determining how good or bad somebody played, but they're not the end all be all. It wasn't just the weapons in the passing game. Pats had a lot of key injuries on defense too. Tom Brady was pretty much all the Pats had consistently last year and he took them to the AFCCG.

• Upvote 1

The defense that you claim he didn't have and the run game got them to the AFC championship.

The defense that you claim he didn't have and the run game got them to the AFC championship.

The Pats had a good defense for like... the first four games of the year. After that, damn near everyone got injured. They lost Wilfork (their most important player on D), Mayo (their 2nd most important), Tommy Kelly, and Talib and Dennard were injured all the time. They pretty much reverted to a 2010-esque severely mediocre defense. I mean, they allowed over 500 yards in the AFC Championship lol.

Run game was decent in 2013, but didn't really come on until late when Blount started going off.

Pats would have won 4-7 games with Ryan Mallett starting. No exaggeration. Like I said before, it was one of Brady's best seasons. No, he didn't put up huge stats, but was pretty incredible when it mattered.

From the article I mentioned...

• Down 21-20 with 4:31 left in the opener at Buffalo, Brady went 7-for-7, setting up the winning field goal with five seconds left.

• Down four at home against New Orleans, 70 yards away with 1:13 left, here came Brady -- zing-zing-zing. The winner was delivered to Thompkins with 15 seconds left.

• Down 17-7 at halftime in Houston, Brady threw for 263 the second half, leaving defensive end Antonio Smith wondering out loud whether the Pats had somehow spied on the Texans. Pats 34-31.

• Down 24-0 at the half at home to Peyton & Co., Brady threw for 263 in the second half and overtime. Pats 34-31.

• Down 26-14 at home to Cleveland, Brady produced two TDs in the final 61 seconds. Pats 27-26 as Brady threw for 323 second-half yards, most by any QB in a second half this season.

I'd say that's playing at a high level.

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis
  • Upvote 2

My argument is not that Tom Brady is horrible or bad or even mediocre. I think the negative connotation filled with the word "decline" has a lot of you guys up in arms, which really wasn't the intention.

And again... That defense that only appeared for the first 4 games bailed Brady, who looked overwhelmed against a sad Indy defense, out. As did the running game, of course.

There were just a lot of games this year (A lot relative to what we are used to) where he looked out of his element. He was nowhere near as consistent as he usually is. Some of which can obviously be attributed to a variety of other factors, but not all.

Just didn't look like the same guy for half the season or more. If it was just one or two games -- no big deal. Of course everybody is going to have their down games. But it was almost every other week, and it seems like he was getting picked off every week. Lol.

I think 2-4 years. Still looks pretty consistent to me.

Edited by BigBen07