Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Andre Johnson a No-Show at Texans OTAs

When you are under contact and being paid a boatload of money, there are no excuses to not show up and participate, and these absences should induce the withholding of any and all wages coming his way.

And this should be the case for ANY holdout. Fuck these guys who make 7 to 8 digits annually and act like they're entitled to anything, whatsoever.

Talk about being an entitled whiny little bitch. Andre's not even paying attention--this Texans team still has a nice defense and is competent quarterback play away from competing for the division due to Indy's shitty roster sans a handful of players.

It's time to stop being a little bitch, Andre. Come to work.

I understand these are voluntary workouts but Jesus H Christ. They're paying you to show and mentor younger players and be a leader as much as show up when it's required. You can give a little bit when you're being compensated to such an inflated degree.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Doing a job that many, many of us would do in a heartbeat. He's not entitled to be a little bitch. The Texans are probably going to be fairly good, to be honest. At least competitive for a WC spot, if not a division title.

He's upset about a rebuilding process that isn't even happening. All the team needs is stable QB play and they'll be fine.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Doing a job that many, many of us would do in a heartbeat. He's not entitled to be a little bitch. The Texans are probably going to be fairly good, to be honest. At least competitive for a WC spot, if not a division title.

He's upset about a rebuilding process that isn't even happening. All the team needs is stable QB play and they'll be fine.

There is no way to determine that especially considering the question marks at the QB position.

Yeah dude these NFL players aren't entitled to shit! So what they put their permanent health and mental well being on the line just to entertain us, they don't deserve anything! It's not like players get so many concussions that they end up severely fucked in the head and some end up killing themselves because it's unbearable. It's not like players are walking around like hobbled 90 year olds in their 50s because their bodies were beaten into submission from a high speed collision sport. These pussies need to suck it up! Whiny brats!

It's not like NFL players only get non-guaranteed contracts with the highest risk of life altering injuries compared to other sports or anything. This coward Andre Johnson shouldn't take control of his own situation at all — just let the cards fall as they may. How dare he want to possibly be on the open market for the first time in his career after judging for himself that the team he gave his all for all these years wasn't on the fast track towards contending in the twilight of his career. What a selfish prick. These players are so babied, NFL teams make almost no money, and owners are just losing all of their cash paying these selfish players all of their cash. Poor NFL owners, I feel so bad for them; and the league!? Oh no, the poor league losing all that cash to these greedy players.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

He signed his contract. :badass:

Edited by BJORN

It's very, very common for veterans to miss OTA's. It happens all the time, every year. The ONLY reason that this is even a story is because of a question asked by the press and answered by Andre. He's doing something that is common, but he's not happy while he's doing it so he's crybaby? Pls. :gtfo:

He has NOT asked for a trade, he is NOT holding out for more money, and he is NOT badmouthing his teammates. What exactly is the problem here? He's not showing up for OTA's? He said he's not happy about a rebuilding process? He said that in his experience, he's not a fan of regime changes? Yeah, what an asshole.

OMG, he spoke up about his displeasure with something that is going on at the top of the company he works for. I'm sure no one hear has EVER done anything so egregious. Let me know when this guy does something that actually effects anyone at all.

• Upvote 1

Ngata pretty much covered the ridiculous statement Bware responded to me with so I'll just shut up. :lol:

Yeah but I still don't get this perception by some fans that it's terrible that a player doesn't want to finish out his contract when NFL teams can end a player's contract at any time. If I sign a contract and was a damn good employee for my tenure but near the end the employer gives me worse tools to get my job done I would voice my displeasure too and I damn sure wouldn't do more (OTAs) than I had to do just to please the employer, as well would I look for an exit strategy.

He's no victim, he's just not in the wrong to me.

Now that I agree with.

I think the big thing about him skipping OTAs is that it sends a bad message to his teammates as he is supposedly a leader in the organization. That being said, I see where he is coming from in terms of the QB situation but Schaub was never much better than Fitzmagic IMO. I still think the Texans can contend in that division.

Yeah I feel that. My only thing was how Bware made him sound like the devil :lol:

I'd take Schaub over Fitz personally (more accurate, better ypa, and less turnovers) but you're probably right it's not a huge difference or anything. Probably just a little bit worse. Now if they start Tom Savage god bless their poor little hearts.

Package Manny Sanders and a pick to send to the Texans for Dre, Mr. Elway, pls.

No team in their right mind would trade a player that would result in them flushing $12mil of cap space down the toilet.

Y'all can argue that Andre has a right to be unhappy and for the most part I'd agree, but he's not going anywhere. Let him miss his OTAs, but when training camp comes along he'll show up for the paychecks.

Houston isn't going to trade him, $12 mill dead money? Jesus. I don't really blame either side for this situation. Hypothetically if AJ's contract was different and they could trade him without destroying their cap, and could get a nice little package for him then they should do right by him and send him to a contender. But I won't blame them for choosing to hold onto him when the cap penalty will be so severe.

It's pretty sad that AJ who has been arguably the best receiver of the past 10 years, so underrated his entire career, is rotting away and will likely never win a SB, or even compete in meaningful playoff games again in his prime. Hopefully he doesn't get forgotten in the history books.

Pretty sure they could do that. If he wants out bad enough he could restructure his deal in a way to make it easier.... The question becomes... How badly does he want out?

This no-show is just stupid. It's tough to understand what he really wants. Does he want money? He's already getting paid. Does he want a trade? Not really a viable option at this late in his career, IMO.

He's upset the Texans used their first round pick on Clowney instead of a quarterback, I just don't get that. There wasn't a #1 overall quarterback on the charts this year. They took Tom Savage, if Johnson would show up to camp he may actually be able to see if they can make something out of him. At this point, JOhnson is just setting himself back, he's not even helping his case.

It makes no sense what so ever, other than him just being a whiny entitled millionaire who wants to get his way.

• Upvote 2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000358875/article/andre-johnson-will-skip-texans-mandatory-minicamp

Andre Johnson will skip Texans' mandatory minicamp

Andre Johnson hasn't been to voluntary workouts all offseason in Houston. This week, he'll skip mandatory work for the first time and risk being fined by the team.

Johnson's uncle and adviser Andre Melton told the Houston Chronicle Monday that Johnson would not be at minicamp this week. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport has said for weeks that Johnson was not expected to attend. Coach Bill O'Brien said last week he wasn't sure whether Johnson would show up.

"Right now, that's all that he can do,'" Melton said of Johnson skipping work this week. "We've done what we can do, so we're just sitting there waiting."

Melton insisted that Johnson has a great relationship with new coach Bill O'Brien. The seven-time Pro Bowlwide receiver seems more dissatisfied with the Texans' lack of a quarterback. Johnson could still skip training camp in July and August, when the fines can really rack up.

"We'll evaluate it in a month or so and see what's going on," Melton said.

This is a stalemate that doesn't promise to have an exciting ending. If Johnson wants to play football this season, it's almost certainly going to be for the Texans.

If it's not about the money, considering trying to get his contract restructured could be a way out. I'd honestly would love to see Andre with a contender. The Patriots would probably be the best move. The Saints would be ridiculous (not sure of their cap space). If the Panthers had enough cap space I'd like that move and the Steelers could be an under the radar team that would tremendously boost their offense. However, this is all hypothetical and those possibilities get me lost in the zone. I literally sat here stuck for about 7 minutes day dreaming if the Eagles miraculously got Andre Johnson and seeing him catching TD passes from Foles and considering our depth chart if he were on our roster...lol.

Until someone tells me how to embed twitter (since for whatever reason it's this huge secret), deal with it:

Ian Rapaport @RapSheet · 42m

Details of divide between Andre Johnson & #Texans is posting on @NFL.com. He told them he wants to play for another team. Houston resisting

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 41m

Four teams have expressed interest in trading for #Texans WR Andre Johnson, who is working out now “not thinking of the Texans,” source said

Possible solution for #Texans, considering Andre Johnson wanted to show up at 1 time: Guarantee he’s on roster for ’15. Can retire a Texan

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 29m

Andre Johnson restructured his contract 3 times at the team’s behest. Wants same goodwill from #Texans for $1M bonus. Thinks he’s earned it

full story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364223/article/andre-johnsons-absence-involves-standoff-over-1m-bonus

This no-show is just stupid. It's tough to understand what he really wants. Does he want money? He's already getting paid. Does he want a trade? Not really a viable option at this late in his career, IMO.

He's upset the Texans used their first round pick on Clowney instead of a quarterback, I just don't get that. There wasn't a #1 overall quarterback on the charts this year. They took Tom Savage, if Johnson would show up to camp he may actually be able to see if they can make something out of him. At this point, JOhnson is just setting himself back, he's not even helping his case.

It makes no sense what so ever, other than him just being a whiny entitled millionaire who wants to get his way.

it was never about money. It was about a player who wanted to get to the peak of his profession (super bowl) and he voiced his displeasure as he as every right too. Corey Dillion did the same thing just like other players. It's a non issue anyways seeing as how he is reporting to camp. Dillion just like Johnson put his heart and soul into a dogshit team and all wants to do is win.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

it was never about money. It was about a player who wanted to get to the peak of his profession (super bowl) and he voiced his displeasure as he as every right too.

Trust me, the fact that he won't restructure and he's pissy about losing a $1 million workout bonus that he didn't even earn proves that it's at the very least a little bit about the money. He wants to play for a contender at his current salary. He can't have his cake and eat it too.

I feel like a broken record. Andre has three choices in front of him...

1. Play for the Texans at his current salary.

2. Restructure his contract to remove his cap hit making himself easier to trade.

3. Retire

Ball is in his court, yet all he wants to do is mope and play the victim card.

Edited by FartWaffles

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Houston Chronicle reports Andre Johnson is expected to report to training camp on time.
Johnson was in Houston at NRG Stadium on Monday talking with the team's brass. It's obviously great news for the Texans and would ease the minds of fantasy football players. The Texans have no real incentive to trade Johnson unless they can finagle an early-round draft pick out of the acquiring team. Johnson has averaged 110.5 catches for 1502.5 yards and nine total touchdowns over the past two seasons. A shoo-in WR1 when healthy, Johnson's current ADP is at the back of the fourth round. Jul 22 - 12:45 PM