Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Bengals Give Handy Andy 6/115

We don't know the details but it may be quite similar to Kapernick's deal. One thing for certain though is that QBs are getting paid for just being serviceable now and putting up good numbers. The reality is because of how important/valuable the position is, if you don't pay them the big bucks, someone else will. Then, you'll be out of a serviceable QB and have to settle with the teams backup QB who is most likely slightly less serviceable than the QB you lost or just plain horrible. Teams generally don't want to go in that direction which takes the team backwards. With a team as talented as the Bengals, you don't want to get worse at the QB position.

However, the same can be said from a cap management standpoint. But with this new pay as you go contract method/approach that teams are creating makes it possible to do so. If that's the case here, it's not as horrible as we all think and is a smart move because lets be serious, who on that roster gives them a better chance than Dalton? That's the dilemma. The great thing about these pay as you go contracts are is that you have to earn majority of it. So it's almost like a commission contract. You get what you put into it. But again, understanding the importance and value of the position is what gives these serviceable and stat QBs much leverage and it makes sense in this type of market. You have to pay big bucks to get what's best available to you; to remain relevant. Supply and demand and that's what it is. However, pay as you go contract seem to protect the team so good job to the innovators of that idea.

Edited by Dutch

Do you really think Andy Dalton is worth a $19.1 million annual average? Even if they cut him after two seasons, that was two seasons of severely overpaying him that could have been better money spent elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

No way in hell is Dalton worth this kind of money and I really cant understand Paul Browns logic in this. Russell and Flacco to an extent deserve this money because they have gone out there and shown that they do deserve it with super bowl wins. Dalton has is coming offa sub par year with a lot of struggle.

Honestly don't know what the Bengals were thinking here.

Edited by Arz

Do you really think Andy Dalton is worth a $19.1 million annual average? Even if they cut him after two seasons, that was two seasons of severely overpaying him that could have been better money spent elsewhere.

No, I don't believe he's worth it. Not at all. I don't believe he deserves it either. However, my point is just about the demand of the position. It holds much value and can hold the keys between taking the next step or taking several steps back. Then considering the change in offensive coordinators and everything, you never know how things can change. If Hue Jackson will help him, hurt him, or do nothing to him. Securing what's serviceable though with a potential way out (pay as you go) can be a safe method. You have two options of keeping him or cutting him if he drops the ball versus letting him go and searching for the unknown. The unknown is very risky (see Cardinals after Warner) and can take that very talented franchise through some hard times not having at least a serviceable QB. When those other contracts are up if Dalton is still around, contract restructuring is always possible and after a year or two of getting good money, players (QBs) usually yield to it for the better of the franchise.

Dalton receives a signing bonus of $12 million and a roster bonus in three days of $5 million. That’s a total of $17 million out of the gates. Coupled with his $986,000 base salary (which isn’t guaranteed as a legal matter but it is as a practical matter), Dalton will make $18 million in the first year of the deal.

Then, on the third day of the 2015 league year in March, Dalton earns a $4 million roster bonus. He also has a $3 million non-guaranteed base salary in 2015. That’s $25 million over two years.

• Upvote 1

So Joe Flacco isn't the most overpaid qb in his division anymore, let alone the league.

So it's actually 6/96 with a few incentives, and the Bengals can cut him loose after 2 years without much dead money.

Yup, basically a 2 year $25 mil commitment. Not a big deal. This is the new trend for middling young QB's 2nd contracts. A meeting in the middle of, "here's some duckets because we still believe, but you gotta ultimately prove it..."

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a gif party once the make believe 6/115 numbers came out. :D

• Upvote 2

Was shocked at first. Numbers of deal are out. I must say... I am okay with this.

But we better fucking resign AJ and Vontaze

The way the market is for QB's now (stupidly outrageous), they really didn't have a choice on this one in my opinion. Is he the guy that will get the Bengals over the hump? That's still anyones guess, he's not bad, but like a lot of other QBs who have got paid as of late, he hasn't pushed HIMSELF over the hump, much more shown the ability to do so for the entire team.

I like this deal, I like the way it was structured. Basically a two year contract and then a "Well, we will see where we're at then". I'm not so sure that the Bengals would experience a performance drop with a downgrade at QB at this point. That team is unbelievable right now.

• Upvote 1

^Cam still on his rookie contract bro, if you draft a QB in the 1st round you get an extra year. Cam will get way more than Dalton IMO.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson