Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Raiders Fire Dennis Allen

Knew it was coming, didn't think it would be this early in the season though.

Per AP reports the OAK HC has been fired.

Interim coach this early? Brutal. I wonder who the replacement will be, Tony Sporano? Al Saunders? Greg Olson? Neither name inspires confidence.

I'd like to see Sporano get another shot.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Updating an earlier item, the Associated Press' Terry Collins has deleted his report that the Raiders are firing coach Dennis Allen.

The wording of Mr. Collins' tweet was bizarre, but we went forward since he was a reporter for the Associated Press. There is still a strong chance Allen is fired during the Raiders' Week 5 bye, but it has not happened yet. The Raiders don't depart London until Monday morning. It's unlikely any decisions will be finalized before they arrive back in Oakland. Sep 28 - 10:21 PM

He was the wrong hire from the beginning. And while I understand and appreciate the patience they showed in sticking with him, it was definitely too long. I've said before, even though the Raiders aren't a great team. They are better than their records have indicated under Allen.

Bad coaching is the issue, and I honestly feel the hiring of Allen limited his staff as well. He didn't really fill out his staff with great teachers, IMO, who could fill the void or... Make up for his own shortcomings.

Again, hindsight is 20/20, but Hue Jackson and Tom Cable look really good right now. I think they could take the talent on this team (as I said, even if not being great) and elevate them.

Might be a bit random but in response to F4E I never totally understood why Cable was fired. I thought the Raiders were improving under him, but maybe I was mistaken.

Might be a bit random but in response to F4E I never totally understood why Cable was fired. I thought the Raiders were improving under him, but maybe I was mistaken.

Hell the team was 8-8 under Hue Jackson and he was fired after only 1 year. Both of those firings were very strange. Raiders are going to find a tough time finding anyone who wants to coach there.

Raiders named OL coach Tony Sparano interim head coach.

Sparano, who coached the Dolphins from 2008-11, gets the nod over OC Greg Olson. Olson has no head-coaching experience. A Bill Parcells disciple, Sparano is now most (in)famous for his Wild Cat flirtations with Tim Tebow in New York, but he should be a solid guiding hand for the final 12 games of the season. We wouldn't consider him a strong candidate for the full-time gig, but the Raiders have a knack for making poor decisions. We wouldn't rule anything out.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports a "pre-requisite" for ESPN's Jon Gruden to return to coaching would be a "franchise quarterback."

Per Breer, Gruden "really likes" Oakland's Derek Carr. Chucky is rumored to be atop the Raiders' wish list for a new head coach, but Gruden rumors have been an annual tradition with no pay off. At this point, Gruden is so comfortable — and good — in the broadcast booth we have a hard time believing he'd depart for a reunion with a team that's the biggest circus in all of football. Stranger things have happened, of course.
Edited by Vin

Gruden "likes" every player. Derek Carr sucks, he is not coming out of retirement for him.

Raiders owner Mark Davis admits he may contact ESPN's Jon Gruden about the team's coaching vacancy.

Davis also optimistically added that Gruden might contact him. Davis insisted the team's opening is an attractive one, bragging about salary-cap space and "some players." When quizzed about Reggie McKenzie's performance as general manager, Davis was a little more coy. "We'll find out," Davis told reporter Tim Kawakami. "Gotta win." Finally, Davis said he expects to have more involvement in the team's coaching search than when it hired Dennis Allen. It's going to be an interesting few months in Oakland.

This sucks for Allen. How could anyone seriously have any idea what kind of coach he is? Never should have taken that job.

Ex-Raiders HC Dennis Allen is "eyeing a return" to the NFL as a defensive coordinator.

At very least, Allen should land a defensive backs coach job somewhere. He spent just one season as a defensive coordinator -- in 2011 with Denver -- before failing as the Raiders' head coach 2012-2014. Allen spent 2006-2010 on the Saints' staff and could be an option when/if New Orleans fires DC Rob Ryan.

The San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami's "guess" is that the Raiders will name Tony Sparano head coach.

It's not a bad idea. Sparano badly wants the job, and that can't be said for many of the other candidates. It's not a particularly attractive destination if GM Reggie McKenzie is keeping his gig because another bad season will likely get him fired, resulting in a new GM wanting to bring in a new head coach. So, the Raiders may opt to keep some continuity with the Sparano-McKenzie duo and see if they can build on their 3-9 finish. Sparano is a fine leader of men.

Just when I thought McKenzie had a chance of surviving and seeing the rebuild through....

Jack Del Rio expected to become HC. Lmao Raiders.

And probably taking Mike Smith with him.