Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Do you have more balls than Ron Rivera?

Do you go for it?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go for the win or play for the tie?

• Go for it, Cam has been gashing the Bengals on the ground all day.
    • Play for the tie because I don't have the guts to handle the media if we fail to convert.

I've got a question for you guys.

Situation: Carolina 34, Cincy 37.

Ball on the Cincy 18 yard line. 2:24 left in OT. 4th and 1.

Cam has been gashing the Bengals on the ground all day long, (17 carries, 107 yards, 1 TD). The Panthers defense has been smoked in the last three drives by Dalton and the Bengals offense.

Do you go for the win? Or do you kick the FG and play for a tie, hoping your tired defense can do something it wasn't able to the previous three drives?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I'm honestly not sure how I'd call it, but I think it's a tough decision either way. In other words, Rivera isn't a pussy for kicking the FG.

• Upvote 1

If I'm taking on the Bengals offense I have the confidence of a 3 and out.

I kick for the tie. A tie hurts less than a loss, and in the NFC, every game will matter.

• Upvote 1

yeah, I'm taking the field goal and counting on my defense to at least hold onto the tie, I will add that when it looked like they might face a 4th and 2 around the 35 I was saying go for it, but once they'd gotten to the 18 I'll take the chipshot to tie it

Cam Newton falls down and he gets the yard. If we convert there, we win. The Bengals D was soft.

Dalton and the Bengals had just gotten 17 points in the last three drives. Our defense wasn't stopping anyone and they didn't stop the Bengals on that final drive either, we just got lucky that Nugent missed it.

Rivera won't take risks anymore and its really pissing me off.

Edited by Thanatos19

Cam Newton falls down and he gets the yard. If we convert there, we win. The Bengals D was soft.

Dalton and the Bengals had just gotten 17 points in the last three drives. Our defense wasn't stopping anyone and they didn't stop the Bengals on that final drive either, we just got lucky that Nugent missed it.

Rivera won't take risks anymore and its really pissing me off.

Why are you even asking a question if you're set on an answer?

I just pulled up Cam Newton's split stats on pro football reference and found some conflicting stuff, for one he's got 32 carries with 1-3 yards to go and has gotten 24 first downs, he's also gotten first downs on 22 of his 29 runs on third or fourth and short (not sure how they define 'short') but he's also converted both of the fourth down runs he's had so far in his career, which is nice but a really small sample size, bottom line is Cam definitely had a high likelihood of converting, but the downside of missing is a loss and the upside isn't necessarily a win, the Panthers still would have had to get the ball to the endzone

Why are you even asking a question if you're set on an answer?

Um, because its a discussion? Ya know, what forums are for?

My answer is kinda obvious given the way the poll questions are worded.

I just pulled up Cam Newton's split stats on pro football reference and found some conflicting stuff, for one he's got 32 carries with 1-3 yards to go and has gotten 24 first downs, he's also gotten first downs on 22 of his 29 runs on third or fourth and short (not sure how they define 'short') but he's also converted both of the fourth down runs he's had so far in his career, which is nice but a really small sample size, bottom line is Cam definitely had a high likelihood of converting, but the downside of missing is a loss and the upside isn't necessarily a win, the Panthers still would have had to get the ball to the endzone

He converted a 4th and 3 on the drive at the end of the game that tied it up at 34 apiece. Via a QB draw as well.

Yeah, I would have went for it. Cam was killing them and it was only 4th and 1. I would have swore they were going to dial up a QB sneak. Ron Rivera is way too conservative.

Cam's a solidly built guy... Unless the line just got completely blown up, I don't see much room for failure on a potential sneak or even a QB draw.

How many balls does Ron have?

• Upvote 1

This is a bit odd for me as I think Rivera was a pretty ballsy DC during his time in SD, especially compared to his replacements. But I do agree that if you have Cam Newton as your QB.... in this situation you definitely go for it.

I have no problem with Rivera kicking the field goal in that situation

I was watching live and was pretty surprised there didn't even seem to be a hesitation about going for it.

I think Cam gets that 95% of the time.

• Upvote 1

How many balls does Ron have?

Zero.

Eunuch Rivera.

• Upvote 2