seanbrock

10 Year Old Boy Charged As An Adult in 90 Year Old Woman's Death

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/10-year-old-boy-charged-adult-90-year-old-womans-death

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/tristen-kurilla_n_5990528.html

A 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy has officially been charged in the death of a 90-year-old woman.

Tristen Kurilla has been charged with criminal homicide after a forensic pathologist ruled 90-year-old Helen Novak’s death intentional. Reports say that on October 11, Kurilla was visiting family in a residence where Novak also lived, as Kurilla’s grandfather was Novak’s caretaker. At some point, Kurilla and Novak got in a dispute when Novak yelled at him, and the 10-year-old entered Novak’s room and allegedly proceeded to attack her.

Reports say that Kurilla grabbed a wooden cane, put it around Novak’s neck, and pulled it back into her throat for four or five seconds. He then took the cane away from her neck and proceeded to punch her in the stomach multiple times.

The boy was arrested this weekend following Novak’s death when his mother went to police to tell them what her son had done. Kurilla admitted to everything when he was interviewed by authorities, telling a trooper, “I killed that lady,” and claiming that he was “only trying to hurt her.”

Now, the 10-year-old boy is in Wayne County Prison and no bail has been set. He has been charged as an adult and is scheduled to appear in court on October 22,

- See more at: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/10-year-old-boy-charged-adult-90-year-old-womans-death#sthash.RLH5AFeZ.dpuf

I don't agree with this. The kid should definitely have to face consequences, but I think it's clear he was not trying to kill this old lady. I don't know a lot about the case, but something about a 10 year old being charged as an adult does not sit well with me. It doesn't seem like he meant to kill the old lady. My question is wtf are his parents doing?

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

I never even knew it was possible for a kid that young to be charged as an adult. Obviously I disagree with it.

Obviously he needs to undergo thorough mental evaluations, too.

• Upvote 2

Dunno about you guys, but at 10 years old I knew better than to hit/strangle people. I was taught to especially be careful around elderly people and very young children.

He deserves to be tried as an adult.

Doesn't this mean you could execute him?

No way on earth should he be tried as an adult. He should have psychological counseling, immediately.

Doesn't this mean you could execute him?

No way on earth should he be tried as an adult. He should have psychological counseling, immediately.

I guess, if the court deemed that punishment necessary, though in this case it seems unlikely.

And then why shouldn't every single person, regardless of age, get psychological counseling instead of harsh jail punishment? A 10 year old knows just the same as a 30 year old not to beat someone.

And overall, a 10 year old knows the difference between right and wrong, especially in a case like this. I have no sympathy for him. He made the choice to beat someone, he'll have to deal with the consequences as well.

• Upvote 1

You'd really be okay with executing a ten-year old? The moral implications of that position are kinda staggering.

Science would say otherwise Air. Much of a 10 year old's brain has yet to develop. Air, you are one of the most judgmental people on this site and in this case you couldn't be more wrong.

• Upvote 1

You'd really be okay with executing a ten-year old? The moral implications of that position are kinda staggering.

If the crime were bad enough, yes. Why should age matter when the person knows the difference between right and wrong?

I don't think this crime is bad enough to warrant that kind of punishment myself, and I'm sure the judge will be of the same opinion.

Science would say otherwise Air. Much of a 10 year old's brain has yet to develop. Air, you are one of the most judgmental people on this site and in this case you couldn't be more wrong.

A 10 year old's brain has developed more than enough to realize what beating someone can do, and why it's wrong. There's a reason you don't hear about a 10 year old killing someone very often, it's because they realize it's bad, just the same as your average adult does. It's not fucking complicated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dunno about you guys, but at 10 years old I knew better than to hit/strangle people. I was taught to especially be careful around elderly people and very young children.

He deserves to be tried as an adult.

An undeveloped brain with psychological problems = Irrational behavior, such as beating her for being mean to him. They say he didn't mean to kill her.

• Upvote 1

Years down the road he'll say he didn't mean to rape that girl, shoot that guy, rob that store, etc etc.

The imagery of the kid getting behind this woman's medical bed and strangling her with her cane, then going to the front of the bed to continue to punch her in the throat and stomach.... makes me want to try him as an adult, whether that be the right decision or not. Glad it's not up to me to decide those things.

Years down the road he'll say he didn't mean to rape that girl, shoot that guy, rob that store, etc etc.

The imagery of the kid getting behind this woman's medical bed and strangling her with her cane, then going to the front of the bed to continue to punch her in the throat and stomach.... makes me want to try him as an adult, whether that be the right decision or not. Glad it's not up to me to decide those things.

Which is why he needs HELP, not to be sentenced to jail for 15-25 years. Because I'm sure he'll be a total model citizen after his time in the slammer.

I hope he doesn't drop the soap in there.

• Upvote 1

95% sure the Supreme Court declared the execution of minors unconstitutional.

EDIT: Yep. Roper v Simmons, 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

Edited by Tridentdawgpound

The constitution is a load of shit anyway, and the opinions of a bunch of dead white slave owners should mean nothing today.

*pours gasoline over this topic*

Air, you know juvenile hall is a thing right? No one says he should just be free to go

And razor while that argument has some merit it's 100% irrelevant unless you want to execute the kid.

95% sure the Supreme Court declared the execution of minors unconstitutional.

EDIT: Yep. Roper v Simmons, 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

He's being tried as an adult. Can you try a minor as an adult, or does that then make them not a minor?

Roper v. Simmons, 543 U.S. 551 (2005), was a landmark decision in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that it is unconstitutional to impose capital punishment for crimes committed while under the age of 18.

To me, this says it doesn't matter if they are charged as an adult or not. Executing someone under 18 is unconstitutional period.

This kid is a menace to society. Regardless of how he is tried, he needs to be put away for a very long time. When someone is so incredibly lost at this young of an age, you have to wonder if rehabilitation is even feasible. The kid may not have tried to kill the lady, but he knew what he was doing and he wanted to hurt her badly.

Do I feel like prison would do him much good? Nope... In fact, it would probably end very badly for him. Attorneys submitted a petition to have the kid released back into his parents care and then they immediately withdrew the request. His family does not feel comfortable having custody of him, and would rather him stay in jail. I think that says more than enough.

Apparently, he may not be there much longer anyway. He was allowed to have coloring sheets in jail, but instead wrote down an escape plan in a notebook.

With that said... This will get moved to the juvenile court system. I would be pretty shocked if it wasn't. The only reason it wasn't to begin with is because it was filed as a criminal homicide and by law being charged as a minor ir out of the question. However, now that that process is over, a judge can move the case back to the juvenile system -- which I fully expect to happen.

If this doesn't scream sociopath, I don't know what does. This kid does not belong out in society as a free individual. Lock him the hell up.