Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Texans won't rule out a quarterback change

Per Rotoworld.com:

Following Sunday's loss to the Eagles, coach Bill O'Brien would not rule out making a quarterback change during the bye week.
Ryan Fitzpatrick completed just 13-of-27 passes Sunday as the Texans lost for the fourth time in five weeks. He ranks 22nd in passer rating, 27th in QBR and has a meager 11:8 TD-to-INT ratio through nine games. The problem for O'Brien is that his backup is Ryan Mallett, who has never started an NFL game. Ultimately, we'd be slightly surprised if he didn't give the veteran comforts of Fitzy a little more leash. Mallett tweeted this Sunday night: "I'm staying focused for when the time comes. Seize the opportunity #justwaiting." Nov 3 - 8:20 AM
Speaking Monday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien declined to endorse Ryan Fitzpatrick as his starting quarterback, and said he'll "continue to evaluate" the team's quarterback situation.
If the Texans are going to turn to No. 2 Ryan Mallett, now would be the time with the week's bye week on tap. That would give Mallett nearly 14 days to prepare for his first NFL start, which would be coming against the Browns' shaky defense. Fitzpatrick hasn't been an abject disaster, but boasts a thoroughly mediocre 11:8 TD:INT ratio through nine games. No one would fault the Texans for seeing what they have in Mallett, or perhaps even No. 3 Tom Savage. Nov 3 - 3:47 PM

I don't see why not.

If you want to make a playoff push, now is your shot. You know Fitzy isn't the long-term answer. Why not see if Mallet or Savage is before the draft?

Stop.

Mallett Time.

I don't see why not.

If you want to make a playoff push, now is your shot. You know Fitzy isn't the long-term answer. Why not see if Mallet or Savage is before the draft?

That's pretty much how a majority of Texans fans feel at the moment. Savage is a project, so they might not throw him into the fire until next season, but they might as well see what they have in Mallett right now. If they don't, they're basically just throwing away a late draft pick for a one year insurance policy.

Texans' o-line is pretty damn bad, and Mallett is about as immobile as they get. It's pretty much a lose/lose for the Texans at this point...

Stop.

Mallett Time.

I wanted to say it...

Well Mallett is officially the starter now. I'm excited to see how he does, but I'm also keeping my expectations extremely low.

Over/Under percent chance Mallett spends a night of his BYE week back in ARK to "celebrate" his new starting gig with best bro Matt Jones?

tumblr_m61v03lSsL1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

• Upvote 1

arian-foster.jpg

"Right Fart? Who does this clown Campin think he is? The Jaguars? THE JAGUARS? They're trash, B"

khan_khan%5Bketterman%5D.jpg

pgm3jRb.png?1

"Excuse me Arian, but if my calculations are correct those same shit Jaguars swept your Texans last time we met."

1389724143000-USATSI-7404087.jpg

By the way, I think we should put a bow on Ryan Fitzpatrick’s career as a starting QB.

Record as a starter: 31-54-1

Number of NFL teams that started him: 5

Number of winning seasons: 0

Most wins in one season: 6

Career: 117 touchdown passes, 101 picks, 28 lost fumbles, 185 sacks, 78.4 rating6

Here’s why I brought this up. The internet offers just about everything at this point, right? Why can’t I look up the career winning percentages of everyone who ever started an NFL game? I can find a comprehensive (and excellent) breakdown of the worst DYAR seasons from 1991-2012, but I can’t find a simple list of the worst QB winning percentages? Has anyone started 85 NFL games and won less than Fitzpatrick? We know Joey Harrington finished 26-50 and David Carr finished 23-56 … but did anyone win a lower percentage of 85 or more games than Fitzpatrick’s minus-23?

Fortunately, Grantland has one of the best editorial assistants/competitive eaters in the world: the one and only Danny Chau. Here’s what Danny found out: Only one player in football since 1920 has won less than Fitzpatrick after starting at least 85 games, a 5-foot-9 quarterback named Eddie “The Little General” LeBaron, who had a 26-52-3 record from 1952 to 1963.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/revisiting-the-y2k-compliant-quarterbacks/

"Excuse me Arian, but if my calculations are correct those same shit Jaguars swept your Texans last time we met."

Lol I guess I forgot to put the "PS: I love you." at the end of that post. :laugh:

I will retort with the fact that only a Jaguars fan would hang their hat on wins against a team that obviously quit on their head coach, and a quarterback that developed a bad case of JDS. (Jake Delhomme Syndrome)

;)

Edit: Also Arian was already done for the year before either Jaguars game last season.

Edited by FartWaffles

John McClain is reporting that Mallett played through a pec injury, and now could miss several weeks...

FitzMagic lives again...

• Upvote 1

More people need to admire the greatness of this thread.

• Upvote 1

He was real solid in his debut to be fair :shrug: Got the ball out way faster than I expected from seeing him in preseason and back at ARK. Didn't get to see him much today but he was playing with a torn pec so it must of not been that good :lol:

Honestly I'd rather O'Brien throw Tom Savage out there. I don't know if I can stomach any more PickzTragic.

If I'm a Texans fan, I'd rather have Savage out there than Fitzpatrick.

Darn. That's really crappy luck, makes sense though cause he looked like crap yesterday compared to his 1st start. Kinda puts the Texans in a murky position in terms of what to do in the draft if a QB is there.

Mallett is a free agent after the year, right?

Mallett is a free agent after the year, right?

:yep:

I'm hoping he would re-sign for a one-year "prove it" contract with the Texans. I don't think he's really going to have a great market now, but you never know...