RazorStar

Police are at it again. (Texas Cop Abusing Power)

Good move by the department telling the guy to resign or be fired (assuming that was the case. Hopefully it wasn't just based off of pressure by the media but rather by knowing right from wrong.

I read the comments before I watched the video... I seriously can't believe some of you are making excuses for the the actions of this guy. Razor had an amazing post at the end of Page 1, so I won't rant too much... But I don't think there is anything that could have happened before this video that actually makes what he did OK. Also to piggy back off sean a little, it's disturbing the other officers (seemingly) did or said nothing. You can tell they know it isn't exactly right as they kind stop him a little from chasing after the guy that he pulled the gun on... But obviously not enough to actually do anything else or stop him.

So much for brothers in blue, looking out for each other etc etc. Disgusting.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

What this guy did was way out of line and he definitely doesn't belong as a cop(the cop shown early in the video talking calmly to the teenagers is how the short dude should have been acting as well), but with that said, every time an incident like this occurs, people act like it's the entire police force in America that acted this way. There is an estimated 765,000 sworn police officers in the United States(according to a study in 2008, so that number I'm sure has fluctuated some), and while even one cop out of those 765,000 acting this way is entirely unacceptable, so is this belief that somehow every cop in America acts this way, when even in the video, there's an officer show being perfectly calm in handling the situation.

When you have 765,000+ people in a profession, there are going to be bad apples in the batch. As nice as it would be for the police academies to catch every single one who doesn't belong as cop, that's simply impossible to do(though I do think there could be some improvements made in the selection and training process).

In an effort to try and improve the law enforcement in this country, we can't overreact and start treating all of the cops like shit just because a small percentage of them acts this way. That's counterproductive to the ultimate goal.

I read the comments before I watched the video... I seriously can't believe some of you are making excuses for the the actions of this guy. Razor had an amazing post at the end of Page 1, so I won't rant too much... But I don't think there is anything that could have happened before this video that actually makes what he did OK. Also to piggy back off sean a little, it's disturbing the other officers (seemingly) did or said nothing. You can tell they know it isn't exactly right as they kind stop him a little from chasing after the guy that he pulled the gun on... But obviously not enough to actually do anything else or stop him.

So much for brothers in blue, looking out for each other etc etc. Disgusting.

The officers have to assume the officer is in the right unless they saw the entire situation unfold, which given how many people were around that the officers were having to deal with and how much noise there was, I doubt that happened. Especially in a scenario where there's a ton of people and only a few officers.

Edit: my bad on the double post, thought it was still in the timeline to merge in to the above.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

To be very clear here, I'm not at all saying the cop is in any way excused for his actions. They were disgusting and he should be fired and prosecuted for them.

The kids were, however, being fucking idiots, if what the resident said was true, especially the part about them throwing stuff at an elderly couple.

• Upvote 1

To be very clear here, I'm not at all saying the cop is in any way excused for his actions. They were disgusting and he should be fired and prosecuted for them.

The kids were, however, being fucking idiots, if what the resident said was true, especially the part about them throwing stuff at an elderly couple.

Kids have been known to act like idiots. Police officers on the other hand are supposedly trained professionals who are trained to be able to handle that kind of situation.

Kids have been known to act like idiots. Police officers, on the other hand, are known to act like kids.

Fixed

Pls go back to your corner.

How was your community service?

I'm not surprised at the few that are taking every measure to absolve the police of guilt. It's the same few that do this for every abuse of power situation that's discussed on TGP.

oochymp, I get that you went to law school and you always want to play devil's advocate just because and that you're from the south, which is generally pro-police, but it's disgusting that you can look at that video and not be outraged at the treatment of that girl.

You seem to have gotten the impression that I'm completely okay with what the officers did, and for that I apologize because that couldn't be further from the truth.

You mentioned that I went to law school, I also practice criminal law, and believe it or not I'm on the defense side. What that legal training does, however, is forces me to take everything in and give a measured response, I'm still working on that, but I think I'm well along the way.

Having said that, if you look at my posts here what I've said is (1) use of the term 'massacre' in this context is entirely out of place; (2) something happened before that video starts; (3) no conclusions should be made based on one side of the encounter; and (4) I wouldn't argue with charges being filed and sorting this incident out in court.

None of that excuses the officers involved. I've also said that police officers have a duty to de-escalate incidents they're involved in and should be held to a higher standard than your average citizen.

My point in bringing up that something happened before the video starts isn't to excuse the officers but merely to explain, and there's a huge difference, it's mitigation. If someone punches me in the face and I respond by shooting them, their act of punching me in the face doesn't excuse my shooting them, but it does explain it.

Did these officers go overboard? Certainly, but there may have been some measure of force required to resolve this situation. Whatever that level of force was definitely seems to have been exceeded, but I'm not going to treat the teens at this party as entirely innocent until I have some reason to think they were. From my experience, a situation doesn't get to that level unless both sides are acting to bring it there. As I said, the officers have a duty to de-escalate, and I'm not excusing them for not doing so, but I'm also not going to assume that they went off like that with absolutely no provocation.

• Upvote 1

-This is the same thing I talked about with the Baltimore riots....meaning that while we should be looking at the behavior of cops these things catch fire on the internet because people want to turn it into a race issue....thankfully on TGP from what I've seen we haven't fell into that.

-Air says not all the cops are bad and we shouldn't treat them like they are because of the bad apples. I tend to agree, but we should by no means stop calling out and exposing cops who do cross the line.

-I've been around a lot of police officers and I can count on one hand how many were professional and fair. I fear the police more than anything else in Chicago honestly. I like what Sean was saying as far as we need to get deeper into the psychology of the officers and raise the standards of being on the force.

-Air says not all the cops are bad and we shouldn't treat them like they are because of the bad apples. I tend to agree, but we should by no means stop calling out and exposing cops who do cross the line.

I have no issues with that. It's simply the tone that people such as Razor in his opening post have about it being time to have a "war on police" or some equally retarded statement.

• Upvote 2

It's simply the tone that people such as Razor in his opening post have about it being time to have a "war on police" or some equally retarded statement.

+1

What this guy did was way out of line and he definitely doesn't belong as a cop(the cop shown early in the video talking calmly to the teenagers is how the short dude should have been acting as well), but with that said, every time an incident like this occurs, people act like it's the entire police force in America that acted this way. There is an estimated 765,000 sworn police officers in the United States(according to a study in 2008, so that number I'm sure has fluctuated some), and while even one cop out of those 765,000 acting this way is entirely unacceptable, so is this belief that somehow every cop in America acts this way, when even in the video, there's an officer show being perfectly calm in handling the situation.

When you have 765,000+ people in a profession, there are going to be bad apples in the batch. As nice as it would be for the police academies to catch every single one who doesn't belong as cop, that's simply impossible to do(though I do think there could be some improvements made in the selection and training process).

In an effort to try and improve the law enforcement in this country, we can't overreact and start treating all of the cops like shit just because a small percentage of them acts this way. That's counterproductive to the ultimate goal.

The officers have to assume the officer is in the right unless they saw the entire situation unfold, which given how many people were around that the officers were having to deal with and how much noise there was, I doubt that happened. Especially in a scenario where there's a ton of people and only a few officers.

Edit: my bad on the double post, thought it was still in the timeline to merge in to the above.

I feel like copying and pasting this post to my Fb timeline.