RazorStar

How do you like your steak?

The Longhorn near me can't seem to figure out a rare steak. It's easy as hell but I think they're fucking scared. I just don't get steak when I go there anymore. The ones I make at home turn out better anyway.

As far as seasoning, I mix it up but start with a thick layer of salt and put in the fridge for at least an hour.

Rinse

From here I mix it up. It's good as is with maybe a little salt pepper and lemon juice. However when I'm feeling a bit nutty I'll go with an hour or so in a balsamic, Worcester sauce, lemon and Adobe marinade.

It can be cooked then, as well and it's good.

When I'm feeling really off the wall though, I'll make a rub after that. Koshr salt, paprika, garlic, brown sugar and ancho chili. Comes out awesome with just a little kick.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 2

Seasoning I usually just go with black pepper, seasoned salt (like Lowry's), a little celery salt, garlic powder, pinch of paprika, steak seasoning, and I douse it in the juice of some green chiles for a little while.

• Upvote 1

Soy sauce, a little italian dressing, garlic, little seasoned salt and sriracha in the marinade, at least 6-8 hours. Add your mushrooms to that before you put them in so they soak all that shit up. Steak medium rare, cut is more important than how long you cook it. Sautee those mushrooms up and throw em on top, bang bang.

Medium. Just can't stomach anything less than that.

Why don't season with salt? One of my favorite ways of grilling steak is just sea salt and black pepper put on just prior to grilling. Amazing.

According to the chef at the restaurant my gf manages (he went to culinary school and owns the place), the only real seasoning you should use is coarse salt, and just before you place it on the grill. Like Phail said (though the salt bit is not what I've heard, even when searching the net), if it requires other seasoning, it's not a good piece of meat or you're fucking up what could've been a nice steak.

Guest Phailadelphia

Why don't season with salt? One of my favorite ways of grilling steak is just sea salt and black pepper put on just prior to grilling. Amazing.

You're doing it right. Most people add salt AND other steak seasonings that also contain salt in them, which obviously makes for an overly salty steak.

If your steak/burger is cooked any more than medium rare you're doing it wrong. So so so damn wrong.

Quit being a puss and do it the right and only way.

Rare or Medium Rare.

ben-stiller-do-it-o.gif

Edit:

As far as seasonings...I use kosher or sea salt (whichever I have at that moment) and pepper. Grill. Done. It's all a good cut of steak needs, IMO.

Some of the best steak eating, IMO, is a thick ribeye on the grill. :yep:

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

If your steak/burger is cooked any more than medium rare you're doing it wrong. So so so damn wrong.

Quit being a puss and do it the right and only way.

Rare or Medium Rare.

ben-stiller-do-it-o.gif

Edit:

As far as seasonings...I use kosher or sea salt (whichever I have at that moment) and pepper. Grill. Done. It's all a good cut of steak needs, IMO.

Some of the best steak eating, IMO, is a thick ribeye on the grill. :yep:

People who eat their burgers med-rare are weirdos. Like, I don't like my steaks rare at all, but I understand why people like them that way and why they eat them like that.

Burgers? That is disgusting. I don't want any red / rare hamburger when I bite into it. Cook that shit all the way...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I always order burgers medium-well. One time I got a burger that was super red anyway, ate it, and the following day? Hurled something like 17 times. Turrible.

People who eat their burgers med-rare are weirdos. Like, I don't like my steaks rare at all, but I understand why people like them that way and why they eat them like that.

Burgers? That is disgusting. I don't want any red / rare hamburger when I bite into it. Cook that shit all the way...

I suppose every chef in the world that's worth a damn is a weirdo then...

When your palate matures one day...maybe...you'll get it... :yao:

I will take my immature pallet over E. Coli any day of the week.

Like, the same people who complain about over cooked and dry meats are the ones you know aren't actually cooking around here. Even cooking a burger all the way to well done... You can still have a great, juicy, and DELICIOUS burger, if cooked properly.

If I wanted to play Russian Roulette, I'd just get a gun.

• Upvote 2

BucD pls. Eat your steak bleeding, but burgers are best when cooked well. Never had a burger I didn't like tho.

When you graduate from Mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets come hit me up. I'll teach ya how to make a proper burger and steak. :yep:

Yea like i said... rare steak is one thing... under-cooked burgers are morbidly disgusting. Whatever floats ur boat tho. lol

Rare steaks are the best, but I'll only get that when I'm at a fancy restaurant when I know its quality meat and will be cooked correctly. I'll usually order medium or medium rare. And a less than well done burger is juicy and soft and delicious.

First of all, a light pink center in a burger isn't necessarily under-cooked. Second, it tastes way better than a well done burger, which often ends up way too dry. Don't eat medium rare burgers, but certainly don't cook them to well done unless you prefer that they suck and have no flavor.

Lol. As if the majority of chefs don't cook their burgers medium well.