Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

TGP Primary Poll: Republicans

20 members have voted

1. 1. As of today, who would you vote for?

• Jeb Bush
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Ted Cruz
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    • Other

Romney's campaign was a complete disaster from the beginning to pretty close to the very end. I saw a little fire, but it was in the very last few weeks of the campaign, when it was practically decided already.

Romney's campaign was a complete disaster from the beginning to pretty close to the very end. I saw a little fire, but it was in the very last few weeks of the campaign, when it was practically decided already.

I don't know about "disaster." It was certainly better than McCain's campaign in 2008. Otherwise, I agree that he underachieved. The lone highlight was the first debate, and that had more to do with Obama losing it than Romney winning it.

Saw Marco Rubio on TV talking about how voting for Trump will only divide the party beyond repair... And if you want the Republican party to stand as it sits, you need to vote for him.

It was an odd tactic... Talking about maybe the one positive thing Trump has to offer (although obviously Rubio didn't mean it that way). Kill it with fire and let it burn!

Talking about maybe the one positive thing Trump has to offer (although obviously Rubio didn't mean it that way). Kill it with fire and let it burn!

:yep: at this point there's a part of me that wants Trump to win the nomination, knowing that he'll get obliterated in the general election, that might be what it's gonna take for the Republican Party to get back to something reasonable

Saw something that FiveThirtyEight mentioned that Trump would either get annihilated or win by a narrow margin. If everyone assumes Trump will lose, why go vote? Then the Trump diehards turn out in massive amounts and Trump wins because moderates didn't give enough shits to vote.

Saw something that FiveThirtyEight mentioned that Trump would either get annihilated or win by a narrow margin. If everyone assumes Trump will lose, why go vote? Then the Trump diehards turn out in massive amounts and Trump wins because moderates didn't give enough shits to vote.

I'd be interested to read that article, Trump has no support outside of his base, which is enough to win primaries, but I don't think it's going to carry him in the general election unless we have record low turnout.

Look at South Carolina for example. Trump won the primary with 32% of the vote, but only 737,917 people voted in the South Carolina Republican primary, of which 239,851 voted for Trump. Now a couple points for comparison: in 2012 Romney won South Carolina with 1,071,645 votes, Obama lost with 865,941 votes, still more than voted in the Republican primary this year, additionally Hillary won the Democratic primary with 271,514 votes, over 30k more than Trump got. Even if you assume substantially lower turnout than 2012, Trump is going to need to find a lot of people to vote for him who aren't voting in the primaries, and I just don't think there are many more people willing to vote for him. Sure, some of the people voting for other candidates in the Republican primary will end up voting for whoever has the 'R' next to their name in the fall, but I think far more will either defect (most likely to a third party) or stay home.

Ya, I would be really interested to see numbers once one of Cruz / Rubio back out. I want to see how that backing splits amongst the remaining of the two and then Trump. My guess would be an overwhelming number would follow the non-Trump candidate.. But if Trump can even nail a third of Cruz or Rubio's backers, it will be all but over unless we can still hit a brokered convention somehow

To be fair, we can see a lot of the similarities in the Democratic party. There are a lot of Bernie supporters who would defect if Hillary wins the nomination. This could be a year with record low turnouts for the major parties, and if that happens we could see some crazy shit go down.

To be fair, we can see a lot of the similarities in the Democratic party. There are a lot of Bernie supporters who would defect if Hillary wins the nomination. This could be a year with record low turnouts for the major parties, and if that happens we could see some crazy shit go down.

Yeah I can't be bothered to vote for many if any of these candidates. Likely voting for a third if I go out to vote.

We blame and blame and blame our politicians, and then we go and choose the worst two candidates imaginable (well, I think Cruz may be worse than Trump, but there ain't a lot of difference between two shit sandwiches). Every election is proving to be an indictment of the American people. It's unfortunate, but out lives won't see that change.

Kasich just barely lost in Vermont. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, John Oliver is soooo good. His obliteration of Drumpf was a masterpiece. :yep:

As SteVo said in shout last night, probably Oliver's best work yet and that is saying something

• Upvote 1

If Rubio, Kasich and Carson dropped out right now then Cruz would easily beat Trump. None of those voters would support Trump. There's too many candidates.

• Upvote 1

Cruz is arguably worse than Trump.

• Upvote 1

But not really tho.

But not really tho.

Panders to insane Christians, threatens to attack Iran just cause, plays the dirtiest politics we've seen in years to win a state. Trump is a huge sack of shit, but he's not nearly as bad as Cruz. Pretty sure Cruz likes a flat tax which is fucking hilariously bad.

Did Cruz ever say he could shoot someone and not lose voters? Did Cruz ever lie about not knowing a white supremacist group leader? Did Cruz ever blatantly disrespect an American war hero? Did Cruz ever quite literally say that all Muslims should be banned from the US? Did he ever say most Mexicans are criminals, more specifically rapists?

I could do this all day.

Honestly I prefer Trump to Cruz because I'm not convinced Trump is serious, while I'm 100% convinced that Cruz is.

• Upvote 1

Trump has always been a hateful individual, so I see no indication that he's not serious.

I'm too lazy to look them up, but there are tons of examples of him changing his political views. I obviously don't want him to be president, but I'm not sure he'd be worse than Cruz.

People really getting shook hard to their core with how much Trump is whooping ass.

trumpeyebrows.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trump is gonna be utterly shook beyond belief when he loses to a woman.