BLUE

Alex happy

BucD+ : (03 November 2015 - 09:56 AM) In before Chip purposely tanks to get canned :chip:

• Upvote 1

It's crazy. I wish the Lions would do the same. Smh.

How Caldwell has kept his job amidst these other mid-season firings is beyond me. He's been worse than Philbin or Whiz imo.

It's Mike Mularkey though, :yao:

Just as interim, and it can't get worse right?

That is going to be rough for Mariota's development, but he was toast sooner or later.

Just as interim, and it can't get worse right?

Right. I dunno how good or bad Mularkey is because I didn't follow him extremely closely, but the point here is showing what Whiz was doing was not acceptable to the team. The only way Mularkey stays in as HC is if he wins this division, and even then as bad as this division is, not sure that'd solidify him.

That is going to be rough for Mariota's development, but he was toast sooner or later.

According to Matt Leinart, Whiz probably doesn't deserve any credit for Mariota anyway. Leinart said Whisenhunt was completely clueless in Arizona and Kurt Warner was pretty much both the QB and offensive coordinator of that football team.

Mariota's development is his own doing.

"I don't think it's a great fit and I don't think it's great timing, and here's why," Leinart said. "You look at his tenure in Arizona -- only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team -- I was a part of it."

Leinart and Warner were teammates from 2006-09 and Whisenhunt was their coach for three of those years (2007-09).

"Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in and implement 20 to 30 new plays, which he would say, 'I want these in my game plan.' We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner's offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8," Leinart said.

From an article when we hired Ken. And now that Ken has been fired:

"@MattLeinartQB: Titans coach fired. Now Mariota has a chance!"

Also, looks like Ruston WEbster, our GM, could still be safe because of this tidbit of information:

@terrymc13: #Titans GM Ruston Webster should be safe for now IMO. Whiz was hired by Tommy Smith. Ruston wanted Dan Quinn who is now #Falcons head coach.

Not that I necessarily disagree... but citing Matt Leinart as your primary arguing point :badass:

• Upvote 1

Not that I necessarily disagree... but citing Matt Leinart as your primary arguing point :badass:

Well, I would agree but Whisenhunt is 4-31 in his last 35 games so maybe Leinart knew what he was talking about after all.

Yeah, you never really know how this may or may not affect Mariota, but Leinart seems like a salty douchebag. I wouldn't necessarily take his word at face value. We'll see, obiviously.

Whisenhunt seems like one of those guys that is terrible as a HC and is best served as strictly an OC or QB coach.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Mike Zimmer as our head coach. Just glad wiz is gone now. We honestly need to start making better choices in the draft as well.

I get we were a 7-9 team on the rise and then fell to 2-14. But the draft choices could be so much better..

ONe of the worst things that could happen is that Mularkey actually makes the offense look better (wouldn't be hard to do) and the Titans decide to retain him as HC.

• Upvote 1

ONe of the worst things that could happen is that Mularkey actually makes the offense look better (wouldn't be hard to do) and the Titans decide to retain him as HC.

If that happens...

Titans interim coach Mike Mularkey said he will change the offensive scheme to better fit Marcus Mariota's strengths.

"We’ll do some things differently offensively, scheme-wise," Mularkey said. "We’re not going to change the whole offense, but we’re going to do some things philosophically different." Mariota started strong against Tampa Bay, but he has completed just under 62 percent of his throws and has as many interceptions as touchdowns in four starts since. Behind a shaky offensive line, it would make sense for Tennessee to get Mariota on the move more often to threaten defenses with his legs. Mariota has 10 rushing attempts total this season.

:notbad:

If the offense looks considerably better..I'm talking top 10 in the NFL type of range, I don't see any reason not to retain him.

We have arguably the best defensive coaching staff in football and it's played well enough in every game for us to win. If Mularkey's focus on the offense turns it in to a good one, then this turns in to a good football team.

We're good enough on defense already to be a playoff contender, and I'm not saying that just because the AFC South sucks, I'm speaking in general. If Mularkey makes us good enough on offense to complete the team, I have no issues with him being the guy going forward.

That said, that's very unlikely to happen.

I do hope whoever we do hire in the likely event that Mularkey is let go at the end of the year gives serious consideration to keeping our defensive staff.

Steve Underwood(and Amy, the team's owner now) both made note of how well our defense has played and finds the issue to be the offensive side of the ball, so hopefully that means they'll try and encourage the next full-time HC, if it's not Mularkey, to keep our defensive staff.

yeah, why the hell would you listen to a guy who played under Whisenhunt as a young QB about how Whisenhunt deals with young QBs?

• Upvote 1

I can definitely see them using Mariota's legs more but I did hear in the presser that Amy (Bud Adam's daughter and controlling owner — I know way too much about the Titans now after this afternoon btw) was concerned with Mariota's knee and IMO it was hinted they feared Whiz might "RGIII" Mariota to save his job which makes the timing of the firing make a little more sense I guess.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how they use him :yep:

• Upvote 2

Interim coach Mike Mularkey said Antonio Andrews is the Titans' "workhorse" at running back.

Mularkey sounds like he plans to install run-first concepts to dumb down the offense and go back to old-school football. He wants blocking TEs Craig Stevens and Phillip Supernaw to get more snaps and for Andrews to dominate the early-down work at running back. The role sounds great for Andrews, but reality is he's a Shonn Greene-type plodder who's averaging 3.7 YPC on 54 totes.

wait... the Titans have a tight end named SUPERNAW? That's probably the most relevant the Titans have ever been to me.

• Upvote 2

wait... the Titans have a tight end named SUPERNAW? That's probably the most relevant the Titans have ever been to me.

yeah, dude beasted in the preseason

I find it funny people keep critcizing what Matt Leinart said when nothing Whiz has done has proved anything to the contrary. Whiz has been worthless without Warner.

I find it funny people keep critcizing what Matt Leinart said when nothing Whiz has done has proved anything to the contrary. Whiz has been worthless without Warner.

he's also been a solid coordinator with Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers

also, who didn't see this speculation coming? Titans will be able to pursue Chip Kelly, if they want to | ProFootballTalk