Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Mike Zimmer Calls Out Gregg Williams

Zimmer said the Rams went too far and pointed the finger at defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

"I agree that it was a cheap shot," Zimmer said on KFAN-FM, adding, "[Gregg Williams'] defenses are all like that."

"I didn't have much to say to him," Zimmer said in his postgame news conference. Then, when asked about the response of his players to the hit, the coach said, "If we were out in the street, we probably would've had a fight."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14086450/minnesota-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer-calls-st-louis-rams-hit-teddy-bridgewater-cheap-shot-points-finger-gregg-williams

What did you guys think? Was the hit dirty?

Edited by Favre4Ever

Yes, that hit was dirty, Bridgewater was in his foot first slide well before the defender jumped at him, but I do think it's a bit much to call out Williams

Edited by oochymp

^I don't. Gregg Williams can only blame himself for his history so of course teams are going to accuse him of dirty play when shit like this happens. Oh, and let's not forget that people have accused Jeff Fisher coached teams of this before. It's not that out there for Zimmer to do this, and you factor in that Minnesota puts this game away for good with Teddy back there and Mike's got plenty of a reason to be angry.

Definitely a dirty hit IMO. Was it Gregg Williams who told him to do it? Ehhhhhhh.

I don't think Williams is actually stupid enough to try that shit again, and I'm not a big fan of coaches calling out other coaches based purely on reputation

Back to the hit, for those who haven't seen it here's the best clip I could find of it on youtube:

and in case that get's taken down: Watch St. Louis Rams vs. Minnesota Vikings [11/08/2015] - NFL.com [the clip is titled 'Bridgewater shaken up after late hit' :rolleyes: ]

I'm really interested to see how the NFL comes down on this because if that had been Andrew Luck instead of Bridgewater I'm almost positive it would be a multi-game suspension, but this'll probably just be a fine in an amount roughly half of what it would have been if he'd worn the wrong color socks

• Upvote 2

Definitely a dirty hit IMO. Was it Gregg Williams who told him to do it? Ehhhhhhh.

I don't think Gregg Williams literally tells players to do certain things to certain players anymore, but you can't convince me that he doesn't teach them to do dirty things in general.

Also, I blame Jeff Fisher more than Gregg Williams. Fisher has a history, too, and to hire Gregg Williams in the first place proves that.

Also, the Bridgewater play isn't the most concerning for me, and I will admit after the fact that while I think Joyner had plenty of time to hold up, the real time play doesn't exactly give him time to make a decision. I think he likely rolled with what he started to do and hoped nothing bad would happen.

The most concerning thing or me is the history that Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams' teams have shown.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I'm really interested to see how the NFL comes down on this because if that had been Andrew Luck instead of Bridgewater I'm almost positive it would be a multi-game suspension

Historically speaking, that's an accurate assessment.

• Upvote 1

LaMarcus Joyner is a good dude, he's never been in trouble...and never had any similar incidents. I don't think it's a dirty play.

Risque? Yeah...probably just want to throw your hands down on him...but they both make the slide/tackle moves at the same time so it's pretty hard to ease up. It's not like he led with his helmet or anything either.

It's just football.

• Upvote 1

QB slid three yards in front of him, he had plenty of time to pull up, and everyone knows you don't hit a QB when he's in a feet first slide, that's a dirty hit

Just because he didn't mean for it to be a dirty hit, doesn't mean it wasn't a dirty hit, though.

As far as the Luck thing goes, I don't think you would get a multi-game suspension for that hit, if it was your first offense as it is with Joyner, regardless of who you hit.

Just because he didn't mean for it to be a dirty hit, doesn't mean it wasn't a dirty hit, though.

As far as the Luck thing goes, I don't think you would get a multi-game suspension for that hit, if it was your first offense as it is with Joyner, regardless of who you hit.

slight exaggeration, but it'll still be interesting to see how the league reacts, I do think a suspension would be appropriate, but I'm expecting a fine somewhere in the $8K range

Yeah, I really don't think he intended to hurt Teddy, but Gregg Williams teaches his players to hit the QB any chance they get and that's fine but you also have to teach them to understand plays that will obviously be flagged.

I used to be somebody who thought the quarterback protection rules were annoying and favoring, but over the years I've changed my stance. The quarterback is not nearly as big (in most cases), strong, fast, or physically fit as the guys who are trying to hit him. These rules are necessary in order to prevent these terminators from annihilating quarterbacks over and over again, and I agree with them with the exception of the hit to the head rule including any hit to the head. Inadvertent light hits should not be flagged.

That was as big of a cheap shot as I've seen. Fuck the Rams, Jeff Fisher & Williams are both scumbags. Them coaching together is just too much.

It ended up being a dirty hit but I'm pretty sure Joyner didn't mean it to end up how it did. He knows Teddy's mother, he's known Teddy for years. They're cool. It's just an unfortunate play and Joyner has to learn you can't do that shit.

I'm still waiting to hear about a fine, but just to keep score David Bass got fined $17,363 for this sack of Drew Brees on Sunday:

https://twitter.com/rothbardacus/status/663891640814313472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

closer angle:

breeshit.0.0.gif

Brees did need stitches in his chin if anyone's wondering

Edited by oochymp

That's even a borderline hit in my eyes. I mean, yes, there was helmet to helmet, but it was more incidental, he was just going for a wrap up sack.

That's even a borderline hit in my eyes. I mean, yes, there was helmet to helmet, but it was more incidental, he was just going for a wrap up sack.

you'll notice I just referred to it as a 'sack', but it was Drew Brees so it did get a penalty and then Orakpo got two of his own yelling at the ref over the call (which were deserved, no matter how bad the call you deal with it and get on to the next play)

Edited by oochymp

I look at all these plays and just see football :shrug: The league has made it so you have to play through the whistle, but then fine you if you do.

• Upvote 1

St. Louis Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner has been fined $23,152 by the NFL for his illegal hit on Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater on Sunday, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14114720/lamarcus-joyner-st-louis-rams-fined-23152-hit-head-teddy-bridgewater-minnesota-vikings