Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Rise of College Crybullies

At the University of Missouri, Jonathan Butler, the son of a wealthy railroad executive (2014 compensation: $8.4 million), went on a hunger strike to protest what he called “revolting” acts of racism at Mizzou. Details were scanty. Nevertheless, black members of the university football team threatened to strike for the rest of the season unless Tim Wolfe, Mizzou’s president, stepped down. A day or two later, he did.

Emboldened, student and faculty protesters physically prevented reporters from photographing a tent village they had built on public space. In another shocking video, a student photographer is shown being forced back by an angry mob while Melissa Click, a feminist communications teacher at Mizzou, shouts for “muscle” to help her eject a reporter.

What is happening? Is it a reprise of the late 1960s and 1970s, when campuses across the country were sites of violent protests? In my book “Tenured Radicals: How Politics Have Corrupted Our Higher Education,” I showed how the radical ideology of the 1960s had been institutionalized, absorbed into the moral tissues of the American educational establishment.

The crybully, who has weaponized his coveted status as a victim, was first sighted in the mid-2000s. He has two calling cards, race and gender. By coincidence Lawrence Summers, then president of Harvard University, was involved in the evolution of both

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/the-rise-of-the-college-crybullies-1447458587-lMyQjAxMTA1MDEzNDUxNDQ3Wj

The Rise of the Crybully.... Great article everyone should read. A fresh take on the losers at Missouri and Yale. Bunch of the privileged upper class puffing out their chest, pretending like they are a victim is gross and disgusting.

This hyper sensitivity to nothingness needs to end.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I think it started with the rise of douche bags among young people, and I don't know if the internet had anything to do with it or not. People started surrounding themselves only with those who would never challenge their opinions, and couldn't handle anyone who didn't fit that description.

The hypocrisy of the wall street journal criticizing someone for having political opinions while being wealthy is amazing...

In fact, the racist incidents on Mizzou's campus since the protests have started is proof that the protests were valid to being with.

• Upvote 1

Look, in some cases there are individuals who know nothing of hardship and should not be protesting, but for Mr. Kimball to sweep everything under a rug that says "They're all too sensitive" and to make sweeping blanket statements about campus safety while not even acknowledging the number of rapes that occur on college campuses is downright silly and uneducated on the topic.

This guy sounds like everybody's racist uncle. To minimize these issues like this when they may very well be happening is to stand from afar and act as if he knows every single thing that has happened at these Universities.

As someone who spent a lot of time in college and who knows many people who are now teaching college classes, I saw several minority students looking for special treatment, and I've heard or more from my teacher friends since then BUT I saw many, many more white students looking for special treatment in my time at Universities and my friends talk about many more entitled white students than minority students.

There is a problem Kimball addressed--white privilege, but he completely disregarded what minority students face because of it, and it made him look uneducated.

Edited by BwareDWare94

1. The guys background financially has nothing to do with anything.

2. He never ever pretended to be poor. Everyone from the start knew he was coming from a rich family.

3. It doesn't matter if you are a poor black, or a rich black person. Racial hostility is still racial hostility.

I think it started with the rise of douche bags among young people, and I don't know if the internet had anything to do with it or not. People started surrounding themselves only with those who would never challenge their opinions, and couldn't handle anyone who didn't fit that description.

Mhm.... Kids are being coddled. They are being told that they will change the world and that they shouldn't allow anything to stop them. They aren't used to being wrong and in fact don't even know what it's like being wrong because it's not possible for them to be wrong. Parents have put their children on a pedestal without having to earn it -- and have created a bunch of little monsters.

Favre, do you have anything to say beyond Bill O'Reilly talking points?

• Downvote 1

Hunger strikes are stupid.

• Upvote 1

Mhm....white Kids are being coddled. They are being told that they will change the world and that they shouldn't allow anything to stop them. They aren't used to being wrong and in fact don't even know what it's like being wrong because it's not possible for them to be wrong. White Parents have put their white children on a pedestal without having to earn it -- and have created a bunch of little white monsters.

Fixed

• Downvote 2

1. The guys background financially has nothing to do with anything.

2. He never ever pretended to be poor. Everyone from the start knew he was coming from a rich family.

3. It doesn't matter if you are a poor black, or a rich black person. Racial hostility is still racial hostility.

I definitely agree that "racial hostility" is bad. But the world is a nasty and hostile place. What happens when Jonathan leaves the bubble that is Missouri and sees a shit stain covered Swastika in the real world walking the streets of his city home after work? Who is he going to cry to? Who is he going to feign his concern to? What audience will he ponder to? Will he starve himself when nobody is there to care?

Unlikely.

And that is how you know he is a "crybully". He's an actor. If he or anyone else is a REAL victim, they won't need an audience and people will care beyond the liberal standards of a college campus.

Favre, do you have anything to say beyond Bill O'Reilly talking points?

I have literally never watched more than an interview clip on Youtube of Bill, so your reference is somewhat over my head. Care to explain?

The general "kids these days are too coddled" mentality. The only thing you were missing was a complaint about giving participation trophies to kids.

The general "kids these days are too coddled" mentality. The only thing you were missing was a complaint about giving participation trophies to kids.

Didn't even know that was an O'Reilly thing. Although it's not really the type of opinion one guy can have. Like.... It's not really that ridiculous to say that this generation is treated like the children that they are. We've been hearing that for a while and not just from Bill.

Would you like to refute the claim that kids are coddled nowadays?

I definitely agree that "racial hostility" is bad. But the world is a nasty and hostile place. What happens when Jonathan leaves the bubble that is Missouri and sees a shit stain covered Swastika in the real world walking the streets of his city home after work? Who is he going to cry to? Who is he going to feign his concern to? What audience will he ponder to? Will he starve himself when nobody is there to care?

Unlikely.

And that is how you know he is a "crybully". He's an actor. If he or anyone else is a REAL victim, they won't need an audience and people will care beyond the liberal standards of a

Does this mean that to you, if in the real world people like Jonathan have needs that get constantly ignored he should just shut up and accept that's how it is in the real world?

Does this mean that to you, if in the real world people like Jonathan have needs that get constantly ignored he should just shut up and accept that's how it is in the real world?

Not at all, but there are constructive ways to improve yourself, others around you, and the place you find yourself. What he has chosen to do is not that constructive. And those ways don't include starving yourself.

Fixed

What are you even on about bud

To an extent I can understand what you're getting at Favre. The younger generations have been a lot more socially progressive and it's caused a lot of stirring about how to best promote their ideas. While some are more reserved about their opinions a lot have decided to join up on the militant progressive bandwagon that's forming. Any new cause, whether it be homosexuality, transgenderism, race relations, or any other social issue flood, is just more fuel to the fire. I'm not saying these aren't issues that shouldn't be addressed, but there is a way to address them and the younger generation needs to find that way.

As for the hunger strike, it's incredibly foolish and not an effective way of getting change. It's just damaging to yourself.

What are you even on about bud

To an extent I can understand what you're getting at Favre. The younger generations have been a lot more socially progressive and it's caused a lot of stirring about how to best promote their ideas. While some are more reserved about their opinions a lot have decided to join up on the militant progressive bandwagon that's forming. Any new cause, whether it be homosexuality, transgenderism, race relations, or any other social issue flood, is just more fuel to the fire. I'm not saying these aren't issues that shouldn't be addressed, but there is a way to address them and the younger generation needs to find that way.

As for the hunger strike, it's incredibly foolish and not an effective way of getting change. It's just damaging to yourself.

The protests that were done in Missouri were as peaceful (from the people doing the protesting) as a protest could possibly be. Considering the fact they have been ignored for what seems like months.

If that's not the "right way" to go about doing it, then what is? Because we all know the alternative.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I am not going to argue that the Missouri protests have been "violent".. But they have proven that they are privileged douches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-missouri-protesters-block-journalists-press-freedom.html?_r=0

Uncalled for. They act like they are entitled.... like they are owed something... This isn't a protest demanding equality or to be treated the same as everyone else. This is a group whoring themselves for the spotlight and taking an opportunity to grandstand.

Look at the responses on twitter form protesters... " You don't like that we took public area and called it our own and forced you to leave? Well then you should leave "

What arrogant assholes. What would happen is Missouri officials went up to those brats and told them that if they didn't like it there that they should just enroll somewhere else? There would be a SHIT STORM. lol

Protesters are treating other people like they are beneath them.. They are treating people with disdain and disrespect. What are you protesting for again? Oh right... Your hypocrisy is noted.

Grow up... Idiots.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm not sure if some people didn't read the article or are missing the forest for the trees, the issue here has nothing to do with whether the specific individual at Missouri was actually discriminated against or disadvantaged or whether the protests at Missouri were physically violent, or really anything to do with Missouri specifically. The issue that article is raising is people using the ideas of a 'safe space' and 'trigger warnings' as a way to silence people who have views different from yours. Isn't that what college is supposed to be for? That's where you're supposed to start confronting opinions that are different from your own and learn about other perspectives and perhaps even evolve your own way of thinking. I thought this line from the article captured it rather perfectly: "The idea that one should attend college to be protected from ideas one might find controversial or offensive could only occur to someone who had jettisoned any hope of acquiring an education."

If people are saying things that you find offensive the answer isn't to silence their voice, but to add your own and hopefully help them realize why their views and perspectives seem offensive to you, and when you engage them in discourse you both gain a perspective and maybe you'll even find a middle ground.

• Upvote 2

The protests that were done in Missouri were as peaceful (from the people doing the protesting) as a protest could possibly be. Considering the fact they have been ignored for what seems like months.

If that's not the "right way" to go about doing it, then what is? Because we all know the alternative.

By no means am I saying that the Mizzou protests are violent. That's one of the best ways to do things, the way they've acted at Mizzou. I don't necessarily agree with blocking reporters or shit like that if that's what happened, but it's better than riots.

I'm not sure if some people didn't read the article or are missing the forest for the trees, the issue here has nothing to do with whether the specific individual at Missouri was actually discriminated against or disadvantaged or whether the protests at Missouri were physically violent, or really anything to do with Missouri specifically. The issue that article is raising is people using the ideas of a 'safe space' and 'trigger warnings' as a way to silence people who have views different from yours. Isn't that what college is supposed to be for? That's where you're supposed to start confronting opinions that are different from your own and learn about other perspectives and perhaps even evolve your own way of thinking. I thought this line from the article captured it rather perfectly: "The idea that one should attend college to be protected from ideas one might find controversial or offensive could only occur to someone who had jettisoned any hope of acquiring an education."

If people are saying things that you find offensive the answer isn't to silence their voice, but to add your own and hopefully help them realize why their views and perspectives seem offensive to you, and when you engage them in discourse you both gain a perspective and maybe you'll even find a middle ground.

This times a thousand :megusta:

What oochymp said pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I will only point out that ignoring the protest's stated goal entirely because they tried to keep reporters out of their "safe space" is a logical fallacy. What they did trying to keep the media out was incorrect, the media had just as much of a right to that spot as they did. But their message to stand together against racial bigotry is not changed because of their actions in regard to the media. Attacking their stance on that, and ignoring their main focus is a strawman.

Yes, they should be criticized for trying to remove the media, but their message still needs to be heard. Which, ironically enough, is precisely what the media is for, lol.

Edited by Thanatos19

-Agree with Oochy

-Ferve should be banned

-"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

Doesn't matter what space this is happening or who is choosing to speak up...there is nothing crying or bullying about what these students choosing to act. They have every single right through every single cent paid to that school to have the environment they want. And if there was a better way to go about protesting fine...they can get better...they can mess up...that is what that time in life is for. But I don't feel anyone should EVER fault these kids for choosing to act instead of standing by and doing nothing.

Edited by buthungry
  • Upvote 2