RazorStar

Texans sign a winner at QB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642792/article/brock-osweiler-agrees-in-principle-to-72m-texans-deal

In the most stunning news of free agency thus far, NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported that Brock Osweiler and the Houston Texans have agreed in principle to terms on a new contract, according to a source informed of the negotiations. The new deal is worth $72 million over four years, a source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Suddenly we need a QB. The market right now is... um... RG3, Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Fitzpatrick. whoa baby.

RG3 would be an interesting prospect running Kubiak's offense.

Gary Kubiak is going to have a lot of work to do.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick would more than keep Denver in the playoff picture, but without an offensive line, none of those options are good. RG3's career fishtailed because of the hits he took. I thought Houston was the best bet for him to resurrect his career, but Houston went with a surprisingly weak-armed yet very big QB. Houston will regret this decision and hopefully they made it a Kaep-Dalton style deal where they can GTFO if Brock is terrible.

Denver will be fine so long as they don't do anything rash. If I was them I'd be in the hunt for Wentz or Lynch, now. If Cleveland passes on Wentz, and if they believe Jerry when he says Dallas is "unequivocally not drafting a QB" at pick #4, trade up for one of those two.

I'm not sure what to think. I guess there's optimism as Osweiler even at his worst is better than Hoyer at his best, but clearly the Texans vastly overpaid to get him to come to Houston.

It's nice to see the Texans sack up and roll the dice for once in their entire franchise history. Let's just hope it doesn't bite them in the ass...

trading for Schaub at the time was sacking up IMO. Funny he's back in Atlanta now as a backup again. :yao:

Schaub has had a hilarious career trajectory:

serving as the backup in Atlanta until he was traded to Houston where he replaced David Carr and had some really good seasons as the starter before he was ultimately traded to Oakland where he was quickly replaced by Derek Carr, now after a brief stop in Baltimore he's back to being the backup in Atlanta

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Matt Schaub works the same way.

I'm not sure what to think. I guess there's optimism as Osweiler even at his worst is better than Hoyer at his best, but clearly the Texans vastly overpaid to get him to come to Houston.

It's nice to see the Texans sack up and roll the dice for once in their entire franchise history. Let's just hope it doesn't bite them in the ass...

You clearly haven't seen Brock at his worst then.

You clearly haven't seen Brock at his worst then.

You clearly don't know who Brian Hoyer is.

Brock at his worst throws a pick and gets like 150 yards. Dude is consistently average. Hoyer either goes 350 and 3-0 or 100 and 0-3.

After losing Brock Osweiler to a Texans team willing to pay the quarterback a whopping $72 million over four years, Broncos general manager John Elway is in no mood to acknowledge defeat.
"We've stayed true to our philosophy of building a team with players who want to be Denver Broncos and want to be here. That's been a successful approach for us," Elway said, per the team's official website.
"While we did offer a very competitive and fair long-term contract to Brock, we ultimately had to remain disciplined while continuing to assemble a roster that can compete for championships."

:mjlaugh:

I don't know, but Elway seems to be coming off a bit salty here. Word is now that they are eying Colin Kap for a 2nd rounder.

Schaub, the current Falcons backup, leads the Texans franchise in passing yards, completions and touchdowns — both in a single season and all-time.
“I know Matt Schaub,” said Smith. “I’m the guy that traded for him in 2007 and made him the starter. I’m the guy that signed him to a four-year, $62 million contract extension. Brock Osweiler is in that class.”
The new Texans quarterback says he isn’t daunted by the Schaub comparisons.
“Daunted? No, I don’t think that’s the right word,” he said. “Depressed, maybe. Yeah, that’s the word. It’s depressing.”

:rofl: Sportspickle is great

• Upvote 1

I don't like this signing.

An unproven QB that has shown me nothing outside of medicority...but I guess that's the theme to be a Texans QB.

You clearly don't know who Brian Hoyer is.

Hoyer had better stats last year

Brock hasn't had enough playing time to determine that he is consistently anything.

I like Brock, his upside is off the charts. I wanted to keep him, but there's no competing with that contract. If you've got it to spend, spend it. Everyone always says that the Texans are just a QB away.

Hoyer had better stats last year

Except in the biggest game of his pro career.

Brock Osweiler says he’s struggled to pick up the Texans’ offense.

"It’s like you speak Spanish your whole life and then all of a sudden, they tell you to go learn French and do it in front of 70,000 people," Osweiler said. "There’s some carryover from my previous years. It’s not like I’m a complete rookie with no base, but obviously there’s a lot of new things." Osweiler is in the early stages of comprehending Bill O’Brien’s scheme. We suspect this is an overblown story so early in the offseason. The Texans are fully invested in Osweiler after giving him $37 million guaranteed on a four-year, $72 million deal.

It is an overblown story. If you watch the actual interview, you wouldn't even use the word "struggle" to describe what he's talking about. It's more just him talking about the differences and getting acclimated to the new offense.

Video: http://m.houstontexans.com/s/30862/VideoAudio

Click on: "Osweiler: We had an exciting draft as a whole"

Edited by FartWaffles