Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Louisiana passes "Blue Lives Matter" law

Everything is a non-issue unless it effects you personally.

Grammar affects us all.

• Upvote 2

So serious question here, why do we play this asinine game of," Lets see who can be the biggest douche to cop" I have seen all these cards passed around about what you can and cant say to a cop and all these "jailhouse lawyers" who can tell you what a cop can and cant do. It is like that stupid myth high school kids say where if a cop comes to your party and you ask them if they are a cop they have to tell you. It is dumb shit like that, and an attitude of noncompliance that causes issues in most cases.

We have rights as citizens of a free country (that a lot of you hate) and if those rights are violated, hash them out in court. When you fight with a cop, you lose. When you try to be the smartest dick in the world, you agitate a cop, and lose more than you win. Some day it could end up with you lying in the street taking your last breath wondering if you had just complied what would have it been like. Mike Brown learned the hard way. Dont be Mike Brown.

Now, sometimes there are angry, evil, dickhead cops who do dirt and get off. They should share the same fate as those they violated. I think the Erick Gardner (Garner?) tragedies is one that haunts me. That cop should be sitting in a cell for the rest of his life, in gen pop. So I will grant you that there are some who deserve to either never see the light of day or be killed. Most of these situations I see though may not warrant the death penalty, but god damn, is being a dick to a cop really worth it? What do you get? "street Cred" I have had a few brushes with the law myself and I was always docile as I was taught to be with cops, and I still went to jail, but I never went there lumped up. I just dont see the benefit.

Did the chants hurt someone? How IS it an issue ?

The fact that some cops think like that is an issue to begin with, is it not?

The fact that some cops think like that is an issue to begin with, is it not?

I don't think so. I mean it is an opinion as anyone's, but I don't care.

So serious question here, why do we play this asinine game of," Lets see who can be the biggest douche to cop" I have seen all these cards passed around about what you can and cant say to a cop and all these "jailhouse lawyers" who can tell you what a cop can and cant do. It is like that stupid myth high school kids say where if a cop comes to your party and you ask them if they are a cop they have to tell you. It is dumb shit like that, and an attitude of noncompliance that causes issues in most cases.

We have rights as citizens of a free country (that a lot of you hate) and if those rights are violated, hash them out in court. When you fight with a cop, you lose. When you try to be the smartest dick in the world, you agitate a cop, and lose more than you win. Some day it could end up with you lying in the street taking your last breath wondering if you had just complied what would have it been like. Mike Brown learned the hard way. Dont be Mike Brown.

Now, sometimes there are angry, evil, dickhead cops who do dirt and get off. They should share the same fate as those they violated. I think the Erick Gardner (Garner?) tragedies is one that haunts me. That cop should be sitting in a cell for the rest of his life, in gen pop. So I will grant you that there are some who deserve to either never see the light of day or be killed. Most of these situations I see though may not warrant the death penalty, but god damn, is being a dick to a cop really worth it? What do you get? "street Cred" I have had a few brushes with the law myself and I was always docile as I was taught to be with cops, and I still went to jail, but I never went there lumped up. I just dont see the benefit.

I don't like this argument at all. To me, you're just blaming the victim here. Cops are trained- or they are supposed to be trained to- de-escalate the situation. They are should be held to a higher standard than your average human being.

Running from the police does not warrant a death penalty, as you pointed out, to be fair. Still, this argument just rubs me the wrong way here.

I happen to agree that there are people who seem to just try to get a cop to lose his temper, but it still doesn't justify a return response of heightened aggression in any way.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

If a "victim" does literally nothing but escalate, certain actions need to be taken. depending on the circumstances, sometimes that unfortunately means firing a weapon.

I don't know what official protocol calls for, but what do you do with someone who literally does NOTHING you say. What happens when that person then becomes violent... What then happens when that person is armed?

It's not a position I envy, that is for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In that case, armed force may be required.

My point is that too many cops seem to jump right to that scenario, instead of even trying to de-escalate. If the cops try to calm them down and then they continue to be belligerent and resort to violence, by all means, take them down, non-lethally if you can.

The military has to go through a checklist before they're allowed to use lethal force. Cops should be too.

In that case, armed force may be required.

My point is that too many cops seem to jump right to that scenario, instead of even trying to de-escalate. If the cops try to calm them down and then they continue to be belligerent and resort to violence, by all means, take them down, non-lethally if you can.

The military has to go through a checklist before they're allowed to use lethal force. Cops should be too.

Almost nobody follows the ROE, and cops do have them.

Do too many cops go to that option though? We see the extreme cases blasted in the media and across all news platforms, but what percentage of the entire US police force goes through that. I suppose you could argue one is too many, which is fair, but I don't feel it's practical to expect 0 incidents.

I think it would be wise to have a clearer standard, work more on deescalating during training, be more consistent with training across the board.. have it become a continuous education type of thing, work in simulated high pressure situations. Spending a minute number of hours or days on any one thing when you may be working that job for 40 years isn't adequate.

I just think there is a point or a line somewhere that I don't really want to cross. A full-out militarization of our police force is not adequate to me. But mixing in some more military techniques or stress the things the military does in training seems fine if smarter people than me feel it would help.

And let me be clear, I am not defending the truly bad cops out there. As mentioned a little bit earlier, there are bad people suiting up on the daily. Whether they are racists or whatever else. I don't have respect for those people. Let them hear and see the ire of our people. Give em' hell, they deserve at least that and much more.

I just really empathize with those decent and good cops who are just getting smeared to hell that is no fault of their own. I can't even imagine the immense pressure and anxiety that must go along with that job. And maybe even more so, I really feel for black cops. It seems like they are in a no-win situation.

Edited by Olenna4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Don't resist and there's nothing to worry about right?

https://imgur.com/gallery/XNXQ7k0

That is painting the exception as the rule. Of course, there are bad cops and shit circumstances, but are we really going to say that is the majority ?

If we are going by that logic we should never buy a car because it will break eventually.

Edited by Omerta

That is painting the exception as the rule. Of course, there are bad cops and shit circumstances, but are we really going to say that is the majority ?

If we are going by that logic we should never buy a car because it will break eventually.

No, its because they seem to almost never get punished. Cops are protected by the courts and the judicial system. If there were bad cops but they got punished by more than just a slap on the wrist instead of basically nothing being done 90% of the time, their image wouldn't be as shit as it currently is.

Cops get put on leave or fired all the time. What you really mean to say is that the small percentage of cops in a small percentage of the cases / incidents the media gives us aren't punished and the system fails us.

• Upvote 1

The problem isn't really bad cops. The problem is that they don't get punished for when they do bad things.

Ok. That I can deal with. I am just so sick and tired of this bullshit narrative that cops are some evil people just waiting to go out and shoot somebody. I would be willing to bet that the cross-section of cops in this country that the percentage that are good would outweigh the percentage that is not, by an incredible margin.

You know, you may be on to something with the justice system. That being said would you not agree that there is a huge gray area when it comes to defending your own life? I mean, how do you know if somebody is really going to use their guns, knife, blunt object, ballpoint pen. It really does happen that fast. If a cop said some guy was trying to stab him with a ballpoint pen it takes him getting that shoved in his eye, ear and it's over for him. Either that or he has extensive brain injuries, but, if the news were to report that a policeman had shot somebody because they had a pen the world would be set on fire. Now, obviously there is a bit of hyperbole there, but seriously what would you do in a situation like that

Edited by Omerta

Cops get put on leave or fired all the time. What you really mean to say is that the small percentage of cops in a small percentage of the cases / incidents the media gives us aren't punished and the system fails us.

Because getting put on leave or fired for murdering someone is totally punishment that fits the crime.

• Upvote 1

it happens, but it takes way too fucking long

Don't disagree in most cases. There's a whole lot of red tape to cross, even if the reason is 110% justified. City codes and ordinances keep cops on, the unions keep cops on. And then when they do get fired, arbitrators can often get the cops reinstated, depending on the reason they were terminated to begin with.

Which means the system needs to change, and taking your ire out on the cops effectively doesn't do anything. The people and the processes that should be getting the attention really aren't -- spare a few articles here or there that get overlooked.

If the problem really isn't "bad cops" like Blots says, people should stop hating all cops... stop making the cops themselves in the spotlight. Because it isn't doing anything. All cops are taking the heat while the people who can change how this works are sitting back no worried in the slightest.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

When is the last time you heard about this stuff with a State cop? State cops have to get a degree. It's clear these guys need more training. Their first recourse in a lot of this videos is firing a gun when the have a baton, a taser and pepper spray and they also have training to take somebody down physically. If these cops knew wtf they were doing we might be ok. I also think it makes a ton of sense that before you give somebody a gun and trust them to enforce the law that they should have to undergo some pretty rigorous mental health evaluations. I'd be all for paying them way better if we were able to accomplish this stuff.

I don't think so. I mean it is an opinion as anyone's, but I don't care.

I have to agree with Ngata here. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with police brutality, but it doesn't mean there's an issue just because a cop admits it. It's like doctors with Obamacare. Some would pull the doctor card in defending or trashing it, and it didn't matter either way. I think the fact that cops recognize it happening is significant, but just because a cop says something doesn't make it true. Cops, doctors, etc are still all impacted by their political views.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/918431668658212865

Seems interesting given the lively discussion we had a few months ago.

So I didn't know this about Louisiana's police/prison system. This is beyond depressing (one of them twitter threads).

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/865602050209357825

I heard it was bad, but didn't want to watch the video. Its that bad?