Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Joey Bosa saga rages on

Recommended Posts

PR war is full on now. Looks like he could really possibly skip the year and go back into the draft/Chargers might trade him:

 

 

The San Diego Chargers issued the following statement regarding the contract negotiations with 2016 first-round selection Joey Bosa:

 

Our contract discussions and offers to the representatives of Joey Bosa have been both fair and structurally consistent with the contracts of every other Chargers player.

 

Our offer included:

 

1. An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts.

 

2. More money in this calendar year than every player in this year’s draft except one (QB Carson Wentz<).

 

3. The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers’ first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011).

 

We gave Joey’s representatives our best offer last night, which was rejected today. The offer that we extended was for Joey to contribute during all 16 games and beyond. Joey’s ability to contribute for an entire rookie season has now been jeopardized by the valuable time he has missed with his coaches and his teammates. Since Joey will not report at this time, his ability to produce not just early in the season, but throughout the entire season, has been negatively impacted.

 

As a result, we will restructure our offer since Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16 game season without the adequate time on the practice field, in the classroom, and in preseason games.

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/chargers-statement-on-joey-bosa/

 

More

 

 

In a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon regarding unsigned defensive end Joey Bosa, the Chargers said that they will restructure (i.e., reduce) the financial package that previously had been on the table for the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

 

The Chargers contend that an effort was made to resolve the impasse on Tuesday night.

 

“We gave Joey’s representatives our best offer last night, which was rejected today,” the team said. “The offer that we extended was for Joey to contribute during all 16 games and beyond. Joey’s ability to contribute for an entire rookie season has now been jeopardized by the valuable time he has missed with his coaches and his teammates. Since Joey will not report at this time, his ability to produce not just early in the season, but throughout the entire season, has been negatively impacted.”

 

The rest of the statement presents the team’s characterization of its offer, which undoubtedly conflicts with Bosa’s interpretation of it. The overriding problem continues to be that the Chargers does not want to deviate from what it regards as team precedent, and Bosa does not want to deviate from what he regards as precedent for the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

 

The two primary sticking points had related to whether the guaranteed money will include offset language, and whether a large piece of the signing bonus will be deferred until March 2017. (There’s also a disagreement on the language and amount of training-camp roster bonuses, which are now common in top-10 rookie deals including offset language.) However, there never had been a dispute over the total dollars.

 

Based on the team’s statement, there now is. Which will make it even harder to get a deal done.

 

:ugh:

 

San Diego sperts and Molly addicted richkid douchebros strike again

Edited by CampinWithGordonRamsay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope he doesn't get at all, this is going to set precedent for every talented player to come out of the draft and say "I'm not going to play for the San Diego Cheapskates"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, at first it seems like I was more in favor with Bosa.. But the longer this goes on, the less reason I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. If the first quotable is correct, and the Chargers offered him all of that, I don't think he should be holding out any more. Offset language be damned...

I mean, the offer seems fair, and if he does hold out and go back into the draft.. Is he really going to be drafted that high again? Unlikely... And then he won't be making anywhere close to this kind of money.

It's time to sign.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers' front office has shown time and time again to be really bad at this manager stuff. Spanos has a massive ego, and the Chargers really don't have much to lose here except maybe temporarily some money and their pride.

 

I'm not picking sides, but I understand why Bosa is holding ou. Do what you gotta do.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's time to trade him.

 

The negotiations have hurt their mutual respect so much I doubt Bosa ever settles for being a Charger.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's too late to trade him, the deadline to trade draft picks passes like the first week of August (I think). It would be crazy if he ended up going a whole year without playing football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah propped Cherry's trade suggestion before Dmac reminded us the deadline has passed on August 9th...

 

CAA responded to the Chargers just recently here:

 

 

It is unfortunate the San Diego Chargers have decided to manipulate facts and negotiate in the media. The team surely is not strengthening its relationship with Joey Bosa by taking this stance and making their position public.

 

We have decided that we will not engage in public negotiations or discuss numbers and/or terms in this negotiation.

 

We will say, that it is ironic that the team now takes issue with the timing of Joey’s arrival, since the Chargers unilaterally decided to remain silent for the first 14 days of training camp instead of replying in a timely fashion to the proposal we made on the eve of training camp on July 28th.

 

At this point, all we can do is continue to fight for a fair contract on behalf of our client, as we do for all of our clients. The Chargers can focus on trying to sway public opinion, but our focus will remain on our client and securing a contract for him that is fair and consistent with his draft position.

 

Disaster. Whew. Probably going to sit out the whole year now, what a time to be alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the Chargers are notorious for being cheap, and from what I've read that's part of why Eli refused to play for them in 2004. Their comparisons to their prior rookie deals ring very hollow because they haven't drafted higher than 11th since that 2004 draft. Of course a #3 overall pick is going to get more money and more of that money guaranteed than a #15, 25, 11, or 18 pick (which is where they've drafted since the new CBA).

 

There's not much space under the new CBA for negotiation in rookie deals and from what I've seen, the Chargers want two things: 1) offset language and 2) a split signing bonus. The offset language only comes into play if Bosa is cut prior to the end of this contract and would reduce how much SD is on the hook for after his release based on what he signs for elsewhere. The split signing bonus means exactly what it sounds like, he'd get some of the signing bonus now and the rest next March, I'm thinking it's still guaranteed and this is really just a timing issue. Bottom line is these are both stupid things to be at an impasse over, but they're the only spots for negotiation at this point. I've also read that no #3 pick since the new CBA has had both terms in their contract.

 

DMac is right, the Chargers can't trade him at this point, that deadline has come and gone. His only option at this point is to hold out for the season and re-enter the draft. FWIW, the Chargers would need to sign him prior to week 10, not sure we'll get far enough for that to matter. Then the question becomes where would he end up next season? There's no real precedence, the last rookie to hold out and re-enter the draft was 25 years ago, it's all about how teams view the circumstances of this holdout and whether they think they're going to be able to avoid the holdout.

 

In short: I'm with Bosa on this one. I hope he holds out, gets drafted top five next season, and signs a deal without the offset language or the split signing bonus just to make the Chargers look as shitty as possible.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is "Zero" Chance Joey Bosa Goes Top 5 pick next season..

 

The DL class is good next year with Garrett from Am being the best in the Class..

 

Joey complaining about offset launages he will be losing Millions if he redeclare next year, hell might not even be a 1st round way he is acting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spanos' are most likely being shitters because that's what they are. Their stadium dealings have shown that.

 

That being said, Bosa is getting to the point where he is straight up losing money no matter what (the entire point of him holding out basically).

 

Sucks that this is my team, but I don't particularly like the Spanos' or Bosa so this is pretty much a :popcorn: situation for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the Chargers are notorious for being cheap, and from what I've read that's part of why Eli refused to play for them in 2004. Their comparisons to their prior rookie deals ring very hollow because they haven't drafted higher than 11th since that 2004 draft. Of course a #3 overall pick is going to get more money and more of that money guaranteed than a #15, 25, 11, or 18 pick (which is where they've drafted since the new CBA).

 

There's not much space under the new CBA for negotiation in rookie deals and from what I've seen, the Chargers want two things: 1) offset language and 2) a split signing bonus. The offset language only comes into play if Bosa is cut prior to the end of this contract and would reduce how much SD is on the hook for after his release based on what he signs for elsewhere. The split signing bonus means exactly what it sounds like, he'd get some of the signing bonus now and the rest next March, I'm thinking it's still guaranteed and this is really just a timing issue. Bottom line is these are both stupid things to be at an impasse over, but they're the only spots for negotiation at this point. I've also read that no #3 pick since the new CBA has had both terms in their contract.

 

DMac is right, the Chargers can't trade him at this point, that deadline has come and gone. His only option at this point is to hold out for the season and re-enter the draft. FWIW, the Chargers would need to sign him prior to week 10, not sure we'll get far enough for that to matter. Then the question becomes where would he end up next season? There's no real precedence, the last rookie to hold out and re-enter the draft was 25 years ago, it's all about how teams view the circumstances of this holdout and whether they think they're going to be able to avoid the holdout.

 

In short: I'm with Bosa on this one. I hope he holds out, gets drafted top five next season, and signs a deal without the offset language or the split signing bonus just to make the Chargers look as shitty as possible.

 

Obviously there is a good chance I could be wrong, but if he is out of football for a year, I don't think there is any chance in hell he comes close to the same draft position. Not only would he not be playing for a year, is without coaching and training for a year (I am sure he would hire somebody, but being with the team and their professional conditioning staff is probably more valuable as you learn a playbook, etc). Hell, I think the Chargers drafted him higher than he should have gone too.

 

I don't know the exact details of the rookie pay scale and how much it will jump next year, if any... But according to this article from Forbes -- that money drops and drops FAST for each pick down you go. He would have to be Top 5 to get even remotely the same kind of money.Even being taken 10 picks later drops his total contract value in HALF. He loses ~ 12.5 M dollars if he doesn't go in the top 13. If he drops 20 spots, he's losing over $15M.

 

I know the Chargers are cheap, I know they have a history of being assholes (as does Bosa, btw)... And even though wasting the #3 pick would suck a lot... Bosa has a lot more to lose here, in my opinion. He loses a year of wages and is likely making tens of millions of dollars less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bosa gonna drop outta the first day maybe even 2nd if he misses an entire year, couple that with the fact he and his family are pricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck this kid. I hope he busts harder than JRussell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to B/R two NFC GMs they think Bosa is already out for year and probably won't be a Charger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joey Bosa is slowly realizing without his teammates and apparently his mom while at OSU, he wouldn't of been shit. Now the burden and pressure of being a top 5 pick on a shit team is weighing heavy on him...and he's about to bust.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally cool with what Bosa is doing but I'm not about to feel bad for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bosa's just mad because he doesn't want to take a pay-cut from what he was making at Ohio State. :smug:

 

 

Zinger of the year so far. :clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting standoff because if the Chargers don't bite they lose out on their #3 pick but set a league precedent that team > players.

 

If Bosa gets what he wants teams are much more at mercy to players. It comes down to if Bosa is willing to drop from #3 to wherever he may fall and take a pay cut for the sake of proving a point and winning one for the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting standoff because if the Chargers don't bite they lose out on their #3 pick but set a league precedent that team > players.

 

If Bosa gets what he wants teams are much more at mercy to players. It comes down to if Bosa is willing to drop from #3 to wherever he may fall and take a pay cut for the sake of proving a point and winning one for the players.

 

I bet taking a standing and "winning one for the players" is the last thing on Bosa's mind. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I bet taking a standing and "winning one for the players" is the last thing on Bosa's mind. Lol

I don't mean for other players by taking an L himself, but by standing up for himself it helps others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Bosa hasn’t signed because of offset language and the timing of his signing bonus, and the Chargers turned it into a public battle this week by making details of negotiations public. Everyone seemed to take a side.

Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman wrote that he talked to unnamed NFL general managers and there was “unanimity” that the Chargers were to blame.

“I cannot stress this enough. Every team I speak to thinks the Chargers are ruining Bosa. They are laughing at the Chargers,” Freeman wrote.

Freeman cites three unnamed general managers, and you have to assume there are others around the league who would not side with the player holding out over what seems like a relatively minor contractual detail. But it’s clear at least some teams don’t understand why the Chargers are taking this stance.

The Chargers made a point to say Bosa would get 85 percent of his signing bonus in this calendar year, via the San Diego Union-Tribune. Bosa’s agents didn’t want to negotiate in public so we’re stuck with the Chargers’ side of that story.

But the problem, which Freeman wrote about, is Bosa’s rookie season is pretty much a waste at this point. Unless he’s a transcendent player, you have to figure he will be nothing more than a role player as a rookie — and that assumes he signs relatively soon, which is no guarantee.

Here’s roughly what this comes down to, if you believe the Chargers. They have offered to pay Bosa 85 percent of his signing bonus this year, according to the Union-Tribune. His signing bonus is about $17 million. The Union-Tribune reported that Bosa’s side came down from their demand of 100 percent being paid out this year (which is the typical concession when there’s no offset language included), but not enough for the Chargers to agree. So let’s guess when Bosa’s agents came down off 100 percent, they asked for 95 percent to be paid out this year. That would be a 10 percent difference: $1.7 million.

So the third pick of the draft is not with his team because both sides refuse to budge over when, not if, $1.7 million is paid to Bosa.

That’s crazy.

Although both parties have more than their share of blame over the situation, the Chargers have more to lose. For anyone who says that Bosa is giving up a year of earning ability, there’s no logical reason why sitting out this season would cut a year off his career expectancy. If Bosa re-enters the draft — granted, I still think it’s a long shot he’ll sit all season — he’ll still be a high pick. Maybe his 2017 rookie deal will be worth less because he won’t go third overall again (hence, why he’s screwing this up too), but he’d still be a high pick and get paid well. The Chargers, if they don’t sign Bosa, lose the third pick of the draft and get nothing in return. All over setting a precedent over the timing of probably about $1.7 million in bonus money.

Perhaps this fiasco comes to an end soon. But you have to wonder what kind of damage has already been done, for both sides.

 

For all you pro-Chargers guys. :shrug:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can they guarantee that he will be a "high pick".. And what is defined as a high pick? I'd say Top 15 is still a high pick and as I mentioned earlier, even if he goes at 15, he's losing half the money he could have gotten. I hope those unnamed GM sources are ready to take Bosa at #3 next year. lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Chatbox

    Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
×