Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

The Modern Day School System

I think this probably belongs here and its a discussion we haven't had on here yet.

I'll let this video get the ball rolling if anyone else wants to talk about it.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

This is a large part of why I'm against federally mandated or even state mandated practices in schools. It's impossible to expect every student across the US to perform at the exact same level regardless of wealth or location. A student in the backwoods of Montana isn't going to understand the same stuff as a student in suburban New York. A student in the ghetto isn't going to be able to take standardized tests like a rich kid. Each school should do what accommodates the education of their own students. We should also encourage our youth to follow their goals regardless of what society expects. I can't even begin to count how many times I heard teachers telling my fellow classmates in lower level classes that they should transfer to a technical school or do something under an apprenticeship. Engineering. Plumbing. Electric. Manual labor jobs that would be awful for someone who doesn't enjoy them. Sure there are some people who are less intelligent and wouldn't be able to do something that takes in a high income, but they should never be encouraged into settling for less. Anything that you want to do is attainable if you have the drive and the passion.

Edited by 7-9
  • Upvote 1

Modern day schooling does very little to prepare you for the real world. Schools shouldn't be judged on test scores and graduation rates. Your making it so schools pass kids that shouldn't. It's turning into whatever looks good on paper.

Edited by Wentz World

The question always comes up: what would we fill the void with that is left by standardized testing if we did away with it?

The answer is simple: whatever the kids want. Let them be agents in their own education. Make high school more like college. Let kids pick their own classes outside of the basics. Schools always say kids need to learn to act like adults, yea? So let's treat them like adults and let them choose what they want to learn about. And how about we let them think more about what they read instead of letting everything be passed on as fact?

Kids are really smart. They would enjoy school a lot more if it made sense to them and made them feel like they had some power over their own education. Instead of being fed answers, they are more than capable of thinking of answers on their own. This is possible in almost every class. Maybe math will always need the same basic format of a classroom structure (but Steven pls correct me if you see how this can be false). But other classes could benefit greatly from a more discussion-based curriculum.

You can still focus on specific topics. For example, instead of making kids memorize arbitrary historical dates (such as what year the Civil War started), have them talk about the factors that led up to the war, the details of the battles, the immediate consequences of the war and the Reconstruction period. Also talk about what was going on culturally in the US at this time. How did the war affect the types of literature that was being written? This might sound like some really intricate, high level thinking for young kids... but it would be a lot easier once they got used to it.

Education means a lot of things to a lot of people. But it all starts with opening minds and keeping them open. Our current education system fails on both accounts.

• Upvote 2

school was invented to dumb you down and teach you to obey.

nothing you learn is of use to an open,creative mind.

school_vs_prison.jpg

2Deep4Me

Part of my job when I'm not slaving away in architecture school is out reaching to kids and speaking to their parents (ones who didn't go to college) about getting their kids to college.

I always ask their parents if they ever thought about going to college and they always say "no, I'm way too stupid to go to college"... I always think to myself, "oh boy, if they ever sat foot on a campus for an extended period, their opinion would change pretty fast".

The standardised test stuff and the grading system is all kinds of fucked up, and makes people think they are inadequate simply because they suck at math. It's really depressing to think about, actually.

If I wasn't on my phone right now id do a long post with opinions on how to improve it, but just thought I'd throw in my $.2...

• Upvote 1

I'm with Sarge on the customization route, in addition to letting students do what they want you also would have teachers teaching more of what they want, which is what makes classes interesting. Standardized testing is terrible because it handcuffs teachers to teaching specific things and it builds a mindset in students that they're just learning so that they can pass a test. It's particularly terrible for history because it forces a focus on the who, what, when, and where that are easy to structure multiple choice questions around, but loses the most important and interesting part, the why. I'd also like to see more of an emphasis on learning trades for a few reasons, first I don't think everyone needs college, and second it would help students learn the practical applications of the math they're forced to learn (which gets back to my point about learning only for the sake of tests).

• Upvote 1

I'm with Sarge on the customization route, in addition to letting students do what they want you also would have teachers teaching more of what they want, which is what makes classes interesting. Standardized testing is terrible because it handcuffs teachers to teaching specific things and it builds a mindset in students that they're just learning so that they can pass a test. It's particularly terrible for history because it forces a focus on the who, what, when, and where that are easy to structure multiple choice questions around, but loses the most important and interesting part, the why. I'd also like to see more of an emphasis on learning trades for a few reasons, first I don't think everyone needs college, and second it would help students learn the practical applications of the math they're forced to learn (which gets back to my point about learning only for the sake of tests).

I fully support the learning of trade jobs. Like you said not everyone needs college. Even if you don't end up with a job in the field. You learn a valuable trade for every day life.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response SteVo, I haven't been in a high school classroom since I was in high school, so it's great to hear from someone who has on this topic. I will say while I can't speak for everyone when I talk about standardized tests I'm not talking about AP Exams, those actually do a pretty good job of promoting critical thinking, I'm talking about exams that everyone is required to take. I don't know Florida schools so I don't know what the comparable thing is there, but Virginia has Standards of Learning (appropriately acronymed SOLs) that were hundreds of multiple choice questions and designed so that even the dumbest students can theoretically pass, they were really a waste of time for the more advanced students.

Edited by oochymp

This is exactly the kind of stuff we should be talking about, instead of the 1001 ways to make the other person look like a bigger piece of shit aka the 2016 election.

• Upvote 1

What's your opinion on students using different ways from the norm to solve math problems, Stevo? For instance I could never do long division when I was younger in a method that was taught, so I simply multiplied the numerator to fit the denominator. I got scolded to hell and back through my time in school for using methods like that even though they worked.

Steven knows math. He has the best math.

Ohio has the Ohio Graduation test or did. When I was in HS you had from 10th grade on to pass or you didn't graduate.

This is a large part of why I'm against federally mandated or even state mandated practices in schools. This speaks to a larger issue that I addressed in my last post. The lawmakers at the federal and state level have no education experience, but they make all the big decisions. This is exactly as problematic as it sounds.

It's impossible to expect every student across the US to perform at the exact same level regardless of wealth or location. A student in the backwoods of Montana isn't going to understand the same stuff as a student in suburban New York. A student in the ghetto isn't going to be able to take standardized tests like a rich kid. Each school should do what accommodates the education of their own students. In theory, this sounds perfect, but the problem with it is the lack of accountability. How can colleges validate the accomplishments behind a high school diploma without normalized data? And I'm seriously asking here, not defending the system. I hate standardized testing as much as anyone.

We should also encourage our youth to follow their goals regardless of what society expects. I can't even begin to count how many times I heard teachers telling my fellow classmates in lower level classes that they should transfer to a technical school or do something under an apprenticeship. Engineering. Plumbing. Electric. Manual labor jobs that would be awful for someone who doesn't enjoy them. Sure there are some people who are less intelligent and wouldn't be able to do something that takes in a high income, but they should never be encouraged into settling for less. Anything that you want to do is attainable if you have the drive and the passion. I agree with this to a certain extent, but not wholeheartedly. I met a lot of people in college who embraced this idea. They all wanted to become actors, screenwriters, directors, etc. They believed so deeply that all they had to do was work hard and their pursuit would eventually be rewarded. Sorry, but it's just not true. Should we be empowering students to pursue any career they want? Yes. But the notion that anything you want is attainable through hard work is, frankly, a dangerous one. You sound like a fantasy-minded liberal, Cherry!

Cherry, I wanted to respond to your comments individually, so I inserted my thoughts in blue.

Modern day schooling does very little to prepare you for the real world. Schools shouldn't be judged on test scores and graduation rates. Your making it so schools pass kids that shouldn't. It's turning into whatever looks good on paper.

See my response to PhilElliot's post on real-world preparation in school.

Legitimately asking for ideas: if not test scores and graduation rates, what should schools be judged on? Because you're absolutely right: it becomes all about the bottom line. There's an unofficial policy at my school (and I assume at many other high schools) that teachers are not allowed to fail seniors. I've given seniors F's before, but only if they didn't need another math credit. I have multiple seniors this year who, quite frankly, do not deserve to pass my class. But they need another math credit. Am I going to fail them and prevent them from graduating? Absolutely not. I won't go into further detail, but that would get me in hot water with administration rather quickly.

Your "good on paper" point is spot on. To be fair, though, schools don't really have a choice. Their funding is based on how well they meet various criterion, so why wouldn't they do everything they can to maximize funding? One personal example: in Florida, school grades are based on a complicated formula, but one factor is "participation in AP classes" (the percentage of student population enrolled in AP classes). So, they shove any kid with half a pulse into AP Calculus. One of the biggest struggles for me in teaching that class is remediating students who don't have the proper algebra foundation and shouldn't be in the class in the first place. All of this leads to, as you said, kids passing who shouldn't. It's gotten to the point where a high school diploma is essentially meaningless because anyone can get one.

Wow, that was a lot packed into a short comment. Well done, Wentz.

The education system is an outdated farce based on the old factory model. The only thing it does is teach kids how to swallow someone else's bullshit. It doesn't prepare kids in the slightest for higher education, rarely offers vocational opportunities or teach kids how to learn. It completely sucks the joy and discovering out of learning new things and understanding different viewpoints, which is complete bullshit.

I disagree that it doesn't prepare students for higher education. Actually, the upper level students at my school take a curriculum that is probably just as rigorous as what they will experience in college, when you factor in everything they do outside of class (college applications, extracurricular activities, etc.).

I agree that the system, on its face, is designed for boring, joyless learning. But believe me, teachers are fighting the good fight. And we have to, because you can only bore a class of 30-40 teenagers for so long before they start to turn on you.

The question always comes up: what would we fill the void with that is left by standardized testing if we did away with it?

The answer is simple: whatever the kids want. Let them be agents in their own education. Make high school more like college. Let kids pick their own classes outside of the basics. Schools always say kids need to learn to act like adults, yea? So let's treat them like adults and let them choose what they want to learn about. And how about we let them think more about what they read instead of letting everything be passed on as fact?

I love that idea except for what I said in response to Cherry about accountability. I'll stick to math for this explanation, since that's my wheelhouse.

If you want to pursue a math/science major in college, you're going to take calculus. If you want something else, you're still going to take college algebra. That's not changing no matter what the public school system does.

So, we have to work backwards. Configure the system however you want, but high school graduates need to leave high school with enough mathematical knowledge to succeed on whichever track they choose.

I agree with everything you said about standardized testing, so I'll just throw this out there, and it's something I've mentioned before: standardized testing itself could be a lot better, but the people who design the tests and write the questions are not educators, and they're probably not competent people in their field.

(To be clear, I'm talking about state-level standardized tests, not AP tests, which are made by College Board. You mentioned the difference in your next post, oochymp, so I wanted to point that out.)

Just to provide another clue as to how this all shakes down, here's a tale about textbooks. Without a doubt, the worst textbook available these days for AP Calculus is the one by Ron Larson. Stewart and Rogawski blow that guy away--more logical flow of material, higher quality problems, etc. So, which textbook is mandated for AP Calculus in Broward County? Larson, of course. Why? Because lobbyists associated with the publisher have lined the pockets of state lawmakers.

I suspect I'm rambling, so I guess what I'm getting at is letting teachers design the tests could lead to the courses themselves becoming more interesting. Teachers could craft the "tests" to involve more activity-based learning while being more customizable. In fact, teachers could do this during the summer and get paid for it! That would help cut down on the "Fuck teachers, they have summers off" sentiment that gets in the way of progress so often.

What's your opinion on students using different ways from the norm to solve math problems, Stevo? For instance I could never do long division when I was younger in a method that was taught, so I simply multiplied the numerator to fit the denominator. I got scolded to hell and back through my time in school for using methods like that even though they worked.

I'm totally ok with students using alternative methods as long as they get the right answer, and as long as their method will work for all problems of that type.

• Upvote 2

Rick Sanchez said it best. School isn't a place for smart people.

Just to provide another clue as to how this all shakes down, here's a tale about textbooks. Without a doubt, the worst textbook available these days for AP Calculus is the one by Ron Larson. Stewart and Rogawski blow that guy away--more logical flow of material, higher quality problems, etc. So, which textbook is mandated for AP Calculus in Broward County? Larson, of course. Why? Because lobbyists associated with the publisher have lined the pockets of state lawmakers.

oh, do we want to open the textbooks can of worms? talk about a racket

2Deep4Me

That's what your mom said last night ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Upvote 2

So you had sex with my mom, but you were bad at it? Congrats...

• Downvote 1

you simply werent following orders. You were thinking for yourself. Thats a no-no in education.

the point of education is to make you subservient and dumb you down.

teachers dont teach shit..if you ask a question thats outside the lesson plan,they dont know what to say and you are bad for wasting time for the class

That's quite a generalization.

This doesn't happen in my class. I can't speak for Steven 100%, but I would venture a guess that it doesn't happen in his, either. Of course we are two totally different teachers in two different countries teaching two totally different subjects. I teach at an expensive, private language academy, while Steven teaches at a well-respected public school. Steven teaches math, and I teach English as a second language.

My field is such that questions outside the lesson plan are not only allowed but encouraged and expected.

I'd agree that in most public schools and with most teachers you are simply passed over for the sake of time in the lesson plan. College has been great for being able to ask questions and legitimately learn though.

• Upvote 1

only if it fits their agenda. You cant actually have a real differing opinion in college.

you are still learning what they tell you to learn.

repeating back what you read isnt really learning anything. Its just memorization.

the video in the science thread is a bunch of kids who were taught to be that stupid

Societal norms, sure. Colleges lean liberal. But I've definitely had an opportunity to voice my opinion as an avid fan of the free market and diehard conservative. Also, in classes like history I've been able to ask questions that were interesting to me that aren't typically part of the curriculum. I don't have to recite back BS like I'm in high school.

yes,of course its a generalization and a true one.

I've been through the system and so have all my friends. School in general does not encourage critical or independent thought that makes any sense. If you dont get good grades learning their stuff you are then branded as stupid or a failure. The fact is theres a reason no one likes going to a building every day being made to sit down and memorize crap that doesnt help you in any walk of life. Its actually incredibly normal to reject that but they have made school a legality that you must attend.

they call them learning institutions for a reason.

So because, what, a hundred people say so, this means something? You and your friends having a shared experience does not mean something when you apply it to an issue that affects everyone. It's completely inadmissible as evidence towards anything.