Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

2017 Coaching Carousel

Well they tried the years upon years of experience thing and failed with Feff, clearly they need to go in the exact opposite direction.

I find the Vance Joseph hiring for Denver questionable not just because of the Dolphins' defense not being anything special but because the dude was in his first year as a coordinator, I'm not sure he's really ready for the job but he has a defense to work with there.

Rams are trying to find the next big thing after failing on the re-tread angle with Jeff Fisher.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773571/article/chargers-will-hire-anthony-lynn-as-head-coach?campaign=fb-nf-sf50668659-sf50668659

Chargers will hire Anthony Lynn as head coach

Both Los Angeles football teams now have their head coach.

The Chargers will hire former Bills interim coach and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn, a source informed told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 1

Nobody has posted on here yet about it, but Wade Phillips was announced as the new DC for the Rams under McVay. He runs a 3-4 compared to the Rams running a 4-3, and people were asking how that would work with the current personnel. This is my guess.

BpuSDcs.png

Basically, the back of the defense remains the same, but the front seven is altered slightly. Currently the Rams run a 4-3 with Donald and Brockers inside, and Hayes/Quinn on the outside. Barron moves around, but Ogletree essentially plays MLB.

I don't think this would change much except the exact positioning these guys are going to be used in & the potential to add more personnel to change up the blitzing.

Ogletree basically stays where he is in the center of the defense, and Barron continues to move around as a form of 4-3 OLB/SS wildcard (termed as WS on the current Rams depth chart). This is very similar to the 4-2-5, but it lacks the extra LB in the middle. Here's an example of a 4-2-5

425vsdoubles.png

Now the alignment is different here because of the formation it faces, but the idea is to replace one of the LBs with WS, and replace the WS with a CB. This essentially makes it a one LB with a safety who can be sent all around the formation. In this example, the SS could pick up the loose man underneath and the WS could either go into coverage or bring pressure with the front four. Really depends on what coverages you're running though. Could have zone and WS be responsible for underneath with ILB. Could do man and have the SS take over with the guy available underneath. Could have the WS take the guy available underneath and let the SS play deep.

Now the difference between what I drew up vs. what the 4-2-5 does with an extra CB is that the 3-4 alignment allows Phillips a lot of different options with his blitzing & assignments for his linemen. Quinn is playing off the edge and will most likely be used as a pass-rusher, but he has the talent to still get involved in the run game. I have faith in Quinn as a pure athlete to be able to transition to rushing from the outside from a 2 point stance, but it will depend.

Donald would take on a sort of 4-3 DT type role which would still allow him to get serious pressure as a pass-rusher, and he's talented enough to hold his own in the run game too. Brockers probably ends up in a similar role, but would be more restricted to focusing on the run game. Hayes would slide in as a sort of combo 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE. He's most likely used as a run defender in this system, but help from Barron would allow him to be used in a couple of ways. He could certainly rush the passer if there is no tight end there & Barron is with Ogletree over the middle.

Again, this is just an experiment on my part to see what kind of wacky 3-4 offspring Wade Phillips could create with the current roster while maximizing the talent on the field. Don't take this to heart at all because the team is going to change a lot by next season, assuming Phillips wants to bring in guys to run his style on defense. Let me know if you see any big holes in my line of thinking ;)

• Upvote 1

Still weird to me that Barron is a LB now.

We know Phillips prefers 3-4 but I don't think he'll force it year one. I'm sure he'll run some of the stuff cherry is talking about but with Robert Quinn on the team they should still go with the 4-3 for the most part. It's not like Phillips can't run it. He has very successfully for the past couple years unless maybe they'don't want to work out a deal with Buffalo or something and swap Hughes for Quinn idk.

Phillips runs a 1-gap defense which is essentially a 4-3 under with one of the rushers standing up. It's about as close to a 4-3 as a 3-4 defense can be. Brockers is probably the one guy hardest to project in it, but overall, the personal should be fine.

I do wonder about Donald's effectiveness though, as he's probably going to be playing the same role that Wolfe/Jackson played. He's incredible so he can be the exception to the rule, but historically, height matters at that position. I can't remember the last time I saw a 5tech under 6'2 play at a high level.

• Upvote 2

Phillips runs a 1-gap defense which is essentially a 4-3 under with one of the rushers standing up. It's about as close to a 4-3 as a 3-4 defense can be. Brockers is probably the one guy hardest to project in it, but overall, the personal should be fine.

I do wonder about Donald's effectiveness though, as he's probably going to be playing the same role that Wolfe/Jackson played. He's incredible so he can be the exception to the rule, but historically, height matters at that position. I can't remember the last time I saw a 5tech under 6'2 play at a high level.

5ecc196725ac487da08e7f2aa18c4264.png

He's 6'1.

The 49ers job is so unattractive. McDaniels is smart for taking his name off the list, and Kyle Shanahan should too IMO. They're both better off waiting for a more attractive job opening next year than joining that dysfunctional and talent-lacking franchise.

The 49ers job is such a wild card until we know who the GM is, and it sounds like they're looking to bring in a GM/HC team, which I think would make the job far more attractive. You know who you're coming in with, odds are it'll be someone you're familiar with, and you know they're going to give the two of you some time to put a team together.

The 49ers job is such a wild card until we know who the GM is, and it sounds like they're looking to bring in a GM/HC team, which I think would make the job far more attractive. You know who you're coming in with, odds are it'll be someone you're familiar with, and you know they're going to give the two of you some time to put a team together.

I was totally with you until the bolded part. 49ers recent track record would suggest otherwise, also with how so many people are bowing out from the job, the 49ers in a way are going to have to "settle" with somebody that very likely wasn't their first or second choice to begin with.

So if ownership "settles," they're not likely to be strongly committed to said GM/HC duo unless delivered fast results.

Fair enough, track record should be considered and we are talking about a team that's looking for a new HC for the third straight season, but I do have to wonder how much of that is listening too much to Baalke trying to save his job, and they've now given up on him. I do think a lot of the value, for lack of a better term, of the HC job hinges on the GM hire, but when you clean house you have to go in anticipating allowing the new GM/HC team some time to build the team the way they want to. The only hole in the logic is that it assumes we're not talking about a dysfunctional franchise, and that very well may not be a safe assumption, and it could be that the candidates who have withdrawn their names have found that dysfunction even in their interviews.

Edited by oochymp

finally remembered to plug Shanny in here, the carousel has officially stopped spinning (as of about a week ago)

How in the world did Marvin survive this year?

lmaoBengalsManagement

The Bengals would have been a top team this year if they fired Marvin and promoted either Zimmer or Hue Jackson.