Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Life Without Wentz: How the Eagles Must Adjust to the Loss of Their Quarterback

Look at Foles go!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How far can the Eagles go with Nick Foles at QB?

• Wild Card Round Loss
    • Divisional Round Loss
    • Conference Title Round Loss
    • Super Bowl Loss
    • Super Bowl Win

Nobody knows exactly when Carson Wentz's left ACL tore on Sunday afternoon. The hit that was tied to the injury seemed rough but there appeared to be no twisting of the knee. It has been speculated that this as a non-contact injury. We may never know what exactly happened.

In steps Nick Foles, once a playoff quarterback for the Eagles after a stellar season in place of oft-injured Michael Vick. If there was ever a prototypical backup quarterback in the NFL, it'd be Nick Foles. Decent arm, plenty of smarts, and above average mobility. You tack on a history that's more impressive than not, and you come to the conclusion that the Philadelphia Eagles still have a shot to do damage in the NFC playoffs.

Now comes the tough part for Doug Pederson and the rest of his coaching staff: necessary adjustments.

Offense

1. Limit deep drops. Foles can extend plays momentarily, but he will not dance away from defenders and showcase impressive breakaway speed for a quarterback if he decides to run. It's just not going to happen. Don't put him on a hook and dangle him out there like bait.

2. Shorten the RB depth chart. The Eagles have to ride the hot hand at running back now. There's no sprinkling in a touch of Ajayi here, a few plays for Clement or Blount there. Pick somebody to lean on, and the obvious choice is Ajayi for his ability to generate extra yardage after contact. Second, in my opinion, would be Blount. The Eagles offense can't recover as well from TFL's now. No more fancy plays. No more stretch running plays. Foles hands ball, running back hits hole. Period.

3. Avoid 3rd and long at all costs. Nick Foles will not bail the Eagles out of countless 3rd and long situations like Wentz did. Pederson must focus on positive yardage as opposed to big plays, moving forward.

Defense

1. Balancing recklessness. This Eagles defense has had the luxury of an offense that they know will drop 30 most weeks. That's just not the case anymore. It's time for Jim Schwartz to scheme a little more in-game. When facing an immobile QB, the Eagles should blitz more. Against a QB that can escape the pocket, the Eagles may want to drop into coverage more, now. Carson Wentz afforded Jim Schwartz the option of being relentlessly aggressive each and every week. That simply isn't the case anymore. Now aggression is needed as part of a balance--it can no longer be constant.

Special Teams

1. Field position is much more important now with Nick Foles at QB. The Eagles should choose to punt more as opposed to extremely long field goals. I'd trust Elliott up to 52-53 because he's proven himself at this point, but anything more and Doug Pederson needs to consider flipping the field and trying to get Nick Foles a short field to work with. Unless the kick is absolutely necessary, play the field position game.

It's going to be difficult for the Eagles to reach their potential, now, but if this coaching staff rises to the occasion, anything is possible.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I think Foles is good enough to get the Eagles a bye but I think the Birds are probably 1 and done. They're likely going to play a very good football team in the divisional round. I could see them maybe winning 1 though, idk. They still have probably the second or third best defense in the conference, good special teams and a running game.

I think Foles is good enough to get the Eagles a bye but I think the Birds are probably 1 and done. They're likely going to play a very good football team in the divisional round. I could see them maybe winning 1 though, idk. They still have probably the second or third best defense in the conference, good special teams and a running game.

This, 100%. I think we win at least 1 of the last 3 to retain the bye (maybe not home-field), but get bounced in the Divisional Round by whoever we play. The NFC simply has too many good teams.

Lol they weren't going to lose in the divisional round in Philly with Wentz

Seattle stomped em, Atlanta would stomp em, Carolina would give em a game, and if they fell to the second seed, I'm certain New Orleans could knock em out too.

My guess is the Eagles go 1-2 down the stretch, finish 12-4 and the second seed behind Minnesota, lose to whoever they play in the divisional. If Wentz didn't get them so far ahead, I'd say they lose in the wild card round.

Foles better. 27-2 TD to INT ratio under a worse coach. Napoleon Dynamite characteristics. He's basically a lock for winning SB.

• Upvote 2

Lol they weren't going to lose in the divisional round in Philly with Wentz

Better QBs and teams have lost in their first playoff game.

Foles better. 27-2 TD to INT ratio under a worse coach. Napoleon Dynamite characteristics. He's basically a lock for winning SB.

Somebody get this man a beer.

Somebody get this man a beer.

People forget Foles led league in passer rating during second year in league. And Peyton dropped 55 TDs and 5500 yards that year. :badass:

• Upvote 1

He's certainly not a bad quarterback. I fear the OL will let him down, though. Especially of Seomalu gets significant snaps. Dude sucks.

Cherry hit on something that I was thinking. Im not exactly expecting it, but what if Foles comes in and dominates?? What does that say about Wentz -- if anything ? Pederson?

Edited by Olenna4Ever

To me it depends on how he dominates.Is he going to play a Dak Prescott role in the offense or will he take over where Wentz left off. Either way I think it says a lot about Pederson.

People are forgetting the context of Nick Foles.

He played that well in 2013, since that year... he has shown no idicators that he is anybody's savior. In fact, see the season with Philly after that year. Proven dogshit.

He's not going to be Wentz, obviously, but he can do a lot of things. He can't make all the ridiculous throws, escape the pressure, etc. He won't step in and dominate with that offensive line. I think he can be good, but he's not going to toy with defenses

Edited by BwareDWare94

Some of you are overrating Foles, I think. In Vegas the Eagles still have the 4th best odds to win the Super Bowl. That's way off. Eagles will be the 6th best playoff team in the NFC.

Ahh the back up qb people and their strange love affairs.

Some of you are overrating Foles, I think. In Vegas the Eagles still have the 4th best odds to win the Super Bowl. That's way off. Eagles will be the 6th best playoff team in the NFC.

That remains to be seen. The Rams are the only team that scored 30 on the Eagles all season. They have fresh defensive linemen because of the way they rotate. They have secondary depth and they have 3 good running backs that they can also keep fresh. They might also be able to have the Luxury of playing at home. It's a long shot, don't get me wrong but I can't stick a fork in them yet. I know we've seen QB's get hot in the playoffs but we have seen it with defenses too.

Obviously they'd go into every game the underdog and rightly so but if they end up getting say, Atlanta at home in the divisional round I think they could absolutely win that game. A dome team that is more of a finesse team coming to Philly. If they ruahed for like a buck 50 on them and didn't turn the ball over that's a winnable game.

Take Minnesota for example. We haven't seen Keenum play in the post season. If the Eagles defense can make the QB match up a push that's a game that could turn on a special teams play or a defensive score and I think the Eagles could win that.

Take Carolina for instance. They don't have much offensively outside of Cam. Boarder line great defense but in a low scoring game crazy things can happen. I think Carolina would be tougher to beat than Atlanta or Minny honestly but it's possible.

The three team that I don't see the Eagles beating is Seattle Nawlins and LA, especially with what Gurley just did to them and Wilson is just incredible.

Obviously now they have to worry about the Packers too and if Mike Daniels is a go they can stop the run so I don't like their chances of beating Rodgers either but the Eagles are still very much a threat.

What if they got the Jags in a Super Bowl match up if they made it? I wouldn't want to face that defense but Bortles? I think you have something there. Lol