Aussie Falcons Fan

What are you reading???

I've started reading "The Trial" by Franz Kafka for my class. This year is all about reading the 20th century classics.

just started The Andromeda Strain, every time I tell people I enjoy Crichton's books they ask if I've read this one, I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint, but none of the books I've read have

The Daylight War By Peter V. Brett. This is book three in "The Demon Cycle" series. I discovered the first book The Warded Man by complete accident a few years back and have been captivated ever since. I waited almost 2 YEARS for this one to come out and I am loving it so far.

9780029187906.jpg

All of our political debates got me asking an important question. What do I really know ? I thought I had a firm grasp to an extent I would say was halfway accurate. This book however, is giving insight to things I did not know, to be specific the viewpoints that shaped it and the original intent of some of the things we abide by. It started slow but it is picking up quickly. This coupled with other books I have sitting next to my hammock should make me more well rounded.

I keep forgetting about this thread, Andromeda Strain was pretty good, I didn't like it as much as other Crichton books I've read but still a good read

I'm about halfway through another Scott Turow book, Reversible Errors which has been very good so far, from the books I've read Turow does a great job of keeping you guessing the whole way through but leaving you with an "I should have seen that coming" feeling at the end

Recently finished The Racketeer by Grisham. Not one of his best books but a pretty entertaining story that keeps you guessing about exactly what's going on.

Edited by SteVo

The Postcard Killers. by James Patterson. The speed with which he publishes novels, I may never finish my quest to read every one of his books...until he dies, at least.

Guest Phailadelphia

I just got home from the bookstore. This is what I bought and what I'll be reading this summer.

booksti.jpg

I just got home from the bookstore. This is what I bought and what I'll be reading this summer.

booksti.jpg

Lolita and Pride and Prejudice are pretty fantastic reads.

Started Lord of the Flies in school recently. I'm enjoying it thus far.

Guest Phailadelphia

Lolita and Pride and Prejudice are pretty fantastic reads.

So I've heard! They're recommended to me time and time again and I saw them on the "Classics" bookshelf at Hastings. Figured why not? Now seems like a good time to finally buy them.

After finishing The Trial (which was a great read,btw), I decided to start reading some novels by Mario Puzo. I started The Fortunate Pilgrim today.

currently reading Bill Bryson A Walk in the Woods

finished A Walk in the Woods and really enjoyed it, I'm going to have to look for some of Bryson's other books

I'm now reading Grisham's The Confession, which has been good so far

Finished 3 books in the past few weeks.

Snow by Orhan Pamuk was absolutely phenomenal and the insight into Islamic culture was fascinating.

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver was interesting but awful in reference to what it could have been. It could have been an interesting take on the mental state of a character who would eventually go on a killing spree but instead seemed like reading the early years of Michael Myers. The kid was evil. Great. A fucking horror novel.

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Incredibly boring for about 100 pages but eventually picked up and became a decent novel. She took a few turns that I felt ridiculous, but hey, that's Sebold for you. It was good, but it was no The Lovely Bones.

Just started Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. The second book had a really strong climax, and I'm finding that seems to be Erikson's strength, he does a solid job building up and then surprises you with the end game. Something I'm not a fan of is how many random ass races he has scattered all over the place and how hard it is to keep track of all of them. Jhags, JAghuts, Trells, T'lann Imass's, Tiste Andii's... I have no idea.

Best characters:

1. Quick Ben

2. Kalam Mekhar

3. Duiker. :(

4. Apsalar/Sorry

5. Rallick Nom (come back please.)

Worst Characters:

1. Kruppe. (Don't come back please.)

• Upvote 1

Just started Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. The second book had a really strong climax, and I'm finding that seems to be Erikson's strength, he does a solid job building up and then surprises you with the end game. Something I'm not a fan of is how many random ass races he has scattered all over the place and how hard it is to keep track of all of them. Jhags, JAghuts, Trells, T'lann Imass's, Tiste Andii's... I have no idea.

Best characters:

1. Quick Ben

2. Kalam Mekhar

3. Duiker. :(

4. Apsalar/Sorry

5. Rallick Nom (come back please.)

Worst Characters:

1. Kruppe. (Don't come back please.)

Book three is amazing, IMO. You should enjoy it. :yep: And it doesn't seem like it's going to be much longer until you've surpassed me. I'm only on book four as I kinda got distracted by other books (damn you, Lovecraft and your writing of a billion books)... Might be time to pick them back up.

We share hate for Kruppe. By far the worst character, and it's compounded by how much time the books spend on him.

About halfway through Gatsby. :yep:

How is that book so far? I've been considering reading it.

Guest Phailadelphia

How is that book so far? I've been considering reading it.

It's one of the greatest novels ever written. Don't consider reading it. You must read it.

• Upvote 1

It's really unfortunate that most people in our generation don't know how amazing The Great Gatsby is, but I think that has something to do with it being taught way too early. It's too complex for high school sophomores.

Edited by BwareDWare94

It makes me feel bad that I'm pretty much the only one on here that didn't like The Great Gatsby. =/

• Downvote 1

It makes me feel bad that I'm pretty much the only one on here that didn't like The Great Gatsby. =/

How old were you when you read it? Most people who read it when in high school revisit it and love it, even if they'd hated it before.

I wasn't a fan but It probably helps your hypothesis that I read it in high school. I just don't like the setting. I get that there are deeper meanings and themes to be explored, but when every character grates on your nerves, it's kind of hard to see it for what it's worth.