Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Historically speaking, which position for which teams, is associated with greatness

Nice thread. Let me give it some thought and get back to this later.

Packers have 3 HoF QBs (counting Favre, not Rodgers).. I guess some people don't go that far back but... We have been pretty stacked at QB most of us history.

And I believe we belong in the DB category...

Bob Jeter, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood, Darred Sharper, Charles Woodson...

EDIT: Good thread though. Definitely worthy of some good discussion. +1.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Quite a good list. Only Issue I would have with it is the lack of the Dome Patrol for Linebackers.

Quite a good list. Only Issue I would have with it is the lack of the Dome Patrol for Linebackers.

While I should agree with you about the dome patrol I think FSU Viking is refering to greatness other than a few years. He lists people from different era's in his reference to greatness.

So with that being said the dome patrol was just one era of greatness. Can you name any other great Saints linebackers that people other than fans of the team might know? Vilma might be recognized but most others wouldn't be.

Plus if we did have to put the dome patrol in that list then we would have to include the Giants of Taylor, Carson and Johnson etc.

I start with

Linebackers- Bears

Running Backs - Cowboys

I base my conclusions not on the amount of good players at the position, but on the prestige of of it. For instance, I think linebacker for the Chicago Bears is one of the most prestigious in the NFL, though they've had a number of great running backs. You think Bears and you don't think running game first (at least I don't). I think hard nose defense with historically wicked linebackers.

Same for the Cowboys, who are still searching for that mega star at running back to continue that running tradition.

I'll have to give the rest more thought

Before I answer the rest, why not add coaches to the mix as well?

I'd say....

1. Packers: Lombardi, Lambeau, Holmgren

2. Cowboys: Landry, Johnson, Switzer

3. Steelers: Noll, Cowher, Tomlin...lets face it, it's still early in his tenure, but he's going to be around for a very long time, and he's had a say in the drafts since he took over, which have been very good drafts. It's also kind of a default because I don't see a stronger 3rd team with coaches than the Steelers. Noll and Cowher alone make them a powerhouse. Then you add in what Tomlin has already done and has the potential to do, and here's where you get your ranking. :p

Titans could be an honorable mention at RB..Campbell, George and now Johnson is a solid trio. Only 1 HOFer out of the 3, but all were considered the #1 back in the league at some point in their career.

Titans could be an honorable mention at RB..Campbell, George and now Johnson is a solid trio. Only 1 HOFer out of the 3, but all were considered the #1 back in the league at some point in their career.

That's questionable.

The 49ers also had YA Tittle and John Brodie, excellent QB's in their time.

• Upvote 1

While I should agree with you about the dome patrol I think FSU Viking is refering to greatness other than a few years. He lists people from different era's in his reference to greatness.

So with that being said the dome patrol was just one era of greatness. Can you name any other great Saints linebackers that people other than fans of the team might know? Vilma might be recognized but most others wouldn't be.

Plus if we did have to put the dome patrol in that list then we would have to include the Giants of Taylor, Carson and Johnson etc.

Ya after I made that post I just thought about it.

Cool thread! It seems like once you get to the defense, it is more obvious to the teams who have a history of success at that position.

Broncos would definitely be linebacker, Orange Crush + Mecklenburg, Al Wilson, Bill Romo, and DJ Williams is building his reputation as well

Posted this at another site and got the same contribution....by a Titans fan. :wink:

The 49ers also had YA Tittle and John Brodie, excellent QB's in their time.

Didn't Tittle really make his mark with the Giants though?

Broncos would definitely be linebacker, Orange Crush + Mecklenburg, Al Wilson, Bill Romo, and DJ Williams is building his reputation as well

Honorable mention, for sure....but can't put 'em in the Top 3.

I'm just saying it's the best we got. Running back is alright too, but Terrell Davis is the only truly special back we had. Actually now that I think of it, our defensive backs are a pretty solid group. (Champ Bailey, Steve Atwater, Goose Gonsoulin, Dennis Smith and Louis Wright).

Tittle had some of his best years with the giants, but from 1952 through to 1960 he was a 49er, and he did make a championship game once with them.

Wondering what you think of Miami as an honorable mention for RB? Csonka, Morris, Kiick, Brown, and Williams were the ones that came to mind off the bat. I don't think anyone from the 80's stood out in particular.

I think the Steelers should be in the mix for DBs.

Wagner, Shell, Blount, Woodson, Lake, Polamalu

Yep. Can't fucking believe I left them out. :facepalm:

Wondering what you think of Miami as an honorable mention for RB? Csonka, Morris, Kiick, Brown, and Williams were the ones that came to mind off the bat. I don't think anyone from the 80's stood out in particular.

Will anybody remember Brown and Williams 5-7 years from now though? Miami definitely had probably the most talent at the position at any one time (other than maybe Marcus Allen & Bo Jackson) but throughout their history and the history of the NFL I wouldn't say Miami is recognized or associated with great RB richness.

• Upvote 1

I think I'd put the Skins ahead of the Titans on Oline if only for the Hogs, and before you point out that it's only one era, I'll point out that the two players you list for the Titans' oline greatness were both in the same era (Bruce lasted a lot longer, but they were came into the league one year apart)

Will anybody remember Brown and Williams 5-7 years from now though? Miami definitely had probably the most talent at the position at any one time (other than maybe Marcus Allen & Bo Jackson) but throughout their history and the history of the NFL I wouldn't say Miami is recognized or associated with great RB richness.

Fair enough. If they each hadn't had some kind of problem to deal with, maybe they could have been amazing. My only other suggestion would be Griese/Marino as mentions at QB. Those 2 alone spanned most of 3 decades and ended up in the Hall. Marino's lack of a ring hurts him, though, when put up against the other names you have there.

Fair enough. If they each hadn't had some kind of problem to deal with, maybe they could have been amazing. My only other suggestion would be Griese/Marino as mentions at QB. Those 2 alone spanned most of 3 decades and ended up in the Hall. Marino's lack of a ring hurts him, though, when put up against the other names you have there.

it's tough to talk about the Dolphins having a history of greatness at the QB position when they haven't even had a consistent starter since Marino, in the 11 years since Marino left the team has had 16 different QBs start a game, I know we're talking all time history here, but the recent history has to play in. To be fair, you could make a similar argument against San Fransisco, but if you throw YA Tittle on top of Montana and Young and the 49ers have a deep enough history at the QB position to forgive the failures of the last decade there

it's tough to talk about the Dolphins having a history of greatness at the QB position when they haven't even had a consistent starter since Marino, in the 11 years since Marino left the team has had 16 different QBs start a game, I know we're talking all time history here, but the recent history has to play in. To be fair, you could make a similar argument against San Fransisco, but if you throw YA Tittle on top of Montana and Young and the 49ers have a deep enough history at the QB position to forgive the failures of the last decade there

This sounds a little bit like a double standard, because even the Colts, Packers, and Cowboys had stretches where their QB was not what put their team on the map. Yes, Miami has struggled this decade to find a solid QB, but I hardly think that overshadows the fact that Marino and Griese were both career Dolphins, both appeared in Super Bowls, and both are in the HOF. The other consideration is the age of the franchise...Miami is younger than all the teams mentioned, ranked or honorable. In 45 seasons, 31 of them have seen Griese or Marino on the team...so pretty close to 70% of Miami's existence. I'm more than willing to accept they may not be top 3, mostly because of Marino's lack of a ring and the QB carousel since 2000. I'm simply saying they deserve to be in the discussion.

This sounds a little bit like a double standard, because even the Colts, Packers, and Cowboys had stretches where their QB was not what put their team on the map. Yes, Miami has struggled this decade to find a solid QB, but I hardly think that overshadows the fact that Marino and Griese were both career Dolphins, both appeared in Super Bowls, and both are in the HOF. The other consideration is the age of the franchise...Miami is younger than all the teams mentioned, ranked or honorable. In 45 seasons, 31 of them have seen Griese or Marino on the team...so pretty close to 70% of Miami's existence. I'm more than willing to accept they may not be top 3, mostly because of Marino's lack of a ring and the QB carousel since 2000. I'm simply saying they deserve to be in the discussion.

well put, a few points you made are things I hadn't thought about, particularly the age of the franchise, also the fact that both QBs played their whole careers with the Dolphins, that's pretty big when you consider that it's not something you can say about Favre, Montana, Young, or Unitas, and Unitas considered himself a Baltimore QB more than a Colts' QB. You're right, even if they're not top 3 (which I think you've actually made a decent case for) they certainly have a spot in the discussion.

• Upvote 1

The Eagles have had some great defensive linemen. White, Simmons, Brown, Cole, Douglas, Bill Hewitt, Charlie Johnson, but I mean come on. We had the best defensive lineman in the history of the game in his prime.