Sign in to follow this  
Shotgun

The Saints are a bunch of whiners.

Saints complain about absence of Josh Freeman from injury report

Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT

The Buccaneers updated their injury report to disclose that quarterback Josh Freeman fully participated in practice on Thursday with a thumb injury. The move didn't happen because of a mistake or oversight on the original version; per Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune, the update came after the Saints complained to the league office.

That's what coach Raheem Morris said after Freeman showed up on NFL Network with his thumb in a bandage, even though he wasn't on the Wednesday injury list.

"Ask the Saints, they reported it," Morris said. "You know, he might not be playing against the Saints, I don't know. I'll go Belichick on you guys."

Morris previously explained that Freeman suffered the injury against the Bears on October 23. "He sprained it in the Chicago game, came in and practiced during the bye week and didn't miss anything this week," Morris said. "I can make a big deal out of it if you want me to."

Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com reports that Freeman was added to Thursday's report after the Bucs received a call from the league office. Per Yasinskas, the league office also instructed the Bucs to put safety Tanard Jackson on the report, based on a policy that requires the player to be listed if he left the prior game with an injury — even when there is an intervening bye week.

The smack talk is lacking. This is as close as I could find.

If Morris is correct that the Saints reported the Freeman situation (and perhaps the Jackson situation) to the league office, there’s more than a bit of irony at play. Morris is one of the league’s most open coaches when discussing injuries. New Orleans’ Sean Payton follows a different path. Like a lot of coaches, Payton is extremely guarded with injury information, providing only minimal updates and only at times those updates are required by the NFL.

In fact, you could make a case that the Bucs might want to put in a call to the league office because New Orleans right tackle Zach Strief and linebacker Will Herring are not on this week’s injury report. Both were inactive Sunday, although Herring might have been a healthy scratch. But both players had been out with injuries for multiple games.

Saints add Zach Strief to injury report

November, 3, 2011

Nov 34:36PM ETEmailPrintComments9By Pat YasinskasWe’ve got an update to our previous post about how there might be some injury-report games going on in advance of Sunday’s game between the Saints and Buccaneers.

The Saints now have added right tackle Zach Strief to the injury report. Strief is listed with a knee injury and participated fully in Thursday’s practice. Strief was not listed on Wednesday’s injury report and was not on the first report the Saints sent out Thursday.

Coach Sean Payton has said Strief will start Sunday’s game. He had missed the previous five games with a knee injury.

Nice catch by Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times.

The brace on Josh Freeman's throwing hand is in place to protect a minor thumb injury, according to the Buccaneers. (National Football League)

Watching Josh Freeman's interview on NFL Network's "Around the League" on Wednesday, Holder noticed the Bucs quarterback wearing a brace on his throwing hand, to protect what a team spokesman later called a very minor thumb injury, according to the newspaper.

It was a reporter from a Florida paper not the Saints.

How dare they accuse us of starting THUMBGATE

Heads are gonna roll Sunday.

:p

It was a reporter from a Florida paper not the Saints.

How dare they accuse us of starting THUMBGATE

Heads are gonna roll Sunday.

:p

Saints coach Sean Payton later admitted he was the whistle blower. "Listen, I think when your quarterback's on NFL Network with a splint on his thumb, normally he's on the injury report," Payton said, via the Times-Picayune. "At least take the splint off before you go on NFL Network, right?"

Freeman's injury is a non-issue for the Bucs -- he's shown no ill effects from it the past two weeks, according to the Times -- but a little gamesmanship from a divisional rival should only add another layer of intrigue to Sunday's game.

This rivalry game sure is heating up. You jelly Steelers-Ravens? :troll:

Saints got a team full of arrogant whiners ever since they won the SB...even if they weren't on that team.

I've never understood why "gate" is added at the end of of every controversy.

A gate is something that closes and opens. It's not a fucking controversial object.

I've never understood why "gate" is added at the end of of every controversy.

A gate is something that closes and opens. It's not a fucking controversial object.

Watergate...

It's from Watergate which was named after the Watergate complex. It has nothing to do with an actual gate. It's just a coined term started by columnist/journalists after the scandal, so it's been used for a lot of scandals.

• Upvote 1

Oh man, what happens when an actual gate is the subject of controversy? GateGate?!

• Upvote 1

Oh man, what happens when an actual gate is the subject of controversy? GateGate?!

That would be the absolute epitome of epic.

It's from Watergate which was named after the Watergate complex. It has nothing to do with an actual gate. It's just a coined term started by columnist/journalists after the scandal, so it's been used for a lot of scandals.

Hold on a second, gentlemen. I knew about the Watergate complex and how they refer to it as that, but there's no real reason for ESPN to always use "gate" at the end of every controversy.

My gate isn't working anymore, I suspect sabotage. GATEGATE IS UNDERWAY.

:panic::panic::panic:

Hold on a second, gentlemen. I knew about the Watergate complex and how they refer to it as that, but there's no real reason for ESPN to always use "gate" at the end of every controversy.

I think the bolded part explains why.

Saints coach Sean Payton later admitted he was the whistle blower. "Listen, I think when your quarterback's on NFL Network with a splint on his thumb, normally he's on the injury report," Payton said, via the Times-Picayune. "At least take the splint off before you go on NFL Network, right?"

See he isn't really whining about it. He is just getting them back for pushing Jimmy Gramham into him and breaking his leg. :biggrin:

Well it's not just ESPN. It's the media in general.