Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Update: Romeo is officially in

Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said Crennel will be given the opportunity to interview for the job, though he's by no measure a lock. Crennel certainly hasn't hurt his chances as defensive coordinator the past two seasons, presiding over a unit that has been the Chiefs' biggest strength.

"I know the respect Romeo commands in the locker room," Pioli said. "We talked with Romeo and I think he's someone we're definitely going to be talking to."

Source: Associated Press

This is another case of "be careful what you wish for" to all of those Chiefs fans who were calling for Haley's head. First they scream for Cassel to be ousted, then he gets hurt, and Tyler Palko comes in. Now this.

I never really followed Crennel, what's so bad about him? Other than the fact he coached for a dreadful Browns organization.

Hoopla?

Edited by badgers

I never really followed Crennel, what's so bad about him? Other than the fact he coached for a dreadful Browns organization.

He's one of the reasons that the Browns organization is still so terrible. His handling of the QB situation was... well, calling it atrocious might just be the understatement of the year. He's a great defensive mind, but he has shown a complete and utter denseness when it comes to offense. He also lost the team in his first year as HC there.

His head coaching tenure in Cleveland was one of the most woeful attempts at head coaching that I have ever seen. With him as HC and 80 year-old Bill Muir as OC, the offense is in danger of taking a step back, if that's even possible.

For now though, he's the Chiefs' head coach. That means I'm rooting for him against all rational thoughts in my head. They will finish strong and rally around Romeo for these final 3 games. as for the future, I'd rather get someone else to run the team and keep Romeo as DC.

The problem there is that now that he's getting a chance to be a head coach, he's going to want to get another shot at running a team. If not in K.C., then he may feel the urge to jump ship and go somewhere where he can get that shot. If the Chiefs actually do rally around him and finish this season out strong, he may just get that opportunity.

Sounds like a catch 22 when I really lay it out like that in text. Uh-oh. :worried:

• Upvote 1

and that would be a brilliant comparison... +1.

I can explain it so much easier for you, Bowe.

He's a black Wade Phillips.

Ha. That's about the whole of it man. :laugh:

I can explain it so much easier for you, Bowe.

He's a black Wade Phillips.

Well said, sir.

the Chiefs have fallen and cant get up..

Josh McDaniels will be the new HC in KC.

Pioli wants to keep Cassel as the starting QB and that limits his options at HC.

Josh wanted Cassel as his starter when he went to Denver last year.

and the losing trend continues.

I’m told by a several league sources that Kansas City interim coach Romeo Crennel is almost a lock to get the job full-time. One source said it’s 80 to 90 percent certain and what Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli could do is bring in a hot offensive coordinator to go with Crennel.

Source: Mike Freeman, CBS Sports

The Romeo Crennel era may have already begun in Kansas City. I'm all for it if they can bring in a Brian Schottenhiemer type, but if the keep Muir on a OC, this feel-good story could bring more hurt than help.

He's earned a lot of respect from his players. Which is probably something that Haley lost.

They really did seem to take to him as HC. I doubt Haley gets a fun-spirited Gatorade bath after the game. Hell, I doubt the Chiefs even win that game with Haley there. He probably would have started Palko again. We all know how that would have turned out.

When Haley was the coach, I supported him. He did some really good things in his time there, but maybe everyone else was right. Maybe it was his time to move on.

They really did seem to take to him as HC. I doubt Haley gets a fun-spirited Gatorade bath after the game. Hell, I doubt the Chiefs even win that game with Haley there. He probably would have started Palko again. We all know how that would have turned out.

When Haley was the coach, I supported him. He did some really good things in his time there, but maybe everyone else was right. Maybe it was his time to move on.

He definitely would have. He was starting Palko to piss off Pioli. lol

He definitely would have. He was starting Palko to piss off Pioli. lol

I really hope you're just joking, and that isn't true. If that was the case, I've lost all respect for Haley. Sabotaging the team to stage a pissing match between him and his boss? There is no place for that in any facet of life, let alone in pro football.

I really hope you're just joking, and that isn't true. If that was the case, I've lost all respect for Haley. Sabotaging the team to stage a pissing match between him and his boss? There is no place for that in any facet of life, let alone in pro football.

It was a back and forth... Pioli was leaking stories about Haley to the local media... Saying he was going out and partying during the week when he should have been gameplanning, etc etc.

It is pretty childish, but look at who we are talking about here.

At least the 'Patriot Way' is coming to KC. :)

At least the 'Patriot Way' is coming to KC. :)

If it brings championship results at some point, then what the Hell. If it gets rid of the bad eggs to make way for the good ones, then I say Patriot Way = A O K. :yep:

Awwww yeahhhh.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs are planning to retain interim head coach Romeo Crennel for the 2012 season.

The "interim" tag will soon be removed from Crennel's title. The move will be popular with the Chiefs' players, who played extremely hard for Crennel down the stretch after Todd Haley was fired on December 12. Kansas City stunned the 13-0 Packers with a 19-14 victory during Crennel's first week on the job, and nearly knocked the Broncos out of the playoffs with a 7-3 win in Week 17. Crennel was unsuccessful at his only previous head coaching stop, however, guiding the Browns to a 24-40 record between 2005-08.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

If ESPN reported it, you can pretty much :bookit: because they never try to scoop anyone with breaking news. They go through so many back channels and check and recheck information that you can bet they won't have egg on their face, even if everyone with a PC new the news 2 hours before it "Breaks" on ESPN.

They have their guy. now it's time to support his big fat ass. lol

The worst kept secret in Kansas City is now official: Romeo Crennel is officially the new head coach of the Chiefs.

Crennel had a 24-40 record as the head coach for Cleveland from 2005 through 2008. After taking a year off from football, he joined the Chiefs in 2010 as their defensive coordinator.

The Chiefs interviewed at least a half-dozen other candidates for the position but never veered far from Crennel.

He made sense for the Chiefs for many reasons:

Pioli and Crennel have a level of respect for one another that, as we learned when Haley was the coach, is necessary as long as Pioli is the general manager. These two have proven they can work together.

The players wanted Crennel retained as the head coach. Crennel won’t have to change any cultures or win over any factions in the locker room. That’s already been done.

Source: Kansas City Star

Like this move for the Chiefs. They played well under him the last few games and I think the players have his respect.

The players always respected him in Cleveland as well. Didnt matter much - we had the talent, just not the coach. Dude flipped a coin to decide a starting QB. And I hated Romeo's press conferences, it was like he was talking to a 3rd grade class.

Anywho, I never disliked the guy. I wish him well in KC.

The players always respected him in Cleveland as well. Didnt matter much - we had the talent, just not the coach. Dude flipped a coin to decide a starting QB. And I hated Romeo's press conferences, it was like he was talking to a 3rd grade class.

Anywho, I never disliked the guy. I wish him well in KC.

He flipped a coin to decide the QB because they didn't have any talent at that spot. That team was bad, and the offensive guys absolutely couldn't stand Romeo as I recall. They thought he was a joke, and honestly after said QB coin flip, so did everyone else.

As far as him coaching the Chiefs, I'm rooting for the guy for a few reasons—one being very obvious. If the Chiefs can get a good OC in there, I could see this going really well.

Like you, I never disliked the guy either. I'm glad to see a Browns fan that isn't so frustrated with their own team that they hate on everyone else's. Good shit NaTaS.