AllYouNeedIsLovie

Update: Hines Ward to play another season

http://profootballta...rd-will-retire/

With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, there's been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasn't been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the "expectations around the team" are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isn't Ward so there's obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didn't provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldn't be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers haven't shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiver's blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.

Great career. I think it is a good time to hang up the cleats for Hines.

Edited by NaTaS

It seems to be time. 1,000 catches, two rings, a huge decline in productivity, and almost 0 minutes. He's just on the team out of respect at this point. If he doesn't bow out gracefully soon, he may be unceremoniously shown the door. I don't think anyone really wants to see that.

Maybe it doesn't surprise everyone at all...He's already achieved many things in his career so he's choosing the best time to step aside and let our younger and talented receivers make a great impact on our team...

It was definitely time. Didn't get much time on the field anymore with the Steelers' plethora of talented young receivers. Great career for Ward though.

Great Career Hines. Got his 1000th career grab. :beerchug2:

Multiple sources tell WPXI in Pittsburgh that Hines Ward has no plans to retire this offseason.

CBS' Mike Freeman has essentially reported otherwise, saying Steelers players believe Ward is ready to hang 'em up. It's possible Ward is having second thoughts, but we're fairly certain he wouldn't return to Pittsburgh without a significant pay cut. Fifth receivers aren't worth $4 million base salaries.

Source: WPXI Pittsburgh

HOF?

If he gets in, it'll be because of his rings, not because his production. He's in the hall of very good based on production. Right along the lines of guys like Derrick Mason, Eric Moulds, Chad Ochocinco, etc.

If he gets in, it'll be because of his rings, not because his production. He's in the hall of very good based on production. Right along the lines of guys like Derrick Mason, Eric Moulds, Chad Ochocinco, etc.

None of them are/were anywhere near as good of a blocker as Hines. I saw a stat once that said the Steelers' rushing attack over the years averaged an entire YPC more with him in the lineup than without him. I'll try to go find it and post it here when I do. Think about that, though... a RECEIVER that adds a whole yard of rushing because he's so good at blocking... that's insane.

Edited by Sarge

Maybe if CJ2YPC had a "hall of very good" WR blocking for him he'd still be CJ2K.

Lumping Hines with Chad Ocho-Johnson is laughable and a bit insulting to Ward. Ward has always been a selfLESS player. ESPN 8 the Ocho has always been about one guy: himself. Also, he isn't half the player Ward has been for the last decade.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Hines Ward plans to play in 2012 "whether it's with the Steelers or somewhere else."

The paper also reports Ward is due a bonus in March, which will force the Steelers to decide if they want to keep a player who has made 1,000 catches since arriving in Pittsburgh as a third-round pick in 1998. The Post-Gazette believes the Steelers "do not want him back." Ward wouldn't draw interest as anything other than a No. 4/5 receiver on the open market.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

He didn't get many minutes this season,just because we used Brown,Sanders and Cotchery more...I think Tomlin saw their potential this season so he's gonna keep starting them next season...I don't think this is gonna change if Ward stays...

^ I know it was a bad game, but one bad game doesn't end a career... Not sure if you're serious or not.

He would lose so much respect if he didn't retire a steeler IMO, and i definitely think he is hof material.as well as Bettis

Per Rotoworld.com:

Hines Ward is willing to accept a pay cut to stay with the Steelers in 2012.

"I recognize that," said Ward of the restructuring. "I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. ... I want to try to win another Super Bowl. I want to do it for this organization." Although Ward needs minor ankle surgery to remove bone spurs, he intends to play in 2012 even if the Steelers don't want him back. Beat writer Ed Bouchette opined Tuesday that ownership would have to step in for Ward to return to the Steelers. Jan 11 - 8:45 AM

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette