BucD

Sources: Peyton Manning's Career Likely Over

And for every report, there is a contradicting report:

Former Colts president Bill Polian disputes this week's reports that Peyton Manning doesn't currently possess NFL-caliber arm strength.

Polian labeled the reports "untrue," adding that Manning showed "quick release, good zip, but it was capped at about 25 yards" in a New Year's Eve throwing session. Polian insists Manning has been showing progress and that "his range of motion between his right arm and his left arm are almost the same at this point."

Source: CSN Chicago

After watching Peyton Manning throw on New Year's Eve, former Colts president Bill Polian believes the quarterback will return to play "at a high level."

Polian concedes that Manning's recovery is "coming, but coming slowly." His take-away from Manning's throwing session differs considerably from previous reports. "It's marked (improvement) from where he was back in September," Polian said. "He threw it accurately, he threw it with a good, tight spiral, and he threw it with velocity. Generally, he looked like a pretty confident quarterback out there." Polian also noted that Manning made several throws across his body.

Source: NFL.com

I believe nothing about Peyton Manning anymore. We've heard in this thread alone that that Peyton's career is practically over, then his rehab is coming along fine, then he's been medically cleared to play, then he hasn't been cleared by Indy's doctors, then he would have been ready to play in the Super Bowl, then there's no velocity on his throws, then he can't throw across his body, and now he's virtually a Redskin: it's a done deal, all from "sources close to" Peyton, each story contradicting the last.

Here's the latest:

Chris Mortensen reports that "sources close to Peyton Manning"

have informed him that the quarterback is eyeing a career in reality TV now and will forgo the 2012 season to try out for several shows including, but not limited to Survivor: Czechoslovakia, Storage Wars, The Amazing Race, The Ultimate Fighter, and of course the no-brainer Dancing with the Stars.

Source: M.Y. Ass

Everyone is just speculating. Here, I can do it, too.

According to a exhaustively researched report by a member of the best football site on the internet, Peyton Manning will "undoubtedly" be playing in the IFL with Terrell Owens and the Allen Wranglers next season. The reason has nothing to do with his arm but because Peyton "has had his feelings hurt" by the Colts seeming reluctance to mortgage the future of their franchise because of what he has done for them in the past. We tried to track down Terrell Owens for comment, but we couldn't find him. Rumors are he is hiding so that he does not have to pay further child support.

More news at six.

Source

Since Peyton's health itself is obviously too murky to make any determinations on, I'll jump into the debate as to where he goes should Indy release him...

I think it makes all the sense in the world for the Redskins to go after Manning. They need a quarterback, they need a face to the franchise, they need that spark to the team that has yet to arrive after getting Mike Shanahan--but they also need more talent at other positions. So I'm not entirely sold on Manning being as interested in Washington as they will be in him. He knows he, at best, has about 3-4 years left, so he's going to want to sign with a team that can win a championship right now. When you factor in how competitive the NFC East is (Giants are defending champs and both the Cowboys and Eagles figure to be better next season), I don't think the Redskins are the most attractive option in that regard.

For this reason, the Cardinals and Dolphins make a lot more sense. While Sean exagerates to extremes, the Dolphins do have a talented defense and quite a few pieces on offense. When you factor in Manning's feelings for the South Florida area (which he's already admitted), he could certainly sign there if he likes what new head coach and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman have to say. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have quietly built themselves a really good defense (Calais Campbell and Daryl Washington have become incredibly underrated, and there's still Patrick Peterson), and while they have some building to do on the offensive line, who wouldn't want to throw to Larry Fitzgerald?

I think it makes all the sense in the world for the Redskins to go after Manning. They need a quarterback, they need a face to the franchise, they need that spark to the team that has yet to arrive after getting Mike Shanahan--but they also need more talent at other positions. So I'm not entirely sold on Manning being as interested in Washington as they will be in him. He knows he, at best, has about 3-4 years left, so he's going to want to sign with a team that can win a championship right now. When you factor in how competitive the NFC East is (Giants are defending champs and both the Cowboys and Eagles figure to be better next season), I don't think the Redskins are the most attractive option in that regard.

the other issue for Manning with going to Washington is it would mean he'd be playing his brother twice a year, though depending on their family dynamics that might be a reason to go to Washington

the other issue for Manning with going to Washington is it would mean he'd be playing his brother twice a year, though depending on their family dynamics that might be a reason to go to Washington

I don't think that would increase or decrease Washington's appeal in any significant way. Both Mannings are competitive guys who would welcome the chance to face off twice a year, but I don't think it's necessarily something Peyton would really like to do.

Honestly, Peyton was born to be on TV. Get fucking Shannon Sharpe's half retarded ass off of CBS pregame and put Peyton in. He'd be funny ANNNND you can actually understand what he's saying. Or Take Irvin or fucking Sanders off of NFLN.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, Peyton was born to be on TV. Get fucking Shannon Sharpe's half retarded ass off of CBS pregame and put Peyton in. He'd be funny ANNNND you can actually understand what he's saying. Or Take Irvin or fucking Sanders off of NFLN.

Get this man a cookie.

Since Peyton's health itself is obviously too murky to make any determinations on, I'll jump into the debate as to where he goes should Indy release him...

For this reason, the Cardinals and Dolphins make a lot more sense. While Sean exagerates to extremes, the Dolphins do have a talented defense and quite a few pieces on offense. When you factor in Manning's feelings for the South Florida area (which he's already admitted), he could certainly sign there if he likes what new head coach and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman have to say. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have quietly built themselves a really good defense (Calais Campbell and Daryl Washington have become incredibly underrated, and there's still Patrick Peterson), and while they have some building to do on the offensive line, who wouldn't want to throw to Larry Fitzgerald?

Why not the Chiefs? You can say all the things you said about the Phins or Cardinals about the Chiefs. The defense is stout to say the least, and why wouldn't you want to throw to Bowe, Baldwin, and Breaston? There's no Fitz there, but Bowe is more than an adequate consolation prize and the sum of the parts is greater than the WR corp in either of the other two cities. Plus, if Charles is even 80 % of what he was before the knee injury, the running game is better too.

Cassel's contract has already paid out the guaranteed money, so he's totally dumpable, and the Chiefs are already like 38 mil below the cap. Even with resigning Bowe and Carr, after dropping Cassel the team would have plenty of cap space to sign Manning too. :yep:

Why not the Chiefs? You can say all the things you said about the Phins or Cardinals about the Chiefs. The defense is stout to say the least, and why wouldn't you want to throw to Bowe, Baldwin, and Breaston? There's no Fitz there, but Bowe is more than an adequate consolation prize and the sum of the parts is greater than the WR corp in either of the other two cities. Plus, if Charles is even 80 % of what he was before the knee injury, the running game is better too.

Cassel's contract has already paid out the guaranteed money, so he's totally dumpable, and the Chiefs are already like 38 mil below the cap. Even with resigning Bowe and Carr, after dropping Cassel the team would have plenty of cap space to sign Manning too. :yep:

Hadn't thought of the Chiefs since they hadn't been mentioned in any reports. I know they keep saying they're committed to Matt Cassell, but the Dolphins and Cardinals say the same about Matt Moore and Kevin Kolb, and you know they'd jump at the chance to land Manning.

Hadn't thought of the Chiefs since they hadn't been mentioned in any reports. I know they keep saying they're committed to Matt Cassell, but the Dolphins and Cardinals say the same about Matt Moore and Kevin Kolb, and you know they'd jump at the chance to land Manning.

Really? I don't recall Joe Philbin saying anything of the like. It's a pretty clear consensus, from what I've seen.. That the Dolphins are looking far and wide for a new QB.

The thing is that recently Crennel, Daboll, and Pioli have all publicly said that they aren't committed to Cassel. They are saying that bringing in "competition at the QB position" is a huge priority this season. As we all know, Pioli doesn't ever give away what he's going to do until it's time to do it. SOME one will be coming in to either push Cassel to be better or push him out of the way. I'm leaning toward the latter. BRING ON MANNING!

Best fit to me for Peyton would be if he would go to the Cardinals IMO. You have a team that sits in a relatively easy division and with a few changes to the offensive line..you would have Peyton, Fitz, Beanie Wells, and lets not forget about Ryan Williams who sat out all of last year with a torn ACL, dude can run.

Best fit to me for Peyton would be if he would go to the Cardinals IMO. You have a team that sits in a relatively easy division and with a few changes to the offensive line..you would have Peyton, Fitz, Beanie Wells, and lets not forget about Ryan Williams who sat out all of last year with a torn ACL, dude can run.

Idk, I think the AFC West would be an easier division than the NFC West, at least next year.

I like Bowe's idea of the Chiefs, I think he'd be a good fit there.

• Upvote 1

Idk, I think the AFC West would be an easier division than the NFC West, at least next year.

It definitely would. Nobody doubts what San Francisco is capable of, and both Arizona and Seattle have quietly built good defenses. (We were discussing this in the shoutbox yesterday.) Both those teams are probably a good quarterback and improved offensive line away from contending for a wild card spot. St. Louis, meanwhile, may suck now, but they certainly have a lot of room for improvement with Jeff Fisher coming to run the show.

So yes, the AFC West is much weaker than the NFC West at this point.

@AdamSchefter:

Jim Irsay to John Clayton: "We want him back. We can work out the contract if he wants to work it out. It's going to be Peyton's call.''

:think:

I wouldn't mind Peyton Manning in my division :shrug: Would add lots of intensity, camaraderie, and would make us better.

I definitely could see Manning in Arizona or KC. Both teams have the offensive weapons. All they need is a QB that know the ropes.

Personally, I'd like to see him play for 2-3 more seasons and let him retire on his own terms.

Edited by BigBen07

Guest Phailadelphia

Mort says Peyton is throwing well and progressing daily.

:think:

hooray blame shifting, these veteran departures always go best when both sides make it look like the other wasn't cooperative, right?

Just trade the guy! These updates are getting really stupid!

nobody's gonna trade for him if it means they'll have to give him $28 million next month

Jim Irsay to John Clayton: "We want him back. We can work out the contract if he wants to work it out. It's going to be Peyton's call.''

I feel I speak for all of us when I say that all of this public posturing is long past ridiculous. This is starting to turn into Bret Favre v2.0, with the mirror affect. Peyton may have started this thing, but the Colts/Irsay have taken it well past tactful. I'm done with the "updates."

That being said, I'm still intrigued by what might or might not happen. Let's keep our own debate going. That part of it is fun.

I wouldn't mind Peyton Manning in my division :shrug: Would add lots of intensity, camaraderie, and would make us better.

All Manning would do for this division is make the Seahawks/Rams the NFC Bengals/Browns. I now understand what all my compo drays have been saying.

LOLBCFAIL

I definitely could see Manning in Arizona or KC. Both teams have the offensive weapons. All they need is a QB that know the ropes.

Personally, I'd like to see him play for 2-3 more seasons and let him retire on his own terms.

I'm with you on this one Ben. I'm pulling for Peyton to come back and do much damage, regardless of where he goes (provided he's not going to the Raiders... The Broncos are also out of the question.) I'm just a little appalled with the thought of him going to Washington. If he wanted to try to take a terrible team to the Super Bowl, he could just stay in Indy and carry those bums for a couple of more years.

@evansilva:

ESPN Medical Analyst Dr. M. Kaplan on Peyton Manning: "More than 90% of ppl in his shoes make full recovery. Odds are well in his favor."