BucD

Sources: Peyton Manning's Career Likely Over

Per LA Times:

January 31, 2012 | 9:09 am

Peyton Manning's football career is likely over, two sources close to the Indianapolis Colts quarterback with knowledge of his recovery from neck surgery told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

Although the vertebrae in Manning's neck have healed as expected, which allowed him to start throwing again back in December, the same can't be said for the nerves in his arm, according to the sources. They say the velocity on his passes has not improved and possibly never will.

All of which, the sources say, indicates the four-time MVP will probably never play again.

Two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery told Cole that it would be too risky for Manning to play again and that it could take as long as a year for Manning to know whether a return is possible.

Manning could not be reached for a comment on the Yahoo! article, but he has indicated that he has every intention of resuming his NFL career.

Speculation about Manning's future with the Colts has been a main topic of conversation leading up to the Super Bowl, which is being held in Indianapolis and features Manning's younger brother, Eli, as one of the starting quarterbacks.

Manning is due a $28-million bonus in early March, but Colts owner Jim Irsay said Monday that he and the quarterback agreed that all the NFL discussion in Indianapolis this week should be about the Super Bowl.

-- Chuck Schilken

Edited by Favre4Ever

That's rough. You really think that this wouldn't happen to one of the game's iron men but there you go. A career ending injury. I really thought Manning would be one of those guys who could leave the game on his own terms. Here's to a great career in coaching or broadcasting.

That's rough. You really think that this wouldn't happen to one of the game's iron men but there you go. A career ending injury. I really thought Manning would be one of those guys who could leave the game on his own terms. Here's to a great career in coaching or broadcasting.

Agreed.

I mean isn't it kind of ironic though? I mean he was considered (after Favre) the league's ironman, or one of them, w/ his all-time consecutive starts streak record.

I don't think there is one person out there that could have called his end like this. It is very sad and unfortunately that he is going to go out in this way. If true of course...

even if he doesn't retire you have to think this will weigh heavily in any team's decision to bring him in for next season, will he even be able to pass a physical?

No way, in my opinion, that he passes a physical.

There is just SO MUCH wrong with him right now, and he would really need something short of a miracle to get back on the field.

I say he should just not embarrass himself and look at other teams, fail his physical, etc etc. Just hang them up with your dignity in tact.

He has nothing to regret. He is one of the leagues best stat compilers, has a championship, and 4 league MVPs, and is widely considered as one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

He has nothing left to play for. It's time he realize that and not sacrifice his health anymore than he has.

No way, in my opinion, that he passes a physical.

There is just SO MUCH wrong with him right now, and he would really need something short of a miracle to get back on the field.

I say he should just not embarrass himself and look at other teams, fail his physical, etc etc. Just hang them up with your dignity in tact.

He has nothing to regret. He is one of the leagues best stat compilers, has a championship, and 4 league MVPs, and is widely considered as one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

He has nothing left to play for. It's time he realize that and not sacrifice his health anymore than he has.

I agree.

You're only in your late 30's and you have so much other stuff going for you in the future whether it be coaching or broadcasting etc.

He's already done many things when most players never accomplish just one of those things. But as mentioned, why risk any possible embarrassment?

As much as it may hurt...it's time to move on...

there's not a lot wrong with him, it's just one thing very, very wrong with him, but aside from that everything you said is completely correct, if this is accurate and there's no way he'd clear a physical to play next year then he needs to retire before the Colts have to cut him

I think Peyton would make one HELL of a QB coach, and eventually an OC if he wants that.

there's not a lot wrong with him, it's just one thing very, very wrong with him, but aside from that everything you said is completely correct, if this is accurate and there's no way he'd clear a physical to play next year then he needs to retire before the Colts have to cut him

Dude had his vertebrae fused together, then he has to wait for the nerves to potentially regrow, and he's lost strength in his pecs, biceps, and triceps.

Sounds like a lot more than just one thing... lol

How awesome would it be if Peyton became the Giants QB coach?

• Upvote 1

Dude had his vertebrae fused together, then he has to wait for the nerves to potentially regrow, and he's lost strength in his pecs, biceps, and triceps.

Sounds like a lot more than just one thing... lol

As someone who had to rest my arm from a shoulder surgery - regenerating strength in the arms and shoulder is not that difficult. It's the nerve damage that I find saddening. That would be very tough to come back from. During my physical therapy, I had to do a ton of nerve stretches to keep the damage from surgery to a minimum as they had to obviously cut nerves during surgery. His sounds much more intense. I'm not a physical therapist but I still have a hope that Peyton can come back - I'm not counting him out yet.

I'd love to see him do some acting - dude is funny. :)

Let me know when it's official that one of the 6 billion reports surrounding the Colts, and Peyton are true. Seriously. Every fucking day there's a new one. I'm sick and tired of it. Especially when it's the same people changing their opinions day-to-day as more shit comes up. Addai said after practices during Week 16 that his passes had "more zip" than usual. So really, it's all speculation until something really does happen.

Let me know when Peyton is the one saying these things.

Let me know when it's official that one of the 6 billion reports surrounding the Colts, and Peyton are true. Seriously. Every fucking day there's a new one. I'm sick and tired of it. Especially when it's the same people changing their opinions day-to-day as more shit comes up. Addai said after practices during Week 16 that his passes had "more zip" than usual. So really, it's all speculation until something really does happen.

I couldn't agree more with both of you. Media is media, and sports media is just as bad as CNN, CSNBC, C-Span, and whatever else. It's all become one big spin factory. I realize it's their jobs to stir up interest when there really isn't much substance, but the Peyton saga is getting a bit ridiculous.

I'm not buying into anything until there's something to buy. For the record, I really hope Peyton doesn't have to go out like this, and I believe that no matter what, he won't be in Indy next season. I'm still holding out hope that he goes to the Chiefs. It would really be a great situation for everyone involved, provided he's still "Peyton-like." Plus, with all the secrecy surrounding the situation, he'll fit right in with Pioli and company. lol.

Let me know when Peyton is the one saying these things.

Exactly. I'm tired of all these bullshit 'unknown' or 'unnamed' sources being used of late. Not just in this story but in others. Is there no credibility left in reporting? Oh and I love how I'll watch a show on ESPN and they'll be like "Now, this was from an unnamed source and we don't know how true it is but here it is anyways".

• Upvote 1

Peyton himself has said he has no plans to retire:

Source

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said Tuesday he has no plans to retire and that his recovery from neck surgery is on schedule.

Manning told a group of reporters Tuesday he doesn't plan to stop playing and that his recovery from a third neck surgery continues to be on schedule.

"My plan hasn't changed," Manning said at a hotel after Media Day at Lucas Oil Stadium. "I'm on track with what the doctors have told me to do, and I'm doing

that. I'm rehabbing hard."

When asked about reports he may soon retire, he said that talk is premature: "I have no plans on doing that."

There has been rampant speculation about his recovery, the potential risks of a return, whether the Colts will pay Manning a $28 million roster bonus in early March to prevent him from becoming a free agent or whether the soon-to-be 36-year-old might quit playing.

Manning did say during a taped interview with ESPN Tuesday that he likely will meet with Colts owner Jim Irsay soon to discuss his future with the team. But Manning said it was too soon to tell how his predicament would be resolved.

“That’s hard for me to answer," Manning told ESPN. "We will (talk) at the appropriate time, and some decisions will be made after that. ... It will happen soon."

It's been a tumultuous month for the Colts, and Manning's future continues to cast a shadow over this week's Super Bowl, the first in Indianapolis. The shadow of Manning's unknown future doesn't show signs of going away anytime soon, though he wishes he wasn't such a distraction.

“I can’t explain it," Manning told ESPN. "It’s not the way it should be. I really don’t think it will be as the week goes on.

"If other people want to talk about things, that’s their prerogative.”

Most of the Patriots and Giants said they're not paying attention to speculation that Manning's career could be over, but it's a difficult topic to avoid.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning said Tuesday he hoped to see his brother make a comeback as a member of the Colts.

Cooper Manning, Peyton's other brother, told NFL Network's Albert Breer that Manning was determined to return to play next season. Peyton Manning sounded encouraged about his recovery progress during the ESPN interview and said that everything doctors have told him about the process has been on point, suggesting he's on schedule.

That update from Manning came despite a Yahoo! Sports report that said the nerves in his arm are not healing in a way that would indicate he can come back to action.

After last week's public spat between the Colts quarterback and team owner Jim Irsay, the two issued a joint statement in hopes of tamping down publicity leading up to the Super Bowl. Irsay has vowed that he won't discuss Manning this week to keep the focus on the Super Bowl.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported last Saturday that the Colts decided weeks ago to move on without Manning.

• Upvote 1

I think he is probably still not completely sure and is going to do the right thing and keep pressing his confidence in himself publicly just to keep the door open. Demand for a guy like him is still pretty high right now. Everyone always talking about drafting the next Peyton Manning. He is Peyton Manning. I think he's got a shot.

Plot twist.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) has received medical clearance to resume his NFL career.

The timing is a surprise after several sources claiming to be close to Manning told reporters early in the week that his career was in serious jeopardy. Doctors determined that Manning has enough stability in his neck to play right now "if the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level." In other words, the true test going forward will be arm strength, not safety. Doctors have prescribed an "aggressive rehabilitation path if the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level." The Manning camp is making it clear to potential suitors that he anticipates being ready to roll in 2012.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Guest Phailadelphia

BUT GUIZ HE CANT PLAY AGAIN HE HAD DA NECK FUZION HES TOTES A GLASS FIGURINE NOW A BUNCH OF ANONYMOUS SOURCES WHO ARE NOT DOCTORS SAID SO

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being medically cleared and playing at Peyton Manning level of football are two completely different things.

This doesn't mean a whole lot...

QB Peyton Manning has been cleared to resume his NFL career by the doctor who performed his neck fusion surgery in September, but the future of the Colts star quarterback remains in limbo.

Manning still hasn't been cleared by Colts doctors, beyond the clearance weeks ago to throw and increase the intensity of his rehabilitation. It is unclear when Manning will be checked again by Colts doctors.

Lol at making a big deal out of being cleared by a single doctor. We are still weeks out of knowing anything substantial.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Except him playing at a Peyton level isn't the issue, him playing at all is.

Except him playing at a Peyton level isn't the issue, him playing at all is.

If the Colts had a game tomorrow, he wouldn't be even remotely close to playing. Just like yesterday before he was "medically cleared" by this one doctor.

Guest Phailadelphia

We are still weeks out of knowing anything substantial.

Yet you're jumping to conclusions like this one:

Flippy floppy.

Yet you're jumping to conclusions like this one:

Flippy floppy.

The nerves in his arm still aren't where they need to be for him to play QB in the NFL. Literally nothing has changed...

I still say he doesn't play, also something that hasn't changed.