SteVo

2012 Mock Draft 4.0

Now that the free agency period is just about over, the focus of the NFL turns to the draft. It's about this time that speculation and rumors are floating across news wires like crazy, so let's make some sense of how things will actually turn out at the end of the month. Not projecting any trades beyond the ones that have already happened.

Mock40A.png

Mock40B.png

TR and David? Yes please!

TR and David? Yes please!

:yeahthat: Love both the picks with Claiborne off the board. If we do this and get a CB in the 3rd, I'd be very happy. :yep:

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with Carolina taking Floyd with #9.

Most people forget that we have David Gettis back this year, who was a young WR who looked like he was going to do great in the NFL, but he got injured last preseason.

I wouldn't be terribly upset, but we need a DT or DE far more than we need yet another young WR.

Edited by Thanatos19

I like getting Brockers, especially after losing Bunkley.... but as long as Peyton Manning is around, we're probably drafting offense first. Zebra Sanders is a good second round pick though.

Still & Reyes... Interesting. Not really sure we are going to hit up the same position to start off the NFL draft, but can't really complain about either of the players.

not sure we'd go S/CB in the first two rounds, secondary isn't that big of a need

I doubt we are still going to go TE after the Bennett signing

Bennett is on a prove-it deal, and I don't think that in any way would prevent the Giants from taking Fleener at #32. Jerry Reese loves him some BPA, and not only could Fleener be that guy at 32nd overall, he's a very dynamic player who fills a big need at TE.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with Carolina taking Floyd with #9.

Most people forget that we have David Gettis back this year, who was a young WR who looked like he was going to do great in the NFL, but he got injured last preseason.

I wouldn't be terribly upset, but we need a DT or DE far more than we need yet another young WR.

I certainly don't disagree that DT is the biggest need for Carolina. But, I feel like they're going to take the highest player on their board, and that could be Floyd. Even if Gettis has potential, Steve Smith is old. Let's not forget the draft is where you build for the future, not for this season. Also remember that this year's DT class is incredibly deep. The Panthers could find a guy like Jerel Worthy or Brandon Thompson in the 2nd round to plug in at DT, but they won't find a receiver like Floyd anywhere else but the 1st round.

I could see it going either way; right now I'm just going with my gut and picking Floyd.

I like getting Brockers, especially after losing Bunkley.... but as long as Peyton Manning is around, we're probably drafting offense first. Zebra Sanders is a good second round pick though.

I considered the Peyton factor but at 25th overall, Brockers was too big of a steal to pass up. I know Schefter keeps denying it, but maybe you guys make a play for Mike Wallace?

Still & Reyes... Interesting. Not really sure we are going to hit up the same position to start off the NFL draft, but can't really complain about either of the players.

Yeah, I don't think the Pack are likely to draft back-to-back DEs either, but when you guys were up in the 2nd round Reyes had fallen so far that I figured Ted Thompson and his BPA strategy would have drafted Reyes given the scenario. Highly unlikely, though.

not sure we'd go S/CB in the first two rounds, secondary isn't that big of a need

I thought a few different ways with the Titans picks, and I almost gave you guys Peter Konz in the 1st round. Just out of curiosity, how would you rank Tennessee's draft needs?

That's what I was thinking. we burn our first for Wallace, or we grab Stephen Hill / Kendall Wright depending on who is there.

Bennett is on a prove-it deal, and I don't think that in any way would prevent the Giants from taking Fleener at #32. Jerry Reese loves him some BPA, and not only could Fleener be that guy at 32nd overall, he's a very dynamic player who fills a big need at TE.

Right but even if we don't resign Bennett after 1 year or he doesn't pan out we will have Ballard back. Plus we have Pascoe still. With Fleeners weakness being his blocking, which is 75% of what a Giants TE is asked to do I don't think he fits. I do agree he's the best all around TE in the draft but I don't think he's Miles ahead of Charles, Allen, Green, or even Egnew and one of them should still be there in the second, possibly even the 3rd. The fact that TE in our system is a pretty under utilized position I can't see it in the first round because of the Bennett signing

Plus BPA is obviously something the Giants predicate themselves on, but its not always like that. If we have a BIG need it's usually a combination of BPA and need. Like in 08 when we lost Gibril Wilson and drafted KP, or 09 when we lost Plax and drafted Nicks. And right now OT is a massive need, and LB since we currently don't have a single MLB on the roster, which could change before the draft I don't see how they don't resign either Goff or Blackburn.....but as it stands now I don't think there's anyway we go TE in the first.

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

I like Reiff and the Bills taking a cornerback is always a safe bet.

Finally...a mock draft ATL can comment on :troll:

I get the idea that we need a replacement for Tony G, but we do not need to rush it. TE is not a dire need for us now...I see us taking an OT, or CB in the draft and nothing else...

Dolphins here have pretty solid picks... QB and DE in First and Second round respectively. Maybe if they can get a WR in the second round or something that would be great. We need to fill that hole that we created ourselves in letting go Brandon Marshall. Who knows, maybe with one of the two third round picks we can get it done.

I thought a few different ways with the Titans picks, and I almost gave you guys Peter Konz in the 1st round. Just out of curiosity, how would you rank Tennessee's draft needs?

I would definitely put safety up there, Griff is on a franchise deal in very much a prove-it scenario, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone next offseason, and Babineaux who's going to be 30 at the start of the season, so it'd be nice to get someone in the pipes there, but I think we're alright at corner with McCourty and Verner starting and 3-4 young guys competing for the nickel spot

next I'd say d-line, we were second to last in the league last year with 28 sacks, part of that may have been changing schemes (when Washburn left we abandoned the wide-9 technique) and we have addressed it some in the offseason, but I'd definitely rank DE and to a lesser extent DT as a high need

then I'd look at the interior of the oline, again that's a spot we've addressed some in the offseason by adding Hutchinson and we still may add a center, but the quality of centers left at this point in FA isn't good enough to take it off our draft board as a need and with Hutch's age it would again be nice to get somebody coming up the pipes

after that I might say TE, we've got Craig Stevens, who's gotten better every season but is primarily a blocker, Jared Cook, who we're all waiting on a breakout from but as I've said before potential is only good for a few years before it needs to become something tangible, and Daniel Graham, who's a pretty good blocker and a good option as the #3 TE, but nothing more than that, so if the draft falls right it'd be nice to add someone there

I'd also like to see us get a good bruising back to complement CJ, I'm still pissed we cut LeGarrette Blount a couple years ago, but really, beyond addressing the oline, dline, and grabbing a safety I wouldn't be surprised with any picks (except a QB, that would surprise me)

Not sure I like WR in the first so much, but love G in the 2nd.