Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

2012 U.S. Presidential Election

President Barack Obama vs. Governor Mitt Romney  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What are your current feelings toward the presidential election, assuming Gov. Romney secures the GOP nomination?

• I will definitely be voting for Obama.
    • I will definitely be voting for Romney.
    • I'm leaning towards Obama, but haven't made up my mind.
    • I'm leaning towards Romney, but haven't made up my mind.
    • I'm really not sure at this point, gonna let both campaigns decide.
    • Not a fan of either candidate; I'm really not sure yet.

Probably the white guy that got the most air time. McCain of course.

Probably the white guy that got the most air time. McCain of course.

Obama had plenty of air time too...

Obama had plenty of air time too...

He said the *white* guy that got the most air time- so of all the white guys, McCain got the most air time.

Also lolPhil for voting for someone with Sarah Palin as their VP candidate.

lol people voting for a guy that was born in Kenya.

• Upvote 2

Pretty faulty logic there.

Bush got 8 years to fuck us, so let's take 8 years of Obama fucking us.

Awesome.

Never said it was sound logic, never said it was logical at all. I just said that is what I was doing and gave my justification. I only need to justify my choices in my own mind. I couldn't give more than half a fuck what people think of them.

Never said it was sound logic, never said it was logical at all. I just said that is what I was doing and gave my justification. I only need to justify my choices in my own mind. I couldn't give more than half a fuck what people think of them.

You sum up everything that is wrong with the voters of America. "I don't care what people think and I don't need to justify my admittedly illogical choices, I just do them."

Yeah how about just not bother voting and letting people who actually know what their doing handle it.

^ That's just as bad of an idea... how many people actually know what they're doing, and how do you even judge that? If we said "only let people who know what they are doing" vote, then the numbers would go down to putrid levels even more than they already are. What we actually need is people who know what they're doing to persuade other people to vote for Ron Paul. ;)

You sum up everything that is wrong with the voters of America. "I don't care what people think and I don't need to justify my admittedly illogical choices, I just do them."

Yeah how about just not bother voting and letting people who actually know what their doing handle it.

Just because you think you know what you're doing doesn't mean you actually do.

• Upvote 2

By "know what they're doing" i mean have an opinion backed up by something that's actually logical rather than voting on a completely misinformed stance. I don't care if an opinion is different, but have a reason to have it other than "I know it's not logical but I don't care."

And I don't think less voters would necessarily be a bad thing considering the reasoning so many give for voting for someone. Do we really want the people who voted for Obama just because he's black to be American voters in the future? Or how about the ones that said they were because they thought he would hand out cheap gas?

Idiots should be treated the same way we treat felons voting rights, they don't fucking get to.

Edited by Shotgun

By "know what they're doing" i mean have an opinion backed up by something that's actually logical rather than voting on a completely misinformed stance. I don't care if an opinion is different, but have a reason to have it other than "I know it's not logical but I don't care."

And I don't think less voters would necessarily be a bad thing considering the reasoning so many give for voting for someone. Do we really want the people who voted for Obama just because he's black to be American voters in the future? Or how about the ones that said they were because they thought he would hand out cheap gas?

Idiots should be treated the same way we treat felons voting rights, they don't fucking get to.

On a hypothetical level, I agree with you.

If you honestly have no clue what's going on and don't care about politics, then yeah, I'd rather you not vote. It cancels out an informed vote.

On a practical level, I don't see any way of implementing this that wouldn't be absolutely rife for abuse.

^ That's just as bad of an idea... how many people actually know what they're doing, and how do you even judge that? If we said "only let people who know what they are doing" vote, then the numbers would go down to putrid levels even more than they already are. What we actually need is people who know what they're doing to persuade other people to vote for Ron Paul. ;)

This is exceptionally hard to do when at least half of the voters just take whatever they hear on the news as the gospel truth. My grandmother is convinced that Obama is a Muslim because she watches Fox News, and "some good-looking gentleman" said he was. The older generation completely does not understand that the news media tells a lot of lies and over-exaggerations. They only watch the news to re-confirm their own beliefs. If they're Republican and the media runs a story that smears a Democrat, then they believe its true, 100%. They're too naive.

The younger generation believes everything they hear or rather read, on the internet. So if the media online talks about how Ron Paul doesn't have a chance for the entirety of the primary, just beating it into people's brains, then enough people believe that and subconsciously cross him off, then he really does have no chance of winning, because they don't even look at him as a candidate because "the media said he has no chance." The media decides which two or three candidates we get to vote on. They have far too much influence- but they only have that much influence because of idiots or naive people, that will believe whatever they say.

Edited by Thanatos19

It is the one civic duty that I actually enjoy. If I didn't vote, I would never feel right about bitching when shit goes bad.

Just because you think you know what you're doing doesn't mean you actually do.

O2pBe.gif

Do we really want the people who voted for Obama just because he's black to be American voters in the future?

Show me your statistics on this please. Who were voting him because he was black? Maybe a VERY VERY SMALL portion of black people. Most black people have voted democrat which is what Obama was so yeah, the majority of black people voted for the democratic candidate. Lots of people vote on party lies. Part of what's fucked up about the country sure but I guarantee a ton more people voted for Obama because he was democrat than the color of his skin.

And to be completely honest the only people casting a legit vote are the electoral college. And they are not bound to listen to what their area wants for them to vote for.

Show me your statistics on this please. Who were voting him because he was black? Maybe a VERY VERY SMALL portion of black people. Most black people have voted democrat which is what Obama was so yeah, the majority of black people voted for the democratic candidate. Lots of people vote on party lies. Part of what's fucked up about the country sure but I guarantee a ton more people voted for Obama because he was democrat than the color of his skin.

And to be completely honest the only people casting a legit vote are the electoral college. And they are not bound to listen to what their area wants for them to vote for.

Oh, come the fuck on, Ricky. Really?

TONS of people voted for him for him because he was black and they wanted to see history made. C'mon, you don't remember the buzz in 2008? ''LET'S GO VOTE FOR OBAMA... FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT IN HISTORY!!!!!11111''. Skin color was a much bigger factor than his party. Don't kid yourself, Ricky.

Guest Phailadelphia

Big deal. For every person voting for him because he's black, there was probably another NOT voting for him because he's black.

Oh, come the fuck on, Ricky. Really?

TONS of people voted for him for him because he was black and they wanted to see history made. C'mon, you don't remember the buzz in 2008? ''LET'S GO VOTE FOR OBAMA... FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT IN HISTORY!!!!!11111''. Skin color was a much bigger factor than his party. Don't kid yourself, Ricky.

Look at the percentage of blacks who voted for Clinton, Gore, and Kerry and I guarantee you it won't be far off from Obama.

Most of the people saying that shit were fucking high schoolers anyways. I'm not denying it happened but everyone blows it wayyyyy out of proportion. I'm sure just as many people voted for McCain because he was white.

I'm sure just as many people voted for McCain because he was white.

Not even close lol. Yeah, there were plenty of people that voted McCain because he was white, but those votes were definitely outnumbered by a wide margin of people that voted Obama because he was black.

It's not so much the percentage (although yes, it was greater for Obama then say Kerry)... It's more about how many blacks Obama actually got to get up and go vote.

And also not saying that's a good or bad thing. Just stating matter of factly.

Are you guys really arguing over demographic statistics that neither of you have? You're just posturing.

Are you guys really arguing over demographic statistics that neither of you have? You're just posturing.

Obama won 96% of the the black vote.

Kerry won 88%

Gore won 90%

Black Voter Turnout (in terms of % of total vote)

00 - 11.5%

04 - 11.0%

08 - 12.1%

Percent of Votes Amongst Eligible Blacks

04 - 60.3%

08 - 65.2%

(don't have 2000)

It's also worth noting that the hispanic vote, while primarily democratic, really swayed away from Kerry in 04 (even though he still had the majority of the hispanic vote). Obama was able to regain that swing over McCain that Bush had over Kerry, which arguably won him (Bush) the election.

Edited by Favre4Ever

It is true that the general voter is the problem in our country. I honestly feel like there should be some sort of pre-vote aptitude test with basic true/false questions like:

Barack Obama's birth certificate is a fraud. If you answer true, you aren't allowed to vote.

Mitt Romney is immoral because he's Mormon. If you answer true, you aren't allowed to vote.

Things of this nature, that lead to incredibly stupid people casting a vote, could be completely eliminated if we posed some sort of pre-vote test that guaged whether or not the citizen was politically knowledgeable enough to vote.

and I'm serious. The mass amount of dumb voters wins elections.

Thank goodness there is someone who is 100% capable of determining what is an ok opinion to have and we can guarantee wouldn't let his own personal biases influence the voter base. He can determine the questions on this test.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

It is true that the general voter is the problem in our country. I honestly feel like there should be some sort of pre-vote aptitude test with basic true/false questions like:

Barack Obama's birth certificate is a fraud. If you answer true, you aren't allowed to vote.

Mitt Romney is immoral because he's Mormon. If you answer true, you aren't allowed to vote.

Things of this nature, that lead to incredibly stupid people casting a vote, could be completely eliminated if we posed some sort of pre-vote test that guaged whether or not the citizen was politically knowledgeable enough to vote.

and I'm serious. The mass amount of dumb voters wins elections.

So basically you're saying we shouldn't let anyone from Mississippi vote?

• Upvote 1

Thank goodness there is someone who is 100% capable of determining what is an ok opinion to have and we can guarantee wouldn't let his own personal biases influence the voter base. He can determine the questions on this test.

Oh, as if you think it's OK to think that Barack Obama's birth certificate is a fraud and that Mitt Romney is immoral because he's Mormon. Come the fuck on, kid.

So basically you're saying we shouldn't let anyone from Mississippi vote?

No, I just think this country would be much better off if inbred hyper-conservatives and financially irresponsible hyper-liberals couldn't vote.