Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Claiborne wants to play offense for Cowboys

Per Rotoworld.com:

Cowboys No. 6 overall pick Morris Claiborne indicated that he hopes to play some offense in Dallas, in addition to his cornerback duties.

Claiborne was recruited to LSU as a receiver before switching to corner during fall camp of his freshman year. "I would love to be a two-way player," he said. Claiborne also wants to return kickoffs, a role in which he excelled at LSU. In 2011, Claiborne averaged 25.1 yards per kick return with a 99-yard score. May 2 - 1:09 PM

Source: Dallas Morning News

Cowboys would be dump to let him do that. They don't need him on offense, they need him taking receivers out of the game on defense.

I doubt it happens. No team is going to increase the risk of a potential star defensive player by giving him extra snaps on offense. I wouldn't even put him in on kick returns, they have enough fast guys to handle that. Of course if they have injuries to WR's like they did last year it's something to think about ala Deion.

Edited by Shotgun

PLEASE DALLAS,play him on offense, play him on KR/PR. Claiborne WILL be bust. This dude has to be as close as it gets to being Legally retarded. Anyone ever see that movie with Johnny Knoxville where he pretends to be retarded so he can win the special olympics? Well the retarded sprinter he goes against=Claiborne.I can't wait to watch this fool and his fucking retard soon to be partner in crime, Diva Dez ruin the Cowboys from the inside out while simultaneously also watching Tony Romo CRUMBLE under pressure BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there's no reason why it shouldn't be an option. If you can have him play 5-10 snaps on offense, 5-10 snaps on special teams and every snap on defense you have a mutli talented threat who would be able to help the Cowboys in every facet. Sure the Cowboys have some good receivers, but Claiborne just gives you that extra threat you want your offense to have.

I think there's no reason why it shouldn't be an option. If you can have him play 5-10 snaps on offense, 5-10 snaps on special teams and every snap on defense you have a mutli talented threat who would be able to help the Cowboys in every facet. Sure the Cowboys have some good receivers, but Claiborne just gives you that extra threat you want your offense to have.

The Bears converted Hester from CB to WR and even as arguably the greatest return man in the history of the game has never and will never be a good WR. I see no point in it. This isn't 1935, you can't be a two way player in the NFL unless you play for the Patriots. lol

I like the ambition but let's see how he does in Rob Ryan's defense first.

The Bears converted Hester from CB to WR and even as arguably the greatest return man in the history of the game has never and will never be a good WR. I see no point in it. This isn't 1935, you can't be a two way player in the NFL unless you play for the Patriots. lol

The difference is Hester played corner even worse than wide receiver.

It would be stupid to play him on both sides if the ball. His chances of doing well as a corner are sky high, why lower those chances by putting him on offense as well? Offense amd defense are trip completely different sets if terminology in term of playbooks, not to mention the already huge jump from NCAA to the NFL. Don't put your players, especially high caliber/high ceiling players, in positions to fail.

He wants to learn two playbooks? He sounded damn near retarded during that awkward "yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir" draft day phone call, and he got a 4 on his wonderlic.

A frustrated Rob Ryan on day 3 of OTA's: "Okay dipshit. Just run with the fast guy and don't let him catch anything."

• Downvote 5

lol @ using Wonderlic scores as a measure of intelligence.

Studies have been done on the Wonderlic. It's not perfect, but it's actually a pretty good measure of intelligence. That's why more than just the NFL use it.

Problem is it can't really be used for people with reading disorders. Although whether he has a reading disorder because he's dyslexic or whether he's just an idiot and no one ever made him read is another issue. According to him he read through the Wonderlic, didn't see any football related questions, and then blew it all off.

I don't think it has an indication on whether he'll be a good player though. Even dumb people can become good at something through repetition, which he's had plenty of. Learning a playbook is another story though. That actually does take some level of intelligence. Some people have in the past struggled with learning them while others pick them up quickly. Part of the problem is that intelligence is partly linked with memory, so if you aren't that smart you probably don't have a good memory, and you're most likely going to have a hard time memorizing a large playbook. That's why people are a lot more concerned with QB scores. It's also why you may see some receivers only running a few different routes their first year or two.

So this is why he got a four on the Wonderlic!

Except he didn't even try on the Wonderlic..

"I mean, I looked on the test and wasn't nothing on the test that came with football, so I pretty much blew the test off,"

Except he didn't even try on the Wonderlic..

That's even worse if you ask me. Before he had the excuse of a reading disorder. Him not even bothering to try on a test potential employers ask him to take brings into question more than just his retained knowledge.

Edited by Shotgun

Guest Phailadelphia

That's even worse if you ask me. Before he had the excuse of a reading disorder. Him not even bothering to try on a test potential employers ask him to take brings into question more than just his retained knowledge.

He also said every team he talked to prior to the draft said they don't care about the Wonderlic test. Dan Marino had a god awful score but I don't see anyone questing his intelligence or "retained knowledge."

Nah.

He also said every team he talked to prior to the draft said they don't care about the Wonderlic test. Dan Marino had a god awful score but I don't see anyone questing his intelligence or "retained knowledge."

It wasn't "God awful." Marino scored a 16, not a 4. While it's still low you can always find exceptions to pretty much everything, so pointing out 1 good QB with a low wonderlic score and far above average throwing ability doesn't prove anything. I think I made it pretty clear you can be a little less intelligent than others but be better at a sport like football based on athletics and experience. The Wonderlic they take does not measure problem solving and logics nor does it measure how quickly someone can think, all things a QB needs. And who's to say Marino didn't take a bit longer and give a bit more effort to learn an NFL playbook?

There's been studies on the wonderlic proving it's association with overall intellectual functioning. Some teams saying they don't care about the Wonderlic doesn't mean he shouldn't have tried. I question whether or not it's even true more than a couple scouts said that to him.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying a low IQ score indicates how good someone will be at football. I'm saying it's a good, but not iron clad indication of how well someone might be able to learn a playbook based on the fact that more often than not people with low IQ's don't have great memories. Saying it doesn't measure intelligence when there's more than enough evidence to the contrary is just plain ignorant. But I've argued more than enough with you two blind Cowboy fans to know you'll disagree with anything that might seem like a slight to one of your precious players.

They did a study on the wonderlic, and they found no correlation between it and a good football player, EXCEPT at Tight End and Cornerback. There was a weak negative correlation there, the worse those players did on the wonderlic, the better they were. I found that interesting. A number 1 corner just has to know how to stop his man, that's not intelligence so much as it is instincts and reactions.

He'd probably be terrible on offense, I just want more two way players.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I think I made it pretty clear you can be a little less intelligent than others but be better at a sport like football based on athletics and experience. The Wonderlic they take does not measure problem solving and logics nor does it measure how quickly someone can think, all things a QB needs. And who's to say Marino didn't take a bit longer and give a bit more effort to learn an NFL playbook?

You're punching holes in your own argument lol

They did a study on the wonderlic, and they found no correlation between it and a good football player, EXCEPT at Tight End and Cornerback. There was a weak negative correlation there, the worse those players did on the wonderlic, the better they were. I found that interesting. A number 1 corner just has to know how to stop his man, that's not intelligence so much as it is instincts and reactions.

He'd probably be terrible on offense, I just want more two way players.

:clap:

You're punching holes in your own argument lol

:clap:

If that's punching a hole in my argument then you're confused on what my argument is. My argument is that intelligence can be measured by the Wonderlic, when you basically said it can't. I never once said that it is an indicator whether or not someone would be a good football player, but it might indicate how fast they can memorize a large playbook (which is the main reason they use it). Like Razor said as a man-to-man cover CB him memorizing a playbook isn't so important, but if he wants to play WR it will be.

Derp.

Edited by Shotgun

PLEASE DALLAS,play him on offense, play him on KR/PR. Claiborne WILL be bust. This dude has to be as close as it gets to being Legally retarded. Anyone ever see that movie with Johnny Knoxville where he pretends to be retarded so he can win the special olympics? Well the retarded sprinter he goes against=Claiborne.I can't wait to watch this fool and his fucking retard soon to be partner in crime, Diva Dez ruin the Cowboys from the inside out while simultaneously also watching Tony Romo CRUMBLE under pressure BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ringer.

It is a measure of intelligence..it just doesn't matter a whole lot.

No matter how low a player scores on it and how retarded they are, they can still succeed.

It's more "lol @ using the Wonderlic scores as a measure of potential future success".

Edit - I can't figure out how to double quote messages...why doesn't clicking the "multi quote" work for me?

Edited by badgers

Edit - I can't figure out how to double quote messages...why doesn't clicking the "multi quote" work for me?

For multi-quote you click on all the posts you want to quote and then hit "Add Reply."

If by double quote you mean this:

Example

Example

You just cut/paste one quote inside of the other. I don't know if there's an easier way.

If I ever see Claiborne at an autograph signing I'll ask him how the windows taste on the short bus.

• Upvote 1