SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

Hurt Locker , Avatar and Bastards, finally agreeing on these lol

Have you seen the Book of Eli, Stevo?

Have you seen the Book of Eli, Stevo?

Yeah, and I wasn't a big fan of it. Thought the ending was ridiculous. Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis was a nice combination, though.

Gladiator_ver1.jpg

"This is filmmaking on a grand scale."

–James Berardinelli, ReelViews

Big-budget filmmaking is typically used to create extravagant settings, usually in the distant past or distant future. In the case of Gladiator (2000), its $100 million budget helped recreate ancient Rome, a historical setting of great fascination. Director Ridley Scott takes a powerful revenge story, infuses it with elements of a political thriller, and sets it against the backdrop of the Roman Empire to create a historical epic of grand scale.

Russell Crowe brings a compelling intensity to the lead role of Maximus and carries it throughout the entire film. Crowe’s Oscar was well deserved, and he has a talented cast around him, not least of all Phoenix, who creates an antagonist as compelling and vile as one must be in a revenge story. The film features exquisite costumes and brilliant set pieces that establish the historical setting extremely well. Generating authenticity from historical settings is tricky business, but Gladiator does a good enough job to please film critics and history buffs alike.

Gladiator’s fault as a film may be that it is too ambitious. With a running time of 155 minutes, a sprawling epic like Gladiator can’t help but feel a bit long. For all its spectacle, the thirteen-minute battle scene at the film’s opening does nothing to accelerate or address the plot. In fact, the first significant plot event does not occur for twenty-eight minutes. For its length, however, the film is still well paced. It may take some time to get the plot going, but that time is used effectively to develop the characters and setting.

Ancient Rome has to be one of the most fascinating historical settings to study, and from a filmmaking standpoint, Scott immerses us in its world. Never mind that its fiction; we’re not watching a documentary. At the end of the film, we must ask ourselves: are we not entertained? Like Maximus, Gladiator wins the crowd.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

39) Nicholas Stoller's Forgetting Sarah Marshall

38) Judd Apatow's Knocked Up

37) Peter Berg's Friday Night Lights

36) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

35) Jonathan Levine's 50/50

34) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

33) David Fincher's Zodiac

32) M. Night Shyamalan's Signs

31) Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive

30) James McTeigue's V for Vendetta

29) Ridley Scott's American Gangster

28) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

26) Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds

25) Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker

24) Ridley Scott's Gladiator

19/27 if you count movies I saw part of and never finished due to the fact that I fell asleep (King Kong was shit, Tropic Thunder I was already tired during, need to finish).

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

05f.jpeg
  • Upvote 1

Gladiator is REALLY low... I am disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Book Of Eli was good. Id put that in the list. Gladiator was another good, havent seen it in awhile but i remember it being raw.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Gladiator is REALLY low... I am disappointed.

05f.jpeg

Gladiator is in the 21-25 range because all the movies in the top 20 lack outstanding flaws.

Man people are giving SteVo so much crap for this list.

This is his opinion. This type of field is heavily based on opinion. Of course you're going to disagree with him on some things, that's just the nature of this type of project.

I think Book of Eli is at least top-10, he doesn't like it at all and thinks it's out of the top-50.

It's fun to debate, just seems like some people are going a little far.

This is his opinion. This type of field is heavily based on opinion. Of course you're going to disagree with him on some things, that's just the nature of this type of project.

I think Book of Eli is at least top-10, he doesn't like it at all and thinks it's out of the top-50.

Stevo's a big boy. Knowing how well he knows all of us, he knew what to expect from posting this list. I try not to get too carried away myself since a top list of anything is always based on the persons personal taste/opinion.

Anyways, let the bashing continue. :p

I've never seen book of eli, but thats honestly the first good thing I've ever heard about it.

@Stevo: What about Midnight in Paris? Have you seen that one? If so, what did you think about it?

I've never seen book of eli, but thats honestly the first good thing I've ever heard about it.

Most of the film's critics don't like it because of the religious elements. The movie is brilliantly well-done, and while some of the story and allegory may be better understood by someone who's read Eli's story in the Bible, it's not gonna take away from the movie if you don't know it.

The only reason most of the negative reviews I've seen give it a negative review is because of the Christian elements. It certainly has some flaws other than that, but what movie doesn't? I submit that if they simply treat it as fiction, like you would any other movie with religious elements, such as, say, Avatar, then it would be a very enjoyable film even to someone who doesn't believe in God.

Edited by Thanatos19

That's just the nature of critiquing movies. Everyone is going to see it differently... Some people are going to catch things that others don't, etc etc.

It creates a lot of discussion and debate.. And I think Stevo knew that when he decided to make the list. :yep:

EDIT:

Make the list public****

Edited by Favre4Ever

Crash_ver2.jpg

"This is the rare American film really about something...It asks

tough questions, and lets its audience struggle with the answers."

–Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

If the movement towards racial equality in the United States had been taking steps forward since the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s, it took a big step backward after September 11. The racial tensions of America have grown deeper and more complex since then, and director/screenwriter Paul Haggis set out to explore them in Crash (2005), his directorial debut.

In bringing his characters and their stories together, Haggis creates a very powerful narrative of race and stereotypes. The film, however, is not so superficial as to be a lesson in prejudice; Haggis is not out to lecture his viewers. Crash is about much more then racial tension. The characters experience challenging racial-based conflicts and react to them in different ways. If there is one thing Haggis is after, it’s emotion, and there is a lot of it. The film is undeniably moving, sure to elicit a strong emotional response from its audience.

Haggis, however, is not without fault in his approach. His script is heavily reliant on stereotypes, and his characters seem to come from very general screenwriting archetypes. Almost every character thinks in very basic stereotypes on at least one level. Haggis counters this by the complexity of his script; the ways in which he interweaves his characters is, quite frankly, incredibly impressive. Characters intersect in ways beyond the obvious. Even the minor characters are continuously interlocking in ways viewers may not even notice. This is the type of screenplay you don’t just sit down and write; it shows exquisite planning on Haggis’ part. Through this complexity, Crash confronts the racial divides of post-9/11 America in an unremitting and powerful way.

While the repeated stereotypes may make Haggis’ foundation flawed, the sheer emotional power makes Crash worth seeing. It offers a unique take on racism and a beautifully structured example of hyperlink cinema where the stories and characters do not just intersect; they collide. They crash.

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

Hoping to see Mullholland Dr. on here.

Absolutely loved Crash. I went with my younger sister and she cried for like 10 minutes straight. Shit was deep.

I thought it was too heavy handed but a fairly powerful movie none the less.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering if Unthinkable was going to be on the list, but given we've got this far, I'm not too sure. It's in my top 20, but I'm one of the very few who feels that way about it.

Michael_clayton.jpg

"[George] Clooney looks a little worn...and he’s never

been more likable. Nor has he ever had better lines."

–David Denby, New Yorker

Here is a movie with a partially misleading title: the title character of Michael Clayton (2007) is but one piece of a complex story of characters and subplots. The events of the film do not always directly involve him; they surround him, affect him, confuse him, and force him into making difficult decisions in short periods of time. On the screen, this translates into a spellbinding, fascinating thriller highly effective in keeping its audience engrossed.

From a haunting voiceover in the opening shots of the film [see clip above], writer/director Tony Gilroy has us fully submersed in his story. He opens the film in medias res and leaves us with the perfect degree of confusion. His scenes are so ripe with details, we do not understand their significance the first time through. This is the type of film with enough depth to make the second viewing just as interesting as the first. Gilroy directed this film from his own script, and aside from having the intense pace you’d expect from the man who co-wrote the Bourne movies, Michael Clayton is sharply scripted, and Gilroy’s tight direction gives the film a very refined feel. This is a pleasant reminder that legal dramas don’t necessarily have to get bogged down in litigation and dull courtroom procedure to be effective.

Still, it might seem like Michael Clayton tries to do too much. The film manages to squeeze an awful lot into his relatively short running time, and consequently may feel a bit cluttered and hard to follow. But for all of their intricacies, Gilroy manages to tell his stories with skill, and while the plot may be hard to follow for some watching it for the first time, it is a rewarding experience for those who can keep up.

After all is said and done, for all its buildup, the final act delivers. From a screenwriting standpoint, the film’s ending is as fulfilling as one can hope for; every single subplot and character arc comes to a conclusion that is appropriate, graceful, and unexpected. This is a fitting end for a film brilliantly told from an exceptional script. We are left dazed, satisfied, and catching our breath.

23) Paul Haggis's Crash

22) Tony Gilroy's Michael Clayton

Edited by SteVo

Guest Phailadelphia

I haven't seen Michael Clayton. That looks sick.

I haven't seen Michael Clayton. That looks sick.

It's basically a John Grisham story on steroids.

Too low. :(

Can't wait to see the top 10... >.>