Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Preseason top 10 QBs (2012)

1. Aaron Rodgers: What can I say, it's impossible to withhold 45 and 6 after a Super Bowl title from the #1 spot. The guy is a statistical machine, known for efficiency and a lack of turnovers. He will carry your team with a bad defense or he'll destroy lesser opponents with ease. The guy is an absolute finisher and only last year's Giants team had any chance at knocking Green Bay out. Luckily for football fans, the Giants capitalized and took out the offensive juggernaut that was headed for a repeat.

2. Eli Manning: Yeah, I put it out there. Eli is not the lone INT troubled QB in top 5, but he is the one with the most impressive playoff track record. Winning drive after winning drive, clutch throw after clutch throw--Eli does it all, and it seems to be easy for him. Nine times out of ten, I'm disinterested in the Super Bowl wins argument for placing players above others at their position, but I've watched both of Eli's postseason runs, and he is the absolute exception to that rule.

3. Tom Brady: So many people have dropped him for poor post-season play, and I'm tempted to as well, but I don't personally think Tom was ever the greatest QB to ever play the game, like some have stated. I think he's an overachieving sixth round pick who won 3 early Super Bowls with great teams and has since fallen victim to sub-par defenses and heightened expectations that don't have any basis in realism. The NFL is a 32 team league, and the Patriots have three Super Bowls in less than fifteen years. That's an accomplishment in itself and people should stop expecting the Patriots to win it every year (not on this board, but from the outside). Tom Brady will be one of the best of his generation regardless of whether or not he gets another ring.

4. Ben Roethlisberger: Call me crazy, but I'm putting Big Ben ahead of the other INT troubled QB in the top 5, and it's because of his playoff pedigree. While I find it easy to dismiss his first Super Bowl year because he was awful in that game, he has been downright clutch in the playoffs since that time. He's a big game QB if there ever was one, and the obvious second choice for a game winning drive behind Eli Manning. Statistically, he's surprisingly pedestrian in most regular seasons, but anybody who watches him in big games knows he's a player. You got #10 and #7 as GWD options. Now tell me, why even bring any other QBs into the discussion?

5. Drew Brees: OK, I'll stop withholding the NFL's darling from this list, but my amount of respect for Drew Brees has gone down the pipe with this contract dispute and the bounty program. Aside from that, there are perfectly good arguments for the placings of Aaron, Eli, Tom, and Ben ahead of Brees. It's hard to argue with 34, 34, 33, and 46 (TD numbers for last four years), but let me lay out another set of numbers: 16, 15, 15, 18, 17, 22, a whopping number of interceptions plagues Drew Brees, and he can make the worst throw at the worst of times ala Brett Favre. Every quarterback has his faults, but I see Drew Brees as the 5th best QB in the league, so I'd really appreciate if he'd drop the big-time contract talk and take something reasonable for a team that he's helped build over the years. If he wants the Saints to stay good, he should take an upper tier contract, but there's no reason to be paid like the best QB when he absolutely isn't.

6. Philip Rivers: A statistical machine with a known pedigree for playing great in late season months. #17 is eventually going to get his Super Bowl chance, but San Diego has to actually start in week 1 for that to happen.

7. Tony Romo: Another statistical machine, but unlike Philip Rivers Tony has never had a #1 defense or anything even close to that. When it comes to WRs and TEs, they're practically even, but Rivers has just been better at the right times. Two more playoff wins, a conference championship game or Super Bowl appearance would push Romo ahead of Rivers for me, but Tony's gotta do it first.

8. Matt Stafford: Like Rodgers, Stafford has the potential for two straight seasons of 40+ TD passes. If he does that and neither Romo nor Rivers has a great season with a bit of a playoff run, Stafford will automatically jump to 6.

9. Matt Schaub: Injury concerns aside, Matt Schaub is an excellent QB and Houston may have been in the Super Bowl last year had he been healthy.

10. Jay Cutler: This could change after this coming season, when I expect the Bears to challenge for the NFC North and maybe even the NFC.

Looking in the window but can't find the door: Michael Vick, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan.

QBs to watch out for in 2012: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Joe Flacco, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, and Alex Smith (they all have more weapons now and excellent running games. It's time to produce).

QBs to decline: Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Moore (losing Marshall may doom his career), Kevin Kolb (Skelton takes the job by week 5, I think).

Edited by BwareDWare94

I'm just curious where you see Newton. You don't have him on the knocking on the door, or someone to watch out for, (though that may just be guys that didn't do well), or someone who is going to decline.

I completely disagree with Eli @ #2, he had one great season. He's good, but he's not #2.

Brady has played far better over the past five years than he did the previous five years, he is simply unable to singlehandedly carry his team to a Super Bowl title.

My list of top-15 would be something like

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Eli Manning

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Matt Schaub

8. Peyton Manning

9. Tony Romo

10. Matt Ryan

11. Matthew Stafford

12. Cam Newton

13. Jay Cutler

14. Michael Vick

15. Joe Flacco

Peyton is a complete guess, no one knows how he is going to be coming off of that injury.

Edited by Thanatos19

Yea, I agree that Eli is definitely not #2. I'd put him at 5 and I'd definitely have Brees over Big Ben. Other than that, it's a solid list.

since 2006

Brees 201 TDs 93 INTs

Brady 177 TDs 49 INTs (missed one season due to injury)

Eli 135 TDs 103 INTs

Ben 131 TDs 80 INTs

Just some stats to consider

Now Brady missed an entire season and still has more TDs than Ben or Eli

I know Ben doesn't throw as much as the others

I know Brees throws way more than the others yet Eli has more INTs

Just some fun stats.

Eli is 31 and is just now coming off his first consistently great NFL season. I am not saying he can't do it again, but I would like to see him repeat the performance before we get too crazy with where to put him.

I'm just curious where you see Newton. You don't have him on the knocking on the door, or someone to watch out for, (though that may just be guys that didn't do well), or someone who is going to decline.

I completely disagree with Eli @ #2, he had one great season. He's good, but he's not #2.

Brady has played far better over the past five years than he did the previous five years, he is simply unable to singlehandedly carry his team to a Super Bowl title.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Eli Manning

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Matt Schaub

8. Peyton Manning

9. Tony Romo

10. Matt Ryan

11. Matthew Stafford

12. Cam Newton

13. Jay Cutler

14. Michael Vick

15. Joe Flacco

Peyton is a complete guess, no one knows how he is going to be coming off of that injury.

Id assume Ryan is above Stafford due to Stafford being hurt most of his career right? I mean i think hes better now and when he was hurt, we were waiting for him to be "healthy" because we knew hed be good if he did. Your list looks almost how i would have it, except id move Peyton to 6th and everybody else after that moves down a spot. Stafford would be before Ryan as well.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Eli Manning

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Matt Schaub

8. Peyton Manning

9. Tony Romo

10. Matt Ryan

11. Matthew Stafford

12. Cam Newton

13. Jay Cutler

14. Michael Vick

15. Joe Flacco

Honestly, I'd have put Cam in that just out of the top 10 class. I completely spaced on him. My bad, man.

Also, I'm fine with people disagreeing about Eli. I just wanted to have one legitimate debate about placing and I really like his game and he's my #2 pick.

There is no more arguing about Matt Schaub > Tony Romo. Please refrain from putting him that high.

Matt Schaub only has two 20+ TD season with 29 as an outlier. Tony Romo only has two sub 20 TD seasons and he started only 6 games in both of them.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Id assume Ryan is above Stafford due to Stafford being hurt most of his career right? I mean i think hes better now and when he was hurt, we were waiting for him to be "healthy" because we knew hed be good if he did. Your list looks almost how i would have it, except id move Peyton to 6th and everybody else after that moves down a spot. Stafford would be before Ryan as well.

Matt Ryan has been in three playoff games that his team could have won had he actually made the plays, but he sucked. He made one of the worst playoff mistakes I've ever seen when he gave Tramon an end of half pick 6 and that was pretty much the nail in Atlanta's coffin.

Matt Stafford is already better than Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is a game manager who has a few prolific games a year. Otherwise, he's nothing special.

• Downvote 1

Ryan's been very solid the entirety of his career. I think Stafford has the potential to be the better QB, but I'm not going to put him ahead of Ryan based on one good season. They're still very close though.

And yeah, like I said, Peyton is a complete guess.

Matt Ryan has been in three playoff games that his team could have won had he actually made the plays, but he sucked. He made one of the worst playoff mistakes I've ever seen when he gave Tramon an end of half pick 6 and that was pretty much the nail in Atlanta's coffin.

Matt Stafford is already better than Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is a game manager who has a few prolific games a year. Otherwise, he's nothing special.

Not based on one season, and he's far better than a mere game manager. Ryan is a very under-rated QB. Stafford has had one good season and been injured most of the time. You seem to judge QBs too much by what they do in the postseason, (Eli, Ryan).

Also, I'm fine with people disagreeing about Eli. I just wanted to have one legitimate debate about placing and I really like his game and he's my #2 pick.

There is no more arguing about Matt Schaub > Tony Romo. Please refrain from putting him that high.

Matt Schaub only has two 20+ TD season with 29 as an outlier. Tony Romo only has two sub 20 TD seasons and he started only 6 games in both of them.

There's still plenty of arguing, lol.

If Schaub remains healthy, he and Romo are almost interchangeable. They've both had 4 straight seasons of 90+ QB rating. I do like how you point out Schaub not breaking the 20-TD mark, but then give Romo's injury as the reason why he didn't break it. Well, Schaub was also injured when he didn't break it. Both times he does stay healthy the whole season, he has very good seasons. Both times he gets injured, he doesn't break it. Schaub's concern is not about his QB play, its about whether or not he can remain healthy.

Honestly, I'd have put Cam in that just out of the top 10 class. I completely spaced on him. My bad, man.

Okay, thanks. I was just curious where you had him.

My list would go something like this:

1. Brady

May catch some flak for this but this guy still has it. Until he retires he's still the number one guy.

2. Rodgers

The man to take his place once he does.

3. Big Ben

Having watched him destroy us for several seasons I've come to almost a love hate relationship. He just does what he does and he does what he does extremely well.

4. Eli Manning

Very very impressive last season. Any season he would be top 10-15 but he deserves a higher spot after their win.

5. Drew Brees

Let's do it fah Kuhtrinuh, man. Do it fah Kuhtrinuh!

6. Rivers

7. Schaub

8. Stafford

9. The other Manning

Can't count him out, unless he's sitting out.

10. Romo/Flacco/Ryan

The average-above average guys :shifty:

1. Brady

May catch some flak for this but this guy still has it. Until he retires he's still the number one guy.

2. Rodgers

3. Big Ben

Having watched him destroy us for several seasons I've come to almost a love hate relationship. He just does what he does and he does what he does extremely well.

4. Eli Manning

Very very impressive last season. Any season he would be top 10-15 but he deserves a higher spot after their win.

5. Drew Brees

6. Rivers

7. Schaub

8. Stafford

9. The other Manning

10. Romo/Flacco/Ryan

Romo is in the 7-9 range, without question. Stafford isn't better yet. He's gotta repeat his performance to some degree (and stay healthy).

Schaub tends to make crucial mistakes in important games, so I'm always hesitant to put him above Romo and Stafford--Romo does it about once or twice a season (but that happens when damn near every game you're in is a close game). Otherwise, he usually gives his team a chance to win. We were a couple missed field goals away from a playoff birth last year, remember. He outplayed Tom Brady in New England. He had games won for us (that one, first one against the Giants, Arizona) and then the defense coughed it up.

Edited by BwareDWare94

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. Big Ben

4. Eli Manning

5. Drew Brees

6. Rivers

7. Schaub

8. Stafford

9. The other Manning

10. Romo/Flacco/Ryan

Romo is definitely better than Flacco and Ryan, and I would probably take him over Schaub and Stafford, mainly because Schaub and Stafford can't really stay healthy.

My top 10:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Eli Manning

5. Big Ben

6. Philip Rivers

7. Peyton Manning

8. Tony Romo

9. Matt Schaub

10. Matt Stafford

1. Jake Locker

2. Matt Hasselbeck

3. Rusty Smith

4. Nick Stephens

5. Jonathan CROMPDADDY

6. Blaine Gabbert

7. Tim Tebow

8. Vince Young

9. Curtis Painter

10. Derek "That's Fine" Anderson

• Upvote 1

1. Jake Locker

2. Matt Hasselbeck

3. Rusty Smith

4. Nick Stephens

5. Jonathan CROMPDADDY

6. Blaine Gabbert

7. Tim Tebow

8. Vince Young

9. Curtis Painter

10. Derek "That's Fine" Anderson

How dare you post something so ridiculous in this thread?

I TAKE THIS SHIT SERIOUSLY!

Romo is in the 7-9 range, without question.

Well I'm not to far off then.

Stafford isn't better yet. He's gotta repeat his performance to some degree (and stay healthy).

Rank assuming he plays at least par with last season.

Schaub tends to make crucial mistakes in important games, so I'm always hesitant to put him above Romo and Stafford.

I tend to think Schaub is a tad underrated. In 2009 he led the league in attempts, completions, passing yards , and Touchdown throws ahead of guys like Peyton, Romo, Rodgers, and Brees. His only downside is injuries. His first two seasons shortened and last years of course. If he can stay healthy, the Texans are a team to beat.

• Upvote 2

Eli is a bit high since this was his first great season. Romo definitely deserves to be in the top 10, and I would place him 7th behind Rivers, Eli and Ben. Schaub has been consistent and prolific, should be 8 or 9, Ryan and Cutler would round out my top 10. Stafford and Newton both need another good season before I can consider them top 10 level, and Joe Flacco needs a new offensive coordinator.

• Upvote 1

Eli is a bit high since this was his first great season. Romo definitely deserves to be in the top 10, and I would place him 7th behind Rivers, Eli and Ben. Schaub has been consistent and prolific, should be 8 or 9, Ryan and Cutler would round out my top 10. Stafford and Newton both need another good season before I can consider them top 10 level, and Joe Flacco needs a new offensive coordinator.

Agreed on Flacco. I think he's a real OC away from taking the next step. Cam Cameron is worse than Bruce Arians.

Agreed on Flacco. I think he's a real OC away from taking the next step. Cam Cameron is worse than Bruce Arians.

Fucking thank you. I have said this for three fucking years. Joe Flacco is not a bad QB I repeat not a bad QB, we just do not know if he is good yet either because he is set up to ffail from the start. CaMORON is the dumbest and foulest piece of shit in the NFL next to that other douche. And thanks to our pussy ass HC who apparently burns the midnight oil burning rubber in CAmerons rectum we are going to be stuck with this asshole. Thankfully the Owner has put it on notice that their fates are intertwined after Harbs stuck his neck out and fought to bring him back.

Eli's two postseason runs and 25 GWDs and 21 4QC's put him at #2 for me because he's quite a bit younger than both Brady and Brees, and I expect him to surpass their numbers because he's more clutch than both of them. The only similarity to Brees is the INTs, and unlike Tom Brady, Eli shows up in the playoffs.

I put Stafford in my top 10 instead of Ryan because Ryan has played like dogshit in all 3 of his postseason games. Atlanta fans love to blame their defense and well, anybody but Matt Ryan, but the truth is the truth, in my books.

Jay Cutler's flashes of brilliance are practically un-mirrored in the NFL. I'm excited for his future now that he has weapons. I expect him to compete with both Rodgers and Stafford statistically, even with a much better and much more used running game.

Romo is the 7th best QB in the league, so we agree there, and I've already said I agree on Flacco. You give Joe a real OC and he's definitely a 20-30 TDs a year kind of player.

Jay Cutler's flashes of brilliance are practically un-mirrored in the NFL. I'm excited for his future now that he has weapons. I expect him to compete with both Rodgers and Stafford statistically, even with a much better and much more used running game.

You expect him to have by far the best year of his career with a fringe top 10 receiver, and a #2 being a rookie receiver? With that Oline?

You expect him to have by far the best year of his career with a fringe top 10 receiver, and a #2 being a rookie receiver? With that Oline?

He won't have the best season of his career but he'll improve a lot with the addition of Marshall and Jeffery..

You've seen how well Cutler to Marshall has worked in the past...

Not too mention "that O-line" doesn't have a Mike Martz offense to struggle with anymore. I think with Martz gone that Cutler and the o-line will get alot better than what they seemed in the past.

He won't have the best season of his career but he'll improve a lot with the addition of Marshall and Jeffery..

I mean... I don't disagree that he should play better... But competing A-Rod's production?