Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Who's going to be this year's Dark Horse?

it's rare that a 'dark horse' team is someone that truly nobody sees coming, it's tough to find much because most people aren't making predictions right now (either already have and the archive is tough to find or will be making picks as the preseason starts) but the best prediction I've seen is 8-8 and while most people are saying the top of the division isn't out of reach for them, most are expecting them to finish last or close to it

I mean, shouldn't saying a team is a dark horse kinda be, a bold prediction?

How many people would of thought the Bengals would make the playoffs after they went 4-12 the past season? In that division. That to me is a dark horse, a team that makes subtle moves, and you believe based on how their offseason went, etc, they have a chance of surprising people, and aren't getting as noticed.

Not a team that barely missed the playoffs, and almost everyone seems set that they are probably the most likely to make the playoffs from their own division.

I see a Dark Horse team as a team that doesn't have a great chance to go to the playoffs. KC has 50/1 Vegas odds and has Matt Cassel as a QB. That is a Dark Horse. A good formula for picking a dark horse is to be informed, understand progression of impact players, injury concerns, etc.

You have Denver who went to the playoffs with Tebow and now has Peyton Manning and the Chargers (Who is a pretty good team) in that division. I don't know how you can not call it a long shot for the Chiefs to make the playoffs.

I don't know what you want us to do? Pick a team at random that has no chance at winning a title just so we can match your description of a dark horse?

:Browns: v :Vikings:

Well, it's my opinion and this is a forum. lol.

It has nothing to do with choosing random teams that have no shot at winning a title. It has to do with choosing two teams that nobody seems to be talking about that could go all the way. And seeing how the Chiefs have been bought up on numerous threads, sites, and analysts now about probably making the playoffs, I personally don't see how they fall in that category.

:shrug:

How many people would of thought the Bengals would make the playoffs after they went 4-12 the past season? In that division. That to me is a dark horse, a team that makes subtle moves, and you believe based on how their offseason went, etc, they have a chance of surprising people, and aren't getting as noticed.

The Bengals swept the division the year before and made the playoffs. They were looking pretty good after acquiring AJ Green and the Ginger and had a top notch defense. Lots of people were high on them. Per your definition, that doesn't meet the specifications of a Dark Horse.

Well, it's my opinion and this is a forum. lol.

And yet you're on our backs for stating our opinion on KC being a dark horse. Damn you and your logic :D.

I'm gonna go with that team from the AFC West, but not the one everyone else has said. :Raiders:

That divsion is really up in the air. They do have their work cut out for them. Tough schedule, new coach, and a relatively new owner. I could see an 8-8 season for them maybe even more. Hoping McFadden stays healthy and their WR's step up. Is 8-8 good enough for a playoff spot? Probably not but we've seen stranger things happen. (peers in the Seahawks direction.) I have really no confidence in Matt Cassel and just can't choose the Chiefs. Chargers coming off a disappointing season and who knows with the Broncos. Suspect division to say the least.

As for the NFC...

:Seahawks: For reasons stated by others earlier...

Edited by Barracuda

And yet you're on our backs for stating our opinion on KC being a dark horse. Damn you and your logic :D.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna argue with you as to why your opinion may or may not be valid...

I agree with Dmac here. The Chiefs have gotten so much hype from the NFL fanbase and some media outlets that it's almost made them overrated. In addition, they just won the division in 2010, and probably would have last year if they didn't have so many injuries. So really, it's tough to view them as a dark horse.

Teams like the Titans, Raiders, and Seahawks are legitimate dark horse options.

why are people questioning the Chiefs as a darkhorse but letting mentions of the Titans go without response or even listing the Titans instead of the Chiefs? last year the Titans missed the playoffs by a tiebreaker with a young team and the only major loss was Finnegan, which is hardly a backbreaking loss, as long as they can keep their collective head on straight and win the games their supposed to, you know, not losing games to the Jaguars and Colts, they're probably frontrunners for one of the AFC wildcard spots

• Upvote 1

Just change "darkhorse" to "non playoff team to make the playoffs."

My NFC dark horse is an easy pick, it's a team I've had a feeling about for awhile now, and it's a team that has gotten a lot of mentions in this thread: the Seahawks. That defense is downright nasty, and a decent season from Matt Flynn could get them a wild card spot--possibly a division title if San Francisco takes a step backward. We've seen crazier things happen in the NFC West.

As for the AFC, I'm gonna agree with DMac that the Chiefs shouldn't be considered a dark horse since I think we all realize how much talent they have. I also agree with oochy that the Titans shouldn't be considered, even though I really want to pick them since everybody has just assumed the Texans will run over the AFC South. So, by these standards, there aren't many teams left, so I'll get creative and say...the Jets (credit to Sarge for suggesting them first). If they can overcome Tebowmania and return that defense to dominant form, they can get their swagger back and compete in the AFC East.

The NFC is certainly a more interesting conference to project this for, since the AFC has a ton of "depth," per se, while the NFC has more dominant teams but a much more intriguing wild card picture.

The Bengals swept the division the year before and made the playoffs. They were looking pretty good after acquiring AJ Green and the Ginger and had a top notch defense. Lots of people were high on them. Per your definition, that doesn't meet the specifications of a Dark Horse.

The Bengals were 4-12 in 2010. In 2009 they swept the division and won the AFC North title, as you said. But because they were 4-12 in 2010, projecting them to improve so much that they would make the playoffs is pretty much Dmac's definition of a dark horse.

I recall no one talking up the Bengals as if they were going to make the playoffs. Not in their division.

Speaking of the Bengals, I'm surprised nobody is expecting them to get better. They went out in the draft and got some real good players. I think that offensive line could get better and I think Mohammed Sanu is going to add to an already pretty good group of receiving weapons.

Speaking of the Bengals, I'm surprised nobody is expecting them to get better. They went out in the draft and got some real good players. I think that offensive line could get better and I think Mohammed Sanu is going to add to an already pretty good group of receiving weapons.

They are in one hell of a tough division and both Pitt and Baltimore got better, IMO, assuming Pitt gets Wallace back. Last year I don't think Cincy beat a single team over .500, they just had a really nice schedule.

I do think Dalton will improve and AJ Green will improve, but I'm not sold that the Bengals are going to make the playoffs this year. In fact, I rather doubt it.

Oakland: With so many people talking Chiefs, Chargers, and Peyton.. they're easily the dark horse in a division that is really up in the air.

Carolina: Only the Saints get truly recognized in the NFCS so I suppose any of the other three could be considered dark horses. But I feel Carolina has the best chance to raise eyebrows.

I don't think either of these will make it to the Super Bowl, but they'll make it farther than what most expect from them.

My NFC dark horse is an easy pick, it's a team I've had a feeling about for awhile now, and it's a team that has gotten a lot of mentions in this thread: the Seahawks. That defense is downright nasty, and a decent season from Matt Flynn could get them a wild card spot--possibly a division title if San Francisco takes a step backward. We've seen crazier things happen in the NFC West.

As for the AFC, I'm gonna agree with DMac that the Chiefs shouldn't be considered a dark horse since I think we all realize how much talent they have. I also agree with oochy that the Titans shouldn't be considered, even though I really want to pick them since everybody has just assumed the Texans will run over the AFC South. So, by these standards, there aren't many teams left, so I'll get creative and say...the Jets (credit to Sarge for suggesting them first). If they can overcome Tebowmania and return that defense to dominant form, they can get their swagger back and compete in the AFC East.

The NFC is certainly a more interesting conference to project this for, since the AFC has a ton of "depth," per se, while the NFC has more dominant teams but a much more intriguing wild card picture.

All reports from camp are that the D will be for sure top 5. I mean, they are just making it hell on the QBs. Gonna make it a lot easier for whoever wins the starting job.

NFC Darkhorses: :Seahawks: and :panthers:

AFC Darkhorses: :Bills: and :Chiefs:

They are in one hell of a tough division and both Pitt and Baltimore got better, IMO, assuming Pitt gets Wallace back. Last year I don't think Cincy beat a single team over .500, they just had a really nice schedule.

I do think Dalton will improve and AJ Green will improve, but I'm not sold that the Bengals are going to make the playoffs this year. In fact, I rather doubt it.

I don't know about the rest of the Bengals' schedule last year, but they did beat the Titans who finished 9-7, that's why the Bengals got the second wild card spot over us

Can somebody defend the Chiefs a little better? They lost their corner and didn't really make any big splashes other than Dontari Poe. At the most, they'll get 8-8 and a first round exit.

Can somebody defend the Chiefs a little better? They lost their corner and didn't really make any big splashes other than Dontari Poe. At the most, they'll get 8-8 and a first round exit.

They signed Stanford Routt who is pretty solid. They also signed Peyton Hillis.

they're also getting Charles, Moeaki, and Berry all back from IR which will undoubtedly give them a boost

Their QB still sucks, unlike in 2010 where they had a rather easy schedule this season is not so much the case, Bowe is still not practicing. They lost a pretty good corner and replaced him with an average to below average replacement.

They may have a great running game but, but the QBs in that division have had led some explosive offenses in the past, even last year with Rivers playing as bad as he did sometimes they still had a pretty explosive offense. Are the Chiefs gonna be able to hang with those teams?

(I personally am high on KC myself, so its not like I don't think they can win he division, I'm just playing devil's advocate).

Kyle Orton is the starter right?

Orton is going to be the backup in Dallas this year, Matt Cassel will be back starting this year

Orton is going to be the backup in Dallas this year, Matt Cassel will be back starting this year

Damn its been that long since football was on.. lol Cassel? IDK if the run game picks back where it did before Charles got hurt they have a shot.

The 2011 Bengals remind me a lot of the 2010 Bucs. Expected to be horrible, but a lot of rookies/young players step up and take advantage of a weak schedule. Only difference is, things played out for Cincy to end up with a playoff game. I expect a decline from them like the 2011 Bucs, but not as bad obviously.

I'm starting to agree about the Chiefs getting too much attention to really be a dark horse, so I'll switch my AFC pick to the Bills, I don't expect them to win their division (they are still in the same division as the Pats) but if Fitzpatrick plays as well as he's capable of they could get a wild card