Sign in to follow this  
badgers

Report: Cedric Benson to sign with GB

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that free agent Cedric Benson is currently in Green Bay and expected to sign with the Packers.

It's a shrewd move by a shrewd organization. Benson isn't going to average more than four yards a pop on his 29-year-old legs, but he can still move the chains, get what's blocked, and stay healthy. He's a durable, workmanlike player at this stage of his career, which is really all the Packers need in an offense that creates running lanes with a lethal passing attack. James Starks has struggled mightily in camp and the preseason opener, and Alex Green is coming off an ACL tear. Benson isn't more than a mid-range RB3 and lacks passing-game ability, but he's now the fantasy back to own in Green Bay. Just expect little to no upside.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter Aug 10 - 6:19 PM

5yvj8o.gif

We must REALLY not like what we see in Starks.

I think it will be a good signing for the Packers. Ced can still push the pile, and they could really use a back like him in short yardage situations while the opposing defenses are still scared of the pass attack.

I'm partial about this signing. Benson could help this team as Starks has played like shit recently, but why did no one sign him this offseason? I'll be watching him if the Packers do sign him.

Uh.... Ryan Grant has more upside than this guy. Boooo. But it also says a lot about our RB situation... Like... It's non-existent.

Having Aaron Rodgers at QB is kinda like a running game :shrug:

Uh.... Ryan Grant has more upside than this guy. Boooo. But it also says a lot about our RB situation... Like... It's non-existent.

Only thing I can think of is that Starks is bombing but they want to see what Alex Green has got when he returns to full fitness. I like the fact that we signed Benson and when he is running behind Kuhn it has the potential to be nasty.

We just need a guy to be physical and pound the rock. Seems like Benson is a guy who can do that. I hope he doesn't completely suck.

James Starks apparently has turf toe and is listed as week to week. Explains the Benson signing... kind of. Still wish we would have gotten Ryan Grant instead. A better back who already knows our system.

Anyone who knows Benson better than I, how are his blocking and receiving abilities?

Anyone who knows Benson better than I, how are his blocking and receiving abilities?

From what I've heard, Benson is good at pass protection but isn't a good receiving back. Hopefully Green or Saine can stay healthy and be our primary receiving/change of pace back.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

That might be part of the reason then... Grant doesn't block well, or at all.

It wasn't good but it was better than anybody we have now, except Kuhn. All I know is that when Grant was blocking, fewer people got to Rodgers than with any of our other RBs during his career with us.

Also this signing isn't official...it's just probable.

Edited by badgers

Benson seems to be one of the most average running backs I've seen in a while. Nothing really special to me about him IMO, doesn't do anything exceptionally well and isn't a target in the passing game out of the backfield...so if this signing happens...lol

Hang on a second, JD. Benson is still an effective runner, and I expect him to get the bulk of your carries, if not right away, by the mid part of the season. He played very well in Cincy for several years and I've been surprised by how long it took him to find a job. It's probably smart not to expect much, but don't sleep on him entirely.

Hang on a second, JD. Benson is still an effective runner, and I expect him to get the bulk of your carries, if not right away, by the mid part of the season. He played very well in Cincy for several years and I've been surprised by how long it took him to find a job. It's probably smart not to expect much, but don't sleep on him entirely.

We will see. You have to think there is a reason he is still a free agent.

We will see. You have to think there is a reason he is still a free agent.

But I don't. He's had three consecutive 1000 yard seasons (I believe). You don't just go from productive to shit. I was surprised Oakland didn't sign him (a decision they'll regret when Darren McFadden breaks his femur or some other odd bone in his body by week 4).

He's not going to get you 1500 yards or anything, but both Grant and Starks had injury issues, and Starks is horribly inconsistent, it seems. It's not like Ced has to fight off an established #1 or anything.

But I don't. He's had three consecutive 1000 yard seasons (I believe). You don't just go from productive to shit. I was surprised Oakland didn't sign him (a decision they'll regret when Darren McFadden breaks his femur or some other odd bone in his body by week 4).

He's not going to get you 1500 yards or anything, but both Grant and Starks had injury issues, and Starks is horribly inconsistent, it seems. It's not like Ced has to fight off an established #1 or anything.

We literally have no running back.. So, no, he has no competition. Starks has an injury history and is hurt right now. Brandon Saine who is a nice little 3rd down guy for the time being is hurt. And Alex Green our 3rd round pick a couple years ago is coming of ACL surgery and is on a snap count.

We need somebody. :yep:

I like this signing. With the way Starks has looked so far this offseason something had to be done. I'm actually surprised it took this long for a team to sign Benson.

Cedric Benson's contract w/Packers is one-year at vet minimum for his seven years in NFL: $825,000. No bonus.

ESPN

No commitment to Benson at all. If he comes in and helps us, which I expect him too... Great. If not, whatever.

Edited by Favre4Ever

3 straight 1,ooo yard seasons—which isn't really much these days, but an average of below 4 yards per carry in that time. On top of that, his yardage has declined each year, and he's fumbled 12 times in the last two seasons. He's also played all 16 games once in his career, and he isn't getting any younger.

He's not, nor has he ever been, very good, but he's better than what the Packers have. He's just a guy who can take a hit, keep a D honest, and fill a position., which is all G.B. needs.

3 straight 1,ooo yard seasons—which isn't really much these days, but an average of below 4 yards per carry in that time. On top of that, his yardage has declined each year, and he's fumbled 12 times in the last two seasons. He's also played all 16 games once in his career, and he isn't getting any younger.

He's not, nor has he ever been, very good, but he's better than what the Packers have. He's just a guy who can take a hit, keep a D honest, and fill a position., which is all G.B. needs.

Yep which is why I like the move, it also is giving Alex Green a chance to get to footbal fitness and if he can continue to progress as nicely as he has on limited snaps it could work out to be a very nice 1-2 punch from the mid part of the season.

Benson can be really serviceable for Green Bay. It's not like they are a running team or even have an interest in becoming a run-first team. All they need is a guy that can snow plow defenders. He's not the guy who exploded for Cincinatti a couple years ago, but he can definitely carry the Packers' work load expectations for a running back at this point.

It'll be interesting to watch. I'm a believe that Grant is pretty much done, and Starks was sort of an abnormality in the playoffs a couple seasons ago. Alex Green could be solid, but he has to get in shape first. So really, these guys were just looking for anyone that could run the ball when the defense gets off the line to cover the receivers.

I'd rather roll with Goodson (who should be okay). Benson is what he seems to be: a plodding guy who offers nothing in pass protection or receiving. He's fine enough depth, and he's a decent stopgap, but he's so one dimensional, it's hard to get worked up over us passing on him.

Our running back situation is abysmal right now due to all of the injuries (and the rest of the team is struggling with injuries as well). On top of that, I think our front office doesn't feel comfortable with the guys we currently have and went after a more durable and consistent back like Cedric Benson. In particular I'm interested to see what he can bring to our offense as far as pass protection and third down situations.