Vin

Panthers @ Bucs

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are hoping new coach Greg Schiano can help revive a team that ended 2011 on a 10-game losing streak.

The Carolina Panthers are sensing they may be able to reach the playoffs after Cam Newton's record-setting rookie season.

These NFC South rivals have finished in the division's bottom two spots each of the last three years, and they hope to change that in 2012 starting with Sunday's matchup at Raymond James Stadium.

The only winning season since 2009 for either of these clubs was Tampa Bay's 10-6 mark two years ago. Any cause for optimism, however, went away with last year's 10-game slide, which resulted in a 4-12 finish and the dismissal of coach Raheem Morris.

Schiano will make his NFL head coaching debut after posting a 68-67 record at Rutgers over 11 seasons, including five straight bowl victories. One of his first assignments will be to help Josh Freeman regain his confidence after the quarterback finished second in the NFL with 22 interceptions in 2011.

Freeman posted 25 touchdowns and six interceptions during the 10-win campaign the year before.

"I have an awful taste in my mouth from last season," Freeman said. "It's something I don't ever want to ever have happen again."

Carolina, meanwhile, has no doubts about its quarterback.

Newton won offensive rookie of the year honors in 2011, throwing for 21 touchdowns and rushing for 14 more - an NFL record for a quarterback. He earned a spot in the Pro Bowl and finished with 4,051 yards passing to break Peyton Manning's record for a rookie.

The Panthers won four of their final six games to finish 6-10 in 2011, and expect to contend for the postseason this year.

"I think the whole vibe around this team is different this year," Newton said. "There's a sense in the air that everybody is anticipating something great is going to happen and that's exciting."

Carolina's strong play down the stretch included two December victories over Tampa Bay by a combined score of 86-35. Newton threw for four touchdowns and ran for four more in those contests, and Schiano is very familiar with such multi-dimensional signal-callers.

"He adds a dimension to the game that I'm probably more used to coming from college than some of the guys that have been in the league for a while," Schiano said. "Doesn't mean just because you're familiar with him, doesn't mean you can stop him. He proved that last year."

The Buccaneers have made numerous changes on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, former Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson was signed to a five-year deal and former Colts tight end Dallas Clark was also brought in. A running game that produced 1,458 yards for the league's third-worst total could be better with first-round pick Doug Martin of Boise State complementing third-year back LeGarrette Blount.

Bad news came when two-time Pro Bowl right guard Davin Joseph suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. The offensive line, though, got a boost from the signing of former Saints All-Pro left guard Carl Nicks.

Tampa Bay made defensive additions after yielding an NFL-worst and franchise-record 494 points a season ago. Second-round pick Lavonte David will start at linebacker while seventh overall draft pick Mark Barron will start at strong safety, with veteran Ronde Barber shifting to free safety.

The Panthers are treating this contest like a bowl game since they arrived in Tampa early due to the Democratic National Convention being held in Charlotte this week.

"It's definitely different," coach Ron Rivera said. "A lot of guys are like, 'Hey coach it's like getting ready for a bowl game.' They have the right attitude and the right mental frame of mind going in."

Rivera said wide receiver Steve Smith and linebacker Jon Beason will play Sunday. Smith had been bothered by a left foot infection and Beason injured his hamstring early in training camp.

Smith thrived in his first season with Newton, finishing fifth in the league with 1,394 yards receiving - his highest total in three seasons.

Rivera is optimistic that Jonathan Stewart will play despite a sprained right ankle, though he is listed as questionable and hasn't practiced fully since getting hurt last month. The combination of DeAngelo Williams, Newton and Stewart helped Carolina average 150.5 yards on the ground for the league's third-best mark last year.

Defensively, linebacker Luke Kuechly of Boston College was drafted ninth overall and should boost a unit that struggled in 2011. Carolina allowed 429 points, the third-most in the NFC.

The Panthers were either ahead or tied in the fourth quarter in 12 of 16 games, but their 143 points yielded in the final period were the league's highest total.

"We have to finish," Newton said.

With playoff teams New Orleans and Atlanta comprising the rest of the division, these clubs know their head-to-head matchups take on an added importance.

"This game is huge for us," Carolina left tackle Jordan Gross said. "I know the Bucs are really wanting to rebound from last season's record that they had, and they're a good young team just like we are."

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Panthers have killed us the past few seasons by running the ball down our throat. Over the off-season we added a lot of pieces to solve that problem like Mark Barron, Lavonte David, Eric Wright and a healthy Gerald McCoy so I don't think that will happen again. I think this will be a close game, and I am really not sure who to pick as the winner. I like our chances of winning though as long as we con contain their run game.

I think the Panthers D will be better this year, and the Bucs WR's outside of Vincent still don't know how to run a damn route. Our D looks better than they were early last season, so hopefully they can put up a fight against such a run heavy; deep ball offense. I honestly see the Panthers winning in a lowish scoring game.

17 :panthers:

13: :Bucs:

After last season's 0-10 streak of getting destroyed every week I honestly will be satisfied and happy to just be competitive in games.

I'll be there though...

Like people have said, the Bucs have been getting rushed to death by Carolina which I think happens again. Panthers win big.

:panthers: 31

:Bucs: 14

Panthers declared QB Jimmy Clausen, S D.J Campbell, RB Jonathan Stewart, C Jeff Byers, T Bruce Campbell, DT Sione Fua, and DE Thomas Keiser inactive for Week 1 at Tampa Bay.

Stewart revealed this morning via social media that he would miss today's game with a sprained ankle, so expect DeAngelo Williams and Mike Tolbert to split carries with Williams taking the larger load. Keiser is one of the Panthers better pass rushers, so his listing as inactive is somewhat surprising.

Defense looked a hell of a lot better and was the only thing that kept us in this game. Solid stops all game long, (except at the very end, of course, but the Panthers defense is not the Ravens defense).

Completely shut down TB's offense in the 2nd half, but TB's defense returned the favor.

10 yards total rushing offense is a stat for Carolina that I would be shocked if we ever won a game with.

Wow, so impressed with our defense. Held the Panthers to 10 yards of rushing. Unreal. Offense looked pretty shitty in the second half, but the D kept on making big stops and forced turnovers.

If you told me the Bucs were going to put up 16 points and win today, I would have laughed in your face.

Great work D. Great work Coach Schiano. I love this new Bucs team.

Bucs showed a lot of strength in the run D and pass rush. Offense started out really strong but played pretty average the rest of the game. Communications among the secondary and LB's needs to be worked on, and of course the right side of the O-line was pretty shitty without Davin Joseph.

All together happy with what I seen from the team, I just hope they can keep it up against non-division foes as well. That was a weakness for us early last year.

Doug Martin is being used like a workhorse. I love it.

Doug Martin is being used like a workhorse. I love it.

Blount got hurt, so that's why Martin got so many touches, but Martin did look pretty damn impressive as a lone back.

Man I am so impressed with this defense. Especially Lavonte David. I think he, Clayborn and McCoy were the difference makers. McCoy was in the backfield all day, pressuring Cam and messing up their run plays. Vonte's speed on the outside kept any plays from breaking long.

Also LOVED that hit Barron put on Steve Smith. Wow did that pump me up!

A non-existent Panthers run game and typical $cam Newton were just a few of the main reasons why the Panthers lost this game. Bucs played well no doubt...but for so much hype on the Panthers going into this season. Cam Newton's offensive unit started off poorly.

Why did everyone think Cam was invulnerable to the Sophomore Slump?

Shit, I can't name a QB off the top of my head it hasn't happened to in the past few years...

*in before someone thinks of one and proves me wrong* lol

Edited by Maverick

Josh Freeman. (leaves topic quickly)

Josh Freeman. (leaves topic quickly)

:rofl:

According to the majority of this forum, he was supposed to be a top five QB by now...

Edited by Maverick

Cam wasn't great, but it's not like he was awful either. He made a few bad decisions, but the lack of running game he had didn't help.

Freeman looked solid yesterday too. His numbers may not show it but that's because we were very conservative in the 2nd half.

How did VJax do? Did he look like a receiver that just "got paid" and wasn't giving 100% out there? Heard he had 2 or 3 drops.

I hope not because he's on my fantasy team, but it was a concern I had drafting him and would like some input from fans who watched his first game.

Edited by Maverick

My numbers for VJax are 4 catches for 47 yards, targeted 7 times, and had 1 drop. He had a clutch catch at the end of the game to seal it though.