Bay

Titans running backs coach claims Chris Johnson hasn’t changed

PFT

Titans running back Chris Johnson has looked like a very, very different player since he got his big contract prior to last season. In his first three NFL seasons, Johnson averaged 98 yards a game and 4.97 yards a carry. In 17 games since signing a contract that made him one of the highest-paid running backs in the NFL last season, Johnson has averaged 62 yards a game and 3.85 yards a carry.

But Titans running backs coach Jim Skipper says Johnson is still the same player he's always been."He hasn't changed. He's always a guy who is going to read his cuts, and then he takes it and goes. He hasn't changed his style at all," Skipper said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. "You can't change a way a person walks. What you can do is just make sure they are walking in the right spots.

For the most part he has been doing that. He is not just going helter-skelter."Skipper dismisses any notion that Johnson is content now that he got paid and not working hard anymore."The guy is busting his tail, OK? Everybody has their own opinion about things, but I don't see it that way. He is a confident guy and trying to make things happen," Skipper said.

the biggest issue with CJ is that defenses have figured out how to limit his big runs, he's not breaking out into the open as much. CJ has always been a back that either gets you 1 yard (or less) or gets you 50, which averages out to the 4-5 ypc number you saw early in his career. The problem is that once defenses have figured out how to get someone in front of him and limit those 50+ yard carries to 10ish yards the average will drop substantially, and that's what I think we're seeing.

Buy or Sell... Titans regret signing CJ1k to that contract

I'm starting to think CJ and the Titans just enjoy watching Mikey divulge into rants and arguments and that's why he has not produced in over a year.

Edited by GA_Eagle

This guy was so overrated in the first place that I certainly do believe he hasn't changed.

And to think, people thought (and some still do, laughably), that he was/is better than AP. Fucking hilarious. No comparison.

Hey Bware... something you and I agree on very strongly. :D

Buy or Sell... Titans regret signing CJ1k to that contract

I'd buy that.

I think some people on here bash CJ a little too much. I mean the guy isn't awful or anything. Yea, he

He was hit behind the LOS 8 of his 11 carries... That is pathetic. Can't put all the blame on CJ.

WHAT?!!?!?

IT COULDN'T BE!!!!

IT'S ALL CJ'S FAULT!!!!!!

tumblr_ma7c07uFBo1rtu0uio1_400.gif

WHAT?!!?!?

IT COULDN'T BE!!!!

IT'S ALL CJ'S FAULT!!!!!!

tumblr_ma7c07uFBo1rtu0uio1_400.gif

lmao

We could have had DeCastro over Harris had we drafted him instead of Wright.

We could have had DeCastro over Harris had we drafted him instead of Wright.

Then he would be on IR lol.

I only bring up the draft because it was evident last season that we simply did not have the interior last season to run the ball effectively, and we had a chance to upgrade all three positions (LG, C, RG) but only ended up upgrading the LG position with Hutchinson.

I'm still holding out on an opinion on Velasco, but Harris is just horrible at run blocking and that could have been improved with us drafting DeCastro, as long as he didn't encounter an exact situation as with the Steelers that resulted in his injury.

Don't get me wrong, I am okay with the Wright pick, but to me our interior o-line was a much more glaring need and I believe that should have been addressed more than it was with just the Hutchinson signing. Thus, I believe our running game woes will probably continue unless some giddy up happens.

Edited by Titan

Just the Hutchinson signing? You make the dude sound so vanilla...

CJ had a strong finish to last season. He'll be fine.

Yeah, because he definitely suits up for the Steelers and tears his knee up in a preseason play against the Bills in that exact situation despite being on the Titans' roster.

No sarcasm for u.

Just the Hutchinson signing? You make the dude sound so vanilla...

CJ had a strong finish to last season. He'll be fine.

the guy's certainly a HOFer, but he's also 34 and not quite the same caliber player he was in Seattle seven years ago, I also think Titan was mainly referring to numbers with the "just Hutchinson" comment, we had three spots to upgrade and we just upgraded one

No one is saying its "all" CJ's fault. His O-line is letting him get beat up. But an elite RB would still be making some things happen. Not as much as with good blocking, but some.

Your O-line may be terrible, but if that's the case, your OC should be disguising it with screens, and trick plays, runs to the strong side of the O-line, give CJ a chance. He has blazing speed, no one is denying it, and if you get him a look at the open field, he will bust one. The problem is YAC, which he doesn't seem great at.

Terrible play calling today. They don't even attempt to get Johnson involved in the game. Not even screen passes. Just awful.

Terrible play calling today. They don't even attempt to get Johnson involved in the game. Not even screen passes. Just awful.

it's tough to stick with the running game when it's not working and you're down by 14+ the whole game

Chris Johnson: People need to do their jobs

Sunday was another entry into the steadily growing book of evidence that Chris Johnson's 2011 season wasn't simply an aberration.Johnson was asked why the Titans running game has gone into hibernation after the game and the running back said that the team wasn't executing well enough to succeed. At first he said that he didn't know why that was, but then he expanded his answer a bit to suggest that some members of the Tennessee team need to do a better job of doing their jobs.

"People need to step up and do their job," Johnson said, via John Glennon of theTennessean. "They don't need to let people beat them. It don't matter who the opposing defense is, you can't let your guy beat you. You just can't give up plays. You have to make plays like they make plays. I can't speak for the defense. I can only speak for the offense."

Chris Johnson admitted, hey i got this big contract, im going to be the focal point of the blame. He knows this. The team overall though, thru two games, yes against the Pats and a average IMO Chargers team BLASTED the Titans on BOTH SIDES of the ball. This team is being outcoached and outplayed. We have the players, we have the talent. We were 9-7 last year, still bitter about the bad calls in the Bengals game that we should have won. This is a playoff team. To come out and play the way we have, im lost for words. The Pats, sure i can handle LOSING to them. However, after watching the FUCKING CARDS beat them, luck or not, pisses me off.

Brady and Rivers had Pro Bowl games against us. While our offense cant stay on the field. The defense is on the field way too much. So being down 14-0, we abandon the run which makes it easy to play defense when you know we are going to throw. We arent 28 points WORSE then the Chargers. I can handle losing but i cannot handle playing under our potential week in and out. Chris Johnson needs his oline to help him out by AT LEAST letting him getting back to the LOS. CJ is still a elite RB, HOWEVER, when frusterated he will make bad decisions and tend to just say fuck it. I can say that no doubt. BUT he only gets the hate on him due to people not liking his style off the field, and him calling himself elite. The "thug" image people say he has. Most of the blame still goes to the oline yes, it still does. Blame goes where blame goes. CJ gets hit in the backfield or behind the LOS, more times then he does when he gets to the LOS. At that point, what is he to do? Just because hes not a truck RB doesnt mean hes shit. Being a one dimensional player ( speed ) doesnt get you 2000 yards. No way. If thats the case, any RB with a "great" oline would have had 2000 yards, more then just 6 RBs IN NFL HISTORY.

CJ has never missed a game, hes tough. We obviously have problems controlling gaps. I doubt anyone but Titans fans watch Titan GAMES, not highlights or stat sheets. I highly doubt it, because i see the same shit being said by other fans. Any good oline will benefit the offense, no one isnt saying that isnt true. But to say thats the ONLY reason for why he had success is stupid. Specially when i hear this great oline agruement. No, the pass blocking was the best part of the oline. Thats why Kerry Collins didnt get sacked so much. Being good at run blocking and pass blocking are TWO different things. The reason why the Niners are so good at BOTH, is because they have a oline that can DO BOTH WELL.

Roos and Stewart are the only bright spots. We have a shitty center, which normally means no success in protection or gap control. Our right guard is a pussy when it comes to run blocking. Both our center, and RG continue to get mauled at the point of attack when the run block happens. I understand CJ must produce with that contract i never said he shouldnt. Just because you dont agree doesnt mean your right. I said before years ago CJ was the best back. Yeah, but now no. I know now even if he had success hes not. He had his moment to shine at the top. Hes still ELITE however. Chris Palmer needs to call a more aggressive style of offense, and switch up the running plays for CJ. The middle is NEVER going to be open til we get a new interior oline. PERIOD. Counters, pitches , tackle runs, there are options. Some of the blame for the run goes to coaching/playcalling too. CJ runs where the play is intended and , lets face it, it aint happening lol.

My fellow Titan fans, what do you think should happen to this coaching staff? I know its early but from week one to week two i didnt seem any improvement, nor any adjustments.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Chris Johnson is averaging 1.1 yards per carry this season.

And ESPN Stats & Information says he’s averaging 1.2 yards after contact.

Johnson

The struggling back is running behind struggling blocking. And that struggling blocking is allowing defenders to get to Johnson so quickly that he’s actually gaining a little more on average after contact that he is averaging from scrimmage.

That’s beyond ridiculous for a team that is coached by a Hall of Fame offensive lineman, who has an offensive line coach who is a Hall of Famer, who had a left guard who may well join them as a Hall of Famer someday and who had a running back who once gained 2,006 yards in a season.

(Those are Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews, Steve Hutchinson, and Johnson if you needed assistance.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/41158/a-hard-to-fathom-chris-johnson-stat