Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Should the Seahawks start Matt Flynn now?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Seahawks start next week?

• Matt Flynn
    • Russell Wilson

Wilson hasn't been awful, but he also hasn't been great and they invested a lot of money in Matt Flynn. I think Wilson could be good in the future but right now, I think Matt Flynn gives the Seahawks the best chance to win and he should be their starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm gonna go with stick with the kid. I was questioning this earlier, and I think they should haved thrown Flynn into today's game to see if he could at least produce a touchdown, but if Seattle's going to let the kid develop this season they might as well keep him in there. They play Carolina next week, a game they should win. Let's see how that game goes.

• Upvote 1

Nah. Hes a rookie. Theres a reason hes the starting qb over flynn. He needs time and nothing is worse for a team than constantly switching the qb around.

• Upvote 2

Nah. Hes a rookie. Theres a reason hes the starting qb over flynn. He needs time and nothing is worse for a team than constantly switching the qb around.

Yeah. The Tarvaris Jackson treatment just damages QBs. Jackson had potential but Childress just destroyed him by pulling him if he ever had a bad game.

Not saying Jackson was ever as good as Wilson, but he was never bad and quite frankly had plenty of potential. It's an easy comparison.

I'm gonna go with stick with the kid. I was questioning this earlier, and I think they should haved thrown Flynn into today's game to see if he could at least produce a touchdown, but if Seattle's going to let the kid develop this season they might as well keep him in there. They play Carolina next week, a game they should win. Let's see how that game goes.

Really? Seattle on the road at Carolina is going to lose.

They are not as good of a team as everyone thinks they are, they are a completely different ballclub on the road.

I'd love for them to start Wilson, objectively, I think they should start Flynn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He was started over Flynn because of the explosiveness he brought to the table. The Seahawks aren't calling offensive plays that allow him to do that. They are calling plays that require a game manager. A guy who can make the throws when need be on a consistent basis. That guy is Matt Flynn.

I backed the notion to give Wilson the job at the beginning of the season. But Pete Carrol has no fucking clue what to do with him (Wilson).

The running game did EXACTLY what they needed to today for Seattle. They were punishers with the football. Even Turbin got in on the action. The defense looked solid yet again.. Bradford was held to 50% completion, under 250 yards, no TDs, and a pick... While S-Jax could only muster 3 YPC on nearly 20 totes.

The game changer? THREE interceptions by Russel Wilson... Throwing 3 picks when you are only asked to throw 20 times in four quarters is simply unacceptable. And while none of them officially counted, he did throw what amounted to 3 INT on the Seahawks last game winning drive against the Packers.

Flynn is better for this team right now and will produce a hell of a lot more than Wilson can dream of. He's a rookie, I like the potential. But Carrol gave him the nod and he has responded by making it VERY clear that he is not ready to QB at this level just yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fuck you.

• Downvote 1

^ lol

You have to stick with the rookie for at least another game, if he stinks it up again then yes, make a change and see how the other guy does.

I agree with the points that JD and Thanatos brought up, but I think you stay with him one more week, if you make a switch right after he has one bad game (not saying his others were good or great but they weren't this bad) then you run the risk of screwing with his confidence and suggesting that you have no confidence or trust in his abilities.

• Upvote 1

^ lol

You have to stick with the rookie for at least another game, if he stinks it up again then yes, make a change and see how the other guy does.

I agree with the points that JD and Thanatos brought up, but I think you stay with him one more week, if you make a switch right after he has one bad game (not saying his others were good or great but they weren't this bad) then you run the risk of screwing with his confidence and suggesting that you have no confidence or trust in his abilities.

Dude, I just have to say something, and I apologize if your signature is of people you know (assuming that they're not makes me willing to say this), but the girl in the blue Chargers jersey. Doesn't she just look like she'd be annoying? Ugh, those facial expressions, and then her bangs bunched up like that. :S

Ever notice people who just look annoying in general, before you ever even speak to them?

Edited by BwareDWare94

Russell Wilson. He's looked good enough to earn the role, IMO. He's the future of this franchise so he should be playing.

Russell Wilson earned this role, and you wisely gave it to him. What would happen if Matt Flynn played even worse than Russell Wilson (which is not all that terrible considering he's a rookie). You need stability at the QB position in the NFL, and letting a rookie develop and learn is a part of that process. Stick with Wilson for big picture purposes.

It's not like they could have turned back. It's not an option now. It would have been if they started Flynn, he's the veteran, if he screwed up you put in the young guy and say start throwing it doesn't matter. However it doesn't go the other way around, because the rookie needs to get his lumps because he's the future.

First of all, why is this question being asked? What did Russell Wilson do to make you question his abilities? They handed the ball off, they gave him zero time to throw the ball, and his receivers fell down. Lock the fucking topic.

• Downvote 2

First of all, why is this question being asked? What did Russell Wilson do to make you question his abilities? They handed the ball off, they gave him zero time to throw the ball, and his receivers fell down. Lock the fucking topic.

The last four weeks.

Also, whining and telling people to lock a discussion topic because you don't agree is pretty dumb.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He doesn't have very many opportunities to make big plays. He's being asked to play conservative and take what the defense gives him. Don't take shots down the field. Run down sidelines and pick up first downs with your legs. Hand the ball off the Lynch. Make all the dink and dunk passes that will slowly eat away at the other teams' defenses. They don't want the guy throwing for 5,000 yards and 40 TDs. He isn't being given the game plan that RG3 and Cam Newton are. Pulling a guy who is executing the game plan you asked him to execute makes no sense at all. He won't be taking shots down the field or getting away from bread and butter until these types of things are implemented in the game plan. He also won't complete game winning touchdowns when receivers drop passes and fall down like they did in both of our losses. We're 2-2. This isn't panic button and try experiments time. This is the time to evaluate his targets and linemen and implement small changes in the game plan to figure out how we can move the chains and punch the ball into the end zone from the red zone.

• Downvote 1

Russell Wilson Pete even says he is still the guy.

2 of his 3 interceptions was a guy falling flat on his butt literally and the other one was Baldwin having it ripped out of his hands.

My problem with yesterday was the coaching i don't know how many 3rd and longs the Rams picked up and then the onside kick i could understand if we had the Saints Defense we were only down 6 points!

Edited by Sacks98

Is Carrol supporting Wilson because he actually has faith in him... or because he has no other option?

"We have a little bit of a problem with Matt," Carroll said. "Matt's still not full-speed. Anybody that thinks, OK, let's go with the other guy, well, he can't practice yet. ... He throws 15 throws a day, a couple days a week, so that's not really enough to get him ready in a game plan. He has to throw 50 balls a day to get ready, so that's not even an issue for us yet to have a chance to put him in."

NFL.com

Is Carrol supporting Wilson because he actually has faith in him... or because he has no other option?

NFL.com

Funny because when he talked to the media on 9/20 or was it 9/21 i can't remember Flynn was ready to go if needed to be called upon now he is hurt which is it? lol

Edited by Sacks98

Nope. That ship sailed on August 26th.

The Seahawks don't need to start Flynn. They need Carroll and Bevil to stop babying Wilson. They're running nothing but simplistic and transparent plays and refuse to let him be the captian and run his offense. You can't keep undermining the kid like that. Wilson is a very analytical person. He's always studying and trying to learn more. For a person like that, and I know this because I am the same way, your confidence comes from your knowledge of the subject. By undermining his descision making and basically questioning his knowledge and telling him "you're not ready to run our offense" they're killing his confidence, and you can see it happening more and more every week.

Think about it. During the preseason when they just let Wilson be Wilson he lit it up. Then when the season started they held him to this simple bare bones offense and are basically treating him like he's an idiot. The result is this catastrophic drop off in offensive production we've seen. If we want to turn things around, Carroll has to stop micro-managing Wilson to death and let him lead his troops. Take the kid gloves off, and let him put himself out there and build confience with his men and show them he's a leader. Show the kid you believe in him otherwise he's just going to continue to fade away like this.

Edited by Jayrus

I agree with that to an extent, Jayrus... But the problem is... Wilson might just not be ready for that at this level, in the regular season yet.

I do agree though that they are babying him, though. They are trying to hide him in their offense... It seems like they have completely cut out 3/4 of their playbook and are trying EVERYTHING they can to keep him from making big throws in big moments. The Seahawks might have the most vanilla offense in the NFL. Not an absolutely terrible thing when you have a run game like they do... But they need more production out of the QB position.

I agree with that to an extent, Jayrus... But the problem is... Wilson might just not be ready for that at this level, in the regular season yet.

I do agree though that they are babying him, though. They are trying to hide him in their offense... It seems like they have completely cut out 3/4 of their playbook and are trying EVERYTHING they can to keep him from making big throws in big moments. The Seahawks might have the most vanilla offense in the NFL. Not an absolutely terrible thing when you have a run game like they do... But they need more production out of the QB position.

Possibly, but how can you know that until you let him try? So far I haven't seen anything to suggest Wilson can't do it. He makes perfect passes... and his recievers drop them, or worse fuck up so gloriously that his great pass turns into a pick. Aside for being a little too quick to scramble on occasion (and let's face it. If your coach pretty much tells you every week he doesn't trust you to throw the ball, wouldn't you try to run?) I've not seen many mistakes that were soley on him save for a handfull of bad throws, and let's face it. Even the guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 make a few bad throws a game. the point is you have to give the kid a chance to TRY before you decide he can't do it. He's proven to you he deserve the chance, so let him have the reins and see how he does.

• Upvote 1

It's not like they could have turned back. It's not an option now. It would have been if they started Flynn, he's the veteran, if he screwed up you put in the young guy and say start throwing it doesn't matter. However it doesn't go the other way around, because the rookie needs to get his lumps because he's the future.

I agree with JD's points but this is pretty much my thinking. If you make the decision to go with the future and start Wilson, you have to ride it out.