Vin

Titans @ Vikings

Now fully healthy, Adrian Peterson is a big reason the Minnesota Vikings are tied atop the NFC North.

The Tennessee Titans hope Chris Johnson's latest performance is the start of good things to come for them and their star running back.

Looking to continue their surprising start, Peterson and the Vikings can surpass their win total from last season with a third consecutive victory Sunday against the banged-up Titans at the Metrodome.

Minnesota's 3-13 season in 2011 was made worse when Peterson tore his ACL at Washington on Christmas Eve. Nine months later, he has recovered enough to regain his status as one of the NFL's top running backs, helping the Vikings (3-1) to a share of the division lead with Chicago.

"We want to embrace it," coach Les Frazier said. "It was one of our goals when the season began, to win the NFC North."

Minnesota might have a good chance to achieve that goal if Peterson continues to run as well as he did last week. Though the Vikings rank 21st in total offense at 321.8 yards per game, they are 10th in rushing at 122.8.

Peterson, who's run for 332 yards and two touchdowns, carried 21 times for 102 yards in a 20-13 win at Detroit on Sunday - his first 100-yard game since Oct. 23.

"I felt real good," Peterson said. "I feel myself just continue to get stronger each week."

Though the Vikings don't have the NFL's most potent offense, they have a chance to succeed with Peterson and the running game producing.

"As long as we're winning, I'll keep handing it off to Adrian and Toby (Gerhart) back there and they're going to keep chugging along," said quarterback Christian Ponder, who has a 97.7 passer rating while throwing four touchdowns and no interceptions. "As an offense, we're going to keep doing what we're supposed to be doing to win games."

Minnesota did not score an offensive touchdown last weekend but returned the opening kickoff and a punt for scores.

Peterson - who ran for 80 yards and two TDs in a 30-17 loss at Tennessee on Sept. 28, 2008 - and the Vikings' offense could be in for a big afternoon against a squad that ranks last in the NFL with 37.8 points allowed per contest.

The Titans (1-3) hope to see improvement on the defensive side, especially if starting linebacker Colin McCarthy is able to return after missing the last three games with an ankle injury.

As badly as Tennessee's defense has played, the team's biggest concern might be on the other side of the ball. The Titans have been held to 14 or fewer points in three games and head into this contest with quarterback issues.

Jake Locker separated his shoulder in a 38-14 loss at Houston on Sunday, leaving veteran Matt Hasselbeck to start despite throwing a pair of interceptions the Texans returned for touchdowns.

Locker won't dress Sunday.

The status of star receiver Kenny Britt, meanwhile, is uncertain as he looks to return after missing last week with an ankle injury.

Despite the lopsided defeat Sunday, the Titans might have reason to be optimistic after Johnson enjoyed his best performance of 2012.

Perhaps the biggest individual disappointment of the young season, Johnson totaled 45 yards on 33 carries through the first three games before running 25 times for 141 yards against the Texans.

"I think (last weekend) helped us take a step," said Johnson, who had averaged 34.2 yards in his previous seven games before breaking out. "I wouldn't say we ultimately solved the problem, but I feel like we took a good step, and hopefully we continue to get better."

Johnson also believes he's not the only one responsible for the Titans' early struggles on the ground.

"Like I've been saying all year, I'm going to be as good as my offensive line," Johnson said. "They had a great game (versus Houston) and I feel like that's why the running game did well."

Johnson rushed for 61 yards and two touchdowns on 17 attempts against the Vikings in 2008.

Minnesota won 20-3 in the teams' most recent meeting at the Metrodome on Oct. 24, 2004.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

A wild Chris Johnson appears. Titans win.

Edited by Vin

We should win this despite how bad our coaching has been. If we lose this ima flip. This is one of those wins we should be favored in. Ponder doesnt scare me at all, AP well if he gets loose we are in trouble.

23-20 Titans

• Downvote 2

We should win this despite how bad our coaching has been. If we lose this ima flip. This is one of those wins we should be favored in. Ponder doesnt scare me at all, AP well if he gets loose we are in trouble.

23-20 Titans

Do you even watch football? The Vikings have been lights out lately.

You "should" win this? You think Tennessee is the better team?

The Vikes are better than the Titans. If the Titans win its an upset.

Minnesota in a blowout, that Titans defense is terrible, and the Vikes defense is great.

:Vikings: 31

:Titans: 16

Edited by Thanatos19

You "should" win this? You think Tennessee is the better team?

The Vikes are better than the Titans. If the Titans win its an upset.

Minnesota in a blowout, that Titans defense is terrible, and the Vikes defense is great.

:Vikings: 31

:Titans: 16

I'm not so sure about a blowout. I mean, I hope you're right, but Matt Hasselbeck is the kind of savvy smart that Matt Stafford isn't. Stafford threw at least three passes last week that damn near hit Harrison Smith in the hands. If the kid was used to getting a bead on the ball at the NFL level, the Vikes might have won by more last week. I don't think Hass makes those throws. It all comes down to the Viking offense. They either pick it up after last week's horrid showing or it could be a closer game than it ought to be.

:Vikings: 27

:Titans: 10

So yeah, I think double digit win, too, but don't be surprised if it isn't like that.

I think the Titans are a young and upcoming team. But they are still a year or more away from really competing again. I'd love to see Hass light up the scoreboard, I really really would. Just not sure how likely that is.

Ponder has been so deadly efficient that paired with the AP, the Vikings have one scary offense.

Vikings - 20

Titans - 13

the Vikings have been a lot better than I think anyone really expected, but this is still a team we need to at least hang with if we want to be taken seriously, I really hope we pull this one off

I'm not so sure about a blowout. I mean, I hope you're right, but Matt Hasselbeck is the kind of savvy smart that Matt Stafford isn't. Stafford threw at least three passes last week that damn near hit Harrison Smith in the hands. If the kid was used to getting a bead on the ball at the NFL level, the Vikes might have won by more last week. I don't think Hass makes those throws. It all comes down to the Viking offense. They either pick it up after last week's horrid showing or it could be a closer game than it ought to be.

:Vikings: 27

:Titans: 10

So yeah, I think double digit win, too, but don't be surprised if it isn't like that.

Says he's not so sure about a blowout.

Has Vikings winning by more than the guy he quoted.

:troll:

Vikings declared WR Jarius Wright, S Mistral Raymond, S Andrew Sendejo, LB Marvin Mitchell, OL Mark Asper, and DE D'Aundre Reed inactive for Week 5 against the Titans.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson is the third quarterback. Raymond and Sendejo have ankle injuries. Mitchell is out with a calf injury.

Jake Locker (shoulder) is inactive for Week 5 against the Vikings.

Locker has a separated left shoulder, so Matt Hasselbeck will draw the start. Locker's status for Week 6 is still cloudy, so check back this week for updates.

The Titans also declared RB Jamie Harper, OLs Mike Otto and Deuce Lutui, WR Lavelle Hawkins, LB Patrick Bailey, and DE Scott Solomon inactive.

Do you even watch football? The Vikings have been lights out lately.

I do and when our dumb coaching staff calls a actually good game i would say we are the better team. We went 9-7 last yr with basically the same team. Grays right though, we have been soft as well as the playcalling. Vikings, average to me still. Ponder hasnt done anything to make him any better then last yr but a game manager. AP is looking great though and if we dont contain him he'll hurt us. Vikings had a good surprise win vs San Fran but i dont buy them at all and i believe they will go below 500. in the following weeks. Im not being a homer about it i really feel we are better despite the shit calling weve had this year. Besides only really win i figured we have was Vs Detriot, now this one. Compared to the Pats, Chargers and Texans, Vikings arent in that catagory as far as im concerned.

bad defense by Verner on that long pass to Harvin, you can't line up in press coverage then watch as the receiver runs past you

Nevermind, coaching staff refuses to make adjustments and continue to run the same shit and wonder why it doesnt work. Fucking morons...

the Titans' gameplan for every game so far: run, run, incompletion, punt

the Titans' gameplan for every game so far: run, run, incompletion, punt

Sounds like they tried to get tips from Tommy Bowden...

well, we're holding them to field goals, unfortunately they're getting a lot of them

alright we're not getting shut outparty0048.gif

looks like this is going to be a long year, any progress on the NHL lockout?

alright we're not getting shut outparty0048.gif

looks like this is going to be a long year, any progress on the NHL lockout?

Doubt it. :(

The Vikings defense is for real, man.

I had them chalked up as a win on the schedule before the season started, but now I am not looking forward to playing them in 3 weeks.

How did Ponder look?

How did Ponder look?

He threw his first 2 INT's of the season today, but I've been impressed with Ponder overall. The Vikings D has been playing so well so the Vikings are telling him to be a game manager and he is fulfilling that role very well so far.