Sign in to follow this  
Franchise 5

NFL investigates Chargers for using 'Stickum'

The NFL is investigating the San Diego Chargers for the alleged use of "Stickum," a sticky substance that gives teams a competitive advantage when it comes to catching footballs.

It's believed some Chargers players used the adhesive in "one or more games" this season. "We are looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed. In last week's meltdown loss to the Broncos, an official confiscated a sticky substance from a member of the Chargers' equipment staff. The substance is currently being tested by the league offense. "We are aware of the inquiry," the Chargers said in a statement, "and we are cooperating fully with the league."

Hahaha. No wonder why the Chargers blew the lead. Cheaters gon cheat.

You should post links with the stories. :yep:

Why the hell would you try this in today's game? Like that would go unnoticed, lmao.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they wouldn't need stick-em if they stepped up and gave money to a stud WR like V-Jax? :troll:

• Upvote 1

lol that member of the equipment staff who got caught with that shit

Hahaha. No wonder why the Chargers blew the lead. Cheaters gon cheat.

That doesn't even make sense... lol The Chargers don't have a problem catching the ball, they have a problem stepping on their own dicks.

Also, it's not even confirmed, at this point it's just a report that a towel was confiscated by an official. The 'sticky substance' needs to be tested by the league for this story to be confirmed. I know the current state of the Chargers is a fucking joke but I'm not going to call them cheaters until it's been confirmed.

I was reading something that mentioned the rule regarding substances used to increase grip and apparently the substance is only illegal if it leaves a residue on the ball or uniforms etc, which I thought was odd. Basically, there's no need to use 'stickum', the nike gloves they wear are coated with a high friction silicon that helps with catching the ball anyways.

I was reading something that mentioned the rule regarding substances used to increase grip and apparently the substance is only illegal if it leaves a residue on the ball or uniforms etc, which I thought was odd. Basically, there's no need to use 'stickum', the nike gloves they wear are coated with a high friction silicon that helps with catching the ball anyways.

Man, you aren't kidding, especially if you spit on them. Don't know what the science is behind it.. but it works.

Think that'd count as illegal in the NFL?

I would think that if NFL fans have learned anything as of late, it's not to jump to conclusions when dealing with a "cheating" situation.

Me personally, I'm not sure why they would even bother using the 'Stickum'. I mean, doesn't your Quarterback actually have to throw TO his receivers for it to have an effect? Perhaps the word I should have emphasized was HIS, not TO. Ah screw it, emphasize them both. Rivers is terrible.

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 7, 2012, 4:00 PM EST

The Chargers are mostly out of a sticky situation.

While they’ve been cleared for their alleged use of a stickum, they will have to pay a $20,000 fine for not immediately following directions of game officials, according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego.

The NFL cleared them of any wrongdoing from the incident during their Oct. 15 game with the Broncos, when officials questioned a towel which a member of their equipment staff carried onto the field during a timeout.

The towels were provided by Gorilla Gold, and includes a wax-based substance similar to the tacky surface of gloves players wear. The league conducted a three-week investigation, and found the towels were widely used and gave no competitive advantage. However, they won’t be allowed on game days the rest of the season, and the league’s competition committee may review their use later.

The fine stems from the fact the fact the equipment man didn’t immediately come clean, as it were, when asked what he was packing. The Chargers are appealing.

“As a result of the failure of club staff to follow the directive of a game official to immediately surrender the towels when directed to do so,” the league said in a statement, “and to attempt to conceal the towels, the Chargers have been fined $20,000.”

Frankly, it’s kind of a boring end to a story that seemed interesting at one time. It’ll get even worse when the league announces a partnership with an official sticky towel manufacturer, a transaction which will likely involve more than $20,000 changing hands.

Source: ProFootballTalk

More money for Goodells piggy bank. I hope he dies soon...and painfully.

• Downvote 1

Norv probably has everyone doing overtime to save his job. It's probably just a collection of jizz rags from the staff that got into the game towels. They gotta let out some steam somehow.