WindyCitySports

Lyrical Geniuses

So, I have always used the term "lyrical genius" to describe a small group of artists that I believe are above the rest when it comes to symbolism behind lyrics and just overall genius in the structure of their lyrics. Go ahead and post some, and it would be best to post a video that shows us an example of the artist that you believe is a "lyrical genius."

I'll start by saying that the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think "lyrical genius" is Simon & Garfunkel. There are so many examples, but this is perhaps their best:

Edited by WindyCitySports
  • Upvote 1

Every time I've ever had a song quote for a signature it's been from the Mountain Goats, so...John Darnielle > all.

Lupe

Too many songs to list. Will list other artists in due time

• Upvote 1

For me, Brand New is the one band that gets me with their lyrics. Jesse Lacey (their singer) is a lyric genius IMO. Here are a few examples.

Song starts at 0:45 but the first 45 seconds tells what the song was written about for a better understanding of the song.

Just a few.

Edited by Pwillie52
  • Upvote 1

Jim Morrison.

• Upvote 1

Every time I've ever had a song quote for a signature it's been from the Mountain Goats, so...John Darnielle > all.

Decided to give some examples:

In no order: NAS, Biggie (R.I.P), Big L (R.I.P.), 2PAC (R.I.P) as far as hip hop MCs go, for me ...

• Upvote 1

I'll just throw out an off the wall one but since it is lyrical and not musical Wierd "Al" Yankovic. And he has been doing his thing for over 40 years now.

Isaac Brock and not just because of his last name haha. Neil Young, Adam Duritz. I could go on forever haha. Nas is a great one for hip hop.

• Upvote 1

One of my top artists is Counting Crows, and one of the things that first got me interested in them was the lyrics in Mrs. Potter's Lullaby. I consider Adam Duritz a lyrical genius.

I have to say Tupac was the epitome of lyrical genius when he was in his prime.

"Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right/ 'Cause both black and white are smokin' crack tonight/ And only time we deal is when we kill each other/ It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other."

"When I talk about money all you see is the struggle/ When I tell you I'm livin' large, you tell me it's trouble."

'I Ain't Mad Atcha'

"Dear mama, don't cry, your baby boy's doin' good/ Tell the homies I'm in heaven and they ain't got hoods/ Seen a show with Marvin Gaye last night, it had me shook/ Drinkin' Peppermint Schnapps with Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke."

"Fingertips on the hips as I dip, gotta get a tight grip, don't slip/ Loose lips sink ships, it's a trip/ I love the way she licks her lips, see me jocking/ Put a little twist in her hips 'cause I'm watching."

"They say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice/ I say the darker the flesh, then the deeper the roots."

"They say there ain't hope for the youth, but the truth is that it ain't no hope for the future"

"I been really wanting babies,so i can see a part of me that wasnt always shady"

This is probably my favorite verse from any of his songs, the opening and then closing lines of "Me Against The World":

"Can you picture my prophecy?

Stress in the city, the cops on top of me

The projects is full of bullets, the bodies is dropping

There ain't no stopping me

Constantly moving while making millions

Witnessing killings, leaving dead bodies in abandoned buildings

Can't reach the children cause they're illing

Addicted to killing and the appeal from the cap peeling

Without feeling, but will they last or be blasted?

Hard headed bastard

Maybe he'll listen in his casket -- the aftermath

More bodies being buried

I'm losing my homies in a hurry

They're relocating to the cemetery

Got me worried, stressing, my vision's blurried

The question is will I live? No one in the world loves me

I'm headed for danger, don't trust strangers

Put one in the chamber whenever I'm feeling this anger

Don't wanna make excuses, cause this is how it is

What's the use? Unless we're shooting no one notices the youth

It's just me against the world baby"

(Verse 4)

With all this extra stressing

The question I wonder is after death, after my last breath

When will I finally get to rest through this suppression?

They punish the people that's asking questions

And those that possess, steal from the ones without possessions

The message I stress: to make it stop study your lessons

Don't settle for less - even the genius asks his questions

Be grateful for blessings

Don't ever change, keep your essence

The power is in the people and politics we address

Always do your best, don't let the pressure make you panic

And when you get stranded

And things don't go the way you planned it

Dreaming of riches, in a position of making a difference

Politicians and hypocrites, they don't wanna listen

If I'm insane, it's the fame made a brother change

It wasn't nothing like the game

It's just me against the world

Edited by Duck Fallas

Big L, Tupac, Biggie are at the top...

but I gotta throw in Immortal Tech... the man drops mad bars.

• Upvote 1

^ To finally see a Big L post makes me happy lol. People always mention Tupac and Biggie who are legends but Big L was on his way to the top. I got Zack into Immortal Technique and Zack hates rap. Thats saying something. Freestyle him and he will just Destroy u. Heres a list of good lyrical rappers. Im in the underground genre of hiphop and some mainstream as well.

Canibus - People hate him after he dissed J Cole but this mans body of work is crazy. Depth, idea wise, his style to his lyrics IMO are unmatched. Hes like the professor of lyrics. Lyrically hes #1 to me.

Immortal Technique - My favorite lyrical artist easily. He has power and knowledge in his work, not to mention he is fucking crazy when it comes to freestyling. I dont think there is a better MC at freestyling then Tech. To see what i mean, listen to the freestyle after Dance With The Devil. He also talks government lies and bushit they do.

Tupac/Biggie - Both are great but i always liked Tupac over Biggie. Both have different styles and approaches when it comes to rapping. Tupac is the story teller. He has a poetic mind, not to mention several books of poems and things like that. Biggie had the flow, the hip hop MC swag if u will back then that was unmatched. Like i said different styles to both of them, but u cant go wrong with either one.

Big L - I call him grandaddy punchline because back then having his style of punchlines was unheard of. He was ahead of his time much like Biggie and Tupac. Died early to HIV but the man could flow, spit, rhyme and come up with unheard punchlines. If you want to see what i mean listen to "Let Em Have It L"

Tech N9ne - He Isn't always on his top game when it comes to lyrics but he has alot of good shit lyrically. Not to mention hes all over the place on his style. He can rap his ass off and has some rock feel to some of his music. Hes been around a long time in the hip hop game and still killing it. I put him on this list to give him props he isnt always getting. Give or take on him ive seen, u either like him or don't care for him.

Eminem - Ask anyone in hip hop, YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THE WHITE BOY! I said you don't, wanna fuck with Shady.. why? Because Shady, will FUCKIN KILL YOU. Haha. He had alot going against him being white and.entering a black culture of music and went to the top. I know he has his drama in his music sometimes but the man is a true artist. The way he comes up with rhyming is genius. He can do everything and anything in his music. No hate here.

Army Of The Pharoahs - Can be hostile in their music but Vinne Paz and them boys can spit some real. Im sure some of you have never heard of em. They have a different style and tempo to their music. Lyrically they may not be the best but they have some good shit. As a group they one of the best groups lyrically and i find alot of their beats genius when it comes to matching the song with the beat.

Bone Thugz - Found by Easy E, he help put them on the map back then. Gotta love Bone thugz, "Crossroads" was in the top 100 best ever Hip Hop songs ever. They put emotion and grace into their music. They talk about the real and i Can't hate em. They have to be considered one of the better lyrical groups in the game. Been around awhile too.

Busta Rhymes - Busta Bust flipmodeeeeeeeeee!! I know hes been mainstream but this guy is fucking bonkers on the flow and delivery. He has alot of good lyrically shit as well. Hes underrated Imo because not enough people give him his props. His flow and delivery alone is one of the best i've ever seen or heard. Yall heard of him , you just gotta know what to listen too from him. I like most of his stuff personally and im for the hip hop flavor. Gotta have lyrics for me to give you props as a MC.

Cassidy/Chamillionaire/Ludacris - I put all 3 together beause i find myself finding all three of them underrated in the lyric game. Mainstream rappera but when they get serious on lyrics, these boys can get lyrically. Chamillionaire used to be King Koopa, his mixtapes are fire boy. Luda and Cham both when serious, are crazy on the lyrics. Just like i mentioned with the others, you just gotta know what to listen too. Cassidy fell off i admit but his old shit i can't hate on. Great freestyler too. Punchlines are all three specials and can do a bit more as well. Give or take on them, they should get props either way.

Classified - White guy outta Canada, makes alot of his own beats and spits on them. He is real on the world today and life itself. Has lots of lyrically good stuff and u gotta appreciate the work he does for Hip Hop. One of those non sellouts when it came to being heard. If you dont know of him, give em a try.

Common - a true Hip Hop artist. The feel in his music appreciates what he does. Underrated as a lyrical artist imo. Has a way of capturing the feel of the music he makes and he tries. He doesn't just make music for money, he wants to BE HIP HOP.

Dead Prez - Another political rap type style like Immortal Technique, just not on his level with lyrics. They still put out some dope tracks on the government though. Now ot seems they wanted to have a mainstream feel to the beat while they lyrically produce on their tracks. Underrated since alot of today hip hop listeners don't know about them.

Fabolous - Mainstream but this man is the best punchline artist in the game today, bar none. His old stuff made making music about love and shit cool. Can freestyle and kill a rapper when he wants too. Beyond his i get money mainstream shit, Fab is the truth. Hes done it all and now hes just sitting on his wallet. One ofmy favorites personally.

Lupe - Another mainstream artist who spits on real shit. Lasers was beast imo. His old stuff, the Cool, is his bdst imo. He was at the peak of his game then. Still good now i just like his old stuff. Knows alot about hip hop and the movement and other music as well. Cant hate on Lupe son..

Method Man/Redman/WuTang- Wu Tang in the building! Method man has the best delivery ive ever heard. He makes it seem effortless when he spits. Cool, collected and fire when it comes to making music. Meth is one of my top favs also. Redman is just silly on his music. He has good shit too, hes not better then Meth but he is a great #2 to Meth. Wu Tang as a whole i fuck with them heavy. GhostFace Killa nice as a ghostwriter as well. I always find myself liking anything they put out. Killa Beessss.

Nas - Can't leave out one of the greata in Mr. Nasir Jones. Had one of the best ever with Illamatic album. Now he is like most old scholl rappers, just making moneh. Nothing else to accomplish imo. Hes done it, he came he beat it hes a great. Now he sits back and enjoys it. Much like to "Cant forget about you" , the verses in that song are what hes doing now.

Outkast - Mr 3000 is one of the craziest bar droppers there is. Hes so skillful when it comes to flow and delivery and VERY underrated when it comes to lyrics. Big Boi who i appeal to more has the tough lyrics to him. Group wise they might be the best. Outkast is unhatable imo. Their music is why i got into hip hop heavy back on the days. Im sorry MS Jackson haha.

Pharoahe Monch - Another political rapper. His album W.A.R ( We Are Renegades ) showed that. Lyrically underrated and he needs to be heard more. Hes worked with a bunch of lyrical rappers and compliments hip hop very well. Just check em out, its one thing to read these, its another to actually listen.

Wiz Khalifa - Before i get the what!?! Comments lemme explain. Not his new shit but his old shit. Even in his new shit he shows he can spit, flow and deliver on the track. To find him lyrically, u have to go back before he blew up. Prince of the City 1 & 2. He has taken classical music and turned em into some tight beats. Lyrically he has it , he just makes money now. He has punchlines for days and some different approaches when it came to lyrics. But i mean u can hate em but he was clever. Was my favorite rapper back when nobody heard of him. I used to say u needa listen to Wiz and people would be like, psh he sucks. Now everybody is on his dick smh. Put Pittsburg on the map. "100 niggas with hammers now thats what i call a Steel Curtain"

A Tribe Called Quest - Q Tip man gotta say hes not looked at as a great lyricist but i dont understand how. True hip hop feel, if u appreciate hip hop then u gotta give them a listen. Old scholl in many ways and i think 90 babies would appeal to them more then new school listeners.

Big Pun - One of the best lyricists there was. R.I.P to a lyrical legend easily. Hes not Tupac or Biggie but he could destroy a muhfucka man. I know Fat Joe has some OK stuff but he has nothing on his bro. Nothing. True lyric rap lovers gotta mess with Pun.

K Rino - All i gotta say is listen to Book Number 7 , his opening verse on that is just a intro to a great lyricist. Flow, delivery all on point. Comes off as Tech N9ne or Twista when it comes to rapping so damn fast. Another rapper who isnt well known, least i dont think.

Slaughterhouse - Im sure some have heard of em. Lyrically these boys get after the track Joe, Royce, Crooked man them boys go hard. You have to be in that style of rap to like them im sure. They have more of an aggressive style approach but u gotta mention them lyrically.

Talib Kweli - Def underrated and true hip hop fans would agree with me putting Talib on this long ass list. Another true hip hop feel artist. He may come off boring to the nonlisteners of hiphop but the man is def a lyricist.

Jay Electronica - I gotta say hes a up and coming. While most people talk about Kendrick Lamar and J Cole, im talkin about Jay. He has alot of good verses and the song Exihbit A has ond of the most inspiring beats ive ever heard. I like J Cole and Kendrick and they have been mentioned before my list. I wont include them but they have good lyrics and different styles.

Eternia/Jean Grae - When i say these two FEMALE ARTISTS GO HARD , they GO HARD. Jean is the better lyricist while Eternia is more of the bar dropper. Both these women will cut ur dick off , blend it up and eat it with no hot sauce. I dont discriminate and these two are def one of the best at what they do.

I dont include Kanye or Jay Z types. Kanye is ok but i think hes over played tbh. Jay Z is mainstreams king todayn hes ok too but their style gets outplayed quick.

I love hip hop and good lyrics. If i got Zack into a artist i figure i can spread the knowledge around. I cant win em all with this list but lyrically, these artists have to be mentioned. If i think of anymore, I'll add on to it. This took me an hour to do haa, and it was on my phone so sorry on advance for typos.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Cant forget about Cyhi The Prynce, I cant believe I left him off the list.

Haa that rhymed too, man has punchlines, and a different flow. I know he isn't well known just yet but I think he will blow up big time.